Kansas @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

6 hours ago, Balcones said:

Hopefully you watched the 9th inning situation.

I did. It was awesome. 

Had we had just average situational hitting in innings 1-8 then we would've never had a bottom of the 9th. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

He could do better than that throwing nothing but fastballs down the middle.  But he can't do that either.

I really think he'd be better off if he could elevate the fastball.  Velocity is still good, but it seems like hitters now have a better chance at fastballs just above the knees than at the top of the zone. I don't have any empirical data to back that up, however.

7 hours ago, chase25 said:

Playing time is often based on necessity and what is available. I think even you agree that Borba should be playing everyday with the occasional breather. He actually hits right handed pitching better than left handed pitching because his biggest weakness as a hitter is soft offspeed stuff off the plate from a lefty. So you can't just platoon him. You keep bringing Borba's average up when he has 72 ABs. Comparing him to a 6th year Senior with 728 ABs struggling through his swan song is not remotely just. It isn't worth arguing over but I don't think it is a hot take to say Borba should be playing everyday while Porter and Jack rotate in every once in awhile off the bench.

Pitching and hitting aren't comparable. Hurley is a sinker baller who has not gotten a ton of batted ball luck this year. Charlie started today because Ace is hurt not because he did anything to earn it and that point is applicable to the point I am making about Borba. Will we need Porter in the postseason? Probably. Will we need Jack? No, it is just unfortunate that Casey or Porter can't play 2B.

I think Borba should get more playing time consistently.  Until he proves he can be consistent though he’s not a full time starter.  72 ABs doesn’t tell you a ton either way.  The 3-20 albeit arbitrary was relevant because it was recent.  And really that’s why Brown got back in there.  That’s not a reason to sit Borba two weeks however.  Similar to how Kennedy was anointed.  For young guys that are struggling a brief sit down is not a terrible idea.

Then use Daly as an example of how a poor season is not indicative of how the future goes.  That Evans guy from UF that hit .239 last year after tearing it up in post season games.  David Maroul in Longhorn lore, poor regular season big post season moments.  

And Hurley as an example speaks to not giving up on a guy.  Not pitching versus hitting.  He will be needed most likely in this post season assuming we don’t get run in 2-3 games in the regional.

Little should be absolute in all this.  That’s where you went in the beginning of this.

Just win.  And the efforts to do so may look different every game.

• Hook 'Em 1

Fair or not, Porter Brown has a track record and even when he isn't hitting he still works counts and walks at a pretty good rate. Most freshmen will ride the rollercoaster during a 55 game season, so there is merit in plugging Brown in there from time to time for extended stretches.

What game was it where Borba dropped the pop-up at 1B? Game 1 of OSU? Probably not a coincidence he got some time on the bench after that. Brown also had that 3 walk game against OSU then went 4 for 10 in the UCF series.

The O'Dowd thing is just a matter of picking your poison at this point. I don't think he or Kennedy can hit at an average level right now. You just stick one in the 9-hole and cross your fingers. Kennedy has more speed and defense but I understand the thinking of maybe O'Dowd heats up with the bat for a game or 2 and randomly runs into one like he is prone to do.

24 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Fair or not, Porter Brown has a track record and even when he isn't hitting he still works counts and walks at a pretty good rate. Most freshmen will ride the rollercoaster during a 55 game season, so there is merit in plugging Brown in there from time to time for extended stretches.

What game was it where Borba dropped the pop-up at 1B? Game 1 of OSU? Probably not a coincidence he got some time on the bench after that. Brown also had that 3 walk game against OSU then went 4 for 10 in the UCF series.

The O'Dowd thing is just a matter of picking your poison at this point. I don't think he or Kennedy can hit at an average level right now. You just stick one in the 9-hole and cross your fingers. Kennedy has more speed and defense but I understand the thinking of maybe O'Dowd heats up with the bat for a game or 2 and randomly runs into one like he is prone to do.

Considering the hitting prowess of the rest of the line up, I'll take Dee's speed and defense in the 9 hole.  O'Dowd is just as likely to run into one off the bench.  No clue why Kennedy wasn't a defensive replacement last night.

• Hook 'Em 3

That 9th inning was so awesome. There were some Kansas guys sitting on my row. They were mostly fine cheering their team throughout the game, but one of them said a few things I found mildly off putting. Nothing out of line, but I didn’t really care for it. Then the HR in the top of the 9th and he was really feeling himself. Out came the horns down of course. Then Borba comes up and hits his blast.  The dismay on his face was glorious. Then Jalen’s double came and the dismay turned into complete dejection as they excused themselves to get by me and head up the stairs and out of the stadium 🤘🏼

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hammerin Hank said:

