"'Animal House' At 40: 'Toxic Showcase of Racism, Homophobia, and Jokes About Sexual Assault"

phdhorn

Just now, Iconoclast Texan said:

I bet the author of this article went to some school like Wesleyan and had a worthless degree

She fucked up.  She trusted us.

Oh no movies I thought were funny as a kid might not appeal to today’s climate or audience that don’t have dinosaur humor from the 80s. 

Wah wah wah 

lets be honest, the movies that get the most references here on Surly aren’t relevant at all to the under 35 crowd and it makes y’all sad. 

Hollywood makes what makes money. End of story. Go be the audience then instead of sitting on the internet whining about how Hollywood doesn’t cater to the family experience anymore. 

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

And the now constant misuse of "begs the question" which should be "raises the question." Begs the question has a specific, difficult to understand meaning that likely shouldn't be tossed away. But it will be because copy editing is a thing of the past.

^ Along those lines, I always think of nonplussed.

Are you plussed or are you not plussed? In the US, it's often used to mean not bothered or surprised.

Edited by retread

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Oh no movies I thought were funny as a kid might not appeal to today’s climate or audience that don’t have dinosaur humor from the 80s. 

Wah wah wah 

lets be honest, the movies that get the most references here on Surly aren’t relevant at all to the under 35 crowd and it makes y’all sad. 

Hollywood makes what makes money. End of story. Go be the audience then instead of sitting on the internet whining about how Hollywood doesn’t cater to the family experience anymore. 

Agreed, there is an audience that will most assuredly always have content made for that generation... Just as things were fast & loose in the 80's, things are only tighter now due to the increase in technology to record devious or raunchy encounters between individuals... That is what is helping to cause a climate of outing any bad behavior, plus it makes money...

The author mentions Animal house also being homophobic/anti-gay.

Where in Animal house was the anti-gay stuff?  Other than mentioning Marmalard gets raped in jail?  but that's not a gay joke, you'd think an easily-triggered snowflake knows the difference between an anti-gay joke  and then making light of prison rape, which is a complete separate topic that has nothing to do with being gay.  In fact most gay communities don't acknowledge that as being gay sex...because you know...it ain't fucking consensual.  

When I read the headline, the first scene I thought that a Smith College graduate would be offended by was gonna be when they premeditate their trip to "Emily Dickinson College" (trigger) to coax Fawn's roommate into having sex with Stratton.  He fabricates a story, takes complete advantage of an emotionally vulnerable woman, pumps her full of booze, and then lies his way into her myriad orifices in the car's back seat at an all-black lakeside cocktail lounge.  There's a bunch of shit wrong in that scene...which is why it's probably the funniest in the whole movie.  

I will say if you're gonna bag on a scene, be offended at how awkward and outta place the parade scene is when the playboy bunny flies into the kid's bedroom.  It disturbs the flow of an otherwise well done parade scene.  It's so forced and outta place.  Never liked that scene. 

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I will say if you're gonna bag on a scene, be offended at how awkward and outta place the parade scene is when the playboy bunny flies into the kid's bedroom.  It disturbs the flow of an otherwise well done parade scene.  It's so forced and outta place.  Never liked that scene. 

Dude.  It's National Lampoon and not Ingmar Bergman.

• Like 1

Just now, Js1 said:

Wah wah wah 

It's not like current comedies arent just as raunchy. The only difference is that female characters are more likely to have some fun too. Spy is hilarious and raunchy. Bridesmaids too. Even Snatched is pretty funny. The Kingsman movies are more action than comedy, but they are funny, Kingsman 2 was last year, and in part of the plot, he had to put a tracker in a woman's pussy.

Lately though, the locker room type movies with mostly male casts have simply sucked. Cooper managed to pull off the exact right amount of douchebagness while remaining likable to make Hangover great. It's hard to get it just right. Vince Vaughn nailed it in Old School and Swingers, but failed everywhere else. And Will Arnett is just unlikable in everything he is in, in spite of trying to play that same character. 

The timing is actually right for an animal house type college comedy again. 

The article actually is a good example of what PC started out being. Well-intentioned hyper-sensitivity. I recall the first story was a reaction to a city councilman somewhere using the word niggardly in a budget discussion. He use was appropriate and innocent. The reaction was stupid because it merely sounds like a slur without any relation to the slur.

