CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this guy is gonna work out...

Video: Biff Poggi wasn't impressed at AAC media day

Poggi had a hearty slap for the podium before he exited the stage with a chip on his shoulder.

DOUG SAMUELS   3 HOURS AGO

Biff Poggi's first season as the new head coach at Charlotte has been an eventful one.

After hiring one of the most impressive new staffs of 2023 (#10 on our list to be exact), Poggi didn't mince words on local radio about needing donors in and around Charlotte to step up and support the program.

At AAC Media Days today, after finding out his 49ers were picked to finish last in their new league, Poggi again wasn't afraid to share his full, unfiltered thoughts.

After being asked just three questions in his inaugural media day appearance, Poggi called out the media in attendance after silence fell on the room when the emcee asked if there were any other questions.

"That's it? Three questions?"

"Maybe that's because you have us ranked last, and that's all what you think of us."

"We get that message. Thank you," Poggi added before slapping the podium and exiting the stage with the chip on his shoulder in full view of all watching.

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure if this guy is gonna work out...

Video: Biff Poggi wasn't impressed at AAC media day

Poggi had a hearty slap for the podium before he exited the stage with a chip on his shoulder.

DOUG SAMUELS   3 HOURS AGO

Biff Poggi's first season as the new head coach at Charlotte has been an eventful one.

After hiring one of the most impressive new staffs of 2023 (#10 on our list to be exact), Poggi didn't mince words on local radio about needing donors in and around Charlotte to step up and support the program.

At AAC Media Days today, after finding out his 49ers were picked to finish last in their new league, Poggi again wasn't afraid to share his full, unfiltered thoughts.

After being asked just three questions in his inaugural media day appearance, Poggi called out the media in attendance after silence fell on the room when the emcee asked if there were any other questions.

"That's it? Three questions?"

"Maybe that's because you have us ranked last, and that's all what you think of us."

"We get that message. Thank you," Poggi added before slapping the podium and exiting the stage with the chip on his shoulder in full view of all watching.

They hired a guy named "Biff". I'm not sure what anyone expected.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Whose hot seat is hot enough to get him fired in September with a(nother) horrible start?

• Neal Brown might be "dead man walking"
  • Maybe Jimbo
  • Eliah Drinkwitz, Missouri
  • Some think Dana Holgorsen, Houston
  • Mel Tucker
  • Dino Babers

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-coaches-on-the-hot-seat-for-2023

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/20-college-football-coaches-who-are-on-the-hot-seat/ss-AA1ek5di#image=7

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football-picks/college-football-coaches-hot-seat-2023-season

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

• Neal Brown might be "dead man walking"
  • Maybe Jimbo
  • Eliah Drinkwitz, Missouri
  • Some think Dana Holgorsen, Houston
  • Mel Tucker
  • Dino Babers

Yeah, Brown looks most likely. Jimbo and Tucker prolly got too bigga buy-outs, but they could have accidents.

The 15 most impactful assistant coaching hires of 2023 -- No. 15: Bryan Nardo, Oklahoma State

Screenshot_20230803-213340_kindlephoto-11852927.thumb.png.d4eb4414d0645ffcfb18904e3ea7704a.png

Plenty of big-time head coaches talk about the quality of coaches at the lower divisions. Mike Gundy actually goes out and hires them.

Who: Bryan Nardo, Oklahoma State

Title: Defensive coordinator

Previous stop: Gannon University defensive coordinator (2022)

Why he's important: I can't count the number of Power 5 head coaches get on stage at a convention or clinic and testify that the level of ball one coaches is not necessarily reflective of one's coaching ability, that there are Power 5-level coaches out there doing the work in the lower divisions and in high school ball.

Only one has the stones to actually go out and hire one.

After plucking Mike Yurcich from Shippensburg University to coordinate Oklahoma State's offense in 2013, a decade later Mike Gundy again hired the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference's finest. 

At Big 12 media days, Gundy explained the process that led him to Bryan Nardo. Since it's Mike Gundy, I thought it best to reproduce the story in full. 

I hired Jim Knowles with Duke. He wasn't a fan favorite at that time. People were like, 'Who's Jim Knowles? What's Duke?' He fit what I was looking for at that time in an event front and had success at Duke when I felt like at times he might not have had the same talent that other teams had. I liked that. 