That 9th inning was so awesome. There were some Kansas guys sitting on my row. They were mostly fine cheering their team throughout the game, but one of them said a few things I found mildly off putting. Nothing out of line, but I didn’t really care for it. Then the HR in the top of the 9th and he was really feeling himself. Out came the horns down of course. Then Borba comes up and hits his blast.  The dismay on his face was glorious. Then Jalen’s double came and the dismay turned into complete dejection as they excused themselves to get by me and head up the stairs and out of the stadium 🤘🏼

You threw a coke at him right? 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

O’Dowd’s lack of range is the biggest reason he shouldn’t play imo. Like you said, neither can hit (and neither is really good defensively) but at least with Dee the ball stays in the infield more often. Jack moves like a fucking turtle out there

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hammerin Hank said:

Jalin*

IMG_8070.gif.06f76ecde236fb642b68b405beb59878.gif

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Highlights anywhere? Wasn’t able to watch the game 

Whole game for ya.....

Highlights? Check out the smile on the little girl getting a foul ball just past the 43:00 minute mark... 😊

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 3

44 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Highlights? Check out the smile on the little girl getting a foul ball just past the 43:00 minute mark... 😊

I caught that real time.  Kudos to all grown ass men who don't keep the foul balls.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I caught that real time.  Kudos to all grown ass men who don't keep the foul balls.

During my time at The 40 Acres during GusBall, I never got to keep one.

The last one I grabbed, I whipped out a pen and signed my name on it before a student-manager came and took it from me.  Lulz.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

During my time at The 40 Acres during GusBall, I never got to keep one.

The last one I grabbed, I whipped out a pen and signed my name on it before a student-manager came and took it from me.  Lulz.

They used ball girls to collect balls from the children to the boos of everyone back in the day.

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

O’Dowd’s lack of range is the biggest reason he shouldn’t play imo. Like you said, neither can hit (and neither is really good defensively) but at least with Dee the ball stays in the infield more often. Jack moves like a fucking turtle out there

Yeah this is where I’m at with the two. In the field, I do think Dee is quicker in his footwork/movements. At the plate Dee shouldn’t over think it this year and just focus on putting the ball in play and making stuff happen with his speed. 

19 minutes ago, Levi said:

Yeah this is where I’m at with the two. In the field, I do think Dee is quicker in his footwork/movements. At the plate Dee shouldn’t over think it this year and just focus on putting the ball in play and making stuff happen with his speed. 

With some of the extreme-shifts so many Texas batters were getting, I can't believe they refused-to/didn't-know-how-to bunt or drag-bunt until they stopped the extreme-shifts.

The stubborn attitude of, "Nope! I'm going to hit the ball exactly to the same locations like I always do, because I don't want to try to hit to that huge open space!" Bullshit, especially by all the lefty-dead-pull-hitters Texas has, and oblige shitty-byu/etc. teams by hitting the ball exactly into the extreme-shift for the easy-outs, when the 3rd-baseman hugs the left field line behind 3rd base and there's no one between him and anywhere near 2nd-base, just made me want to pull my hair out.

Dee has gotten the shift treatment, too, and he could have just laid down a bunt towards 3rd and, with his speed, got a hit every time -- but I've never seen him do it. FFS

2 hours ago, petscii said:

They used ball girls to collect balls from the children to the boos of everyone back in the day.

Back when my boys were little, we had awesome season tickets just behind the on-deck circle.  In between innings, the assistants would sneak them extras under a tiny loose corner of the netting next to the dugout.  They were in heaven.

Then one year Deloss put up a wall in LF and bolted that little corner down.

It's a boy's last dream and a man's first loss.

2 minutes ago, Damor said:

Back when my boys were little, we had awesome season tickets just behind the on-deck circle.  In between innings, the assistants would sneak them extras under a tiny loose corner of the netting next to the dugout.  They were in heaven.

Then one year Deloss put up a wall in LF and bolted that little corner down.

It's a boy's last dream and a man's first loss.

His attention to details like that, yet Bellmont couldn't demand proper burnt-orange uniforms and proper burnt-orange colored designs on the baseball/football fields was chicken-shit.

His name is DeLoss.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Early in the year I was thinking we had the worst luck ever, everything hit to him was a seeing eye single. 

Then I realized he's just slow as fuck.

36 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

Borba being rewarded for his heroics last night.

Hope Borba can take advantage of it.  He was up in the 270s before going on a mini-slump.  Meanwhile, O'Dowd has been struggling to get over 200 all year long.

20 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Hope Borba can take advantage of it.  He was up in the 270s before going on a mini-slump.  Meanwhile, O'Dowd has been struggling to get over 200 all year long.

True. And O'Dowd's .606 OPS would be the third worst in the conference if he had enough ABs to qualify. Borba would be right into the middle.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Just sayin', but if I were commentating from the Yeti Yard, I'd have an adult beverage in my hand. 

Suspect some fans will offer Greg several.

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

This isnt showing up for me on ESPN+, are yall seeing it?

Nope, it's not working on espn stream right now for some reason.  Still says event has not started.