CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

3 hours ago, tvko23 said:

The Athletic's Houston writeup lists Jeff Banks as a name to watch. No thanks.

Hide contents

Texas State head coach G.J. Kinne has had a quick rise. The 34-year-old, who played for Traylor in high school, is 18-7 as a head coach. He went 12-2 at Incarnate Word in San Antonio last year and is taking Texas State to its first bowl game this year. He’s a smart offensive mind who successfully navigated the transfer portal to rebuild Texas State’s roster in one year. How would he fare at a Texas job that has the bells and whistles?

See, it can be done. You just have to keep the correct receipts.

Crazy rumor time:

Texting with my friend from Florida last night during the UF / FSU game. As we’re discussing the games of the day he reminds me that his best friend is good friends with Urban.  Says that OSU BMD’s have intimated that they’d pay 15MM / yr for Urbs to come back and save them. 😳🤣

No idea if there’s anything to it but the source definitely has the right access. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Constant said:

Lebby to Mississippi State is official. The slowest slot receiver they have better start learning the jet sweep.  

His beer gut means he already fits in with 85% of the Starkville male population

52 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Maybe Duke will try to hire Willie Fritz ???  He's obviously familiar with coaching at a high academic football program.  

Or Curt Cignetti ???

Or maybe they just try to keep their current OC at Duke (Kevin Johns)

Cignetti is a popular name in Durham, and he already coached at Elon

Mississippi State hires Jeff Lebby as next coach

Pete Thamel,  ESPN    Nov 26, 2023

Oklahoma offensive coordinator Jeff Lebby will be the new coach at Mississippi State, the school announced on Sunday.

Lebby has been the offensive coordinator at OU, Ole Miss and UCF, with high-tempo and prolific offenses his hallmark. Since 2019, he's been coordinator of an offense that's scored 50 or more points 14 times, leading all active offensive coordinators.

Lebby agreed to a five-year deal, according to ESPN sources. He replaces Zach Arnett, who lasted less than a full year as MSU's coach. Arnett was hired in the wake of the passing of Mike Leach.

"I am confident that Jeff is the perfect leader for the next exciting chapter of Mississippi State football," athletic director Zac Selmon said in a statement. "He will bring an exciting brand of football, elite student-athlete development, and a winning culture to Starkville, all while doing so with high integrity."

He'll be the fifth full-time head coach at Mississippi State since Dan Mullen left for Florida after the 2017 season. The school broke a 13-year bowl streak this year, as Mullen re-set the expectations of the program by pushing them to a No. 1 ranking in 2014.

Lebby worked at Baylor from 2008 to 2016, and he's brought tenets from Art Briles' offense with him throughout his career. He's also worked for Josh Heupel and Lane Kiffin, two of the more prolific offensive minds in the recent generation.

Oklahoma's offense in 2023 is in the Top 6 nationally in total offense, scoring offense and passing offense. Mississippi State is one of the hardest jobs in the SEC, and success there is often tied to playing a different style because it's hard to go toe-to-toe with schools like Alabama, LSU and Texas A&M.

"Being the head coach at Mississippi State is the opportunity of a lifetime," Lebby said. "My family and I are fired up to engrain ourselves in this community, build relationships with our players, and hit the recruiting trail. This is a special place with special people and a football program with a storied tradition."

Tracker that will be updated constantly in following link.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38890311/college-football-coaching-tracker-firings-hirings-latest-news

Jump to a vacancy:
Houston | Indiana
Oregon State | Syracuse

UTEP | New Mexico
San Diego State | Boise State

Notable coordinators

Filled jobs

Edited by LTtxfan
Aggy/Miss State moved to filled jobs

2 hours ago, orangebird said:

Terry Bowden out at Louisiana-Monroe:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38985538/terry-bowden-louisiana-monroe-football-coach

I had forgotten that he was actually still coaching somewhere.  He coached at Auburn back in the 90s.

Perhaps he also forgot he was coaching?  I thought he was on TV or something.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/25/2023 at 2:25 PM, Mittens said:

Under the shadow of big brother for sure, but nowhere close to the Oregon State of the B1G.  Massive upgrade for him.

image.png.b00f808a9a07b674924a162df4fad6c0.png

Nobody cares about facts when they are making their point. That being said State has a long way to go to get back to Dantonio level, and you have to go back to the 1960's to get the previous time they were a national power

11 minutes ago, Pdawg88 said:

A couple of the OU boards are saying that we have reached out to Brennan Marion. I read he use to coach at Texas. What are you boys general thoughts on him? 

He's good but want's to be a head coach. I wouldn't expect him to last long as an OC even at OU.

25 minutes ago, Pdawg88 said:

A couple of the OU boards are saying that we have reached out to Brennan Marion. I read he use to coach at Texas. What are you boys general thoughts on him? 

He’s interviewed for the San Diego State opening from what I’m seeing. Not real interested in a one-and-done type guy. This hire needs to see Arnolds entire career. 

Shit, this is the big one. 

Middle Tennessee fired longtime coach Rick Stockstill on Monday following the team's third losing season in the past five years.

Stockstill had led Middle Tennessee since December 2005 and was 113-111 in 18 seasons with the program, but the Blue Raiders went 4-8 in 2023.

Stockstill. 65. had been the fourth-longest-tenured active coach in the FBS, behind Iowa's Kirk Ferentz, Utah's Kyle Whittingham and Oklahoma State's Mike Gundy.

"This is one of the most difficult days in my tenure, but one I feel is necessary in our aspiration to compete and win championships," Middle Tennessee athletic director Chris Massaro said in a statement. "I appreciate everything Rick, his wife Sara, and their family have done the last 18 years for MTSU Athletics, our football program, and, more importantly, our student-athletes. Because of his leadership, our student-athletes have performed at a high level in the classroom, have dedicated time and energy to supporting our community and have given us countless hours of dedication to being successful on the football field.

"I want to thank Coach Stockstill for his professionalism, character and dedication, and wish him well in his future endeavors."

Stockstill's contract had run through the 2029 season, and he is owed a buyout of approximately $5 million.

A former Florida State quarterback and team captain under Hall of Fame coach Bobby Bowden, Stockstill led Middle Tennessee to a Sun Belt championship in his first season in 2006, a Conference USA East Division title in 2018 and 10 bowl appearances (4-6 record), including wins in the Hawai'i Bowl in 2022 and the Bahamas Bowl in 2021. He twice earned Sun Belt Coach of the Year honors and was the Conference USA Coach of the Year in 2018.

Stockstill had been an assistant at South Carolina, East Carolina and Clemson before taking the Middle Tennessee job.