The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

Lots of nice equipment heading out of Austin this afternoon after the Formula One race.  This is just the most recent 40 per FlightAware, the big exodus began after 3:30 or so.  I bet that the FBO's were slammed this weekend:

Departures: Austin-Bergstrom Intl Airport (Austin, TX) [KAUS]

Ident Type Destination Departurearrow_down.gif Estimated
Arrival Time
Arrival
N101UD GL5T Orlando Intl (KMCO) Sun 06:10PM CDT Sun 09:08PM EDT  
AOJF1     Sun 06:09PM CDT    
XA-CGG HDJT   Sun 06:07PM CDT    
C-GNVI LJ45 Windsor (CYQG) Sun 06:01PM CDT Sun 09:36PM EDT  
EJA706 CL30 San Jose Int'l (KSJC) Sun 06:00PM CDT Sun 07:18PM PDT  
N609JS GA6C Portland-Hillsboro (KHIO) Sun 05:48PM CDT Sun 07:07PM PDT  
N4HD F2TH Dallas Love Fld (KDAL) Sun 05:46PM CDT Sun 06:20PM CDT  
N11HM GALX Snohomish County (KPAE) Sun 05:42PM CDT Sun 07:40PM PDT  
N765WM GALX Dupage (KDPA) Sun 05:41PM CDT Sun 07:42PM CDT  
FTH246 C750 Montreal-Trudeau (CYUL) Sun 05:40PM CDT Sun 09:49PM EDT  
EJA606 C68A Baton Rouge Metro (KBTR) Sun 05:35PM CDT Sun 06:24PM CDT  
XA-ATL GLF5   Sun 05:30PM CDT    
N810BE C560 Van Nuys (KVNY) Sun 05:27PM CDT Sun 06:51PM PDT  
LXJ406 E545 Kearney Rgnl (KEAR) Sun 05:26PM CDT Sun 07:03PM CDT  
JTL9 C680 Eppley Airfield (KOMA) Sun 05:24PM CDT Sun 07:10PM CDT  
N912KT PRM1 Clinton National (KLIT) Sun 05:23PM CDT Sun 06:34PM CDT  
EJM21 GLF4 Teterboro (KTEB) Sun 05:18PM CDT Sun 09:25PM EDT  
XA-KVD     Sun 05:15PM CDT    
N599HG GLF5 McClellan-Palomar (KCRQ) Sun 05:15PM CDT Sun 05:49PM PDT  
TWY81 GLF5 Van Nuys (KVNY) Sun 05:13PM CDT Sun 06:03PM PDT  
N660CC BE40 Palm Beach Intl (KPBI) Sun 05:10PM CDT Sun 08:29PM EDT  
EJA827 C700 San Jose Int'l (KSJC) Sun 05:07PM CDT Sun 06:24PM PDT  
N350HH CL30 Phoenix Sky Harbor Intl (KPHX) Sun 05:05PM CDT Sun 05:08PM MST  
EJA257 CL60 William P Hobby (KHOU) Sun 05:04PM CDT Sun 05:37PM CDT Sun 05:37PM CDT
LXJ522 CL30 San Jose Int'l (KSJC) Sun 05:04PM CDT Sun 06:29PM PDT

• Drool 1

Sounds like the Hawker took off with only a line up and wait clearance. And if that's true the Hawker pilot on the radio is a fucking asshole the way he's talking to ATC. I can cut him some slack because he just experienced a near death experience, but in his tone you can tell he's blaming ATC already when in fact it was his fault. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rv8riveter said:

Touchdown at midfield and fast makes for a bad day at T31.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzhHe42ukDa/

I wonder if he knew McKinney was less than 10 miles away. From what I read it was an emergency so maybe he was unable to get much further. Thankfully no serious injuries to all involved. 

On 10/25/2023 at 8:41 AM, Lat22 said:

How about the two bizjets that almost t-boned each other at the intersection of 22/13R at Hobby?

Animation shows private plane collision at Houston Hobby Airport | khou.com

Prelim NTSB report is out. The Hawker pilots were distracted trying to troubleshoot issues both on taxi and takeoff and didn't respond to controllers telling them to stop. 

As N269AA approached runway 22 for departure, about 1515:50, ground control instructed the crew of N269AA to monitor LC frequency. The flight crew stated in their post-accident interview that as they passed taxiway “K2” during their taxi to runway 22 they switched to the LC frequency. As the airplane began the left turn to be perpendicular to the runway, they stated the V-speeds were no longer on the display screens.

At 1518:01 the local controller instructed the crew of N269AA to LUAW on runway 22, to which the crew acknowledged. The local controller did not give a traffic advisory to N269AA. N269AA was in the takeoff roll on runway 22, when the flight data/clearance delivery controller alerted the local controller about N269AA’s movement, and at 1519:47 the local controller stated “november nine alpha alpha, stop, hold your position.” There was no response from the crew of N269AA, and at 1519:53 the local controller again stated, “alpha, alpha, hold your position, stop,” to which there was still no response.

