Kansas @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Balcones said:

I’m guessing softball will continue on LHN through regional and super regional.

And, still outside chance Texas baseball hosts. :)

Yeah but even if we host, the game will be aired on LHN but it wouldn't be an LHN crew if I remember right. 

edit: We aren't hosting so moot point. 

Edited by NorthLoop

I will say it's pretty dumb to abandon any Texas team under Pierce. This is pretty much what he does every year. They look bad for a certain stretch but by the end of the year they're almost always pretty good. 

I’ll say it’s pretty dumb to dig a hole so fucking deep that after winning a few games late and going all “gee whillickers we have a chance!” late in the season anyone chooses to engage in a circle jerk
  • Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

I’ll say it’s pretty dumb to dig a hole so fucking deep that winning a few games late and going all “gee whillickers we have a chance!” late in the season and proceed to engage in a circle jerk

I don't see it as a circle jerk. 

I think everyone recognizes that Texas should be competing for titles and not simply be happy about being "good." But anyone who thought this was a lost season a couple months ago hasn't paid attention to what normally happens under Pierce. Here we are once again thinking this team won't make a regional and we will be a top 20ish-ranked team by the end of the regular season. Like I said, that shouldn't be the standard but that's not the point. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

How about them Longhorns?  Maybe we close out the regular season with a sweep?

A what? 

20 minutes ago, Balcones said:

I’m guessing softball will continue on LHN through regional and super regional.

And, still outside chance Texas baseball hosts. :)

No, there isn't. 

0.00000% chance

12 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

I’ll say it’s pretty dumb to dig a hole so fucking deep that winning a few games late and going all “gee whillickers we have a chance!” late in the season and proceed to engage in a circle jerk

I’m just going to say this once because I’ve tried to avoid this back and forth most of the year but it’s rich to tell other people to get ahold of themselves and then spew this same shit when this team rattled off 9/10 conference series. That isn’t a couple of games at the end of the year. Now was their some complete and utter dog shit sprinkled in with losses to Texas A&M CC and UTRGV? Yes.

As far as Pierce? He is what he is, a stubborn 61 year old who may not be a perfect fit for the NIL era but recruits a high character type of player and that’s why his teams seemingly never quit. He is one of 4 coaches who have been to Omaha 3 times since 2017, hosted 3 times in 6 years, been a 2 seed one year, looking to be a 2 seed this year. Objectively, that is a pretty damn good floor

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I get what y’all are saying and as a follower of everything Burnt Orange for nearly all of my 57 years, of course I want to win and enjoy winning….but gaddammit seeing our baseball program reduced to being the scrappy underdog who mighta coulda woulda if only maybe if everything goes perfect might get to a Super in Bryan Fucking College Station ……well that’s just fucking unacceptable.

• Hook 'Em 7

23 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

first time GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

I get what y’all are saying and as a follower of everything Burnt Orange for nearly all of my 57 years, of course I want to win and enjoy winning….but gaddammit seeing our baseball program reduced to being the scrappy underdog who mighta coulda woulda if only maybe if everything goes perfect might get to a Super in Bryan Fucking College Station ……well that’s just fucking unacceptable.

Yep. And this is precisely why Pierce has zero latitude.

For my money he needs to win a Regional and be at least competitive in a Super to be reasonably assured of another year.

10 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Yep. And this is precisely why Pierce has zero latitude.

For my money he needs to win a Regional and be at least competitive in a Super to be reasonably assured of another year.

Why do this years results matter?  That doesn’t really speak to the strength of the program or how it will look next year.  Barring a year with a total collapse, coaching decisions should be based on program strength rather ones season record.  I’m not sure how many persons on here have that much insight.

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I will say it's pretty dumb to abandon any Texas team under Pierce. This is pretty much what he does every year. They look bad for a certain stretch but by the end of the year they're almost always pretty good. 

Someone around here brings this up pretty often. Can’t recall who though…

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't see it as a circle jerk. 

I think everyone recognizes that Texas should be competing for titles and not simply be happy about being "good." But anyone who thought this was a lost season a couple months ago hasn't paid attention to what normally happens under Pierce. Here we are once again thinking this team won't make a regional and we will be a top 20ish-ranked team by the end of the regular season. Like I said, that shouldn't be the standard but that's not the point. 

And this is where Pierce loses me. Yeah, it’s awesome firing on all cylinders in the late part of the season. But it shouldn’t take that long. We should be ass raping everyone from the start like Texas baseball has since WW1

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

I’ll say it’s pretty dumb to dig a hole so fucking deep that after winning a few games late and going all “gee whillickers we have a chance!” late in the season anyone chooses to engage in a circle jerk

TAKE THE WIN PUSSY.

10 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Why do this years results matter?  That doesn’t really speak to the strength of the program or how it will look next year.  Barring a year with a total collapse, coaching decisions should be based on program strength rather ones season record.  I’m not sure how many persons on here have that much insight.

It’s not this years results. It’s his tenure. He maxed out the 2017 and 2018 teams. Good work. The 2021 team was awesome. The 2022 team was supposed to be awesome, but Witt went down and Stevens regressed. As did Nixon. Just like LBJ this year and Ridgeway back in 2019. For whatever reason, a stud pitcher or 2 seems to regress yearly under Pierce. Then last year went to the supers which was mostly fine in a rebuilding year. But this years team is roughly the same, arguably worse in some areas. Of course losing Mercer and Storm hurt but still, the fact that preseason Pierce thought Witt and Harrison would be legit contributors which makes me question his evaluations. 

So basically, is Pierce a good coach? Yes. Can he sustain a top 10 team yearly? Doesn’t appear so. With that being said, what a crazy ass year it’s been. Maybe we pull a ‘22 ole miss. That’d be pretty nice. 

The wild thing about the postponements of Houston/Oklahoma State is OKST went from being in the catbird seat being a half game ahead to being in a scenario where if Texas wins tomorrow then Oklahoma State will have to sweep Houston. Obviously the math doesn't change because of the rain delays, but there could be a scenario where Texas is chilling in 2nd place with Oklahoma State still having 2 games to play to finish their season. Would put some pressure on the pokes

13 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I mean we could backdoor into a super like we've done in the past, but it still wouldn't be a LHN crew. Tomorrow will be the last Zeke and Zonk UT game. 

I just hope Greg can sober up in time.  (Only half joking.)

6 hours ago, Fletch said:

It’s not this years results. It’s his tenure. He maxed out the 2017 and 2018 teams. Good work. The 2021 team was awesome. The 2022 team was supposed to be awesome, but Witt went down and Stevens regressed. . 

2020 team?  How did the pitching staff look that year? Probably not good enough to get to Omaha, but we might have at least won a few games in regional.

32 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Bingo. However, I’m told there is a 0.00000% chance of that.

False. You've been told repeatedly there is a 0.000000% chance Texas would host a regional. Don't try and now claim a backdoor SR scenario you never suggested in a foolish attempt to project superiority. Just take the loss, pussy.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

2020 team?  How did the pitching staff look that year? Probably not good enough to get to Omaha, but we might have at least won a few games in regional.

That 2020 pitching staff featured 3 starters who were taken in the top 5 rounds of the MLB draft, Tristan Stevens and Cole Quintanilla in the bullpen, freshman Andre Duplantier throwing nasty stuff pre injury and several other arms who were throwing well.

They probably would have won more than a few games in a regional.

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

False. You've been told repeatedly there is a 0.000000% chance Texas would host a regional. Don't try and now claim a backdoor SR scenario you never suggested in a foolish attempt to project superiority. Just take the loss, pussy.

I didn’t see that in my post or in the others. Texas isn’t hosting shit or 0.000% chance we host.

The question was if this was the last LHN game in major sport. 

I know you and others relish Texas losing and seeing the team fail. You cheer it on. Enjoy.

Edited by Balcones
  • Fuck You 1

38 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

That 2020 pitching staff featured 3 starters who were taken in the top 5 rounds of the MLB draft, Tristan Stevens and Cole Quintanilla in the bullpen, freshman Andre Duplantier throwing nasty stuff pre injury and several other arms who were throwing well.

They probably would have won more than a few games in a regional.

The '20 season being cancelled was unfortunate. Who knows what would have happened but an Elder, Madden, and Hansen rotation is about as filthy as it gets. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Balcones said:

The '20 team had a chance to be special. 

The '21 team ended up 1 game away from the national title series with Madden and Hansen. Now imagine you added a MLB starting caliber pitcher to that mix in Bryce Elder. We would have had the best starting rotation in the country that year by a mile.

8 hours ago, Fletch said:

It’s not this years results. It’s his tenure. He maxed out the 2017 and 2018 teams. Good work. The 2021 team was awesome. The 2022 team was supposed to be awesome, but Witt went down and Stevens regressed. As did Nixon. Just like LBJ this year and Ridgeway back in 2019. For whatever reason, a stud pitcher or 2 seems to regress yearly under Pierce. Then last year went to the supers which was mostly fine in a rebuilding year. But this years team is roughly the same, arguably worse in some areas. Of course losing Mercer and Storm hurt but still, the fact that preseason Pierce thought Witt and Harrison would be legit contributors which makes me question his evaluations. 

So basically, is Pierce a good coach? Yes. Can he sustain a top 10 team yearly? Doesn’t appear so. With that being said, what a crazy ass year it’s been. Maybe we pull a ‘22 ole miss. That’d be pretty nice. 

You’re kinda talking about the overall program status rather than this year we need to get to a super regional or else. That’s what CDC needs to do is evaluate the program.

The injuries need to be evaluated.  Witt is two years out now.  From my seat, DP should have been able to rely on him but something went wrong.  What was it?  I would say this team is potentially 2-3 guys that from being top 5 caliber, certainly top 10.

It’s an odd time.  Stanford and Miami both have losing records.  The two finalists from last year have losing records in conference.  Montgomery left Stanford for the Aggies.  CDC needs to evaluate what disadvantages being in the Big 12 over the SEC had because that’s now going away.

Staff turnover looks bad, but CDC knows better than us how that played out.

If we want to talk regression, let’s go to Wake Forests roster.  J. Hartle has gone from a sub-3 ERA to above 5.  Chase Burns is back to form but last year he went from freshman phenom to bullpen guy (that was a Tennessee problem).  Massey from mid-2s ERA to 4.22.  It happens and overall those need to be fewer than the improvements.

The name Texas means something in baseball but probably less so than ever.  That’s certainly not all DP.  And at least part, if not almost all, changes July 1st.

DP is a good coach.  I don’t know where he ranks overall.  CDC is good at what he does so I’ll assume he’ll make a well informed decision.

• Hook 'Em 4

53 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The '20 team had a chance to be special. 

I know. I was being facetious in my post and the 2020 team winning a few regional games.

Pierce haters purposely don’t talk about 2020 or that pitching staff/team. It doesn’t fit the Pierce can’t develop pitchers and is always mediocre. Pierce doesn’t get credit for Hansen, Madden, Elder, etc…. 2020 was right in between a 3 year CWS appearance. The team certainly had the talent and performance to go all the way.

Even this years team people shit on. Pierce can’t control injuries. Witt, Mercer, etc… but he still has a pitching staff with a top 40 team ERA with not a lot to work with.  He has Duplantier back from the dead, turned an OF into a producing starting pitcher, has OHara, Grubbs and Boehm over performing…. Yes, LBJ is disappointing, but he isn’t the entire story.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

42 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

You’re kinda talking about the overall program status rather than this year we need to get to a super regional or else. That’s what CDC needs to do is evaluate the program.

The injuries need to be evaluated.  Witt is two years out now.  From my seat, DP should have been able to rely on him but something went wrong.  What was it?  I would say this team is potentially 2-3 guys that from being top 5 caliber, certainly top 10.

It’s an odd time.  Stanford and Miami both have losing records.  The two finalists from last year have losing records in conference.  Montgomery left Stanford for the Aggies.  CDC needs to evaluate what disadvantages being in the Big 12 over the SEC had because that’s now going away.

Staff turnover looks bad, but CDC knows better than us how that played out.

If we want to talk regression, let’s go to Wake Forests roster.  J. Hartle has gone from a sub-3 ERA to above 5.  Chase Burns is back to form but last year he went from freshman phenom to bullpen guy (that was a Tennessee problem).  Massey from mid-2s ERA to 4.22.  It happens and overall those need to be fewer than the improvements.

The name Texas means something in baseball but probably less so than ever.  That’s certainly not all DP.  And at least part, if not almost all, changes July 1st.

DP is a good coach.  I don’t know where he ranks overall.  CDC is good at what he does so I’ll assume he’ll make a well informed decision.

THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS will always mean something in college baseball......carry on sir

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Fletch said:

Then last year went to the supers which was mostly fine in a

We were one play with a shitty lighting system married with coastal fog and a fluke mis-played flyball by our stud righfielder away from Omaha.

Edited by jdhorn92

21 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

We were one play with a shitty lighting system married with coastal fog and a fluke mis-played flyball by our stud righfielder away from Omaha.

Away from extra innings*

Obviously no guarantee we win that game but I get where you’re coming from. It’s still been a frustrating few years since our ‘21 run. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Sweeps are bad for morale.

Maybe Pierce wants to throw this game on purpose so we can head into the Big 12 tournament with a chip on our shoulder.

Cody Howard first out of the bullpen today