2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

5 hours ago, Domedriver said:

I can not believe that none of yous are giving Heradura Reposado any respect in this Kool-aid discussion.

1) Heradura is a real Tequila and is old school 100% agave 

2) The Reposado is aged in oak barrels, rested for flavor and smoothness.

3) Its color gives the OJ a smooth Burnt color and is like an old school jersey in a 50/50 mix

4) It is fully leaded and will give you full go multi-color dreams if you drink enough

5) It would be termed a Tequila Sunrise and some sun rising is about what the fuck we need right now!

Not that I have anything against Titos, but I buy Smirrinoff handles by the case from the SM Specs for sub $15 handles.

I was with you until you said fully leaded. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It's looking more and more like Texas is going to start 18 upperclassmen in its 22 starter lineup. On top of that, there are some upperclassmen who can play backing them up. McCullough, Bonney, Watson, Burt, Heard, Buechele, and Wilbon are guys in the two deep with significant starter and/or playing minutes heading into this season. 

For the first time since 2009, we cannot call Texas "young", and that's a good thing. I also recognize that there simply isn't much hype around this team either. In many of our fantasies heading into a season after the PTSD of 2010-2017, this is what we dreamed of, yet there's remarkably little discussion about these benefits ... anywhere, really. It's interesting to witness, and on some subconscious level, I understand it too. 

Agree with everything here. I want to add that no news is good news. 

Usually we have a new coordinator. And a new QB. And new OL. 

This is the first time since when that we aren't replacing parts at all/most of those spots? It might not mean much in the win column this season, but it's a step in the right direction for the program.

10 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Whatever happened to Fitzgerald?

Andrew? He's taking longer than expected to develop, and is buried on the depth chart because our current two-deep at DE is pretty badass: Hager, Bimage, Omenihu, Graham.

I'm fine with it. Hopefully he gives us something next season when we turn over a large chunk of our front 7.

18 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Andrew? He's taking longer than expected to develop, and is buried on the depth chart because our current two-deep at DE is pretty badass: Hager, Bimage, Omenihu, Graham.

I'm fine with it. Hopefully he gives us something next season when we turn over a large chunk of our front 7.

But Chip told me he was a JJ Watt Starter Kit!

I do hope the kid develops, though he may have been recruited over.

Vodka depends on how you drink it.  

Good vodka should be consumed straight.  If you are going to mix it use the cheap stuff.  It's not the vodka that screws you up,  it's the stuff you put in the drink.  

I used to work for an airline back in the '70s.  Aeroflot came to IAH and allowed some of to come on board and see their airplane.  The Russian stewardess gave us cups of straight Vodka and it was like nothing I have ever tasted since.  It was without a doubt the best Vodka I have ever tasted in my life.  

14 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Good vodka should be consumed straight.  If you are going to mix it use the cheap stuff.  It's not the vodka that screws you up,  it's the stuff you put in the drink.  

I used to work for an airline back in the '70s.  Aeroflot came to IAH and allowed some of to come on board and see their airplane.  The Russian stewardess gave us cups of straight Vodka and it was like nothing I have ever tasted since.  It was without a doubt the best Vodka I have ever tasted in my life.  

Russian stewardesses in the heyday of the '70s? And you want to talk about the fucking alcohol? Must have been some truly amazing shit.

Edited by Sejjr

27 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Russian stewardesses in the heyday of the '70s? And you want to talk about the fucking alcohol? Must have been some truly amazing shit.

I can tell you don't have a clue what Russian stewardess look like it the '70's.  They would  be discussed on the recruitine thread. 

Heyday of the '70's?  You're retarded.  

Edited by Laga4

22 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I can tell you don't have a clue what Russian stewardess look like it the '70's.  They would  be discussed on the recruting thread. 

Heyday of the '70's?  You're retarded.  

Edited by Laga4

10 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Tito's is solid for when you're in unfamiliar bars and want decent shit but don't want to be that douche leaning over the bar asking a bunch of fucking questions about what they have

I usually look at what they have sitting out and go from there, but that's just me 

3 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Or Nickelson.

Some of Wickline's evaluations look terrible. 

Nickelson-good kid and somebody that really did care about the program but couldn't block in pass pro to save his life. 