The current PC means taking everything seriously. Blazing Saddles does not actually endorse racism because it shows (sends up) racism. Blutarsky in Animal House is not presented as a model human being. In fact, there is just about nothing in Animal House that redeems a single character. 

The author's sideline about rape in prison is the perfect display of PC. I don't like the assumption that prisoners will be raped or that it is funny in real life. In fact, I find our prisons to be maybe the most abhorrent aspect of our country since we all bear responsibility. OMG! Animal House makes a joke of it! It's a great joke that actually alludes to one of the more horrible things that can happen to a person.

I see some of the conversation will drift into a few white conservatives being annoyed that they can't use slurs anymore. I guess they thought Animal House and Blazing Saddles indicate that this is okay. Sad.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Have you ever seen the original Bad News Bears?

Tanner Boyle: “Jews, spics, niggers, and now a girl?”

maxresdefault.jpg

LOL

I got banned on the Shag for quoting a line from the Bad News Bears.

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

The article actually is a good example of what PC started out being. Well-intentioned hyper-sensitivity. I recall the first story was a reaction to a city councilman somewhere using the word niggardly in a budget discussion. He use was appropriate and innocent. The reaction was stupid because it merely sounds like a slur without any relation to the slur.

The current PC means taking everything seriously. Blazing Saddles does not actually endorse racism because it shows (sends up) racism. Blutarsky in Animal House is not presented as a model human being. In fact, there is just about nothing in Animal House that redeems a single character. 

The author's sideline about rape in prison is the perfect display of PC. I don't like the assumption that prisoners will be raped or that it is funny in real life. In fact, I find our prisons to be maybe the most abhorrent aspect of our country since we all bear responsibility. OMG! Animal House makes a joke of it! It's a great joke that actually alludes to one of the more horrible things that can happen to a person.

I see some of the conversation will drift into a few white conservatives being annoyed that they can't use slurs anymore. I guess they thought Animal House and Blazing Saddles indicate that this is okay. Sad.

Blazing Saddles?  What about Django Unchained? That was only a few years ago. It ain't solemn and thought provoking regarding slavery either. 

And nearly all TV comedies these days are based on the Seinfeld model which has no redeeming characters. It's Always Sunny is a big hit and it is un-PC in ways that weren't ever really done on TV or movies before, and all the characters are pieces of shit really. Still hilarious. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

1 hour ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Humor won't die but you can be sure that's what's funny will change.  Always has, just like culture.  It's the tension with inappropriateness that makes the funny, and the line for appropriate shifts.

Sometimes what's funny changes and sometimes it doesn't.  

Shakespeare is still funny.  Oscar Wilde is still funny.

George Carlin and Richard Pryor are still funny.  But the millennials will not have a Carlin or Pryor of their generation.  Nor will they have an Animal House, Airplane, Blazing Saddles, etc.  The Huffington Post thought police and their own need to feel morally superior at all costs won't let them.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

George Carlin and Richard Pryor are still funny.  But the millennials will not have a Carlin or Pryor of their generation.  Nor will they have an Animal House, Airplane, Blazing Saddles, etc.  The Huffington Post thought police and their own need to feel morally superior at all costs won't let them.

Sure they will.

Chaucer was writing fart jokes over 600 years ago.  I don't think good humor has ever been sanitized.  I'm fairly sensitive to time & place when it comes to certain topics and means of communication, but I think the current wave of overly PC interpretation is just that . . . a wave.  This too shall pass.

7 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

That's just stupid.  Off the top of my head, Key and Peele are there.  So is Apatow though maybe he is Gen X. I guess stand up could be dead though. Dont follow it.  Have you not watched a single movie or TV show in the last 20 years?

8 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Disagree.  This decade has been somewhat of a second golden age of standup.  There will be numerous comics from this era that will hold up and still be talked about 30 years from now.  

And when the millenials are in their 50s, 60s, and 70s, they won't be talking about Aninal House or Caddyshack because they'll be talking about Anchorman, Superbad, Wedding Crashers, The Other Guys, The Hangover, and so on while yelling at clouds about how the worthless younger generation in 2050 aren't as funny as the stuff they grew up with.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Can we start a subforum called “Lemon Party” where we can put this and the Hillary Clinton tribute thread and the rest of the butthurt grievance airings?

