Oklahoma State @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

Posted (edited)

Feels like we do this in May almost every year after playing with our food a little bit in April.

I can’t believe Duplantier has turned into a reliable arm. You place this year’s version of him on any previous team and it’s a game changer. I had completely written him off headed into the year.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I can’t believe Duplantier has turned into a reliable arm. You place this year’s version of him on any previous team and it’s a game changer. I had completely written him off headed into the year.

Just one reason I bang my head against the wall of this writing an older dude off in favor of a younger guy.  Particularly in baseball.  Nothing is a guarantee but there’s value in maturity.  Pierce is a good coach. He knows what he sees in practice that can translate to a game.  Most of his in game decisions have a basis in reason.  If a player can produce to a certain level over an extended period of time, they can replicate it.  I wouldn’t say Duplantier did it over an extended period, but he got hurt.  So Pierce has seen the flash and then everyday at practice.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Balcones said:

OSU falls out of top 25 RPI so our wins aren’t as valuable now. We are #51 in RPI.

I'm starting to think the raw RPI numbers are meaningless. 

Can the committee keep the 2nd best team in the 3rd best RPI conference out of a regional? Is there any historical precedent? 

36 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Feels like we do this in May almost every year after playing with our food a little bit in April.

I think this is the most frustrating thing about Pierce. All his teams get better every season which is an obvious sign of a good coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Balcones said:

OSU falls out of top 25 RPI so our wins aren’t as valuable now. We are #51 in RPI.

We were quite a ways off in raw RPI points vs the group of teams above 50 when I looked earlier today.

Now with this win we are within striking distance. A sweep would likely put us around 45.

Edited by Hookem2147

On 5/3/2024 at 9:53 AM, AUS-97HORN said:

I have zero faith we can win the first game of a series.   but then again, I dont think 2/3 is crazy talk.

I am pleasantly surprised to see how wrong I was in the first game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

The man can’t build a roster, but he can sure as hell maximize what he gives himself to work with

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

90% of the staff has Incarnate Word level stuff and we’re in 2nd place in the conference

There was a dude from Abilene Christian throwing 97 from the left side…..Pierce should have never let him get on the bus back home.  Each Tuesday team has pitched 1-2 guys with better stuff than 90% of our staff.  No excuse for that. I’m all for guys throwing 88-89 with pinpoint control, but if they are going to be wild and inconsistent, they better be throwing 95+. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

90% of the staff has Incarnate Word level stuff and we’re in 2nd place in the conference

This is the fundamental problem.

Great coach but meh recruiter. Just hire a stud recruiter and develop whatever he gets you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Pierce had some bad luck with this roster. He will be fine putting it together next year. Witt, and all of his portal had season ending injuries. That won’t happen each year.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

If we win the rest of our series for the year, we will be a 2 seed in someone's regional. Book it. 

If it isn’t the college station regional, it’ll be the regional they match with the CS super. 
and aggy will rejoice unless we beat them and then they will bitch. 

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This is the fundamental problem.

Great coach but meh recruiter. Just hire a stud recruiter and develop whatever he gets you. 

Longley is a great recruiter. Best move Pierce made in his tenure on the coaching staff was promoting him. Hopefully whoever is coaching next year is smart enough to retain him/make sure he doesn’t get away.

Problem is recruiting in baseball is not a one year turnaround thing (mainly talking about the HS side). Good evals take several years to fully mature. Our 2025 class is freaking loaded, especially with arms, but at this point it’s doubtful this staff will even be around to see the fruits of their labor. Tough luck but we are currently paying for the sins committed in classes like 2021 and 2022.

Edited by Hookem2147

So which is it?

He can’t develop or he can’t put together a roster?

3 pitchers that were counted on quite heavily have contributed nothing.  Name me another Texas team you can remember that being the case.

We no doubt lack power arms relative to other teams.  Yet we’re top 4-5 in many pitching categories in the 3rd best conference in the country.  We’re top 3rd of the country.  I can buy the argument that Texas could or should be better.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Longley is a great recruiter. Best move Pierce made in his tenure on the coaching staff was promoting him.

