CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

perfect place for Gary.  he can say to recruits "have you seen my statue at TCU and my list of NFL players" and cash shitbag's checks while writing his magnum opus Exile on Elgin Street over the next 5 years.

"Magnum Opus"

image.png.b46164d50ba8b97b7f642a8858d31e2a.png

Does resemble Gare a little...  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BYU making offensive staff changes

Sources tell FootballScoop the Cougars are shaking up the offensive side

JOHN BRICE        6 HOURS AGO

BYU just finished up a disappointing 5-7 season, its first as a Big 12 member, and head coach Kilani Sitake is going to shake up things on the offensive side of the ball, sources tell FootballScoop.

Per sources, the Cougars are parting with offensive line coach Darrell Funk and tight ends coach Steve Clark.

BYU led Oklahoma State early before it closed out of bowl eligibility with the late loss, a rare dip for the program under Sitake.

Funk had been at BYU since 2021 and has been in coaching since 1987.

Clark, a BYU grad, had been with the program since 2016.

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

BYU just finished up a disappointing 5-7 season, its first as a Big 12 member, and head coach Kilani Sitake is going to shake up things on the offensive side of the ball, sources tell FootballScoop.

Per sources, the Cougars are parting with offensive line coach Darrell Funk and tight ends coach Steve Clark.

BYU led Oklahoma State early before it closed out of bowl eligibility with the late loss, a rare dip for the program under Sitake.

My Mormon pals mostly think Sitake is a likeable moron who isn't good enough at recruiting to cover up for his lack of mental horsepower.

10 hours ago, TexasFan21 said:

Corey Raymond out at Florida.

Florida reportedly parts ways with two defensive assistants

Napier is reportedly moving on from two senior defensive staffers who came to The Swamp with impressive resumes.

DOUG SAMUELS      11 HOURS AGO

After a disappointing 5-7 season, head coach Billy Napier has started to make some changes to the staff.

The Orlando Sentinel reports tonight that assistant head coach / secondary coach Corey Raymond and co-defensive coordinator / defensive line coach Sean Spencer have been let go.

Both men were in their second season with the Gators.

Raymond joined the staff after he a successful ten-year stint working with in the defensive backfield for LSU, where he helped to deevelop seven first-team All-Americans and 16 NFL Draft picks, including four first-rounders. 

Before coming to Florida, Spencer spent two seasons in the NFL with the New York Giants as their defensive line coach, and spent six seasons mentoring the defensive line at Penn State prior to that. His last two seasons in Happy Valley he held the associate head coach / run game coordinator title.

The Florida defense finished the season ranked 81st in scoring defense - which was well behind in-state counterparts Florida State, Miami, UCF and FAU.

• Hook 'Em 1

Syracuse is targeting Georgia defensive assistant Fran Brown for its head-coaching vacancy, sources told ESPN on Monday night, confirming a report.

Brown, 41, has coached Georgia's defensive backs the past two seasons after holding similar roles at Rutgers, Temple and Baylor. The New Jersey native has extensive ties to the Northeast and has recruited the region throughout his career. Brown, who twice served as a Temple assistant, was a top candidate for the school's head-coaching vacancy in late 2021. Georgia is set to face Alabama on Saturday in the SEC championship game.

Syracuse fired Dino Babers on Nov. 19 after eight seasons with the school. Tight ends coach Nunzio Campanile is serving as the team's interim coach for its upcoming bowl appearance.

The school has considered several candidates with head-coaching or coordinator experience, including current head coaches Bob Chesney (Holy Cross) and Jason Candle (Toledo), and Nebraska defensive coordinator Tony White, according to sources.

The Athletic first reported Brown as the top target for Syracuse.

15 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

A line coach and TE coach...

That'll fix everything.

Sarcastic Yeah Right GIF by MOODMAN

Having good players might be the most important part of the job. Recruiting IS part of the job of being a college CB coach. I don't think your argument holds much water. I stand by what I said and am guessing a ton of people will agree.

Congrats.

Development also matters. Go watch their play. It wasn’t good.

51 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Having good players might be the most important part of the job. Recruiting IS part of the job of being a college CB coach. I don't think your argument holds much water. I stand by what I said and am guessing a ton of people will agree.

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

Yep, they have a shit roster. Bad players=bad play. Raymond was one of two sacrificial lambs for their shitty head coach.

Soooo it sounds like Raymond might have sucked

1 hour ago, nycHorn said:

Recruiter. Not so much coach.

53 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

3 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Yep, they have a shit roster. Bad players=bad play. Raymond was one of two sacrificial lambs for their shitty head coach.

Brian-regan GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 1

The burden of proof is on you in this instance. He was just fired for performance. He wasn't retained at LSU when Kelly was looking for help in the transition. His charges at UF, a typical DB powerhouse, looked like shit the last two years. Why do the rest of us need to believe that he's "the best CB coach in the land"?

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The burden of proof is on you in this instance. He was just fired for performance. He wasn't retained at LSU when Kelly was looking for help in the transition. His charges at UF, a typical DB powerhouse, looked like shit the last two years. Why do the rest of us need to believe that he's "the best CB coach in the land"?

Well, I guess he sucks now. Whatever you say sir. I guess their head coach couldn't overcome their CB coaches' ineptitude.

1 hour ago, Longhornlove said:

Raymond was tasked with recruiting good players. It's the most important part of the job according to you

18 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

According to YOU. He didn't recruit good players

Shouldn't he be held responsible for that?

14 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Well, I guess he sucks now. Whatever you say sir. I guess their head coach couldn't overcome their CB coaches' ineptitude.

I didn't say he sucked. I just said that if you're going to insist that he's one of the best in all of the land, you've got to present some sort of fact set that the rest of us can respond to in order for you to receive buy-in. So, yeah, there's still time for you to do that.

You state his ability to recruit makes him the best CB coach in the country. Presumably, talent would want to play for such a legend. But then you also claim Florida's roster is shit, so presumably he is not attracting talent. Well, maybe he hasn't had enough time so lets check in on how DB recruiting is going this year...

https://247sports.com/Season/2024-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&Position=CB

Legendary. 

Edited by Blotto

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Raymond was tasked with recruiting good players. It's the most important part of the job according to you

According to YOU. He didn't recruit good players

Shouldn't he be held responsible for that?

Can you comprehend that this was only his second season with Florida, meaning he has exactly one(1) recruiting class he was responsible for.........Those would be true freshmen. Plus, you are twisting what I said into something I didn't say. Anyone can go and see specifically what I said. There is a reason you didn't quote me, not sure what your issue is with me but whatever.

What? Anytime CTJ jumps on someone, you follow? Dig a little deeper next time.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I didn't say he sucked. I just said that if you're going to insist that he's one of the best in all of the land, you've got to present some sort of fact set that the rest of us can respond to in order for you to receive buy-in. So, yeah, there's still time for you to do that.

I didn't "insist" on anything.

"Is he not one of if not the best CB coach in the land?"

Is that a question mark at the end? I think it is. Having said that, many might presume then pose the same question when programs like Texas, LSU, Florida and the like attempt to hire said coach for their programs, or do all those shiny big money programs look to hire middle of the road coaches?

Do I personally think he is "the best"? No but I don't have the knowledge to say he is or isn't. I follow Texas closely because I'm a fanatic. I get interested in other coaches when their names get thrown around when we have an opening. He has been mentioned as you are well aware of.

Is Kyle Flood one of, if not the best OL coaches in college football? It looks like it, but WTF do I know, I'm a 190 pound middle aged white dude who played football for 2 years. You get my point?

I didn't "insist" on anything.

"Is he not one of if not the best CB coach in the land?"

Is that a question mark at the end? I think it is. Having said that, many might presume then pose the same question when programs like Texas, LSU, Florida and the like attempt to hire said coach for their programs, or do all those shiny big money programs look to hire middle of the road coaches?

Do I personally think he is "the best"? No but I don't have the knowledge to say he is or isn't. I follow Texas closely because I'm a fanatic. I get interested in other coaches when their names get thrown around when we have an opening. He has been mentioned as you are well aware of.

Is Kyle Flood one of, if not the best OL coaches in college football? It looks like it, but WTF do I know, I'm a 190 pound middle aged white dude who played football for 2 years. You get my point?

No, I don't think I get your point, but I'm also not going to put a ton of effort into "getting it" either. 

Regarding the hairsplitting on "insisting", you've got like 10-15 posts on the last two pages arguing in favor of Raymond as an elite coach. You haven't supported your insistence with any real facts besides the fact that he's coached at some quality programs for DBs, but you've certainly been insisting. Arguing otherwise is disingenuous.

Here's some help:

How many draft picks has Raymond produced? How many top national defenses has Raymond been on staff for over the years? How many All American or All Conference players has he produced? These are somewhat objective ways to defend a position arguing that the guy is a high quality CB coach. 

I don't know those answers, btw. I haven't bothered to look it up. I'm not even convicted that the guy isn't elite. I just know that his recent output hasn't been terrific, and that has to be a part of the conversation. You're twisting yourself into a knot here of your own design. It's bizarre. If you think he's worthy of being viewed as elite, support the position. Why is that difficult to grasp?

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

You are sometimes an insufferable asshole. Anyone tell you that lately?

I can't insist on something I don't have the knowledge of to determine. I can, and some would say, presumed he is an elite CB coach. All the guys below were recruited and coached by Corey Raymond. Is that elite, I have no fucking clue. It must be nice to have 4 NFL corners on the same team though. You have to go back to 2010, 2011 classes to find 4 DBs drafted in consecutive rounds from Texas. Earl Thomas, Curtis Brown, Chykie Brown and Aaron Williams.

LSU has had 17 DBs drafted since the 2013 Draft, 3 in the first round. You want more info, go dig that shit up yourself. There is sufficient evidence supporting the fact that Cory Raymond is a pretty damn good coach. Much more evidence than Billy Napier has to support him being a good head coach.

image.thumb.png.9fe08e3b6d876afd6a26c5bca57e9380.png

image.thumb.png.e6d9c5529463c9d9a16a82d67958d1ca.png

image.thumb.png.a17a55da347db94b96848b48a03dd246.png

image.png

Edited by Longhornlove

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding the hairsplitting on "insisting", you've got like 10-15 posts on the last two pages arguing in favor of Raymond as an elite coach.

Actually it was 5, I went back and counted just to prove you wrong. If you count all posts, it was still less that 10. Context matters.

• Haha 1