The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

There was a 182P that I was trying to buy a few weeks ago that the seller got cold feet. I woke up this morning to a text message saying he is willing to sell and to come take a look this weekend if I’m still interested. Now i’m torn on what to do.

What’s the insurance difference? And does that matter? How many hours do you have?

Hoping some of you aficionados can help identify a pair of planes I saw at ABIA yesterday around 12:15.

Spotted as I was in line to drop off, so they were on the West Runway, going North.  I'm pretty good with almost all military aircraft, but didn't recognize these so I'm thinking foreign or some random prop plane that just isn't in regular rotation. Definitely military, as they were that kinda grey, kinda OD green, and no visible markings.  Best way I can describe is a stretched out C130?  Longer than a Herc, with a huge vertical stabilizer.  Is there a public logbook with all planes in/out of ABIA?

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

Hoping some of you aficionados can help identify a pair of planes I saw at ABIA yesterday around 12:15.

Spotted as I was in line to drop off, so they were on the West Runway, going North.  I'm pretty good with almost all military aircraft, but didn't recognize these so I'm thinking foreign or some random prop plane that just isn't in regular rotation. Definitely military, as they were that kinda grey, kinda OD green, and no visible markings.  Best way I can describe is a stretched out C130?  Longer than a Herc, with a huge vertical stabilizer.  Is there a public logbook with all planes in/out of ABIA?

Most newer C-130J's are 15' longer than the older E/H model that you're used to seeing.  That might be what you're referring to. 

C-130 News: France To Order Four C-130J Super Hercules Aircraft From US -  2015 - C-130 Hercules.net -- The internet's #1 C-130 resource

• Hook 'Em 1

Very interesting.  I definitely did not know there was a longer version.  I should have snapped a pic.  Still feel like what I saw was longer than that - like double the length of the OG.  It felt almost like looking at a WW2 bomber from a fuselage perspective.  I'm sure someone will show up w/ logs and it will be that J model though.

5 hours ago, Mittens said:

Very interesting.  I definitely did not know there was a longer version.  I should have snapped a pic.  Still feel like what I saw was longer than that - like double the length of the OG.  It felt almost like looking at a WW2 bomber from a fuselage perspective.  I'm sure someone will show up w/ logs and it will be that J model though.

Saturday night a Canadian AF Hercules flew over my house headed south. I pulled up flightradar24 and followed it all the way to Bergstrom. Probably what you saw. I didn’t pay any attention to the model other than Lockheed Herc. The flight originated at Winnipeg. I only followed it because it seemed odd to have a RCAF plane over Kansas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Mittens said:

https://www.radarbox.com/data/flights/CFC2537/1909449229

Was buzzing around the lake the other day.  Loud son of a bitch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

https://www.radarbox.com/data/flights/CFC2537/1909449229

Was buzzing around the lake the other day.  Loud son of a bitch. 

That's it! I said Saturday night but it was Friday. I've been in and out of a covid coma for the last several days and got my days  confused. This is my old man hobby. I wait for something to fly over and track it til it lands.

Those guys were flying in a pair both Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon. Both times I saw them they were heading north over NW Austin. They were flying at a very low altitude for being that far from AUS, heading away from AUS. Very cool sight to see.

Edited by dieucla98

What’s the insurance difference? And does that matter? How many hours do you have?

I walked on the 182. There is a pretty good chance that it was flooded during a hurricane back in 2017.

I checked insurance today on the 250 and it came out to a little over 6K. While steep this was expected. I think I have a spot secured in a hangar which will help drop the premium.

I'm only at 115 hours. My plan is to try and fly 75-100 hours and get my instrument rating this year. Both of those should help out with the insurance at renewal.

Wow that is pricey insurance, I won't be complaining about mine anymore.  Somewhat understandable low time and a retract, but wow. 

My next-door neighbor has a -300 and was formerly the president of the International Comanche Society. You might want to touch base with them for a check out program endorsed by them which may help your insurance rate. They also may be able to recommend a Comanche experienced local (to the plane) mechanic for a pre-buy inspection.

