Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

AOC may become the leftist Strom Thurmond and serve into her 90s.  That's cool with me. 

her place is all Welcome Back Kotter, not a thriving economy, so she could lose if the economy tanks bigly.  Maybe pissing off AMZN was a mistake then. We'll see, but she does need to deliver life improvements for her peeps. 

Edited by NowThis

49 minutes ago, NowThis said:

AOC may become the leftist Strom Thurmond and serve into her 90s.  That's cool with me. 

her place is all Welcome Back Kotter, not a thriving economy, so she could lose if the economy tanks bigly.  Maybe pissing off AMZN was a mistake then. We'll see, but she does need to deliver life improvements for her peeps. 

Not gonna happen.  She talks theory, not actual action.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Yeah, she'll never cast votes to send money to her district.

:rollseyes

Whooo... my mistake... what a ground breaking leader she is... Porkulous for everyone... the siren mantra call  of the DNC to the voters.  

Please make a relevant point.

Wait maybe she'll name a post office like Hillary did !!!!

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Whooo... my mistake... what a ground breaking leader she is... Porkulous for everyone... the siren mantra call  of the DNC to the voters.  

Please make a relevant point.

Wait maybe she'll name a post office like Hillary did !!!!

What is it that you think members of Congress do, exactly?

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m so glad I powered through it to get to that moment.  That was so ridiculous the writers of Portlandia wouldn’t even go there.  

The industrialized world will have lost the institutional knowledge of how to plant crops in Louisiana ... but fear not, because remote indigenous peoples have maintained their ancestral knowledge of how to do it and we will consult with them! Those isolated indigenous Cajuns who look and dress like Sitting Bull, and who have ancient knowledge of how to remediate land damaged by marine oil drilling.

This woman is a national treasure.  I can’t believe that was actually her and this isn’t a parody video.  Holy shit that was great.

She's Ghandi in Gucci. 

17 minutes ago, Cacti said:

AOC needs to have a word with her illustrator. Most of the characters in that video have exaggerated lips.

Pigment blessed as well.  

Well I guess I'll have a job in La "taking apart" all the pipelines I've laid.  Or planting flowers, with the same salary and benefits.  I wish I had access to the shit she's smoking.

Can we officially change the thread title to include the name of the other delightful freshman Congresswoman, the one I affectionately call Mullah Omar. This repulsive shitstain knows exactly what she is talking about and refers to Jesus as a Palestinian (Judea was not renamed Palestine until after Bar Khokba revolt 100 years after Jesus’ death you fucking idiot). He was a Jew from Judea. This is the from the same despicable Arab Muslim playbook of trying to whitewash history and names like they do by calling the Persian Gulf the Arabian Gulf. It’s Persian you bitch and Jesus was a Jew from Judea.

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Can we officially change the thread title to include the name of the other delightful freshman Congresswoman, the one I affectionately call Mullah Omar. This repulsive shitstain knows exactly what she is talking about and refers to Jesus as a Palestinian (Judea was not renamed Palestine until after Bar Khokba revolt 100 years after Jesus’ death you fucking idiot).

There are 4 references to "Palestine" in the Old Testament you disgusting ignorant cockgobbler.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Can we officially change the thread title to include the name of the other delightful freshman Congresswoman, the one I affectionately call Mullah Omar. This repulsive shitstain knows exactly what she is talking about and refers to Jesus as a Palestinian (Judea was not renamed Palestine until after Bar Khokba revolt 100 years after Jesus’ death you fucking idiot). He was a Jew from Judea. This is the from the same despicable Arab Muslim playbook of trying to whitewash history and names like they do by calling the Persian Gulf the Arabian Gulf. It’s Persian you bitch and Jesus was a Jew from Judea.

Has she even recognized Trump as having the greatest first two years of any president in history?

There's nothing I hate more than someone who distorts history.

Well, maybe I hate people who  choose to believe distorted history (lies) even more. Tough call.

"Palestine" in the Bible

The names "Palestine" and "Palestina" occur four times in the Old Testament portion of the King James Bible (1611), the most influential English translation in history.

What have ye to do with me, O Tyre, and Sidon, 
and all the coasts of Palestine? (Joel 3:4a = 4:4a Heb)

The people shall hear, and be afraid;
sorrow shall take hold of the inhabitants of Palestina. (Exod 15:14)

Rejoice not thou, whole Palestina ... (Isa 14:29a)

Howl, O gate; cry, O city,
thou whole Palestina, art dissolved. (Isa 14:31a)

Icono, you really need to take a break man. 

42 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

King James Bible.  Includes the variant "Palestina".  Your Bible might use "Philistia" and variants.

Try to be less stupid.

1 hour ago, Dirk X West said:

The names "Palestine" and "Palestina" occur four times in the Old Testament portion of the King James Bible (1611), the most influential English translation in history.

