2018 Texas HS Football

Equinox

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Funny how they moved up to 6A where they belong and got their ass whipped then fudged the numbers to move back down to beat up on 5A teams. They are not a true 5A team any longer but they feel safe there because they will be exposed in the classification they belong. They know how to play the system.

I'm no HP apologist and I generally agree with basically all of your posts, but they did win 10 games both years in 6A. Granted their district wasn't brutal(Richardson schools and Mesquite ISD), but it wasn't like they were playing with Molina, Sunset and Samuel.

Also believe they move around the numbers accordingly. 

57 minutes ago, MyWifeIsBi.....Polar said:

I'm no HP apologist and I generally agree with basically all of your posts, but they did win 10 games both years in 6A. Granted their district wasn't brutal(Richardson schools and Mesquite ISD), but it wasn't like they were playing with Molina, Sunset and Samuel.

Also believe they move around the numbers accordingly. 

The joke when I was still covering HS sports in the late 90's was that the 5A/4A cutoff was always "Highland Park's enrollment + 6."

You're right -- HP was competitive the one cycle it spent in the highest classification. They've won three in a row but it's not like they've absolutely owned 4A/5A. The first title since the 50's was when Matt Stafford led the Scots to the 2005 title. Then they didn't win another one until 2016. There's probably only one or two kids there that will play legit college football. Two of the best players on last year's champ are playing big-time collegiate lacrosse. Shadow Creek had better athletes but HP's system is impressive. These kids start learning the offensive and other schemes in fifth grade.

Edited by C-Man

23 minutes ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

I’m just not blown away by these teams, but glad they’re having fun. 

Allen is a giant high school that only has one high school in a city of over 100k. And in Division 1. And they recruit and get transfers. Of course they would beat these 2 teams. That should not be a slight to these 2 teams, though just because they can't beat a juggernaut like Allen. And did you see Allen's defense last week? It was shitty.

Just to clarify some misconceptions about some issues here:

The headsets some are joking about are issued by Jerry World,  every team uses them instead of their own in that stadium. 

Shadow Creek played limited varsity seasons in both 2016 and 2017. Look it up on maxpreps if you want.

Texas City and La Marque both won state in 97 in 4a out of the same district. 

The long standing joke about enrollment is that the cutoff the largest division is Highland Park's number +20.

That clown Ken Purcell on the pre and post game broadcasts that tbey keep saying has 12 rings never won a state championship ring as a head coach. Most came when he was Denton ISD athletic director, and include water polo and other sports ss well. He got fired from Allen in mid 90s after winning 8 games in 4 years. 

Edited by Dennis Taylor

7 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Just to clarify some misconceptions about some issues here:

The headsets some are joking about are issued by Jerry World,  every team uses them instead of their own in that stadium. 

Shadow Creek played limited varsity seasons in both 2016 and 2017. Look it up on maxpreps if you want.

Texas City and La Marque both won state in 97 in 4a out of the same district. 

The long standing joke about enrollment is that the cutoff the largest division is Highland Park's number +20.

That clown Ken Purcell on the pre and post game broafcasts never won a state championship ring as a head coach. He got fired from Allen in mid 90s after winning 8 games in 4 years. 

This is not correct.

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Yea when there was the discussion about hated teams (Allen, SLC, etc) HP should have easily been thrown into the mix.  

you hate us cuz you ain’t us. 

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

They've won three in a row but it's not like they've absolutely owned 4A/5A. The first title since the 50's was when Matt Stafford led the Scots to the 2005 title. Then they didn't win another one until 2016. There's probably only one or two kids there that will play legit college football. Two of the best players on last year's champ are playing big-time collegiate lacrosse. Shadow Creek had better athletes but HP's system is impressive. These kids start learning the offensive and other schemes in fifth grade.

everyone has better athletes than HP and everyone knows it.  still can’t beat them. 

2 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Easier said than done

This should have been preached to them. It's coaching. Once that player gets the 1st down, let them score. It's the only way to stay in the game. I get your instincts as a defender is to stop the player but that's why it goes back to coaching.

Anyways, congrats to Longview. First title since 1937. I know they will be happy. They take their football very serious in those parts of the state.

3 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

How so... Non- renewed? Reassigned? Six of one half dozen of the other. I was off on the win total- it was 12. You think they liked winning 12 games in 4 years? 

They won 12 playoff games in 2016/2017

Win total was wrong, which is especially egregious because you announced that you were "here to clarify some misconceptions about some issues."

I don't know if they liked winning 12 in 4 years, but they weren't worth a shit until he got there, and they didn't have big success until 10 years after he left, so it's not like he was Gary Gibbs fucking up OU.  

4 hours ago, futureman said:

will it bother y’all when HP wins six in a row?  morris will win #4 next year and then preston stone will come back to HPISD after two years at parish episcopal to win #5 and 6.  

can’t wait. 

I’ll take it.  Not sure it quite pencils out but we’ll figure something out.

Go Scots!