Can also have a Fuck Happy Holidays thread

5 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

That's just stupid.  Off the top of my head, Key and Peele are there.  So is Apatow though maybe he is Gen X. I guess stand up could be dead though. Dont follow it.  Have you not watched a single movie or TV show in the last 20 years?

You missed the point.  

There was a brand of comedy that is basically outlawed now.  Doesn't matter that it was hilarious, because it's not PC now.

And it's a shame, because comedy that pushed the racial envelope actually did a lot of good beyond just being funny.

Oh, and Apatow is like 50.

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

You missed the point.  

There was a brand of comedy that is basically outlawed now.  Doesn't matter that it was hilarious, because it's not PC now.

And it's a shame, because comedy that pushed the racial envelope actually did a lot of good beyond just being funny.

Oh, and Apatow is like 50.

None of that is outlawed now. Watch Key and Peele's stuff.  Have you never watched Always Sunny?  Or Django Unchained?  The envelope gets pushed way past what those old folks were doing.  Comedy really doesnt give a fuck about PC these days. You're way out of touch. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Comedy really doesnt give a fuck about PC these days. You're way out of touch. 

Some guys named Seinfeld, Cleese, and Rock, et al, would disagree with you.

Jerry Seinfeld: Political Correctness Will Destroy Comedy

Seinfeld said college students don't understand racism and sexism. "They just want to use these words: 'That’s racist;' 'That’s sexist;' 'That’s prejudice.' They don’t even know what the f—k they’re talking about.”

10 famous comedians on how political correctness is killing comedy: “We are addicted to the rush of being offended”

1. Chris Rock
In an interview with Frank Rich in New York Magazine, Chris Rock said he stopped playing colleges because they are too conservative: “Not in their political views — not like they’re voting Republican — but in their social views and their willingness not to offend anybody." He also discussed how the prevalence of social media forces comedians into self-censorship. As he put it: “It is scary, because the thing about comedians is that you’re the only ones who practice in front of a crowd. Prince doesn’t run a demo on the radio. But in stand-up, the demo gets out. There are a few guys good enough to write a perfect act and get onstage, but everybody else workshops it and workshops it, and it can get real messy. It can get downright offensive. Before everyone had a recording device and was wired like fucking Sammy the Bull, you’d say something that went too far, and you’d go, “Oh, I went too far,” and you would just brush it off. But if you think you don’t have room to make mistakes, it’s going to lead to safer, gooier stand-up. You can’t think the thoughts you want to think if you think you’re being watched.”

2. John Cleese
The former Python has been particularly outspoken in his views against PC culture. As he put it in an interview with Bill Maher, Cleese dismissed political correctness as “condescending,” saying “It starts as a half way decent idea and then it goes completely wrong and is taken ad absurdum,” and explaining how he stopped making race-related jokes after audiences were angered by jokes about Mexicans in his routine. As he put it “Make jokes about Swedes and Germans and French and English and Canadians and Americans, why can't we make jokes about Mexicans? Is it because they are so feeble that they can't look after themselves? It's very very condescending there.”

Edited by Art Vandelay
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Prob is SJW don't understand comedy nor do they care about right or wrong. Used the n-word? Automatic racism!  

Who says that?  Last year, there was a movie about rich white people kidnapping black people and putting old white people's brains in them. It was a huge hit. It's just as right to lampoon racists in comedy as it was in Blazing Saddles day. If anything, it would have been harder to get away with Get Out back then.  Black comedians also use the n word all the time. White actors use it when they play racist parts even when the racist part is overtly comedic.  Nobody complains about any of it. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

None of that is outlawed now. Watch Key and Peele's stuff.  Have you never watched Always Sunny?  Or Django Unchained?  The envelope gets pushed way past what those old folks were doing.  Comedy really doesnt give a fuck about PC these days. You're way out of touch. 

If you think Key and Peele or Always Sunny push the envelope more than comedy in the 70s, you really have no idea what you're talking about.

Chevy Chase said "nigger" to Richard Pryor on live tv in like 1975, and Richard threatened to kill him, and it was funny as hell.  Compare that to SNL today.