Then I had (Derek) Mason come in. Highly intelligent. Players really liked him. Good motivator. Been in the pro level. He kind of got tired of a little bit. He came in after the season and said, 'Coach I love it here, I enjoy you, I need a break.' 

So I (rolls eyes and head at the same time). We went back out and ended up with Coach Nardo from Gannon University.

I wanted to implement some odd front. You can't bring in a traditional coach and run the system you were in, because he doesn't know the system. The guys who coached you knew the system. I had a really good staff that knew the even front. Nobody knew the odd front. So I couldn't say, 'I want to run some odd front, you guys coach it.' They didn't really know it. So I had to go find an odd front guy. 

I looked at every level. I went from the pro level, college level, high school level, juco level. There weren't a lot of guys that really knew the pure odd front. Brought Bryan in on the last interview. I didn't really know where he had come from, couldn't find video on his team. Flew in, picked him up, six hours later during the interview I said, 'This is the best coach.' I don't care where he came from. In my opinion, he's the best coach. 

I asked my staff: 'You guys were in the interview with me. What do you think?' One guy said, 'How will he get in front of the team?' Another guy: 'I just worry about his relationship with the players.' I said, 'I'll get in front of the team. He doesn't need to get in front of the team, he just needs to coach defense.' Then we get him in here and he's fantastic in front of the team, got great people skills. 

So it worked out good.

The 3-down defense has taken over the Big 12 in the same way the Air Raid did 20 years ago, and so Gundy didn't want a coordinator implementing someone else's ideas -- particularly because the new coordinator will have to teach them not only to the players, but to the staff. Co-defensive coordinator/linebackers coach Joe Bob Clements, pass game coordinator/corners coach Tim Duffie, safeties coach Dan Hammerschmidt, and defensive line coach Greg Richmond have 38 years combined experience at Oklahoma State.

Nardo has been in coaching since 2008, a 3-year GA stint at Ohio that, until now, represented his only coaching experience at the FBS level. He coordinated the defense at Division II Emporia State from 2012-19, then climbed to the FCS level as Youngstown State's linebackers coach in 2020. He was let go after the 2021 season.

Nardo called that a "dark time," but really it was a necessary step backward in order to take an enormous leap forward.

“The biggest thing was it got me back to being a coordinator,” Nardo said of leaving Youngstown and landing the coordinator job at D2 Gannon University. “It got me back to running my defense and being able to have a voice again and impacting kids. That was the biggest transition, was to get me back to believing in myself and believing what we could do.”

In one season, Nardo chopped more than 100 yards and a touchdown off the Golden Knights' per-game averages in his one season in [checks Google] Erie, Pa. Gannon went from 101st in pass efficiency defense and 95th in rushing to 50th and 30th, respectively. Along the way, Gannon's record improved from 5-6 to 8-3. 

Over the course of that 6-hour interview, Gundy said, Nardo was most impressive with his questions, not necessarily his answers.

“I couldn’t stump him,” Gundy said in a podcast interview last month. “Very confident in his approach and his delivery in his interview. I would put stuff up on a board that I knew was kind of unrealistic. I said, ‘Well, we’ve seen this before. What are you gonna do?’ He says, ‘Well, I’d have to study that. How good is the quarterback? How skilled are they on the perimeter? I gotta take that away first, then I’ll do this.’

“But it wasn’t just like he said, ‘I got the answer.’ I’ll tell you what I liked about him, he said, ‘I’m not sure, but I’ll figure it out.’ … Stuff I was putting on the board for him, there really wasn’t an answer. I just wanted to see what he would say. And he’d say, ‘Well, can the quarterback run? OK, well than that’s an issue. Can he not run? Then I’m not worried about that, I can do this.'”

A 3-down front will allow Oklahoma State to take advantage of the type of athletes that are plentiful in Big 12 country.

"Defensively now, most teams are going more athletic second-level players because of all the RPOs," Gundy said at Big 12 media days. "Not just us, everybody in the country. We had a couple guys that I call tweeners, they're not real rush ends but they're not backers. They can play that tweener position. And that allowed us to make a pretty smooth transition this spring. So I think we'll be fine there."

Oklahoma State enters this season with modest expectations, picked seventh among the Big 12's 14 teams. Gundy is in makeover-mode on both sides of the ball; in addition to the change on defense, Oklahoma State will go under center and adding a tight end in an attempt to counter-act the 3-man front by expanding the line of scrimmage. 

If both changes hit immediately, Oklahoma State has the type of schedule to mount a dark-horse run that most Big 12 observers are expecting out of Texas Tech. The Pokes play only two of the top six teams in the Big 12's preseason poll, which means they get to play all seven teams picked behind them -- seven of the bottom seven. Overall, it's the easiest schedule in the conference.

It remains to be seen how Oklahoma State performs this season, but Gundy's track record indicates Nardo's days as a Division II grinder are done. Yurcich spent six seasons in Stillwater, and has since coached at Ohio State, Texas and Penn State. Nardo could be in for a similar ride. 

Edited by LTtxfan

The 15 most important assistant coaching hires of 2023 -- No. 13: Buster Faulkner, Georgia Tech

Screenshot_20230808-033650_kindlephoto-6031218.png.766401d15edca9c5fbe8915624266c01.png

Who: Buster Faulkner, Georgia Tech

Title: Offensive coordinator/tight ends coach

Previous stop: Georgia quality control coach (2020-22)

Why he's important: Before we go any further, let's get one thing straight: Faulkner's move from Georgia to neighbor and rival Georgia Tech wasn't some heel turn. It was a continuation of the mission. 

Faulker grew up in the Atlanta suburb of Lilburn and quarterbacked Parkview to a high school state championship in 1997. From there, he was one of Division II's best quarterbacks at Valdosta State before finishing his career at Texas A&M-Commerce. Faulkner's coaching career began at Valdosta and has taken him to four different states since, but a prominent job in his home state was always the destination. 

https://footballscoop.com/news/the-15-most-important-assistant-coaching-hires-of-2023-no-13-buster-faulkner-georgia-tech

The 15 most important assistant coaching hires of 2023 -- No. 12: Chris Jackson, Texas

Screenshot_20230808-151657_kindlephoto-300655.png.4d31d365c5f5d63ca9e0bfd01064b60e.png

In his first season as a college coach, the directive for Chris Jackson is clear: improve the passing game, win a conference title, and produce multiple draft picks.

Who: Chris Jackson, Texas

Title: Passing game coordinator/wide receivers coach

Previous stop: Jacksonville Jaguars wide receivers coach (2022)

Why he's important: After a 2022 season that saw a modest improvement from 5-7 to 8-5, Steve Sarkisian returned nearly every piece of his offensive personnel. He knew he'd lose running backs Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson to the NFL, and in January he knew he'd need a wide receivers coach after Brennan Marion, one year into the job, took the offensive coordinator job at UNLV. 

https://footballscoop.com/news/the-15-most-important-assistant-coaching-hires-of-2023-no-12-chris-jackson-texas

Screenshot_20230817-165353_kindlephoto-9366277.png.1c3f847626efc6ef07ebebd60603a86f.png

Who: Josh Gattis, Maryland

Title: Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach

Previous stop: Miami offensive coordinator/wide receivers coach (2022)

Why he's important: Josh Gattis has experienced a career's worth of ups-and-downs in the past two years. 

https://footballscoop.com/news/the-15-most-important-assistant-coaching-hires-of-2023-no-10-josh-gattis-maryland

Screenshot_20230821-140631_kindlephoto-4157290.png.a94a5f3c43f4a15f946066f7044f2f44.png

Who: Austin Armstrong, Florida

Title: Defensive coordinator

Previous stop: Southern Miss defensive coordinator/linebackers coach (2021-22)

Why he's important: Austin Armstrong says a lot of things in a short amount of time, which makes sense. He's gone a long way in a short amount of time.

https://footballscoop.com/news/the-15-most-important-assistant-coaching-hires-of-2023-no-8-austin-armstrong-florida

The 15 most important assistant coaching hires of 2023 -- No. 7: Sean Lewis, Colorado

Screenshot_20230823-090606_kindlephoto-8773536.png.7b9a8ab119d81c0408b5ce17cd99bf52.png

No matter what happens over the next few years, the Prime era in Colorado will be college football history. It's largely up to Lewis whether it's the good kind or the bad.

Imagine selling your moderately successful tech consulting business to go work for Elon Musk. From the outside, all we see is madness -- wild quotes from the boss, a workplace culture that might not rise to the best practices of your standard American corporation. But look at how far he's gotten. There's gotta be a method somewhere within that madness... right? 

That's the football equivalent of Sean Lewis leaving the Kent State head coaching job to be Deion Sanders's offensive coordinator at Colorado. 

Lewis went 24-31 in his five seasons at Kent State, which may not sound like much until you realize it's Kent State. His 17-14 stretch from 2019-21 represented the best 3-year run for the Golden Flashes from 1972-74. Those three seasons happened to be Don James's last three years at Kent State; they earned him the head coaching job at Washington, where he'd go on to build a College Football Hall of Fame career.

So, having strung together success last obtained by a future Hall of Fame, national champion head coach, Lewis left his post in Ohio to join Coach Prime in the mountains.

“It was a tremendous opportunity,” Lewis said back in March. “I knew there would be great things that are happening here. The work we had done at Kent State was second to none and (I’m) really proud of what we did there, but I knew that for what I was after and what the opportunity was for my family and everything this could provide now and in the future, it’s something I had to jump at.”

What kind of boss is Deion? In his infamous "I'm bringing my luggage and it's Louis" introductory team meeting, Coach Sanders said he expected his coaches to put work first while at work, and then put family first while at home. Two Sanders sons are on the team, and a third a full-time videographer, so it seems Prime walks the walk in this area.

Then again, would it really shock you if, three years from now, we heard reports of Colorado assistants being expected to keep crazy work schedules, even for college football? 

Anything and everything is on the table for perhaps the grandest experiment we've seen, and Lewis is partially responsible for making sure this experiment doesn't set fire to the chemistry lab.

Lewis is a student of the Briles Veer and Shoot system, having learned and operated it under Dino Babers over the course of six seasons at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green and Syracuse. His 2021 team ranked third nationally with nearly 249 rushing yards per game at 5.38 per carry, which allowed Kent State quarterback Dustin Crum to finish among the top 30 nationally with 8.4 yards per attempt. 

A brand new offensive line will clear the way for Dylan Edwards, a 4-star true freshman, who has emerged as the starting running back over the course of training camp. 

Lewis says Colorado has identified a starting five up front but admits they won't really know what they have until the first snap against TCU. 

"It's kind of a wait-and-see. I love their approach," he said. "You don't really know what you have until you're in the live fire. I love the way that they're seeing the game through the same set of eyes, the five guys that we've settled in on. That allows us to play fast."

Colorado's roster lists 18 wide receivers, walk-ons included. Twelve are freshmen, and the other six are transfers. In fact, 22 Buffaloes caught a pass last season; only four -- two running backs, two tight ends -- return. Those four players combined for 12 receptions. 

True freshman Dylan Edwards has emerged as the starting running back, where he'll be backed up by Kentucky transfer Kavoisey Smoke and Houston transfer Alton McCaskill. Shedeur Sanders will start at quarterback. 

In short, if a Buff who was on the team in 2022 will not touch the ball in a close game in 2023. 

"Go fast, be efficient, stay on schedule," Lewis said of his offensive mantra. "We want to create space for our speed, we want to find ways to create a numerical advantage. If all those things are going to be even, we want to create leverage so then we can out-flank and take away the edge of the defense."

Lewis does not script his opening plays, preferring to go by feel. And while this Colorado offense has certainly come a long way from the first spring practice to today, it'll be a work in progress all year long. Lewis has been laying a foundation to adapt to sudden change from the beginning. "One of my quotes we always say, and the guys joke with me, 'So what, now what?'"

No matter what happens over the next few years, the Prime era in Colorado will be college football history. It's largely up to Lewis whether it's the good kind or the bad. 

https://footballscoop.com/news/the-15-most-important-assistant-coaching-hires-of-2023-no-7-sean-lewis-colorado

Nevada loses offensive staff member

DOUG SAMUELS       23 HOURS AGO

Nevada quarterbacks coach Nate Costa has left the staff less than two weeks before the team's season opener.  The school announced the resignation, as he becomes the second on-field staff member the Wolf Pack have lost in recent weeks.

Special teams coordinator Michael Barton also parted ways with the program recently, and Ken Wilson brought back former graduate assistant Peyton Yanagi as their special teams coordinator.

Costa was in his second year with the program as an original member of head coach Ken Wilson's staff. It was his first on-field coaching opportunity after spending six seasons on staff at Oregon where he worked as a graduate assistant and offensive analyst.

To replace Costa, offensive coordinator and tight ends coach Derek Sage is now coaching the quarterbacks.

The move puts Wilson's program at nine on-field coaches heading into their season opener on the road against USC on September 2nd.

The 15 most important assistant coaching hires of 2023 -- No. 6: Phil Longo, Wisconsin

Wisconsin's switch to the "Dairy Raid" is less about the scheme and more about the people running it.

Screenshot_20230825-113258_kindlephoto-9826812.png.9a31af77c534eef08c9600a052d55453.png

Screenshot_20230825-113517_kindlephoto-9966495.thumb.png.e069c4242c40d85768f8a2a16f62fe5f.png

https://footballscoop.com/news/the-15-most-important-assistant-coaching-hires-of-2023-no-6-phil-longo-wisconsin

Edited by LTtxfan

The 15 most important assistant coaching hires of 2023 -- No. 5: Tony White, Nebraska

Screenshot_20230829-070556_kindlephoto-8177850.png.d81be7359ccf6cfa0eae7ff9cff00bc7.png

Matt Rhule's team will run Tony White's version of the 3-3-5, but White stresses that it'll be Nebraska's defense, not just his.

Screenshot_20230829-065837_kindlephoto-7742500.thumb.png.6bff27ef691144966b7d5329e8283b89.png

https://footballscoop.com/news/the-15-most-important-assistant-coaching-hires-of-2023-no-5-tony-white-nebraska

The 15 most important assistant coaching hires of 2023 -- No. 4: Pete Golding, Ole Miss

Screenshot_20230829-124359_kindlephoto-25816137.png.73e89ce93039bda91461a72234d5927c.png

Pete Golding most likely won't win a national championship as Ole Miss's defensive coordinator like he did at Alabama, but he'll almost certainly be happier.

Screenshot_20230829-124700_kindlephoto-26003642.png.dca01da495f903180111a730d3a3d813.png

https://footballscoop.com/podcast-2/the-15-most-important-assistant-coaching-hires-of-2023-no-4-pete-golding-ole-miss

The 15 most important assistant coaching hires of 2023 -- No. 3: Garrett Riley, Clemson

Screenshot_2023-08-31-14-15-28_kindlephoto-2475525.png.e39299aa422fa87180fc17affc92b364.png

Garrett Riley was hired to do one thing above all others: Get the most out of sophomore quarterback Cade Klubnik.

Who: Garrett Riley, Clemson

Previous stop: TCU offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach (2022)

Why he's important: I had the opportunity to Dabo Swinney speak last January. For close to an hour, it was an opportunity to hear Dabo tell the Dabo story in his own words. There were plenty of Dabo-isms -- I recall a line about one's own ice cream melting while counting someone else's sprinkles -- but over the course of the hour, everything clicked into place. 

https://footballscoop.com/news/the-15-most-important-assistant-coaching-hires-of-2023-no-3-garrett-riley-clemson

The 15 most important assistant coaching hires of 2023 -- No. 2: Bobby Petrino, Texas A&M

Screenshot_2023-09-01-22-12-05_kindlephoto-3770230.png.e689d5fc7241d0eaad5c73962dbd2f9a.png

For A&M's new offensive coordinator, it's about having the discipline to bring what the Aggies do on the practice field over to Kyle Field -- including the play-caller.

Who: Bobby Petrino, Texas A&M

Previous stop: Missouri State head coach (2020-22)

Why he's important: Nearly eight months after the hiring, we still don't have the definitive, so-clear-a-blind-man-can-see-it explanation on if Bobby Petrino will call the plays for Texas A&M. "Hopefully," Jimbo Fisher memorably said at SEC media days in July.

"It is a collective effort. I've been calling the plays out at practice. A lot of times the plays are called throughout the week, so as you game plan you put down your third-and-shorts, you know what you want to do run and pass-wise. Then you practice them and you go back and rank 'em. And a lot of times it's, 'We've got 3rd-and-1, the ball's on the right hash,' (snaps) call's already made," Petrino said earlier this month. 

https://footballscoop.com/news/the-15-most-important-assistant-coaching-hires-of-2023-no-2-bobby-petrino-texas-a-m

The 15 most important assistant coaching hires of 2023 -- No. 1: Tommy Rees, Alabama

Screenshot_2023-09-01-22-19-48_kindlephoto-4230326.png.485a1f074c6427d51787f1e6943e7a3c.png

"Tommy Rees is one of the brightest young guys that I've seen in a long time in this business," Nick Saban said of his new offensive coordinator.

Who: Tommy Rees

Previous stop: Notre Dame quarterbacks coach (2017-22), offensive coordinator (2020-22)

Why he's important: Nick Saban has changed coordinators a time or three. Tommy Rees is the 14th man to lead one side of the ball in Saban's 17 seasons. Such turnover is not exactly ideal, but it's not feared, either. Healthy, even. 

https://footballscoop.com/news/the-15-most-important-assistant-coaching-hires-of-2023-no-1-tommy-rees-alabama

Technically not fired but I think Petrino murders Jimbo on the field by halftime of the third game. So the speculation is only on method. While likely to be blunt force trauma with whatever Bobby can find, I would prefer Petrino grab a Corpsman sword and do a full Japanese disembowelment on the sideline then a swift decapitation.

• 4 weeks later...

In all the palaver leading up to the Bama game, somewhere in there Saban said something along the lines of Sark being the one he'd like to be taking his place whenever that happens. I thought it was a little odd, and wondered whether Sark would go there. for certain, Nick's one of the guys who's been pretty vocal about the changes including NIL...

9 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

In all the palaver leading up to the Bama game, somewhere in there Saban said something along the lines of Sark being the one he'd like to be taking his place whenever that happens. I thought it was a little odd, and wondered whether Sark would go there. for certain, Nick's one of the guys who's been pretty vocal about the changes including NIL...

When it’s time to ask for a raise, all Sark’s agent has to do is play that clip…

14 hours ago, Tex Long said:

No, saban didn’t say anything like that. He did give Sark his props though.

Unless you have a quote none of the rest of us do because something like that would have been talked about all week. 

41 minutes ago, Pancho said:

No, saban didn’t say anything like that. He did give Sark his props though.

Unless you have a quote none of the rest of us do because something like that would have been talked about all week. 

It's not necessary to turn your shit opinion into an opportunity to act like a didactic asshole. 

Although, to be fair, "Didactic Assholes" would be a pretty decent band name, so there's that.

• 1 month later...

Since it's now November, Coaching seats getting hot.  I won't be surprised if Dave Aranda gets replaced -- probably by Jeff Traylor.

Jimbo's situation will continue to be discussed.  I'm not sure Holgorsen will survive at UH either.  Bobby Burton said this morning that he's hearing Garrett Riley might be on some short lists for a job like UTSA if it opens.   

----------------------------------------------

Coaching hot seat article...

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/college-football-coaching-news-2023-24-hot-seat-coaches-jim-harbaugh-latest-jimbo-fisher-buyout--219301862/

Here's an article on coaches that stocks are on the rise...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10096232-8-coaches-likely-to-be-hot-commodities-in-college-football-hiring-cycle

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I won't be surprised if Dave Aranda gets replaced -- probably by Jeff Traylor.

From what I've read, the BMDs at Baylor are tapped out due to the the new basketball arena and the football development center.  Aranda may be safe for another season or two until they can open up wallets again. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Since it's now November, Coaching seats getting hot.  I won't be surprised if Dave Aranda gets replaced -- probably by Jeff Traylor.

Jimbo's situation will continue to be discussed.  I'm not sure Holgorsen will survive at UH either.  Bobby Burton said this morning that he's hearing Garrett Riley might be on some short lists for a job like UTSA if it opens.   

Coaching hot seat article...

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/college-football-coaching-news-2023-24-hot-seat-coaches-jim-harbaugh-latest-jimbo-fisher-buyout--219301862/

Here's an article on coaches that stocks are on the rise...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10096232-8-coaches-likely-to-be-hot-commodities-in-college-football-hiring-cycle

Forgot to mention (from above article) how well things are going for Barry Odom and our friend Brennan Marion at UNLV...

Screenshot_20231108-102935_kindlephoto-5538525.png.8c760b12a8868708cffaeb94f2cdbfa6.png

Screenshot_20231108-102754_kindlephoto-5437099.png.42a0efaeb1434448b859fbb3d0577a53.png

On the topic of familiar faces finding success in new places, enter Barry Odom.  Now the head coach at UNLV, he has done a tremendous job turning around a football program that has struggled mightily in recent years.

For some perspective, the Rebels have already won seven games this season. They have won eight games only once since 2000, which is to say this isn't normal.  That work coupled with Odom's previous head coaching experience at Missouri should be enough to generate some calls. His defensive expertise alone will likely be a desired commodity, and it wouldn't be shocking to see him make his way back into Power Five sooner than later.