UT Pro-Palestine Protest Thread

Captainant

12 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

It’s actually nobodys fucking business why someone is wearing a mask on their face. Y’all get hung up on some weird shit.  

This is my initial reaction, especially if it's in the context of mainstream political speech like this. Whether I agree with the speech or not, If someone wants to hide his identity when protesting, why should I care? Then I consider KKK members wearing masks to burn crosses. For them -- hell no. Show your face. But then, you can’t ban masks for only some categories of speech. It’s a hard question.

11 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

Whether I agree with the speech or not, If someone wants to hide his identity when protesting, why should I care? Then I consider KKK members wearing masks to burn crosses. For them -- hell no.

Comparing a blue COVID mask to a KKK hood is certainly a take. 

Posted (edited)

COVID, identity protection, fellow hippies are smelly, Micro plastics are in the air, Abbott pooped his chair again. I don’t give a shit why you’re wearing a medical mask.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hank_Hill said:

COVID, identity protection, fellow hippies are smelly, Micro plastics are in the air, Abbott pooped his chair again. I don’t give a shit why you’re wearing a medical mask.

One day when you’re running the school your opinion will matter.  The administration believes masks at outdoor protests are improper and thus have a policy against them.  Those punished for masking against these rules can seek redress in the courts like the KKK did when hoods were banned in various jurisdictions.  

10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Comparing a blue COVID mask to a KKK hood is certainly a take. 

I'm not comparing them or offering a "take." I'm asking whether it makes sense to have a law that prohibits people from concealing their faces.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, F250 said:

Campuses across the state are having protests but only one university is being treated differently by the state.

Not heavy browed enough to be ATM. 

Clearly AI.

2 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

One day when you’re running the school your opinion will matter.  The administration believes masks at outdoor protests are improper and thus have a policy against them.  Those punished for masking against these rules can seek redress in the courts like the KKK did when hoods were banned in various jurisdictions.  

If only the schools opinion matters this thread is pretty fucking useless. Please keep your opinions out unless you are a school official going forward thank you.

• Haha 2

Face masks, recently adopted to reduce the spread of COVID-19, have had the unintended consequence of increasing the difficulty of face recognition. In security applications, face recognition algorithms are used to identify individuals and present results for human review. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36409731/#:~:text=Face masks%2C recently adopted to,present results for human review.

2 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

I'm not comparing them or offering a "take." I'm asking whether it makes sense to have a law that prohibits people from concealing their faces.

Seriously - rules about concealing faces, tent erection times...? it's so disingenuous and dumb.

No one but the most simple among us thought any of these protest groups weren't going to establish encampments after Columbia. Columbia allowed it, with limited restraint, and the protestors broke into and occupied a building...then demanded humanitarian relief/food. Their agenda is the "free speech" angle many here are espousing, But it's weaponized. And obvious. I'm sad how many people buy it.

I lean hard towards Gaza in what's happening now, it's too much and not reciprocal, but this bullshit makes me want to wash my hands of it, remembering 40 years of changing goal posts from Palestinians and the terrorism they glorify in. That they still glorify in. The constant missile fire for decades and the stated goal of eradicating Israel.... Fuck these kids. 

Flame away. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

There is not a law against it in Texas, that was repealed. Maybe there’s a school reg, I don’t know. 

LOL at the idea that wearing masks doesn’t help conceal identity though. 

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

There is not a law against it in Texas, that was repealed. Maybe there’s a school reg, I don’t know. 

It’s a school policy.  It’s not in the Texas penal code like it was during the klan days.  Think the criminal law was repealed in the 70s. 

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

There is an ocean of context that differentiates a COVID style facemask from the symbol of hate and state sponsored oppression (in the post reconstruction south, specifically) that is a KKK hood. You are literally comparing the two directly and contrasting them as being characteristic to one type of speech or another. 

The recent 2019 campus free speech law didn't really make sense -it was a solution in search of a problem - and it was signed anyway. And then it was ignored when convenient by the fascist who signed it to force universities to allow white supremacists on campus

Edited by Captainant

4 minutes ago, Welshy said:

Seriously - rules about concealing faces, tent erection times...? it's so disingenuous and dumb.

