Best way to divert water run off from street

My house gets all of the street runoff and it pools in front of our driveway and on street directly in front of our house.

There are no gutters on our street that would allow me to even sweep/blow water into.

The city is kind of like "tough shit" we won't help. (we have called 311 and had them come out)

Any ideas? I am considering/looking to find some preform concrete barriers (just to extend out of curb and block at least worst of it) but all that frankly does is back it up to neighbors house which is kind of a dick move.

I am unsure if I could pay someone to come out and somehow slope the street in front of house differently to direct rainwater to street.

Thanks in advance for ideas/help.

preemptive yes I am sure that after all of surly takes a run at my mom I could lay her in front of house and water would flow directly into her well of souls.

• Like 1

Ok am traveling this week but will when I get back. 

One place we called said since it’s the curb and technically city property they won’t do it. 

I’d even buy a concrete ramp/or form I just laid by curb pushing water in other directions if that was an option. 

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:33 AM, BrazilHorn said:

I am considering/looking to find some preform concrete barriers (just to extend out of curb and block at least worst of it) but all that frankly does is back it up to neighbors house which is kind of a dick move.

This is the main concern I would have.  Apart from being a dick move, if you construct any improvements that result in increased runoff on a neighbor's property, you might open yourself up to a lawsuit.

Assuming with no curb and gutter there isn't a sidewalk, either... Just street then your property that is....grass?  Landscaped?  I'm thinking a French drain with a box. And yes, I French drained your mom's box last night. 

This is the main concern I would have.  Apart from being a dick move, if you construct any improvements that result in increased runoff on a neighbor's property, you might open yourself up to a lawsuit.

Well duh. Aint surlyians kinda known for pulling dick moves.
Oh yea, your mom pulled my dick and it moved last night

The only time I laid down a motorcycle was 20+ years ago.  I had too much to drink and somehow made it from a waiter party at a pool hall off riverside back to my house in Circle C, I was on my last turn and wiped out, b/c I didn't see someones lawn water overflowing on the street on my last turn.  Luckily I was only going 2 mph.  

That's all I got.

1 hour ago, BNB said:

The only time I laid down a motorcycle was 20+ years ago.  I had too much to drink and somehow made it from a waiter party at a pool hall off riverside back to my house in Circle C, I was on my last turn and wiped out, b/c I didn't see someones lawn water overflowing on the street on my last turn.  Luckily I was only going 2 mph.  

That's all I got.

I think there's video of you BNB

MasculineDistantAfricanharrierhawk-size_

Edited by orange dream

2 minutes ago, orange dream said:

I think there's video of you BNB

MasculineDistantAfricanharrierhawk-size_

That was me.  I parked my bike on an incline, I mounted it, and layed it over immediately.  My friends helped me make it upright and I drove home from there.  I probably had a couple pitchers of beer.  Stupid young BNB.

On 8/25/2018 at 2:59 PM, pops said:

Assuming with no curb and gutter there isn't a sidewalk, either... Just street then your property that is....grass?  Landscaped?  I'm thinking a French drain with a box. And yes, I French drained your mom's box last night. 

Sorry. Hasn’t rained so no pics. (Don’t feel like setting up mosquito nesting site for pic purposes) Yes no sidewalk and amazingly enough there are no gutters on street for me even blow/sweep water into. 

It’s mostly runoff from neighboring yards coming down and in effect pooling in front of our yard. Similar to the massive amounts of jizz pooling in my mom from the Surly train. 

On 9/2/2018 at 2:04 PM, BrazilHorn said:

Sorry. Hasn’t rained so no pics. (Don’t feel like setting up mosquito nesting site for pic purposes) Yes no sidewalk and amazingly enough there are no gutters on street for me even blow/sweep water into. 

It’s mostly runoff from neighboring yards coming down and in effect pooling in front of our yard. Similar to the massive amounts of jizz pooling in my mom from the Surly train. 

Is it on your property o in the right of way? The city/county has an obligation to make the R/W drain. It sounds like it's graded to a low point at your driveway with no outfall.

Dont know what your 'hood is like, but in my parents' nawf Dallas hood, for a while, all the McMansions in northern Dallas, covering too much open land themselves and with paving, and the nearby mcmansions with the same problem, caused all the older houses on the block's crawlspaces to fill with water (groundwater), and a few had rivers running down their driveway adjacent the perimeter beam where the water would actually pour in through the vents.

City couldn't do anything immediately, but the building code was changed and new construction couldn't cover more than a certain percentage of the lot with impermeable structure (lot of decomposed granite these days).

The answer for private property was the aforementioned french drain and related drainage solutions.

However, if the water is pooling in the ROW, as noted, you may actually have action against the city.

I have a similar issue, but the HOA is going to pay $3k to add some asphalt and create a drainage area that runs down into a greenbelt beside/behind us. Have you tried to lobby for your HOA to pay for something like this?