International Comanche Society (comancheflyers.com)

Good Luck.

As a pilot I’ve come to loathe AUS from an operational perspective. Mostly because of the ramp, which is uncontrolled and akin to the wild Wild West. But they do love to keep the departures tight. What tower was thinking clearing a takeoff in hard IFR with a heavy on short final… I guess we will find out soon enough. Wonder how much awareness the Southwest guys initially had of what was going on.

2 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

As a pilot I’ve come to loathe AUS from an operational perspective. Mostly because of the ramp, which is uncontrolled and akin to the wild Wild West. But they do love to keep the departures tight. What tower was thinking clearing a takeoff in hard IFR with a heavy on short final… I guess we will find out soon enough. Wonder how much awareness the Southwest guys initially had of what was going on.

Meaning once you're ready to go you tell the ground crew when to push back? And then you contact ground? Whereas other airports with that volume of traffic have a specific ramp control you contact before ground? 

I get why airports like Lubbock and Abilene would operate that way, which makes sense that Austin can turn into a shitshow if that's how it works there.  

Meaning once you're ready to go you tell the ground crew when to push back? And then you contact ground? Whereas other airports with that volume of traffic have a specific ramp control you contact before ground? 
I get why airports like Lubbock and Abilene would operate that way, which makes sense that Austin can turn into a shitshow if that's how it works there.  

Yes there is no ramp frequency. Pushbacks are uncontrolled and you don’t talk to ground until you leave the ramp area.
Shit like this happens all the time

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

Was WN taking longer than tower expected when they said they were ready for departure?  Wondering if they had to do a static takeoff to run up the motors in icing conditions, and tower was cutting it too close with FedEx on short final.  

I’d imagine one of the scariest things as a pilot has to be starting a go around with a similar-performance bird underneath you, and being unaware if they’re aborting or on the roll. 

38 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Was WN taking longer than tower expected when they said they were ready for departure?  Wondering if they had to do a static takeoff to run up the motors in icing conditions, and tower was cutting it too close with FedEx on short final.  

I’d imagine one of the scariest things as a pilot has to be starting a go around with a similar-performance bird underneath you, and being unaware if they’re aborting or on the roll. 

That's my theory. Tower thought WN was ready and had enough time to get out before the FedEx on a 3 mile final. Even though WN confirmed they knew how close the FedEx was, they didn't move quick enough. The recording cuts 30 seconds, then 20 seconds of silence during WN's takeoff, which is a crucial 50 seconds of limbo in that tight of a window. On top of that there was dense fog and low visibility so nobody could see eachother. 

On the AUS ramp deal with Virgin…  I may be biased but SWA had no need to yield there. The ramp is wide enough Virgin has room and every right to go around them.   The SWA tug driver purposely stopped short enough to allow Virgin to pass around them. It happens daily and you just taxi around the guy.  That’s just how it works  

I don’t think AUS quite needs a ramp control yet, but that’s just me. That big wide ramp has lots of room.  Nashville could use one though, it’s tight and congested there.  

On the near miss today… holy shit. That was bad. FedEx pilots saved lives. Im guessing the SWA was a Max and didn’t have the full warm up time yet. Another reason to not to taxi out single engine if so.  Could’ve been something else though.  It’ can take 30 seconds or so to acknowledge your takeoff clearance, make the turn, and spool up to roll, but 50 seconds is a bit much with a guy 3 miles out.  I don’t know how low the vis was but that’s no time to have tight spacing.  

Edited by Your Mom

FedEx was on a CatIII ILS approach. He was autolanding. Southwest shouldn’t have been anywhere inside the ILS critical area. Sounds like the controller screwed up big time. I’m not a pilot and didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express. I watched Blancolirio. 

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

FedEx was on a CatIII ILS approach. He was autolanding. Southwest shouldn’t have been anywhere inside the ILS critical area. Sounds like the controller screwed up big time. I’m not a pilot and didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express. I watched Blancolirio. 