No one but the most simple among us thought any of these protest groups weren't going to establish encampments after Columbia. Columbia allowed it, with limited restraint, and the protestors broke into and occupied a building...then demanded humanitarian relief/food. Their agenda is the "free speech" angle many here are espousing, But it's weaponized. And obvious. I'm sad how many people buy it.

I lean hard towards Gaza in what's happening now, it's too much and not reciprocal, but this bullshit makes me want to wash my hands of it, remembering 40 years of changing goal posts from Palestinians and the terrorism they glorify in. That they still glorify in. The constant missile fire for decades and the stated goal of eradicating Israel.... Fuck these kids. 

Flame away. 

No flaming here. I don't care for these protesters or their message. I'm firmly on the other side of this issue. But we have a constitution, and the best and most balanced policies emerge when everyone is able to speak and debate freely. So let them protest. If they want to hide their faces, I'm fine with that, too. I'm also fine with a general ban on erecting tents on campus and enforcing the ban as long as people have notice of it and a chance to comply. And if it bleeds over into Columbia, then shut it down.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

There is an ocean of context that differentiates a COVID style facemask from the symbol of hate and state sponsored oppression (in the post reconstruction south, specifically) that is a KKK mask. You are literally comparing the two directly and contrasting them as being characteristic to one type of speech or another. 

The recent 2019 campus free speech law didn't really make sense -it was a solution in search of a problem - and it was signed anyway. And then it was ignored when convenient by the fascist who signed it to force universities to allow white supremacists on campus

It's great that you've figured this out. If you were in charge of writing the rule on whether people can conceal their faces on campus, what would you write? "No masks if you're protesting racial integration, but masks are okay if you're protesting in favor of Palestinians?"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Are we seriously still arguing about face masks and tents? We all agree that restrictions on tents on the South Mall or masks while protesting are reasonable. OK, so fine anyone who has a tent or who is wearing a mask. Write them a ticket and let them know that if it happens again tomorrow, there will be another fine. It's not hard. Any LEO can do it. You don't need to send in the SWAT team for someone who wore a mask while pitching a tent.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

Not sure if serious.  During the depth of the wask wearing days I would see friends I knew well and didn’t have a clue who they were. 

That’s…pretty weird man. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Rock and roll, the cola wars, I can't take it anymore!

12 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I think someone said somewhere up-thread that UT didn't enact a mask ban until after last week's protest, but I could be wrong on that.

7 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

It's great that you've figured this out. If you were in charge of writing the rule on whether people can conceal their faces on campus, what would you write? "No masks if you're protesting racial integration, but masks are okay if you're protesting in favor of Palestinians?"

As pointed out by Bolverk, it a bit of a moot point when the university didn't make it a rule until after they riot cop'd everyone last Wednesday.

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Campuses across the state are having protests but only one university is being treated differently by the state.

because the state knows that 98% of the student body is gonna kick the shit out of those guys later

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Protection from po-po pepper spray.

• Hook 'Em 1

For a lot of August/September games, I'll wear a hat, sunglasses, and a soaked bandana/similar around my neck pulled up along my jawline.  Well before Covid-19 and these protests, it was not uncommon for me to have Asian students in my classroom with masks on just because it was/is more a part of their societal norm to not spread/receive germs in enclosed spaces.  Before Covid-19 and these protests, I had a handful of female Muslim students wear an almost full face covering (not the overtly oppressive full drape with just eyeholes but pretty damn full coverage).  

Should all of us be stopped as anti-semitic disruptors of campus peace and space?  

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

For a lot of August/September games, I'll wear a hat, sunglasses, and a soaked bandana/similar around my neck pulled up along my jawline.  Well before Covid-19 and these protests, it was not uncommon for me to have Asian students in my classroom with masks on just because it was/is more a part of their societal norm to not spread/receive germs in enclosed spaces.  Before Covid-19 and these protests, I had a handful of female Muslim students wear an almost full face covering (not the overtly oppressive full drape with just eyeholes but pretty damn full coverage).  

