The Dallas Stars 2024 Playoffs Thread

I've been crazy busy lately. Have barely gotten to watch any Rangers or Texas baseball or NBA playoffs let alone hockey. Glad to see them turn this series around.

Gonna try and tune in for G6.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I've been crazy busy lately. Have barely gotten to watch any Rangers or Texas baseball or NBA playoffs let alone hockey. Glad to see them turn this series around.

Gonna try and tune in for G6.

Oh no you’re not, mister. Get busy getting busy during g6. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Oh no you’re not, mister. Get busy getting busy during g6. 

I don't think I'm the good luck charm. I didn't watch the 2 home losses to kick things off. 

A few of us have picked on Otter for seemingly lackadaisical focus and/or letting in the occasional softy but he made a game-saving stop on Stephenson last night in the waning mins. Heard this stat this AM — he’s faced 56 shots in this series in 116 mins of 3rd period and overtime and has made all 56 stops.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

A few of us have picked on Otter for seemingly lackadaisical focus and/or letting in the occasional softy but he made a game-saving stop on Stephenson last night in the waning mins.

Speaking of, WTF were Miro and Harley doing on that play?

33 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Speaking of, WTF were Miro and Harley doing on that play?

I'd have to go back and look. It was a weird hop but at that stage of the game with a 1-goal lead, you cannot get yourself in bad situations like that. It seems like Harley's play has dipped exponentially from the regular season to the postseason thus far, at least moreso than any other Star.

That was about as intense of a game/atmosphere as I've seen in that building.   Particularly with the ref fuckery the first 2 periods.   Live playoff hockey is the best.  Then capping it off with a big Mavs win was a nice touch.  I'm struggling today.

• Hook 'Em 3

Decided to google "2021 NHL draft grades..."

image.thumb.png.82705cf571821d4a131cd131595b3bdd.png

B-R:

Dallas Stars

Forward Wyatt Johnston was a reach at 23rd overall, though he didn't play last year because the OHL season was canceled. It's possible there is growth in his game yet to be shown.

Regardless, Dallas made up for that choice with its later selections. Logan Stankoven at 47th overall was the steal of the draft. He has incredible, dynamic skill and could become a scoring second line forward in the NHL. He could have gone as high as 15th overall. There's also a lot to like about Ayrton Martino and Conner Roulette, both wingers with NHL upside, in the middle rounds.

Grade: B+

Hockeywriters.com:

Dallas Stars
Wyatt Johnston will probably never become a high-end scoring center, but he may be a Selke Award winner one day. With how successful the Tampa Bay Lightning was with a third line centered by two-way dynamo Yanni Gourde, it’s always good to look for those players in the draft. Having said that, selecting him at 23rd overall is reaching a bit since he was ranked to go in the middle of the second round.

There were picks throughout their draft that I liked. I have been a fan of Logan Stankoven all season, and to see him go in the second was a complete surprise, so a big win for the Stars there. Artem Grushnikov is a bruising defensive defenceman that already has a solid defensive hockey IQ, and Connor Roulette, Jack Bar, and Francesco Arcuri are picks with intriguing potential. Apart from the questionable first-round pick, their 2021 Draft class was pretty solid.

Grade: A

Sporting News:

image.png.1c5cdfbcce5e68fb0bd7ef77ab8dafae.png

Athl:

image.png.d88fed461af9dd34c98b18c28e854e69.png

Another SN?

image.png.3aa8bb2e9d6e08b467ccf78f4904fa04.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Good finds. Those are fun to read. I admittedly don't follow too much until they get to Dallas. Any of the other guys discussed still in our future, or have they washed out already?

I said as much last night and we can all agree the refs suck, but their hands were tied on the penalty to Seguin's face

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Good finds. Those are fun to read. I admittedly don't follow too much until they get to Dallas. Any of the other guys discussed still in our future, or have they washed out already?

Lian Bichsel is the next Stars star. Mark it

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If he was bleeding, why couldn’t they use the same rule/concept as high sticking and give him a double minor?  Could they not also give him a misconduct for that non hockey play?

I could be mistaken but I don't believe it's possible to have a double-minor call for anything other than high-sticking penalties. Everything else is a minor, major or match penalty.

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If he was bleeding, why couldn’t they use the same rule/concept as high sticking and give him a double minor?  Could they not also give him a misconduct for that non hockey play?

Because hockey has a lot of stupid fucking rules.