I think the ILS equipment is on the east side of that runway.  Traffic from the terminal approaches it from the west side and doesn’t encroach on the critical area.

I don’t know the spacing requirements there but I’d be irritated if I was inside 3 miles on a Cat III and heard them clear someone ahead of me.  At the same time, you have to be ready to roll if you take that TO clearance in that situation. 

6 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I think the ILS equipment is on the east side of that runway.  Traffic from the terminal approaches it from the west side and doesn’t encroach on the critical area.

I don’t know the spacing requirements there but I’d be irritated if I was inside 3 miles on a Cat III and heard them clear someone ahead of me.  At the same time, you have to be ready to roll if you take that TO clearance in that situation. 

This.  No time to fuck around on the runway.  

11 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

That’s not real.

It was like a quarter mile visibility that day. That’s a Flight Simulator reenactment based on preliminary data that may or may not be accurate. 

Way more foggy that day.  I've always thought it a mistake to place an airport in a Colorado River foggy bottom valley.

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

That’s not real.

It was like a quarter mile visibility that day. That’s a Flight Simulator reenactment based on preliminary data that may or may not be accurate. 

Yeah, not super accurate.

SW was told there was a Boeing 767 heavy on 3-mile final and they even fucking acknowledged it when confirming their takeoff clearance...then for whatever reason they either took too long to line-up or they sat for 20-30 seconds before applying takeoff power.

3 mile final for a 767 is basically a 1-minute warning, and at an airport like JFK it's not uncommon at all for the 22R/4L or 31L/31R runways to be shared for pretty tight departing and arriving traffic in similar proximities.  I'm no expert but the controller at AUS seemed to totally lose it with respect to both aircraft in that critical 60-second period.  Hopefully they fire his ass or transfer him to Albuquerque. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, McCroskey said:

Yeah, not super accurate.

SW was told there was a Boeing 767 heavy on 3-mile final and they even fucking acknowledged it when confirming their takeoff clearance...then for whatever reason they either took too long to line-up or they sat for 20-30 seconds before applying takeoff power.

3 mile final for a 767 is basically a 1-minute warning, and at an airport like JFK it's not uncommon at all for the 22R/4L or 31L/31R runways to be shared for pretty tight departing and arriving traffic in similar proximities.  I'm no expert but the controller at AUS seemed to totally lose it with respect to both aircraft in that critical 60-second period.  Hopefully they fire his ass or transfer him to Albuquerque. 

ABQ isn't easy duty in the summer when it is hot.  Weight and balance is a big deal.  I've had more than on flight from ABQ to DAL that had to stop in AMA to take on fuel.

On 2/5/2023 at 4:27 PM, Your Mom said:

On the AUS ramp deal with Virgin…  I may be biased but SWA had no need to yield there. The ramp is wide enough Virgin has room and every right to go around them.   The SWA tug driver purposely stopped short enough to allow Virgin to pass around them. It happens daily and you just taxi around the guy.  That’s just how it works  

I don’t think AUS quite needs a ramp control yet, but that’s just me. That big wide ramp has lots of room.  Nashville could use one though, it’s tight and congested there.  

On the near miss today… holy shit. That was bad. FedEx pilots saved lives. Im guessing the SWA was a Max and didn’t have the full warm up time yet. Another reason to not to taxi out single engine if so.  Could’ve been something else though.  It’ can take 30 seconds or so to acknowledge your takeoff clearance, make the turn, and spool up to roll, but 50 seconds is a bit much with a guy 3 miles out.  I don’t know how low the vis was but that’s no time to have tight spacing.  

This isn't true. The outer taxilane is wingspan restricted and VS is too large for it. Narrowbodies may be able to do it but no chance for a heavy.

47 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Point taken. Where you at these days?  You and I had a couple conversations years ago when you were just getting started. Hope all is well with you. 

I have one trip left at Republic, then off to United next month. Had CJOs at AA, DL, and UA but decided on UA since it offers the best combination of bases and seniority.

Always appreciated your help early on. Seems like a lifetime ago and also yesterday.