Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

57 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

god she's an idiot

Not really, it isn't like she referenced the Greensboro Massacre or the fact that Frederick Douglas is still alive. Her politics might be disagreeable but that doesn't make her an idiot. Trump and company is the standard for idiocy.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, F250 said:

Not really, it isn't like she referenced the Greensboro Massacre or the fact that Frederick Douglas is still alive. Her politics might be disagreeable but that doesn't make her an idiot. Trump and company is the standard for idiocy.

Bowling Green Massacre! Get it right!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

She doesn't seem to be bridging any divides, so probably not made out of wood.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tjhooker said:

No, she's an idiot.  I think even some of the left on surly would agree.  

uh no, she is far from an idiot.  she's young and brash, and full of enthusiasm and that will likely wane in the coming years.  so, she will get more politically smart, but she is plenty book smart and street smart already.  if you don't like her, I feel sorry for you.  fasten your seatbelt and stock up on popcorn because she's going to be around a long time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tjhooker said:

Did you hear her explain how the $3B in tax money Amazon was going to get could be better spent elsewhere? That shows an amazing lack of understanding of the simplest economic concept. 

That doesn't count.  Every time she's wrong it's just trolling.

Didn't you get the memo?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Is it your opinion that's not some really dumb shit?

It was kind of his point.

No, no, of course you'll have an excuse for it.  Why do I even ask?

nm

Edited by jimmyjazz
Fuck it, it's not worth it. Carry on being an uber douchebag, cajun. Destroy your own legacy.

15 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Shit, I like Cajun.  But he has a legacy?  I thought the only true legend around here was Dorka.  

I got Mack Brown fired bitches!

Edited by Cajun
I think he may be referencing my contributions to the "I'm an alcoholic thread", and if so he's being too kind there. Truth is jimmy and I should just interact on music and cop threads. We do just fine there. His music topics and comments solid gold.

Well shit.  Good work on both accounts.  And if we can’t all agree on ‘fuck the police’, we have truly lost.  

Plenty of cop defenders around here. Check out the first 150 posts on the “5 HPD cops shot” thread. Lots of reflexive cop defending and condemnation of the evil druggies.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Plenty of cop defenders around here. Check out the first 150 posts on the “5 HPD cops shot” thread. Lots of reflexive cop defending and condemnation of the evil druggies.

Yikes. 

5 minutes ago, futureman said:

#bluelivesmatter

No.  

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

They're all Constant socks

Hope so.  I’d lose a lot of faith in this place.  

10 hours ago, Cajun said:

Is it your opinion that's not some really dumb shit?

It was kind of his point.

No, no, of course you'll have an excuse for it.  Why do I even ask?

i think both you and hooker have your minds made up and search the internets grasping for evidence to support your position.  you're trying too hard.  you want her to be stupid, so bad.  the trumpster says take the guns first, then issue the warrant, clearly ignorant of the rule of law.  yet you don't think he's stupid?  that's because you don't want to.  you want to believe he's smart.  smart people say dumb things.  she's been in office 2 months.  last year she was a bartender.  she's new to the limelight and not used to a microphone being in her face 18 hrs a day.  she'll get wiser, but to say she's dumb is disingenuous.   

as for this specific example, maybe what she meant was if the community was willing to give huge tax breaks to a major corporation, maybe they could find it in their heart to to give tax breaks to a food bank, or low income housing, or a library or a school.  in that sense the money is available because their finger was on the trigger for it already.  i think it's similar to obama saying "you didn't build that".  you guys laughed at him and said what an idiot.  but the thing is he was right. 

our entire economy is based on government funding, government tax breaks, government incentives.  ask jerry jones who built his stadium.  you did.  ask michael dell who built his corporate complex.  just like amtrak or usps, many corporations are propped up by the government.  boeing and lockheed would file for bankruptcy tomorrow if we pulled our government contracts.  as we've all said on this board for years government spending is a jobs bill.  the rightwingers stand on their soapbox and shout about big government and lets's make it smaller, without realizing the ramifications of that.  if amazon was so benevolent, and wanted their headquarters in nyc so bad then why did they opt out because of tax subsidies?  they're on the tit just like every other corporation you bow down to and worship like they can do no wrong.  

• Like 7

On 2/20/2019 at 5:36 PM, Iconoclast Texan said:

TXDot is rebuilding and widening highways across the state from the Valley and across to Houston. New York’s subway is crumbling and they can only do a fraction of the improvements necessary because of the ridiculous bloated costs from unions. Progressives want to give more power to unions and that was one of their complaints about HQ2 LIC! Loving the new 290/I-10 interchange and can’t wait for the improvements to the West Loop and Gulf Fwy to be completed. That’s some damn good infrastructure. Take a look at the improvements to IAH and compare it to EWR.