The flight crew from N269AA stated in their post-accident interview they had a rudder bias alert, and a pitch trim alert which they had to resolve as they were in the takeoff roll.

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, twosheds said:

Hey @markstanco , the SHV news just said a small plane went down at TXK. I hope everyone is ok?

Not a scratch on him.  The owner of the plane is a friend and a GREAT pilot. He was my kiddos teacher 2 years ago in middle school. 

I havent texted him yet because, BUSY I am sure.  

On 12/18/2023 at 6:53 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Forney had some fun today too. 

spacer.png

Likely fuel starvation. Looking at FlightAware they were doing some sort of pipeline patrol/aerial photography and were in the air over 5 hours. Sucks because they had Terrell Municipal right there but tried to get all the way back to Mesquite. Time to update the resume...

d07594220f3ab5bfd13c51843e27674e.jpg
c0435fb3415f575b693791548b43f851.jpg
This one is pretty special. It’s a real Deperdussin racer. Everything around it looks like powered kites because that’s what was contemporary. But this is one of those true “form follows function” moments. It a pretty airplane.
2fb115d156ca92117ad2cdd52843a10c.jpg
The building itself is an art deco gem. The former Le Bourget terminal.
11507daf08e3a9aaf5cab054119faeb2.jpg
A zeppelin gondola.
32c50f8eb154fb1b56acd2246463ebf8.jpg

74785a40acf42fc2fe371c557f55b2d9.jpg
I love the folk art of aviation.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Cool AF. Can you believe some of that stick and cloth shit actually flew?

Even more fun ate the planes from what I call the “Hall of Nope” or “It was a great idea, it just didn’t work” or “French Engineering: Nobody copies the French and the French don’t copy nobody.”

Wingtip jets? We got em.
17f3034d9a259af90a37e5138d7446e8.jpg
d135b1052fa8d8a7615c1fdff98a2f23.jpg
VTOL bomber? Check

Weird cockpit over giant engine? Sure!

There’s a couple more doozies but those will have to wait until later.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Tossing this out there to any of my Surl brethren who have adequate French skills to search the internets.

One of the major articles I wanted to see at the French Air and Space Museum was the original Spad XIII of Georges Guynemer named «Vieux Charles ».

It was not there when I visited, yet pics of it in the same museum abound. I have scoured the English internet and can’t find anything about where it went? Can one of you take up the French quest?

Merci beaucoup.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never heard that much emotion from a commercial pilot in an emergency before. She sounded rattled.  Good job getting the bird down. 

Sounds like no one was sitting in that seat. That shit would be nuts. 

Today marks the F-16’s 50th Anniversary for its accidental first flight, meant originally for the 2nd of February. To avoid further damage and a potential crash during a high speed taxi test, Test Pilot Phil Oestricher, took the aircraft airborne and landed safely 6 minutes later. The 90 minute maiden flight for the YF-16 still occurred on the planned date at Edwards AFB.

OTD in 1974, the F-16 (unintentionally) flew for the first time. During the first high-speed taxi test, a lateral oscillation developed as the jet reached rotation speed. The pilot chose to take off to prevent plowing through the desert and safely landed after a 6-minute flight.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

More Viper at 50. I had a die-cast model of the F-16 as a kid, a nice one that was in 1:144 scale.  It was easily my favorite, the X-Wing of 4th Gen fighters.  It’s become such a formidable machine but I still love the super clean lines and bubble canopy of the F-16A/B without the conformal tanks. 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

Good effort, bro. 

A 23-year-old man died in a small plane crash in rural Northeast Texas on Wednesday night, and authorities said the aircraft was stolen from an Addison flight school.

The crash happened around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday about nine miles northeast of Telephone, Texas, near the Red River in Fannin County, according to a news release from the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Logan Timothy James, 23, of Stokesdale, N.C., was identified as the pilot who died, the release said.

No one else was on board the Cessna 172 plane when it crashed in an open field.

Officials said investigators learned that James stole the plane from the ATP Flight School in Addison. 

Addison city officials confirmed that James was a student at ATP and that the aircraft left the Addison airport at 6:53 p.m. Wednesday. The city said police were investigating if the plane was stolen. 

The pilot, identified as Logan Timothy James in a Department of Public Safety news release, took off from the Addison Airport near downtown Dallas on a practice flight maneuver. Once airborne, he advised the air traffic controller he was “going to depart to the east,” according to audio from the flight published as a YouTube video on the VAS Aviation channel.

“About right now, you’ll probably realize that I’m not going to listen to y’all’s instructions,” James can heard saying.

The 23-year-old said he was flying to East Texas, and told the air traffic controller he was going to “unkey” the microphone and pull the Comm 1 and 2 circuit breakers.

“Say again,” the air traffic controller responds.

James doesn’t reply, and the controller tries to reestablish communication with him for the next 10 minutes, according to the audio.

The Cessna 172 Skyhawk traveled east and then north toward the Texas-Oklahoma border before crashing in an open field nine miles northeast of Telephone, Texas, in Fannin County according to the DPS news release.