And I don't know why you keep bringing up Django.  Completely different genre.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Most of what you say is true.  I disagree that you should expect humor or humorists to be a commodity that can be transplanted between generations and cultures.  There will not be another Carlin or Pryor unless we nail the cloning thing.  People look at you weird if you make the high-pitched British old lady Monty Python voice now.  Groucho Marx has not been repeated.  I'm not a silent movie fan but still recognize that Charlie Chaplin was once cutting-edge.  They were products of their times and that time is gone.  

It's also worth remembering that whereas comedy was once limited to book, magazine, record, network television, movie, or live form, you can now find watch Netflix from your phone with infinitely more comedy and humor offered at various increments on the appropriateness continuum.  Something for everybody.  It won't show up at my local movie theater but then again we never go there anyway.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Jerry Seinfeld would disagree, at least as on college campuses. 

10 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

And most comedians today like Bill Burr just shrug and laugh at the PC crowd and tell non-PC jokes anyway.

And when has Seinfeld ever told offensive jokes or pushed the envelope?  I don't claim to have seen all of his stuff, but from what material I have seen he's about as clean as they come.  I can't imagine anyone getting offended at his jokes.

Edited by Tom

1 minute ago, Tom said:

And most comedians today like Bill Burr just shrug and laugh at the PC crowd and tell non-PC jokes anyway.

And when has Seinfeld ever told an offensive joke or pushed the envelope?  I don't claim to have seen all of his stuff, but from what I have seen he's about as clean as they come.  I can't imagine anyone getting offended at his jokes.

Probably why Bill Burr isn't a household name like the others I mentioned.

As for Seinfeld, this is from the Salon article.

Yesterday, Jerry Seinfeld — a famously “clean” comic known for staying away from controversial issues — issued some strong words on the topic of political correctness. After stating that political correctness is hurting comedy and railing on college kids for being too sensitive on an ESPN podcast, he later went on Seth Meyers to say that “there’s a creepy PC thing out there that really bothers me," because some of his old routines riffing on gay men no longer play well with audiences.

8 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

If you think Key and Peele or Always Sunny push the envelope more than comedy in the 70s, you really have no idea what you're talking about.

Chevy Chase said "nigger" to Richard Pryor on live tv in like 1975, and Richard threatened to kill him, and it was funny as hell.  Compare that to SNL today.

And I don't know why you keep bringing up Django.  Completely different genre.

Pryor himself quit using the word in 1979. White people have never been able to use it except where given license by black people for instances like the Chase/Pryor skit. Those things still happen in movies. Even then, Always Sunny has gotten away with it.

Django is also comedic. So is Get Out. So what if they aren't slapstick or overt. They are successful because of great comedic timing.

Shit, Who Is America is on right now and it's funny because racists are making fools of themselves. In 2 episodes, the N word has been said maybe 50 times. Nobody is calling for it to be pulled off the air except conservatives. 

30 minutes ago, Tom said:

Disagree.  This decade has been somewhat of a second golden age of standup.  There will be numerous comics from this era that will hold up and still be talked about 30 years from now. 

Agree 100%.  You'e got the fairly milquetoast John Mulaney to balls to the wall offensive Doug Stanhope and everything in between working right now.  There's something for everyone out there right now.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

You're right. They won't have it. Thought police and desensitization make it very difficult.

I feel bad for younger people who won't have the thrill of discovering the great music of the 60s-80s. I'm sure that some do discover and enjoy it, and I guess the rest think that today's music is just as amazing as The Beatles/Zep/Stones/etc were to us.

5 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Probably why Bill Burr isn't a household name like the others I mentioned.

As for Seinfeld, this is from the Salon article.

Hes not a household name because stand up is mostly dead. And it's dead because there is far too much other shit to binge watch now.  Few people go watch it live and few people watch it on TV. And really, a super non-PC comic would probably get more traction than a clean one given our current way of consuming media. 

Ain't no money any more in starting it the way Rock, Murphy, Pryor, or Seinfeld did. 

17 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Key and Peele are irrelevant to this discussion.  They are black and therefore have an automatic pass.  It's not controversial when they used the word.  

Motherfuckers are talking about Richard Pryor and how what he did wouldnt be okay now. What color was he?  For sure, a white dude couldn't have gotten on stage in 1973 and reeled off a Pryor set either. A black comic could go on stage and give a similar set without issue tomorrow. Nothing different in that. 