Delance-I was reading somewhere the other day that he's struggling at Florida. Believe he's going to be the 2nd or 3rd string LT. 

Imade- third year and he's a backup. Maybe there's some potential but I haven't heard much about Imade. 

Garrett Thomas-yikes

Rodriguez-maybe slightly above average guard at best. At least I hope. 

Anderson-yikes

Okafor-has some potential. Probably still too early to reach a conclusion on Okafor. 

Hodges-decent tackle but certainly nothing special. 

If not for Connor Williams this is bad. Really bad. 

Edited by texasstrong12

17 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Some of Wickline's evaluations look terrible. 

Nickelson-good kid and somebody that really did care about the program but couldn't block in pass pro to save his life. 

Delance-I was reading somewhere the other day that he's struggling at Florida. Believe he's going to be the 2nd or 3rd string LT. 

Imade- third year and he's a backup. Maybe there's some potential but I haven't heard much about Imade. 

Garrett Thomas-yikes

Rodriguez-maybe slightly above average guard at best. At least I hope. 

Anderson-yikes

Okafor-has some potential. Probably still too early to reach a conclusion on Okafor. 

Hodges-decent tackle but certainly nothing special. 

If not for Connor Williams this is bad. Really bad. 

Imade is supposedly doing well. Not good enough to start (which is a major caveat), but better. He's likable so I hope he pans out and can play next year. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Domedriver said:

I can not believe that none of yous are giving Heradura Reposado any respect in this Kool-aid discussion.

1) Heradura is a real Tequila and is old school 100% agave 

2) The Reposado is aged in oak barrels, rested for flavor and smoothness.

3) Its color gives the OJ a smooth Burnt color and is like an old school jersey in a 50/50 mix

4) It is fully leaded and will give you full go multi-color dreams if you drink enough

5) It would be termed a Tequila Sunrise and some sun rising is about what the fuck we need right now!

Not that I have anything against Titos, but I buy Smirrinoff handles by the case from the SM Specs for sub $15 handles.

Heradura is some bad ass shit!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It's looking more and more like Texas is going to start 18 upperclassmen in its 22 starter lineup. On top of that, there are some upperclassmen who can play backing them up. McCullough, Bonney, Watson, Burt, Heard, Buechele, and Wilbon are guys in the two deep with significant starter and/or playing minutes heading into this season. 

For the first time since 2009, we cannot call Texas "young", and that's a good thing. I also recognize that there simply isn't much hype around this team either. In many of our fantasies heading into a season after the PTSD of 2010-2017, this is what we dreamed of, yet there's remarkably little discussion about these benefits ... anywhere, really. It's interesting to witness, and on some subconscious level, I understand it too. 

I think we're going to sneak up on some motherfuckers.

Not like ou 2000 levels of sneak, but sneak we will

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I puked in the parking lot after the 2001 Big 12 Title Game. I was stone cold sober. That's never happened before or since. Just absolute despair as a fan boiling into nausea.

Then some gigantic Colorado broad getting into her minivan with her tiny, skinny husband and two fat kids made the mistake of screaming "hahahaha Texas sucks!" at us as we were walking by their vehicle. She made for the perfect outlet at the perfect time. I assume her husband is still trying to comfort her over the vitriol that sailed out of my mouth into her fat ears. I like to think I've grown a great deal since then.

Please, please, never grow . . . your reaction was outstanding. Reminds me of the time I was in the Astrodome, watching UH and Andre Ware kick our ass, and I, drunkenly, challenged the entire section of cougar fans we were amidst "to step outside." My Horn buddy said, "sit down stupid, before they do." And there wasn't even Tito's back then, had to rely on ol' Jack for my courage.

7 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I watched that game at the home of a friend of my girlfriend, who was having a party that evening. It was an artsy wine-and-cheese crowd, I was one of two people glued to the TV. I kept it together the entire game, through all the ineptitude. When we finally stopped those fucks, finally getting the ball back to go win...and then roughed the punter...I snapped. I unleashed a string of the most vile expletives you can imagine, screaming like a madman at the top of my lungs. When I finally stopped, I looked around the room, lightheaded and dazed, shuddering from the aftershocks of my outburst, to see that everybody was staring at me in complete silence and my girlfriend was sobbing a little. I was still muttering to myself under my breath. I looked at everyone and then just left, walked right out the front door. I walked home from North Lamar area to my place on 18th and Rio Grande. I too like to think that I've grown.  