Problem is recruiting in baseball is not a one year turnaround thing. Good evals take several years to fully mature. Our 2025 class is freaking loaded, especially with arms, but at this point it’s doubtful this staff will even be around to see the fruits of their labor. Tough luck but we are currently paying for the sins committed in classes like 2021 and 2022.

Gordon has the Duke ties.  Did that have anything to do with Storm and Santos coming here or was that purely coincidental?

Posted (edited)

His ceiling is still CWS appearances he’s done nothing this year to lead me to believe he’s going to win a championship in the next 5 or 10 years.  Going from mediocre to good in a season is impressive, but it’s not enough for Texas baseball. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, troph said:

His ceiling is still CWS appearances he’s done nothing this year to lead me to believe he’s going to win a championship in the next 5 or 10 years.  Going from mediocre to good in a season is impressive, but it’s not enough for Texas baseball. 

His ceiling is a national title. This team is not a title contender. Winning a title in baseball takes an incredible amount of luck on top of being incredibly good. I don’t and will never understand people who belittle getting to Omaha. Jim Schlossnagle and Dave Van Horn have never won it all and they are the two best managers in college baseball. 

I doubt Pierce is retained but he may fuck around and force the administration to make a tough decision, one I know they don’t want to make. 

4 minutes ago, chase25 said:

His ceiling is a national title. This team is not a title contender. Winning a title in baseball takes an incredible amount of luck on top of being incredibly good. I don’t and will never understand people who belittle getting to Omaha. Jim Schlossnagle and Dave Van Horn have never won it all and they are the two best managers in college baseball. 

I doubt Pierce is retained but he may fuck around and force the administration to make a tough decision, one I know they don’t want to make. 

It’s difficult to say he can’t win one when he effectively had the 2nd best team a mere 3 years ago and lost by 1 twice to the best team.

There’s a lot of stuff spewed here that’s difficult to determine what is accurate.  But there’s also things that cause you to question.  I’d assume CDC has a great grasp on staff turnover.  That’s the biggest question in my mind.

I am not certain how much of a grasp any coach has on NIL.  The defending national champs are 5 games under .500 in conference.  I’d assume a big chunk of our 2024 allocation has done little for us.  If so, was it poor decisioning or bad luck?

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Pretty well said. You need to have some fortunate bounces go your way to win it all in any sport, but baseball maybe more than any other considering the number of games and the fact you have a different guy taking the mound every game. 3 of the last 4 #1 seeds in the NCAA tournament didn't even make it out of a Super Regional.

The one thing that was alarming to me (outside of losing, obviously) in 2 of the 3 Omaha trips, 2018 and 2022, is we were not built to win in that park. We didn't have the frontline starters with the premium swing-and-miss stuff (our #1 those two seasons were Nolan Kingham and Pete Hansen). We scored 11 runs in 4 total games between those two seasons. I love our ability to hit the ball out of the ballpark, but that park plays huge in Omaha, and the wind often blows in. The hallmark of Pierce teams the last 4 years or so is we don't walk a lot, we strike out a lot and we rely pretty heavily on the home run ball. That isn't the ideal recipe to dogpile in a tournament where you have to win 4 or 5 games in the span of a 8-10 days. The 2021 team featured more speed (Antico, Williams, prime Kennedy when he used to run like crazy) and contact ability at the plate, which combined with our 3 starters led by Ty Madden and Witt/Nixon, was the perfect recipe.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Amazing series win. Have we...found our identity and are turning it on at the last minute? That would be very David Pierce of us.

Let's do it again tomorrow.

Paging @Fletch for your standard saying about Pierce's teams late in the season...

29 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

It’s difficult to say he can’t win one when he effectively had the 2nd best team a mere 3 years ago and lost by 1 twice to the best team.

There’s a lot of stuff spewed here that’s difficult to determine what is accurate.  But there’s also things that cause you to question.  I’d assume CDC has a great grasp on staff turnover.  That’s the biggest question in my mind.