Meanwhile. DiCaprio has said it, and one of the guys on Always Sunny has said it. Both were fine. 

You're confusing comedy with intentional use of the n word. In 73, Michael Richards could have gotten away with his tirade. He cant now, but the tirade wasnt comedy. A comic could get away with calling audience members faggots too. They cant now. Again, not part of the comedy.  If anything, anti-gay humor is more forbidden than anti-black humor. You couldn't get away with a Get Out where gay people are the ones being kidnapped.  Still, people can make whaever they want right now. Nothing is outlawed, but also nobody has to buy what you are selling. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

3 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Hes not a household name because stand up is mostly dead. And it's dead because there is far too much other shit to binge watch now.  Few people go watch it live and few people watch it on TV. And really, a super non-PC comic would probably get more traction than a clean one given our current way of consuming media. 

Ain't no money any more in starting it the way Rock, Murphy, Pryor, or Seinfeld did. 

I completely disagree that stand up is "mostly dead." I'm not sure what you're basing that on. It may not be what it once was, but the big name comedians still sell out shows, there are still HBO comedy specials watched by millions. It's still how many comedic actors get their start (see SNL).

However, if it is dying a slow death, I'm going to agree with the professionals (Seinfeld, Chris Rock, et al) regarding the causes. They should know.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Key and Peele are irrelevant to this discussion.  They are black and therefore have an automatic pass.  It's not controversial when they used the word.  

This sounds like you're upset that it's not OK for white people to use that word. Really?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

I completely disagree that stand up is "mostly dead." I'm not sure what you're basing that on. It may not be what it once was, but the big name comedians still sell out shows, there are still HBO comedy specials watched by millions. It's still how many comedic actors get their start (see SNL).

However, if it is dying a slow death, I'm going to agree with the professionals (Seinfeld, Chris Rock, et al) regarding the causes. They should know.

The same Rock and Seinfeld who have failed to reach audiences in the streaming era? I'll be sure to ask Barney Fife about how crime scene DNA is processed too.

Both drama and comedy are actually edgier than ever. Just not that many people consume comedy from stand up. The viral video is replacing it as an art form. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Never liked that scene. 

You gay, bro?  That scene's hilarious cause it was unexpected and out there.  Do any of the limpdicks on here get offended over the "Greg, is it supposed to be this soft?"  scene?   

I couldn't care less if today's audience doesn't find AH funny.  It's funny to me.  A young 20-something coworker of mine watched BS a couple of years ago and loved it but was amazed by its content and surprised that sort of stuff flew back in the 70s.  

Would Revenge of the Nerds be made today?  Bullying, sexual assault, homophobic, racist. 

6 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Motherfuckers are talking about Richard Pryor and how what he did wouldnt be okay now. What color was he?  For sure, a white dude couldn't have gotten on stage in 1973 and reeled off a Pryor set either. A black comic could go on stage and give a similar set without issue tomorrow. Nothing different in that. 

I didn't read every post.  The take that Richard Pryor couldn't do his own 1970s act today (were he alive) is idiotic.  He could do it and many other black comedians do similar every day.  Katt Williams uses the Nword more than Pryor.  That black comedians can still get away with using he N word is NOT proof that PC has not encroached on comedy - that's my point about Key and Peele.

Guys like Nick Dipaulo can't get booked in many places and clubs get boycotted for booking him.  He's not overtly racist but is quite right leaning.  PC absolutely affects comedy.  If you are saying that carefully done, similar material can still be done, I don't disagree with that, but it's a much more dangerous climate for a comedian these day with social medial and PC.  One wrong joke can end your career.  

11 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

This sounds like you're upset that it's not OK for white people to use that word. Really?

Lol, no, not really.  And I think you know that.  

Fondren is saying that Key and Peele doing racial material is proof that PC has no effect on comedy.  My point is that some comedians get away with things that others can't, in their case it's because they are black.  

Clear enough for ya?

Edited by Lhorn

It's all watered down today.

I remember one of my cousins telling me about the Pryor routines before I heard them myself. We weren't saturated with information. Everybody tuned in to SNL b/c you couldn't pull up a million similar things on youtube. There was the anticipation of getting the latest cassette/album and listening to it with your friends.