You're the kind of guy that just "likes to keep the conversation lively." From your description, I believe you livened that party up considerably.

4 hours ago, Laga4 said:

Exactly. I live in Poland, and all "smart" Poles know to drink it neat, and chase with water. Yes, I know I used an oxymoron. But they do like the Tito's and Deep Eddy's I have shared with a few of them.

2 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Imade is supposedly doing well. Not good enough to start (which is a major caveat), but better. He's likable so I hope he pans out and can play next year. 

I'm not sure it was ever a possibility that Vahe and Rodriguez would not be the starting guards. Shack too at center. Fuck. We pretty much knew our starting line as soon as Anderson committed and Kerstetter at RT.

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I'm not sure it was ever a possibility that Vahe and Rodriguez would not be the starting guards. Shack too at center. Fuck. We pretty much knew our starting line as soon as Anderson committed and Kerstetter at RT.

Yeah, and let's face it: That's a pretty average bunch. It's last year all over again, with a better LT (not counting Williams, of course). We're hanging our hat on another year in the system and in the weightroom and better coaching. I can see a 20% improvement, but not a whole lot more, and that ain't much. Hope I'm wrong. 

4 hours ago, Sejjr said:

Thanks for calling me retarded twice. Once was hurtful enough.

Flight attendants in the 70s:

Stewardess-4.jpg

Flight attendants today:

larry-gaye-renegade-male-flight-attendan

I have a buddy who is a flight attendant... and straight. 

He was a drummer & an artist in school, not so much into studying. After high school (I think that he ended up in an Arts Magnet school), he toured the country playing drums in a punk band.

Now he usually flies to Central & Northern South American cities and hangs out in the hotel pools with hot stewardesses close to half his age... or chases after some local ladies. It's not a bad gig, but he looks more like an older version of the guy on the right in the lower photo than the hottie on the left in the upper photos.

35 minutes ago, Jack Wilson said:

Yeah, and let's face it: That's a pretty average bunch. It's last year all over again, with a better LT (not counting Williams, of course). We're hanging our hat on another year in the system and in the weightroom and better coaching. I can see a 20% improvement, but not a whole lot more, and that ain't much. Hope I'm wrong. 

http://insidetexas.com/herb-hand-smashmouth-spread-founding-father/

I don't think there will be a huge improvement in pass protection but I would be surprised if there isn't a decent amount of improvement in the run game. Hopefully, we see a similar impact like Hand had at Auburn. We are probably going to give up sacks but an improvement in the run game should at least open up the passing game downfield. "Boom or bust scenario" in the passing game would be improvement at this point. 

If there isn't improvement in the run game it means this OL simply isn't talented enough. From everything I've read, Hand has been successful at almost every stop he's been at in terms of implementing a run game. 

"Their pass protection was not so great and Jarrett Stidham had a dismal sack rate of 8.6% on the year. That said, their passing game was also pretty darn effective with Stidham throwing for 7.3 ypa even after adjusting for sack yardage as a component of the pass game rather than the rushing attack. When you take lots of deep shots off play-action then you can get into some “boom or bust” situations in the passing game, which is occasionally what happened at Auburn last year…but they also just weren’t that great at tackle and Stidham had some bad habits as well."

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

Herb Hand coached Darius James for two years at Auburn. I still wonder why James transferred--hated Charlie, maybe? Wickline? I remember this board basically saying, "Ah, it's not big deal, he wasn't even going to start here." Then he sits out a year and starts two years at RT for Auburn. He's now a UDFA at Cleveland. He damn sure could have/should have played here.

Injuries, transfers, marginal talent/bad evals--damn, we've had our problems with the OL. Maybe it gets better this year, marginally at least.

45 minutes ago, Jack Wilson said:

Herb Hand coached Darius James for two years at Auburn. I still wonder why James transferred--hated Charlie, maybe? Wickline? I remember this board basically saying, "Ah, it's not big deal, he wasn't even going to start here." 