Should all of us be stopped as anti-semitic disruptors of campus peace and space?  

FUCKING TERRORIST

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Captainant said:

In my experience, people only pick up a ton of negs when they come in hot without any supporting evidence or citation for their claims. There is certainly a belief of what you claim, but it's ironically completely supported by a mindless repetition of something that isn't quite true.

Just like how there's a weird overriding urge in this thread from some folks to call everything antisemitism and cheer on the riot cops, in spite of the objective reality before them

I appreciate what you said, but the first paragraph isn’t true.  It may be because you’ve been around a while, or because you’re also a liberal. 

i had a previous username here that got crowd sourced from the CR.  I was getting my cancer story and my support for the substance/alcohol abuse (I’m an alcoholic thread) “fuck you’ed”. 

I’m not a far right psycho.  I grew up with a liberal mom who went to Texas right after Earl played and a conservative dad who went to sfa.  I have both viewpoints. 

that’s an honest story. 

Now, I support Burnt ends through this account and don’t want to get kicked again. 

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, lucious leftfoot said:

Enjoy 

IMG-1732.jpg

What a cumstain this dude is. He needs a swift kick to the cunt and to be stuffed in a locker. What specific plans existed "to harm the campus community?"  A bunch of 18-22 year poorly arguing the worlds social injustices was par for the course on the west mall the entirety of my time in Austin.  While I agree that the campus should be kept free from harm, I have to see or hear any fucking evidence that this was the case. Tents, lulz.  If Hartzell and Eltife want to jerk Abbott off so bad, why don't they just ask? Hot Wheels would probably love the action. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I have to see or hear any fucking evidence that this was the case.

This. If it existed I think we would have seen it blasted over and over again. Just distractions and rhetoric. And there there are piles of that mounting up. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

This. If it existed I think we would have seen it blasted over and over again. Just distractions and rhetoric. And there there are piles of that mounting up. 

How many of the previous on campus Pro-Palestine protests (which seemed to have been no issue at all) have hundreds of non-students attending?(also making up the majority of the arrests)

Their presence in large numbers would seem to be at least some evidence of escalation 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

How many of the previous on campus Pro-Palestine protests (which seemed to have been no issue at all) have hundreds of non-students attending?(also making up the majority of the arrests)

Their presence in large numbers would seem to be at least some evidence of escalation 

So still no evidence. Cool. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Their presence in large numbers would seem to be at least some evidence this was different. 

There were previous protests on campus, at other UT system schools, at aggy and aggy system schools, TTU, TXST, Coog high, Rice and other universities. The only thing that stands out that was different was DPS marching on to campus.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Again, why does that matter one fucking iota? Texas republicans specifically passed legislation allowing ANYONE access to public universities in the name of free speech. Outside protestors have rights guaranteed by our state legislature to participate in protests. But now that they are espousing rhetoric that opposes Texas GOP talking points, a lot of jimmies got  rustled. Show me evidence that campus safety was being threatened. 

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/86R/billtext/html/SB00018F.htm

(b)  It is the policy of this state and the purpose of this
     section to protect the expressive rights of persons guaranteed by
     the constitutions of the United States and of this state by:
                  (1)  recognizing freedom of speech and assembly as
     central to the mission of institutions of higher education; and
                  (2)  ensuring that all persons may assemble peaceably
     on the campuses of institutions of higher education for expressive
     activities, including to listen to or observe the expressive
     activities of others.

4 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Are we seriously still arguing about face masks and tents? We all agree that restrictions on tents on the South Mall or masks while protesting are reasonable.

We do?  You haven't been paying attention.  I think both "restrictions" are bullshit and I'm embarrassed that my alma mater is taking this position.

Don't speak for me.

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

So no one is going to say anything?

For real for real?

Folks, this here is probably the first and ONLY example of outside agitators that I think we all can agree on. 

Only maroon wearing agro American I see in frame is the pasty feller.