2018 Texas HS Football

Equinox

2 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Longview alone would sell out Homer Bryce today. They and Lufkin had 23,000 or so there years ago.

Here's a short video I took as fans were still lining up to get in a full 60 mins before the Longview vs Lufkin state quarter-final game at SFA last season.

The buzz around this Longview team is unlike anything I've seen in the 18ish years I've been living here. I'll be surprised if they bring fewer than 15 - 20K fans to the game.

Can't figure out how to get this to embed... https://streamable.com/3jpxo

8 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Crazy to remember this - La Marque finished 3rd in the district that year. Lamar Consolidated had Michael Lewis (best player I've ever played against) at QB and took second. La Marque had Roylin Bradley and Dwain Goynes that went to A&M. Texas City sent four kids (Tyrone Jones, Jermaine Anderson, Ervis Hill and Everick Rawls) to Texas after that season in Mack's transition class. Weirdly enough, the two best players on that Texas City team were the RB Adrian Daniels (grades I think) and a sophomore DT named Marcel Moses that was once committed to Texas but never made it to campus...damn, I officially an old. Also, Daniels went for over 400 total yards (I think like 330 of that rushing) in the state title game 

We knocked Lamar Consolidated out of the playoffs that year after they had knocked us out the year before.

40 minutes ago, Bigbend1812 said:

The games should be in the state capital.  

Does it have the length?

oh...and bitchass snowflakes cry about football being played outside...

Edited by slorch

38 minutes ago, slorch said:

Does it have the length?

oh...and bitchass snowflakes cry about football being played outside...

Been to a bunch of games I wished were indoors. Enjoyed the hell out of them when my team won or just a damn good game with no rooting interest. When you get old, bad weather hurts more.

Edited by EastTexan

On 12/16/2018 at 9:03 AM, hpslugga said:

IIRC that Manvel team was very senior-loaded. I’m sure there are guys from the roster on SC, but I can’t imagine any of the impact players are. That’s not at all to dismiss them as a team, but I just don’t see this as a “rematch.”

Shadow Creek played some varsity games in both 2016 and 2017 against some private schools and had some games against some other schools who I'm guessing had to shuffle their schedule because of Harvey or couldn't get a non-district game and played them on what would have been their bye week...http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/shadow-creek-sharks-(pearland,tx)/football-fall-17/schedule.htm

I'm not at all trying to dismiss their accomplishments this season but this is not their first year as a program or even having varsity games, just their first season with a full 4 classes and being placed by the UIL in a varsity district  

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Why do we have to do this every year?  

Because it's bullshit having it in DFW every year.  Period.

IDGAF about attendance either.  That's not the goal of high school athletics.

basically every swinging dick in here bitched about how bad the Big XII CCG sucked vs having Texas-OU in a stadium built for the college game.  I guess folks DGAF if it's right for high school or not.

Edited by slorch

Because it's bullshit having it in DFW every year.  Period.

IDGAF about attendance either.  That's not the goal of high school athletics.
Well it is now. Football in Texas is a huge deal at the high school level. So they are taking advantage and making money off it. Every state game now is on their own stage. Back in the day, you'd have half of them being played at Friday at 7pm. It's evolved since then.

I do like the setup of every game being televised on their own time slot. 4 full days of state games. I love that. I do agree that should rotate it though. Jerry World, Austin, San Antonio and Houston. Even have it at Baylor's new stadium in Waco. Not sure where else.

And I think this was the idea to rotate it but Houston was such a disaster attendance wise, they decided to move it back to Jerry World indefinitely.

But I don't think the attendance is going to be as good at the other venues as Jerry World is. DFW has a good amount of teams in state every year.

I think NS wins and gets at least one more in the next two years. they are stacked in '20 and '21. 

Most of D'Ville's talent is on the backend and skill positions. If Samples had some of his LB's from Skyline I'd feel better about their chances. 

Edited by Bruh Man

13 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

Most of D'Ville's talent is on the backend and skill positions.

They have one of the best defensive lines I’ve ever seen.  Their d-line against the NS o-line is going to be an awesome matchup.

I’m looking more forward to that game than all but about three of the bowl games.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

They have one of the best defensive lines I’ve ever seen.  Their d-line against the NS o-line is going to be an awesome matchup.

I’m looking more forward to that game than all but about three of the bowl games.

yeah, i have a feeling that game may be one of the all-time highest ratings draws for a high school game.