That group of James, Hammad, Estelle, Harrison all had issues. I can't remember if James had similar issues but I remember there being academic issues at one point. From what I remember, I don't think James was a transfer as much as it was a dismissal. 

That group actually had some talent too. Maybe not NFL caliber talent but more talent than we've had in recent years. 

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Details-of-Kennedy-Estelles-Dismissal-105135742/

Edited by texasstrong12

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

That group of James, Hammad, Estelle, Harrison all had issues. I can't remember if James had similar issues but I remember there being academic issues at one point. From what I remember, I don't think James was a transfer as much as it was a dismissal. 

That group actually had some talent too. Maybe not NFL caliber talent but more talent than we've had in recent years. 

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Details-of-Kennedy-Estelles-Dismissal-105135742/

Yeah, Harrison's also a UDFA this year.

Ugg.  I'm pretty much in the camp that winning the line of scrimmage is what wins football games.  I don't see us winning the offensive line of scrimmage much against quality opponents with the guys we have. I wish somebody would convince me the pessimism is unwarranted.  Offensive line is the hardest unit to fix once it's broken.  There's just no quick fixes with freshman like you have at other positions. 

6 hours ago, ausjala said:

Exactly. I live in Poland, and all "smart" Poles know to drink it neat, and chase with water. Yes, I know I used an oxymoron. But they do like the Tito's and Deep Eddy's I have shared with a few of them.

Every chased it with pickle juice? I knew some Russians in grad school who chased their vodka with it. Don't remember much about taste or anything else, I got drunk...but then back in those days I always did.

Damn Studdard has lost some weight.

Also when I clicked on the tweet I got this:

886bcfb97ac82ae7aeec507e0c51968e.png

lol Mack also blocked me on Twitter...my only tweet ever to him was in 2012 thanking him for all he did but that it was time to hang it up. Dude is reallllly thinned skinned. Hahah.
  • Like 1

Team note and practice notes from TFB: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/08/open-post-wednesday-august-8th/

***TEAM NOTE: Am told Jalen Green has been repping some in 1s and 2s group and then spending time in the 3s and 4s group. Green was talented in high school but my concern with as a guy who appeared to play primarily on athletic ability was how quickly he’d pick things up.

I’m told that the learning curve is certainly there but there is a lot of optimism about what they’re seeing from him and what they think he will become once he does learn the defense.

Quick-Hitters from Open Practice | August 7th, 2018
– Alex Briseno

We are pleased to have Alex Briseno contributing to TFB. Alex is the sports editor for The Daily Texan.

After taking its NCAA-mandated day off on Monday, Texas relocated to Whitaker Fields for day four of preseason camp.

Here are notes and observations from Tuesday’s practice:

***At left tackle Okafor ran with the first group. Calvin Anderson ran with the second group. Watched some of the offensive vs defensive line reps and Charles Omenihu was doing what he wanted. Coach Hand was visibly upset. Coach Yancy McKnight, however, seemed to be enjoying the show.

Sourced Note via Super K: I continue to ask about Anderson and how he’s doing and I continue to be told that before it’s all said and done, he will be the starter. In fact one source said, “he stoned Hager three out of four times, today”. I’m told the staff is impressed with him.

***Texas has been careful in its handling of graduate transfer running back Tre Watson’s return from injury. The transfer from California was limited in the first two days of practice, only participating in non-contact drills. Herman said he was limited on Sunday as well when the team put on pads, but cranked his involvement up for Tuesday’s practice. Watson is expected to be ready to go on Wednesday or Thursday for the first two days of full-padded practice, allowing him to take the the starting job — if he wants it.

***It’s obvious Texas won’t rely on any of the current backs like it did with D’Onta Foreman. That was clear last year, and that mentality hasn’t changed. Aside from Watson, sophomore Danny Young flashed glimpses at several points during his freshman year and should also be considered a front-runner to get a hefty chunk of playing time. With Texas willing to give multiple backs time, keep an eye on these two as fall camp unfolds.

***Offensive line coach Herb Hand on the running backs at Thursday’s press conference: “You like to have someone step up and say, ‘I’m going to be the one that wants to be the feature back.’ But it’s going to take the whole stable, just like every other position. You’ve got to have quality depth to be able to play the type of schedule we play. In college football nowadays, you’ve got to have two or three guys you can really count on.”