Still waiting for that link of proof of homeless camps in nyc...lol

• Fuck You 1

31 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Don't worry the gov't is here to help.  

Also, I dont "want" her to be stupid she just is.  She has said so much moronic shit she makes my case for me.  

A freshman rep and your POTUS has told 8000 lies. You get paid in rubles or bitcoin? 

54 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

i think both you and hooker have your minds made up and search the internets grasping for evidence to support your position.  you're trying too hard.  you want her to be stupid, so bad.  the trumpster says take the guns first, then issue the warrant, clearly ignorant of the rule of law.  yet you don't think he's stupid?  that's because you don't want to.  you want to believe he's smart.  smart people say dumb things.  she's been in office 2 months.  last year she was a bartender.  she's new to the limelight and not used to a microphone being in her face 18 hrs a day.  she'll get wiser, but to say she's dumb is disingenuous.   

as for this specific example, maybe what she meant was if the community was willing to give huge tax breaks to a major corporation, maybe they could find it in their heart to to give tax breaks to a food bank, or low income housing, or a library or a school.  in that sense the money is available because their finger was on the trigger for it already.  i think it's similar to obama saying "you didn't build that".  you guys laughed at him and said what an idiot.  but the thing is he was right. 

our entire economy is based on government funding, government tax breaks, government incentives.  ask jerry jones who built his stadium.  you did.  ask michael dell who built his corporate complex.  just like amtrak or usps, many corporations are propped up by the government.  boeing and lockheed would file for bankruptcy tomorrow if we pulled our government contracts.  as we've all said on this board for years government spending is a jobs bill.  the rightwingers stand on their soapbox and shout about big government and lets's make it smaller, without realizing the ramifications of that.  if amazon was so benevolent, and wanted their headquarters in nyc so bad then why did they opt out because of tax subsidies?  they're on the tit just like every other corporation you bow down to and worship like they can do no wrong.  

You lecture about grasping and post this in the same sitting?

ok

Head over to the HPD thread on the Daily Texan (or any LEO are all Heroes related topic) and tell me again how I tow the line for Trump.

I mean, if you have time in between bending over backwards being an AOC excuse maker.

Edited by Cajun

She obviously says some doozies now and again, but I don't have any sense that she does so out of malice.  She does so out of naivete and inexperience, both of which she will likely temper as she gets older.  I believe her heart is in the right place and that she truly wants to effect change, even if she only gets a single two-year term to do so.

If anyone -- I mean anyone, including Trump supporters -- thinks he doesn't intentionally lie dozens of times each week, then they're either stupid or completely broken.

Both are currently in office.  One wields orders of magnitude more power than the other, and he's the one who is a fundamentally mean, selfish person.  If we're going to bring intelligence into this debate, he also clearly falls short of AOC in that regard.  He is an utterly worthless person who is doing great damage to our Republic.  She is a lightning rod for scared conservatives.

• Like 2

While she is cute and clever, I bemoan the fact that she is just entrenching politics by Twitter.  Some politicians should announce that they are boycotting twitter because adequate political and policy discussions cannot be had there.

Like Warren, she's offering up ideas.  Unlike Warren, hers are fairly cracked, but it would be good if we could get the discussion back on ideas instead of personalities and vague principles. 

Of course it would also help if POTUS was anything other than a personality.

I don't see how she could advocate for the kind of change she was elected to pursue without coming across that way.  I find her mistakes mostly benign, inasmuch as she's hardly alone in Congress when it comes to gaffe frequency.  I think they're products of large amounts of airtime (meaning lots of opportunity to misspeak), an effusive excitable personality, and a lack of experience.  

I'd like to see her be given the chance to explain those mistakes.  I have no reason to believe she wouldn't just say "I was wrong, and that was a stupid thing for me to say".  It doesn't mean she's wholly unqualified for the job, given the very clear fact that the qualifications for the job are essentially nil.  That's not "whataboutism", it's an acknowledgement of the truth.

Are her ideas cracked because she's not advocating for super small incremental change that will never make it past step 1? I really don't understand this criticism, she called out Amazon for taking away tax revenue that would otherwise help the city. She proposed the GND to force a conversation given that scientists and organizing bodies this past year or so are screaming at us that we're going to cause a tremendous amount of death and trillions of dollars in damages if we don't take aggressive action. It isn't legislation despite everyone's object.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez