Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games

Machinator

17 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

We're in a new era, the #metoo era.  Most of the time, the biggest trouble is in the cover up.  However, if Meyer really did report up the chain in 2015, something he's been conflicted about in the past and Gene Smith and his staff didn't provide a robust investigation or a measured risk management recommendation/decision, then Gene Smith will be gone.  IMO, this is what is being set up.  Gene Smith will resign or be let go, Meyer will be suspended because although Smith failed in his duties, Meyer should have known better to get rid of Zach Smith in any of the preceding 3 years after and for failure to be transparent (lying).  If one agrees an improper or poor decision was made in the past, then someone has to wear it and although Meyer is the most powerful person in the Athletic Department at OSU (one of the most powerful at the University), they can hide him behind Smith, make him a scapegoat, and then slap Meyer's hands for more minor decision making mistakes.

This is why I brought up Tressel & the tattoo situation.  The reason they were ok dumping tressel is probably because they knew they could get Meyer.  Getting fired for tattoos is really probably the lowest thing to get fired for.  I hate OSU and can't believe they actually got rid of him given the other scandals that have been survived by other schools/coaches (UNC is literally going thru this right now and the coach isn't under any heat from what I've seen).  It was easy for Gene to save his own ass because a top 5 coach was out there and they knew they were the best job in the market for a coach in the next 12-18 months.  Meyer saying he did everything right really put the pressure on OSU to decide between Meyer and GS in my opinion (or to dump both).  The unique thing here is that Stoops is out there and he is arguably a top 5 coach still.  The young guys haven't proven anything and Stoops is going to get OSU 11 wins or more this year if he steps in.  GS is probably fighting for his life and if he gets some commitment from stoops he probably saves his job.  Meyer is positioned to file a suit and possibly get his full buyout but that makes things ugly.

I think you're right, the best thing to do (if you are OSU) is get rid of GS and try and salvage Meyer.  But if the big dicks step in and say they won't donate money to the university (non-athletic donors) if Meyer is involved then you have a complete wildcard thrown in the mix and they probably dump GS and UM and try to bring in stoops.

I had an OU friend tell me that he doesn't think Stoops would go because he wouldn't want to tarnish his legacy.  That is silly in my mind.  OSU has done the 1 year interim before so it isn't unprecedented.  Stoops could commit for a year, see how it goes and if he doesn't want to be there then move on and say he was doing a favor for his friends at OSU.  If he gets to a national championship game he only enhanced his legacy and might get him to stay for a longer tenure.  Really no risk if you are stoops.

20 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

This is why I brought up Tressel & the tattoo situation.  The reason they were ok dumping tressel is probably because they knew they could get Meyer.  Getting fired for tattoos is really probably the lowest thing to get fired for.  I hate OSU and can't believe they actually got rid of him given the other scandals that have been survived by other schools/coaches (UNC is literally going thru this right now and the coach isn't under any heat from what I've seen).  It was easy for Gene to save his own ass because a top 5 coach was out there and they knew they were the best job in the market for a coach in the next 12-18 months.  Meyer saying he did everything right really put the pressure on OSU to decide between Meyer and GS in my opinion (or to dump both).  The unique thing here is that Stoops is out there and he is arguably a top 5 coach still.  The young guys haven't proven anything and Stoops is going to get OSU 11 wins or more this year if he steps in.  GS is probably fighting for his life and if he gets some commitment from stoops he probably saves his job.  Meyer is positioned to file a suit and possibly get his full buyout but that makes things ugly.

I think you're right, the best thing to do (if you are OSU) is get rid of GS and try and salvage Meyer.  But if the big dicks step in and say they won't donate money to the university (non-athletic donors) if Meyer is involved then you have a complete wildcard thrown in the mix and they probably dump GS and UM and try to bring in stoops.

I had an OU friend tell me that he doesn't think Stoops would go because he wouldn't want to tarnish his legacy.  That is silly in my mind.  OSU has done the 1 year interim before so it isn't unprecedented.  Stoops could commit for a year, see how it goes and if he doesn't want to be there then move on and say he was doing a favor for his friends at OSU.  If he gets to a national championship game he only enhanced his legacy and might get him to stay for a longer tenure.  Really no risk if you are stoops.

Tressel was fired for lying in sworn affidavits to the NCAA, if memory serves. How they got there, whether covering for players getting free tattoos or covering up murder, is irrelevant once that much is understood. Don't trivialize why he was fired as being because his players received improper benefits from a tattoo parlor. 

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Tressel was fired for lying in sworn affidavits to the NCAA, if memory serves. How they got there, whether covering for players getting free tattoos or covering up murder, is irrelevant once that much is understood. Don't trivialize why he was fired as being because his players received improper benefits from a tattoo parlor. 

Thank you for the refresher on that I forgot about that aspect.  I remembered the tattoos and the memorabilia sales but not the affidavits.

18 hours ago, Parliament said:

That's their take.  Also.  He zones in pretty hard, and it's POSSIBLE he didn't know; but come on.  Keeping/firing him comes down to the University deciding to/not to, eat the shit and degrade our brand.  Les Wexner was mentioned.  In addition to the hundreds of millions of dollars he has given (a small share to the football team) he strong armed other BMD's to cough up ONE BILLION DOLLARS for the new cancer center (which carries his name.)  How much will keeping him hurt his feelings, and are you willing to do it?

What's more important?  Football or our brand and donors?  We'll know by the end of the month.  Barring new, bad, revelations, I say he's gone.  Regardless of whether he should or should not be.  He's gone.

4 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

From where I sit it just doesn't look like tOSU has any intention of firing Meyer.

BuckNationCargoShorts has circled the wagons. How dare you question their football coach.

You're right but BuckeyeNationCargoShorts isn't raising $1 Billion for tOSU.  I don't think it's about legal cover for tOSU now.  It seem like they can "get away" with keeping UM.

More importantly is whether the B-BMDs want Urb around.  Somebody like Wexner could say, "Look, get rid of UM and we'll just throw a bunch of money at another top flight coach".

tOSU does have a history of bouncing back pretty well after coach firings.

32 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

the problem as I see it is that everyone saying "wait til Wexner gets involved' doesn't know jack shit about what Wexner thinks about any of this

True, we only know what he thinks about domestic violence given he & his wife founded the Columbus Coalition Against Family Violence & that his wife is the sitting chairman.

The Wexners are certainly wise enough to know that a wife beater was harbored within the staff.. I’d say it’s safe they would have a problem with that.

Edited by UcancallmeSurly
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, UcancallmeSurly said:

True, we only know what he thinks about domestic violence & given he & his wife founded the Columbus Coalition Against Family Violence & that his wife is the sitting chairman.

The Wexners are certainly wise enough to know that a wife beater was harbored within the staff.. I’d say it’s safe they would have a problem with that.

You are making inferences, but you don't know that Wexner wants Meyer fired because Wexner hasn't commented on it publicly. You keep implying in varying tones of certainty that "once arch-crusader Wexner gets involved, Meyer's gone!" or "they would have a problem with that", but you don't actually know anything. None of us do.

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

You are making inferences, but you don't know that Wexner wants Meyer fired because Wexner hasn't commented on it publicly. You keep implying in varying tones of certainty that "once arch-crusader Wexner gets involved, Meyer's gone!" or "they would have a problem with that", but you don't actually know anything. None of us do.

You don’t know what I know, I do know you are being a bitch tho.

...and word to ya mutha

• Haha 1

He lied in a press conference about knowledge of the allegations.  Even if OSU somehow says that UM handled everything correctly when he learned of the allegations, I think he gets suspended for the press conference by OSU with some BS press release that says they don't condone his "failure" to tell the truth.

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

the problem as I see it is that everyone saying "wait til Wexner gets involved' doesn't know jack shit about what Wexner thinks about any of this

My point is that it seems now that if UM goes it won't be because tOSU "had to" fire him but rather that they "wanted to" fire him. So, why would they want to fire him?  Only if some BMDs want it.  I'm not saying they do or don't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnowAggy said:

My point is that it seems now that if UM goes it won't be because tOSU "had to" fire him but rather that they "wanted to" fire him. So, why would they want to fire him?  Only if some BMDs want it.  I'm not saying they do or don't.

If I had a guess, I would say the "not wanting to" is higher than the "wanting to", in firing Urban...

3 hours ago, smwhorn said:

He lied in a press conference about knowledge of the allegations.  Even if OSU somehow says that UM handled everything correctly when he learned of the allegations, I think he gets suspended for the press conference by OSU with some BS press release that says they don't condone his "failure" to tell the truth.

Suspended for all press conferences leading up to the home opener?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I wonder if it possible to live stream the major donors thoughts in a public forum..?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

No shit, he even got a 5-year show-cause penalty from the NCAA. 

I don't know or care about any of this, but if Wexner is as powerful as is described and is so involved in the cause against family violence, then I would bet with Vegas that he does not want that slime ball Urban as the face of his university's football program.  In his circle of friends, that rich fucker would look like a total hypocrite.   How many powerful super rich donors want to look like pontificating hypocrites because of piss ants like the crackhead alcoholic Zach Smith and his boss.  Urban covered up for that turd for years, everybody knows it, and he lied about it.  He picked the wrong side.  Wexner or Earl Bruce?  Choose wisely.   Richard Benjamin says "Goodbye Columbus".  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UcancallmeSurly said:

True, we only know what he thinks about domestic violence given he & his wife founded the Columbus Coalition Against Family Violence & that his wife is the sitting chairman.

I would agree with that assessment 

Edited by FigurelliPwC

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

Vegas thinks so too

Vegas thinks it's about 5-to-2 that he stays... or at least that's what they're guessing the bettors think.

Will Urban Meyer be fired or resign as head coach in 2018?

BET ODDS

No

Yes

+600

3 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

I don't know or care about any of this, but if Wexner is as powerful as is described and is so involved in the cause against family violence, then I would bet with Vegas that he does not want that slime ball Urban as the face of his university's football program.  In his circle of friends, that rich fucker would look like a total hypocrite.   How many powerful super rich donors want to look like pontificating hypocrites because of piss ants like the crackhead alcoholic Zach Smith and his boss.  Urban covered up for that turd for years, everybody knows it, and he lied about it.  He picked the wrong side.  Wexner or Earl Bruce?  Choose wisely.   Richard Benjamin says "Goodbye Columbus".  

Si, that’s why I’m keeping the “is he fired yet?” flame burnin.  I’ll actually be surprised if Urb’s is still on board by mid September.

The Fischer guy on the investigative team is a close cronie to Wexner & has little ties to tOSU sports.

Wexner recently rallied up the $billion med center funding with his crew of donors.  They are not that active in the AD booster network.. they are institutional donors and community donors.

Edited by UcancallmeSurly

1 hour ago, UcancallmeSurly said:

Si, that’s why I’m keeping the “is he fired yet?” flame burnin.  I’ll actually be surprised if Urb’s is still on board by mid September.

The Fischer guy on the investigative team is a close cronie to Wexner & has little ties to tOSU sports.

Wexner recently rallied up the $billion med center funding with his crew of donors.  They are not that active in the AD booster network.. they are institutional donors and community donors.

Like Everett Dirksen once said, "A billion here, a billion there; pretty soon you're talking real money."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

While that's true and there's prob no doubt that Wexner will have the ear of the president and BoT if he wants it there's a chance they will be able to talk him into letting UM stay if he does a, b and c which might include helping raise money for Wexner's charity and other stuff. I mean if Wexner wants to throw his weight around he could prob get him canned. Its not a certainty he will though.

I can't find a good link, but it sounds like the Powell PD (where Ms. Smith lives) won't provide documents the investigating committee is asking for. Something about, "He wasn't charged with anything, so we won't give you the stuff." Or something.

The ax-grinders will say, "Ha! Home cooking I knew it!" Maybe, but I'll remind you Columbus PD has arrested TWO Ohio State QB's for DUI in recent years. No home cooking there.

14 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

sad but true.  they will make him sit 3 games against little mothers of the poor university and call it a day.  As a Michigan fan ive always known that OSU is a POS university now its just been confirmed.

I would wonder if he is suspended, if he can still attend games in the stadium..?

the longer this drags on, and with as quiet as ohio state and urban meyer have been, i think they are keeping him. which is, imo, reprehensible, even though he wasn't the person allegedly abusing his spouse. he knew. we know he knew. you don't have to even prove it. this isn't a court of law. but they'll keep him, i think, because football, and that sucks.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

the longer this drags on, and with as quiet as ohio state and urban meyer have been, i think they are keeping him. which is, imo, reprehensible, even though he wasn't the person allegedly abusing his spouse. he knew. we know he knew. you don't have to even prove it. this isn't a court of law. but they'll keep him, i think, because football, and that sucks.

Which would just prove their lack of integrity IMO.  

43 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Caught up with an osu contact, not a lot of confidence in his thoughts but it's the offseason so I'll share: The team managing this is very small and private. osu power brokers expect an agreement with the ex-wife & a group of "womens/domestic violence organizations" as they have "secured" new found donations which will allow them to move forward with a "unified" message. 

• bob in houston changed the title to Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games