***Cameron Rising continues to get reps with the ones…

***But, the primary quarterback battle still appears to be between Sam Ehlinger and Shane Buechele. In a press conference Thursday, Herman said Ehlinger would take the first snap, stating, “He’s earned it.”

***Sourced Note via Alex: It’s worth noting that last week I did speak speak to a source close to the program after the first practice who said there was “nothing special” from any of the quarterbacks after day one. In other words, no one separated themselves on the field but that Herman has been “obsessed” with Ehlinger. I’ll reach out to my source later today to see how things have progressed. Most of what we saw today were short passes. So, there wasn’t much to take away.

***Herman said he’ll announce a starter, “When it becomes obvious.” Last season, that wasn’t until the day of the season-opener, so don’t expect an announcement for at least another couple of weeks.

***With 6-foot-6-inch junior Collin Johnson hungry for a breakout season along with the athletic freak in 6-foot-4-inch Lil’ Jordan Humphrey, Texas knew it could have a star-studded wide receiver unit. This isn’t even taking into consideration freshman Brennan Eagles, who officially gives Herman and Texas a good problem: too many receivers and not enough footballs.

***When we first got out there the first the three receivers running with the first team were, not surprisingly, Collin Johnson, Lil Jordan and Duvernay. I did not notice Beck or Brewer on the field. I’m checking with a source on that to find out why.

***Collin Johnson’s expectations are as high as they’ve ever been, and he’s aware of it. After what appeared to be his breakout performance against USC, it seemed safe to expect similar performances for the rest of the year. A USC-like performance never returned and Johnson was even demoted ahead of the Oklahoma State last season. With another year of development under the same coaching staff, expectations are high yet again after he was named to the Biletnikoff Award watch list. He will likely go viral for another one-handed catch before preseason camp is said and done.

His ball-catching skills aren’t the thing being questioned. Once the pads are on, it’ll be his physicality with the biggest question mark behind it.

***Tight ends haven’t exactly made a name for themselves in the burnt orange for a decade. That should finally change this season. It should’ve changed last season, but Andrew Beck’s season ended before it even started after suffering from a fractured foot. That all but destroyed any confidence Herman had in having a strong tight end presence. Now, with a healthy Beck, Lake Travis alumnus Cade Brewer returning from injury and redshirt freshman Reese Leitao available, it should be safe to say Texas will finally have a strong tight end presence.

***Again, didn’t notice Beck or Brewer out there. Interestingly, RS freshman TE, Rob Cummins was out there. Again, checking on the TE situation.

The Longhorns will be practicing at Whitaker Fields for the next two weeks before returning back to Frank Denius Fields in preparation for their season-opener with Maryland. Herman did not hold a post-practice media availability as he has done after the first three practices but is expected to talk after Texas’ first practice in full pads on Wednesday.

11 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

This is the first time since when that we aren't replacing parts at all/most of those spots? It might not mean much in the win column this season, but it's a step in the right direction for the program.

If the win column doesn’t improve considerably this year, it would be impossible to paint the season as a step in the right direction.

IT 2018 Texas Season Preview: Defensive Backs

The most populated position grouping on the Texas roster is defensive backs. You don't really notice this until you get ready to write about each player, or until you want to run dime and have a legitimate two deep.

Texas doesn't just have bodies at the position, it has solid and experienced veterans with talent still yet to surface, solid role players, and an exciting crop of youngsters with the potential to put any question of who the real DBU is to sleep for the next decade. Insert Sterns and Foster joke here.

We know the deal, Texas is going to almost always have five or six defensive backs on the field, and sometimes more. Orlando is going to flood the field with athleticism and cover-men while trying to sacrifice as little size and physicality as possible. 

Options abound. 

CB SR Kris Boyd, #2, 6-0, 200: Past: Versatile player with elite athletic traits who played much of his career on offense. Became an avatar for the wavering, attention seeking recruit, though upon further review he was a young man with little guidance who was legitimately torn in many directioins. I was always high on his football character, meaning I saw very little bust potential despite his turbulent recruitment. Present: He held to his eval and was a longer-curve guy, though he's flashed ability since the second he took the field. His junior year was easily his best as he showed more consistency as the season wore on. Future: He's poised for a breakout season in which levels of consistency match his talent. His aggressiveness may bite him a time or two, but this is likely the year UT gets its big tax refund.

CB SR Davante Davis, #18, 6-2, 205: Past: Long, raw, and athletic, Davis profiled to cornerback or safety and was an intriguing piece in a very talented class. Present: He's had an up and down career largely due to mental engagement. He flashed promise as a freshman and then proved far too unreliable for a season and a half. He ended last year on a high note and reports we've received this off-season are favorable. Future: If he can limit mental errors he'll be good, but he has the potential to be much more. Like Boyd, Davis is very solid versus the run.

DB SR PJ Locke, #11, 5-11, 210: Past: Was originally slated to sign with Oregon but Texas had a late need and went in for the steal. He profiled to nickel where he's spent most of his career. Present: Like Boyd and Davis, Locke's play has been too inconsistent. He particularly struggled with run support early in the 2017 season, though he did begin to play better before being injured and missing four games at the end of the year. Future: He played safety in the bowl game and for much of the spring, but early in August camp he's been back at nickel. It isn't hard to imagine any outcome for Locke's finale He could own the position all year and go out on a high note or he could give way to Josh Thompson. He'll be on a shorter leash than last year.

DB SR John Bonney, #24, 6-1, 205: Past: Higher floor player because of mental traits and good quickness, though he didn't have a clear projection thus limiting his ceiling considerably. I had him as a nickel. Present: He's played a lot of football but has not always been put in a position to succeed. He's been a corner where he was out-matched, a robber, a safety, and nickel. Given how much he's moved around, he hasn't been as bad as some think. Future: At a minimum he's excellent depth but he could figure into a bigger role depending on how Todd Orlando wants to field his secondary. Intelligent players often find their way to the field, though the new influx of talent could serve as an impediment.

DB JR Brandon Jones, #19, 6-1, 210: Past: One of the crown jewels of the 2016 class as a do-it-all safety. Present: Active in run support with the ability to get downhill quick from deep. Range in coverage is good, though ball skills have been underwhelming. Struggled playing off of Locke at times, though I'm not sure whose fault that was. Future: As a near five-star he has expectations he has yet to meet but he isn't done growing as a player. It's telling with the influx of talent that his job has never appeared in jeopardy, though that competition is assuredly pushing him to maximize. I expect him to make a jump in level of play similar to Deshon Elliott last season. Thanks to ability in coverage he'll be more prized than Elliott by NFL scouting departments. If you belief in this staff's ability to develop you'd be foolish to not believe in Jones.

DB SO Josh Thompson, #29, 6-o, 200: Past: Played corner alongside Jones in high school but truly came into his own after he replaced the player one year ahead of him. Present: Physically and mentally mature for his age, Thompson has worked at corner, nickel, safety, and joker. Though his play was limited as a freshman, he flashed ability on special teams. Future: He's in a battle with Locke to start at nickel. If that doesn't work out he'll battle for joker. He's a strong presence on the edge with good coverage ability. It's only a matter of time before he finds a home on the field.

DB SO Chris Brown, #15, 5-11, 210: Past: Known primarily for his physicality, Brown also had good coverage skills for a true safety. Present: He redshirted and then played primarily on special teams. Future: Tough to say. He could become valued depth but it's going to be tough to crack the starting line-up the way the staff has recruited.

CB SO Donovan Duvernay, #27, 5-9, 195: Past: Solid athlete in his own right but was overshadowed by his brother Devin. Present: Played very sparingly after a redshirt year. Future: Duvernay is not without ability but he's down the depth chart and the way Texas recruits the position it'll be tough for him to ascend.

CB SO Eric Cuffee, #26, 6-0, 195: Past: One of the better corners in a down instate class but there were still some thought he may be a safety. Present: Redshirted as a freshman and didn't see the field as last year. Future: He is down the depth chart and even with Texas losing Boyd and Davis after this season it will be tough for him to see the field the way Texas has recruited.