On 12/17/2018 at 10:43 AM, 4th&Five said:

I don’t know what it is about these moments, but they get me every time. Especially in football. It can be hard to wrap your mind around the fact that you’re never going to put the pads on and run out the tunnel with the same guys you’ve been playing with for most of your life.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 3

On 12/16/2018 at 10:03 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Longview alone would sell out Homer Bryce today. They and Lufkin had 23,000 or so there years ago.

I was at that game! I went to the Prosper game at the Star, and I think it was probably 70% Longview fans despite Prosper being next door. There might be 25K Longview fans there this weekend - it's close, there are thousands of alumni in Dallas, and this team feels special. We've been the bridesmaid so many years, everyone is ready to finally do it. As I have posted, I think Longview clearly is the best program in the state to have never one it all (since WW2 :) ). I'll be there ... my parents have had season tickets since the 60s.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

Except it isn't. You and the rest of you who bitch about this already knew that. 

Because you said so, it is not fucked up?

whatever dude. 

There should be no home field advantage. 

Sellout. 

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

Because you said so, it is not fucked up?

It actually has jack shit to do with what I think.

There should be no home field advantage. 

Well it wouldn’t be near as much of a home field advantage for those other major metro areas to host because their teams don’t qualify for the state finals near as often as DFW has in the past 20 years.

And you can pretend that attendance isn’t a  major factor, but far away from The Land of Make Believe and Pretend, it is. And I don’t think you’re totally delusional, so that’s why I say that you already knew that.

Edited by hpslugga

14 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

It actually has jack shit to do with what I think.

Well it wouldn’t be near as much of a home field advantage for those other major metro areas to host because their teams don’t qualify for the state finals near as often as DFW has in the past 20 years.

And you can pretend that attendance isn’t a  major factor, but far away from The Land of Make Believe and Pretend, it is. And I don’t think you’re totally delusional, so that’s why I say that you already knew that.

What does any of that have to do with what is fair?

53 minutes ago, WBT said:

What does any of that have to do with what is fair?

Who said that “fair,” which in itself is a very convenient term for those who use it, was even a consideration? Hell that wasn’t even a consideration in the pre-2009 system

Edited by hpslugga

8 hours ago, cmontexas said:

For the rest of their lives those kids from Follett or Strawn are gonna see the Dallas Cowboys play on TV and tell their kids and their nephews and their grandkids that they played football on that field. His entire family will have the game saved on DVR for years and years

Hahahaha... Jerry will get the taxpayers to build him a new stadium within 20 years.

8 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

No way there should be a state championship game on Weds at 11am.

Because?

8 hours ago, futureman said:

were the semifinals on saturday?

Their semifinals were played on the December 6-8 weekend. They were essentially given a bye before the final. It's a non-issue.

I should have added, even if this playing on Wednesday morning thing was as great of a crime as @Mac8111 is portraying it, there's a very simple solution and you don't even have to take it out of the Jerry/Cowboys/DFW system:

Play the 1A, 2A and 3A games at the Star in Frisco on Friday and Saturday with the same timing schedule (11/3/7 triple-headers), and keep the 4A, 5A, and 6A games at the Death Star in Arlington on the same days at the same hours. Those 3A and below games would be well served by the 12,000-seat venue in Frisco (in fact, those 2 3A games last year would have sold out the Star with barely any overflow). 

But sure, go ahead and tell me that I'm wrong. Go ahead and explain to me that it would make sense, for example, to force a 6A State Title game between an El Paso team and a Houston team to be played in fucking Sonora because that's the proper geographic midpoint. 

Edited by hpslugga

On 12/17/2018 at 4:46 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Well it is now. Football in Texas is a huge deal at the high school level. So they are taking advantage and making money off it. Every state game now is on their own stage. Back in the day, you'd have half of them being played at Friday at 7pm. It's evolved since then.

I do like the setup of every game being televised on their own time slot. 4 full days of state games. I love that. I do agree that should rotate it though. Jerry World, Austin, San Antonio and Houston. Even have it at Baylor's new stadium in Waco. Not sure where else.

And I think this was the idea to rotate it but Houston was such a disaster attendance wise, they decided to move it back to Jerry World indefinitely.

But I don't think the attendance is going to be as good at the other venues as Jerry World is. DFW has a good amount of teams in state every year.