I am not certain how much of a grasp any coach has on NIL.  The defending national champs are 5 games under .500 in conference.  I’d assume a big chunk of our 2024 allocation has done little for us.  If so, was it poor decisioning or bad luck?

Agreed he has his pitfalls. I think he leaves a lot to be desired as far as in game management but it has less to do with incompetence and more to do with his philosophy at times to sacrifice a game to get guys work which I’m not a fan of.

Pitching also seems to be his baby, one he can’t let go of which is an issue.

Bad portal and overall injury “luck” (for lack of a better term) to the pitching staff the last couple of seasons has been pretty killer for the last 2 years. The amount of injuries and inability of pretty much every arm to return to their pre-injury form needs to be looked into because I think the sample size is too large to just call it bad luck at this point.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Agreed he has his pitfalls. I think he leaves a lot to be desired as far as in game management but it has less to do with incompetence and more to do with his philosophy at times to sacrifice a game to get guys work which I’m not a fan of.

Pitching also seems to be his baby, one he can’t let go of which is an issue.

Bad portal and overall injury “luck” (for lack of a better term) to the pitching staff the last couple of seasons has been pretty killer for the last 2 years. The amount of injuries and inability of pretty much every arm to return to their pre-injury form needs to be looked into because I think the sample size is too large to just call it bad luck at this point.

Philosophy largely becomes a question when you’re losing. It’s very easy in baseball to make the “right” decision and it fail or make the “wrong” decision yet it works.  Take Schuesslers failed bunt attempt that turns into a hit and run winner.  I don’t think the bunt was wise whereas the hit and was perfect.

Last night, I agreed with the Lummus usage because he’s been solid, and we’re playing to win the series not a single game.  He was just trying to get 1 inning out of him.  If Boehm only goes 2 innings, he’s likely got another outing this weekend whereas now it’s questionable.  Or at least be extended one less inning.  Same for the Brown for Borba sub.  Lefty vs righty matchup and for the last 20 or so plate appearances they are hitting similarly.  The 20 ABs is random but season averages don’t matter at that point and Borba has moved out of hot phase when he got inserted into the lineup.

I do question the injuries and seemingly slow returns.  The portal I think is a matter of perception because of the season.  Also, if LBJ and Witt are willing to return, you absolutely take them over portal guys.  Then offensively once you add the freshmen, there weren’t really any holes coming into the season, particularly if Storm plays.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Funny part is if Storm is on this team, Belyeu may have been the odd man out to start the season. He had a slow fall apparently and there were questions about his defense. He would have gotten some DH AB’s and probably taken over for Brown eventually considering how things played out, but we may not have seen the huge breakout that ended up happening.

While on that note, I think Nik Sanders has a chance to take a Belyeu type leap next year (play sparingly as a freshman and big jump as a sophomore). I’ll be interested to follow him during the summer.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

I have the same fear you all do next year going into the SEC.   Unless we hire a coach with a national championship on thier resume, we'll likely not be replacing Pierce with a "better" coach when you consider Omaha experience.

This also frightens me.

Edited by petscii

10 hours ago, chase25 said:

I don’t belittle getting there at all, but I do want our team to have a legit shot to win when there. The closest was the MSU championship year and while we were close on paper none of us at that time thought we had a chance to get past them and we didn’t - lost to them twice. 

he’s a known asshole without the street cred of winning big. He’s mismanaged the pitching and the assistants. Tulo resigned and where did he go?  He’s taken over the pitching staff and it’s been lack luster. 

he’s a championship caliber coach but then the last 5-6 posts discuss his flaws, some major flaws.

DVH isn’t a guy I would want either. Schloss may be about to go on a tear. I haven’t watched closely but his trajectory is nice at A&M thus far. But I don’t know. Keep in mind when A&M is good Texas is almost always struggling. Pointing back to Pierce again. 

I don’t know who the next coach should be, but I’m pretty sure Pierce ain’t winning it all here.