What have ye to do with me, O Tyre, and Sidon, 
and all the coasts of Palestine? (Joel 3:4a = 4:4a Heb)

The people shall hear, and be afraid;
sorrow shall take hold of the inhabitants of Palestina. (Exod 15:14)

Rejoice not thou, whole Palestina ... (Isa 14:29a)

Howl, O gate; cry, O city,
thou whole Palestina, art dissolved. (Isa 14:31a)

Interestingly, none of these instances reflect in the LXX, one of the oldest OT variants, pre-dating the MT.

Joel, I believe refers to essentially "the regions of the foreigners". Γαλιλαία ἀλλοφύλων

Exodus, to "Philistines" Φυλιστιιμ

Isaiah to "other nations/foreigners", which is a reference to Philistines ἀλλόφυλοι

This is why proof texting the Scriptures to drive an agenda is so fucking stupid. 

Edited by Anastasis

41 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

This is why proof texting the Scriptures to drive an agenda is so fucking stupid. 

It's worse than that.  The Bible gets used as a tool and people who weren't raised to not only scrutinize the language but also the etymology back to the Greek (at least) just accept what is spoon fed to them as the "truth".  This completely ignores the controversial aspects of what is real, what is myth, what is metaphor, etc.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Axiom of Choice said:

You just used the Bible as a tool without any scrutiny.  If one is making a terminology argument based solely on the KJV translation, then one is making a bad argument.  In all 4 references to "Palestine" in the KJV, in context the passages are clearly addressing Philistines (and others that the Jews of the day would have categorized similarly).  There is a reason that none of the other modern English translations use "Palestine" in these verses; even the New King James Version uses "Philistia" in all four references.  Jesus would definitely not have been considered as one of the people referred to in any of those four verses, regardless of what modern English word we use.  Even the Muslims don't think this, as they believe he was of the line of Isaac.   

That's not the point at all.  Icono is citing the renaming of Judea as the gold standard, as if there weren't "Palestinians" in that region well before Christ.  It's a distinction without a difference.  Peoples are not pure, and the real point of the original argument was that Christ was not a white-skinned blue-eyed Jew.  His race was probably mixed, and this drives fundamentalist Christians nuts.

6 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

Words are also not pure.  They get transliterated and absorbed into other languages and take on other meanings & connotations over time.  Just because a 17th century English translation of a ~5th century BC Hebrew word aligns with a term that 21st century Americans use to refer to a particular region and group today means nothing when taken out of context.     

I don't disagree, but it's disingenuous to imply that "Palestine" had no meaning until 100 years after the death of Christ.

6 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

Words are also not pure.  They get transliterated and absorbed into other languages and take on other meanings & connotations over time.  Just because a 17th century English translation of a ~5th century BC Hebrew word aligns with a term that 21st century Americans use to refer to a particular region and group today means nothing when taken out of context.     

It's the thought that counts.....

5 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Yes you are. Jesus was not a Palestinian. Take the loss pussy

Please point to where I said Jesus was a Palestinian.  Your original statement was ill-informed and typical of the kind of bigot who gets his talking points from the ChristiansRUs newsletter (which gets read in between sessions of sucking cock for drugs).

2 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Yes you are. Jesus was not a Palestinian. Take the loss pussy

for somebody arguing about the Bible and Jesus, you appear to have no clue how to act accordingly.

Simon Peter: "Lord, to whom would we go?"

Inconoclast Jesus: "You fucking idiot. Have I not chosen your dumbass?"

Thankfully Axion is here rationally.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Please point to where I said Jesus was a Palestinian.  Your original statement was ill-informed and typical of the kind of bigot who gets his talking points from the ChristiansRUs newsletter (which gets read in between sessions of sucking cock for drugs).

Turn the other cheek.

The point is that Icono is being Icono and is trying to imply that "Palestine" didn't exist until 100 years after Christ.  I know his bullshit.  I know what he was angling for.  I responded in kind.

If you're dead set on educating us that, yes jimmyjazz was right that "Palestine was mentioned 4 times in the Old Testament but that didn't exactly answer Icono's point", then fine, it's not a fucking debate, the guy is an intellectual midget who spews bigoted shit all day long and I'm going to head him off at the pass when I feel it's warranted.  By by all fucking means, keep on with your detailed analysis on the merits of the case without actually paying one fucking iota of attention to the man's behavior on this site day in and day out. 

Say, you wouldn't happen to agree with him, would you?

Crimony.  I'm going to go drink beer.  

People react so predictably to AOC, just as the establishment would want. Amazing how many of our populace are so ready to bend over and carry the water of the 1%.

My checklist:

She beat a worthless incumbent.

She's atypical of the ineffective group think in Washington.

What more could any of you want? The absolute brightest of us don't have the courage to run against this toxic political environment.

She needs to grow and learn quickly, as she is under unprecedented  levels of attack for a new member of our government. Most new members are roundly ignored by all.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez