How Is That Chain Still Open?

I see the same Ben E. Keith and Sysco trucks pull up to most of  these shittastic chains y'all mention.  A handful control their own supply chain, but 80% of them do not . What makes some of them good and some of them laughable?  Presentation?  Colorful menus running 37 pages long?  Flair?  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

I see the same Ben E. Keith and Sysco trucks pull up to most of  these shittastic chains y'all mention.  A handful control their own supply chain, but 80% of them do not . What makes some of them good and some of them laughable?  Presentation?  Colorful menus running 37 pages long?  Flair?  

Sysco does have good stuff also and they have bottom level stuff too.  They supply all the Papa’s restaurants and many Houston steakhouses you wouldn’t expect.

4 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Sysco does have good stuff also and they have bottom level stuff too.  They supply all the Papa’s restaurants and many Houston steakhouses you wouldn’t expect.

That's a good point.  They do have wildly varying degrees of quality.  Which can't help but make me feedback to my question of how has Subway pulled off the greatest rouse in fast food history?  For decades they convinced people their food was a healthy option for fast food?   But they didn't really even try inside their stores to perpetuate that bullshit.  Once you walked in and saw the shitshow they called "their sandwich building line"...you knew you were in a shitshow.  Places like Panera at least pretend you're somewhere healthy and Popeye's admits you're there for diabetes.  But Subway managed to tow this sensitive line for decades.  

Anyway, I do like What-a-Burger.  

39 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Cheap and consistent...even if consistently shitty.

In college, my Go to drinking base was a McDonald's Number 2 supersized...  no matter where you are in the US, you know what you're going to get and how the booze will react.  I also worked at McD's some in Highschool.  Say what you want, they are well run/managed and the kitchens are clean.  They make you work every fucking second, "got time to lean, got time to clean"

But in the last 15 years I may have eaten there 5 times...maybe

I can almost understand Dickey's because they exist in many parts of the country where there is very little BBQ.  Dickey's BBQ is probably better than no BBQ (your opinion may vary).  What I don't understand is how places like Bill Milers and Golden Corral thrive in places like Austin where way better options are everywhere.

In Bill Miller’s case, fried chicken and breakfast tacos.

For all of you bitching about Popeyes: "Popeyes Is Perfect and You Are the Problem"

the food is then rearranged into the proper order for you by the AlTron 4800, and beamed back to the restaurant for packaging. You ordered a two-piece spicy with red beans and rice? No, you got a three piece mild with green beans. There are two biscuits in the bag. Why? Because the AlTron 4800 knew you were a little weak in terms of gut flora, and that you needed some easy chicken work to go with that necessary vegetable matter. The lack of red beans and rice is to teach you humility; the extra biscuit is to remind you that blessings, while random and surprising, are real. God might not respond, but he doesn’t cheat you. Neither does Popeyes.

A staffer may ignore you. A Popeyes employee might laugh when you request something, because—-well shit, what are you even doing trying to request something from Popeyes? Does one ask Mt. Everest to move aside when walking through the Himalaya? Does the lion request clearance from the elephant for safe passage across the savanna? Do you, on hearing a hurricane roaring towards your house, ask it to stop by the store for some Pedialyte and rice crackers, because you’re hungover and really don’t want the hassle of dealing with it and a weather system simultaneously?

No. You don’t get to ask things of the indifferent and superior natural world, and you do not get to ask things of Popeyes. That is the point: in a late-stage capitalism where eventually the robots will simply bring your customized, allergen-free consumer goods to your house, Popeyes does not deliver. It does not cater to your whims. In fact, it will deny them, and give you something else. It will hand you spicy when you want mild and mild when you want spicy because sometimes too much fulfillment softens you, and makes you unappreciative for the random grace of unanswered prayers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Dude you coulda gone literally a beer-bottle-throw down a dirt road and got real boudin.

Been eating so good all weekend in NOLA, car needed fuel, and family wanted to eat Arby’s. Fine with me.

Plus, Arby’s is delicious every once in awhile.

On 7/27/2018 at 9:14 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

The spicy at the Kroger across the street is spicier -- that's how wack that Popeye's is. It's also a franchise of an evil Pakistani crime family notorious for short-selling people at gas stations, selling Kush in vape shops and cutting down every tree around their restaurants whether or not they are in the public right of way or not. It would not surprise me if they just don't bother spicing anything there and are selling fried pigeons instead of chicken. 

I hate, hate those fucking people.  The Dannanis.  They live on the same street as my parents in Sugar Land.  They are pure scum.  They all build these 25,000 sf ugly as fuck mideastern styled mansions that stick out like sore thumbs -- 4 of them all next door to each other.  Then they don't take care of them properly so they look even shittier.  My mom runs the HOA.  They are beyond loaded, but try and fuck the HOA out of dues of maybe $1k a year.  They won't pay their dues until my mom shuts off garbage collection.  She has to deal with those idiots constantly.

I am going to figure out how to sue the shit out of them some day and do it pro bono.

So they were the fucks that cut down those beautiful oak trees on North Blvd and Kirby Dr at the Wendy's?  That's no surprise.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 1:01 PM, Lobo said:

Sysco is purely logistics and supply for major chains.  They don't set specifications.

Taco Bell sets the specification for "ground beef" and vendors fill Sysco's supply chain with that product.

Might've missed it but I'll offer up Gatti's pizza. How the fuck that place is still around is beyond me. I tried the one near the drag years ago one time and it was absolute trash. With so many good pizza spots within walking distance how do those places survive? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 936horn said:

Might've missed it but I'll offer up Gatti's pizza. How the fuck that place is still around is beyond me. I tried the one near the drag years ago one time and it was absolute trash. With so many good pizza spots within walking distance how do those places survive? 

The Gattiland ones, I understand. You can let your kid go wild on a few bucks worth of quarters while you gorge yourself on a mediocre pizza buffet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

True fact: my first real job was as a waiter at the red lobster in Stafford. Was young and naive. And didn’t realize the older, tatted up waitress wanted to bang me till after I left to move to Austin for school. Crab-Free Idiot.

Fifstds.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

True fact: my first real job was as a waiter at the red lobster in Stafford. Was young and naive. And didn’t realize the older, tatted up waitress wanted to bang me till after I left to move to Austin for school. Idiot.

Did she smell faintly of drawn butter?

• Like 1

Eating at Arby's is like fucking a fat chick.  I do it two to three times a week.

-Vic Mackey

On 7/26/2018 at 7:20 AM, RDCanecutter said:

Anybody got that friend that he is too shy to get a girlfriend, but he wants to eat at Hooters and when you go there he acts like Dos Equis Man and all the girls know his name?

You just described one of our buddies in college.  Great big fat dude, you know, the incel type. The Hooters girls knew him by name, doted on him, and he loooved it.  They would always bring him extra wetnaps.  

• Like 1

In college and  for a while after, my group of friends went to Hooters pretty much every week for MNF.  After a while we started taking our girlfriends, who ended up loving the place because they always got great service.

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

In college and  for a while after, my group of friends went to Hooters pretty much every week for MNF.  After a while we started taking our girlfriends, who ended up loving the place because they always got great service.

I have no great opposition to Hooters.  Hell, every now and then, I actually want to go (unhealthy wings and fried pickles FTW).  But the depression of going to a Hooters in a secondary market is real.  And then, there's this....

10 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Eating at Arby's is like fucking a fat chick.  I do it two to three times a week.

-Vic Mackey

You just described one of our buddies in college.  Great big fat dude, you know, the incel type. The Hooters girls knew him by name, doted on him, and he loooved it.  They would always bring him extra wetnaps.  

....those guys just make me cringe.  And back in the day, I remember seeing the same type in the strip clubs.  Dropping $400 a night, easy.  I remember thinking "shit, dude, spend just HALF of what you're blowing here on some exercise equipment, some healthy pre-made meals, and then take a gal out and drop $400 on her just once....and you'll get REAL action."  It was just sad to watch.

On 7/27/2018 at 11:30 AM, Brisketexan said:

I haven't eaten at a Pancho's in at least 15+ years, and even then, it was on a road trip to go fishing or something like that.

I would eat at one now....but it would totally be a macho on-a-dare kinda thing.  Except for the sopapillas.  Would still smash those.

I was always a fan of Pancho's chili rellenos.  And their sopapillas.  Are there any still open?

5 minutes ago, baboso said:

I was always a fan of Pancho's chili rellenos.  And their sopapillas.  Are there any still open?

What I found:

Pancho's Arlington

5751 SW Green Oaks Blvd

Arlington,TX,76017

Tel: 817 483 7085

Pancho's Fort Worth

2434 Jacksboro Hwy

Fort Worth,TX,76114

Tel: 817 625 1529

Pancho's Fort Worth

6238 Rufe Snow Dr

North Richland Hills,TX,76148

Tel: 817 893 5315

Pancho's Dallas

4001 Wheatland Road

Dallas,TX,75237

Tel: 972 709 4685

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

...those guys just make me cringe.  And back in the day, I remember seeing the same type in the strip clubs.  Dropping $400 a night, easy.  I remember thinking "shit, dude, spend just HALF of what you're blowing here on some exercise equipment, some healthy pre-made meals, and then take a gal out and drop $400 on her just once....and you'll get REAL action."  It was just sad to watch.

You judgemental bastard-- it's MY 400 bucks and I'll spend it how I want.

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I have no great opposition to Hooters.  Hell, every now and then, I actually want to go (unhealthy wings and fried pickles FTW).  But the depression of going to a Hooters in a secondary market is real.  And then, there's this....

I'd believe it. I've only ever been to the three Hooters that were in Austin/RR, and one in Newport Beach, CA, a couple decades ago.  All of those locations had plenty of talent.  

Anybody got that friend that he is too shy to get a girlfriend, but he wants to eat at Hooters and when you go there he acts like Dos Equis Man and all the girls know his name?

I used to work with a guy in college that couldn’t look a woman in the eye out in public, but he would turn in to Don Juan once he set foot in a strip club. The guy was 10 years older than the average employee and still lived with his mother. He was up to his eyeballs in CC debt from strip clubs. He even had a fake name that he gave to all of the strippers.

13 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Was it 'Luke Duke?'

Speaking of Luke Duke:

Tom Wopat, the former star of The Dukes of Hazzard, the 1980s TV sitcom about good ol' boys eluding the law, is in trouble again on indecent assault charges. 

Already accused of groping an adult female cast member of a musical he was supposed to appear in, he now faces charges he indecently assaulted a 16-year-old girl also in the cast of 42nd Street.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2017/09/26/dukes-hazzard-star-charged-assaulting-16-year-old-girl/706096001/

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

....those guys just make me cringe.  And back in the day, I remember seeing the same type in the strip clubs.  Dropping $400 a night, easy.  I remember thinking "shit, dude, spend just HALF of what you're blowing here on some exercise equipment, some healthy pre-made meals, and then take a gal out and drop $400 on her just once....and you'll get REAL action."  It was just sad to watch.

Seems like that talk with yourself worked out well for ya!

• Like 1