The games were in Houston in 2015  and  part of the problem with the lower attendance was the DFW superpower schools had a rare off year playoff wise.  And the ones who did make it were newer schools with not a huge fan base.

6A Division I - Galena Park North Shore 21, Austin Westlake 14 OT
6A Division II - Katy 34, Austin Lake Travis 7
5A Division I - Richmond George Ranch 56, Mansfield Lake Ridge 0
5A Division II - Cedar Park 22, Frisco Lone Star 6
4A Division I - Waco La Vega 33, Argyle 31
4A Division II - West Orange-Stark 22, Celina 3
3A Division I - Brock 43, Cameron Yoe 33
3A Division II - Waskom 33, Franklin 21
2A Division I - Canadian 61, Refugio 20
2A Division II - Bremond 35, Albany 20
1A Division I - Abbott 40, Crowell 30
1A Division II - Richland Springs 72, Follett 26

There is no Allen, Aledo, Cedar Hill or DeSoto above which drove attendance in prior or subsequent years.  

18 minutes ago, futureman said:

6A title game?  el paso team?  

I know it’s a ludicrous notion, but that’s kinda the point. When you look back 20 years, DFW is the only constant of the whole thing. When Lake Travis or Westlake don’t make the final, Austin sends no one. When Katy or just a couple others don’t make the final, Houston sends next to no one. And if a meteor doesn’t hit the stadium when Austin and Houston play against each other, San Antonio sends no one. So why are we even talking about the state championships outside of the context of “at minimum, half of the 6A and 5A games will have DFW teams?”

That's precisely why the UIL doesn't consider anything else:

1. It's fucking stupid for higher classification teams like HP and Denton Ryan to play in ho dunk shit little shoebox stadiums like Tyler's in state championship rounds (that year was a major factor when the UIL was deliberating this)

2. There already was a well-established imbalance in distributions between the major areas both in terms of titles and appearances that overwhelmingly favored DFW when this was being deliberated

3. When the Houston area got its first chance to do the same thing, they pissed down their leg and embarrassed themselves even though they and areas close to it had a strong presence in those games.

4. Austin? Again, stop it. Without LT and WL they have no one to speak of.

5. San Antonio? Ha. Right, one year of Converse Judson, one with freaking Cibolo Steele and one with HP South...er Alamo Heights, and they're supposed to be in the rotation?

Oh right "fairness."

Edited by hpslugga

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The games were in Houston in 2015  and  part of the problem with the lower attendance was the DFW superpower schools had a rare off year playoff wise.  And the ones who did make it were newer schools with not a huge fan base.

6A Division I - Galena Park North Shore 21, Austin Westlake 14 OT
6A Division II - Katy 34, Austin Lake Travis 7
5A Division I - Richmond George Ranch 56, Mansfield Lake Ridge 0
5A Division II - Cedar Park 22, Frisco Lone Star 6
4A Division I - Waco La Vega 33, Argyle 31
4A Division II - West Orange-Stark 22, Celina 3
3A Division I - Brock 43, Cameron Yoe 33
3A Division II - Waskom 33, Franklin 21
2A Division I - Canadian 61, Refugio 20
2A Division II - Bremond 35, Albany 20
1A Division I - Abbott 40, Crowell 30
1A Division II - Richland Springs 72, Follett 26

There is no Allen, Aledo, Cedar Hill or DeSoto above which drove attendance in prior or subsequent years.  

So you needed DFW schools to drive up attendance in Houston? Both 6a games had Houston area superpowers in them, that should've been more important since the games were in Houston. 

30 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

So you needed DFW schools to drive up attendance in Houston? Both 6a games had Houston area superpowers in them, that should've been more important since the games were in Houston. 

It's been my observation,  the Greater  Houston  area is a tad more limited in their support of high school football vs the DFW area.   It's more along the lines, peeps will support their own school, but could give two chits about others and to the point they won't show up to just watch another area school play.  

It would have been interesting to see what the attendance would have been at Jerryworld  with the same matchups.   I think it would have been down, but how much I don't know?

4 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

It's been my observation,  the Greater  Houston  area is a tad more limited in their support of high school football vs the DFW area.   It's more along the lines, peeps will support their own school, but could give two chits about others and to the point they won't show up to just watch another area school play.  

That's been my experience as well, and its why the games aren't leaving Jerryworld anytime soon. DFW brings in way more general fans who just want to see good football.