CB SO Kobe Boyce, #38, 6-0, 175: Past: Quick-footed and fluid, Boyce looked like a potential field corner. The only question was a dumb one; would he put on weight? Present: He had a productive redshirt season in which he gave his teammates game-like looks and earned consistent praise from the coaches. Future: He's going to play a lot of football for this staff, and will likely even start at some point.

DB FR Montrell Estell, #39, 6-1, 200: Past: Great athlete who toyed with his level of competition on both sides. Safety was my preference but I thought offense was possible as well. Present: He red-shirted but was looking great at safety in bowl practices before injuring his foot. Future: He's set to remain on defense despite the staff's most recent haul of safeties. That says quite a bit about his ability, as well as how the staff views the long-term need at the position (early departures). Even if he doesn't become a starter in the next year or two, he could be an amazing robber in dime looks.

DB FR Caden Sterns, #7, 6-0, 205: Past: Interceptions drew immediate attention to not just his ball skills, but also length, and most importantly instincts. He's a good athlete but it's his mental attributes that set him apart. He's also quick to get downhill in the run game. Present: He's already penciled in at first team boundary safety. Future: With Deshon Elliott we saw how Todd Orlando puts boundary safety in position to ball hawk. If Sterns is starting in a secondary that's this experienced expect a Freshman All American campaign. What happens when the coach on the field is also a certified baller?

CB FR Anthony Cook, #4, 6-0, 190: Past: Technically proficient with quick feet and an aggressive demeanor that belies his baby face and slight build. I personally probably underrated him, though I gave him very high marks in the mental eval department. Present: After enrolling early he's already the third corner. His quick feet, technique, and mental maturity are already receiving rave reviews. Future: He'll play a lot as a freshman and is the heir apparent to Kris Boyd.

DB BJ Foster, #25, 6-2, 210: Past: Two-way player who is good enough to play running back in college but safety in the NFL. Explosive athlete with good size. Natural football player with baseline NFL everything. Present: He's more raw than Sterns but a better overall athlete and has impressed nearly as much. Like both Cook and Sterns, he's competitive with high football IQ and character. Future: If he didn't have BJ Jones in front of him, he'd too be a freshman starter. He'll play a lot and could find himself in a number of roles.

DB DeMarvion Overshown, #31, 6-3, 210: Past: Freakish combination of length, explosiveness, fluidity, and physicality. About as uncommon of a composite of raw traits as you'll find. Present: He's working at safety thus far but expect him to play joker once the staff installs dime. Future: He'll likely prove too good to not play this season in his narrow role. Once he understands his role, he allows you to still play big while going small. Could very well grow into Gary Johnson's replacement but let's take it a season at a time.

CB Jalen Green, #3, 6-0, 185: Past: He was the best athlete on the field regardless of who he shared it with. Played quarterback because that's where he was needed to win games but he's an extremely high upside corner. Present: Feisty player with plenty of athleticism, but like Boyd before him he's lacking skill at the position as well as reps. Future: He always had a much longer road to the field than his contemporary Cook, but once he catches up mentally he could become the best corner the school has produced in a long, long time. Expect him too learn a lot this year before becoming a starter in his second season.

How it looks going into the season:

Boyd and Davis will be your opening day corners, and probably throughout the year. Assuming they play to their talents, they'll allow the staff to bring the young corners along at their own pace. 

Safety should be somewhat solidified already with Jones and Sterns. Jones, the junior, should become a vocal leader and Sterns will be playing like a veteran by mid-season. 

Nickel and joker are a bit more up in the air. Locke and Thompson will battle it out for nickel with the loser of that battle potentially becoming the joker. 

Because of their talent, you must keep an eye on Foster and Overshown. Depending on how they want to employ the joker it could fit either one of those special youngsters. 

I also don't want to give short shrift to a guy like Bonney. With his experience at each position he is a fine player for the youngsters to look up to. He's also capable of filling in at four places, and maybe even making a big play like we saw versus OU last year.

This is the most NFL talent Texas has had in the secondary since the '05 season. Though much of it is young, fans should be excited to see how Orlando deploys it, especially with a defensive front that should get pressure on the quarterback.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Speaking of Hammad the desert snowflake, what ever became of him/her?