All Things Brisket

kevwun

Figure 40% loss. And you’ll want to rest them before you cooler them, otherwise they’ll continue to cook.

Were it me, I would let them come down to 180ish and then cooler them. They’ll hold for 4-5 hours as long as you don’t keep opening the cooler

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:02 AM, utee94 said:

Briskets are commonly cooked as roasts in various food cultures.  I don't think it's a particularly tasty treatment of the cut, but as long as they don't claim it's BBQ'd brisket then I'm fine with it.

And then there's these guys...

20160801-sous-vide-brisket-guide-35.jpg

uhhhmmmm...did these dudes really slice that med rare brisket with the grain?  deer lowered.  

Edited by pepper brooks

7.5lb prime over hickory.  ~14 hours at 225*.  This was a very good eatin’ brisket.  I’m getting to where I can consistently get the tenderness I’m going for, but still chasing the consistent kamado smoke ring (yeah, yeah, doesn’t add to flavor but I like the look).

32348256247_e9c8858276_c.jpg

The slice below is ~pencil width.  That’s the bend/pull I like.

32348255827_673b91a22b_c.jpg

• Like 5

never done a beef rib smoke before.  those of you who have - its pretty much like a brisket, right.  salt and pepper and then bring up to xx temperature?

ive done lovely pork ribs using "BRITU" but that used a very specific rub

1 hour ago, solamente73 said:

7.5lb prime over hickory.  ~14 hours at 225*.  This was a very good eatin’ brisket.  I’m getting to where I can consistently get the tenderness I’m going for, but still chasing the consistent kamado smoke ring (yeah, yeah, doesn’t add to flavor but I like the look).

Looks dry as fuck. 

2 hours ago, solamente73 said:

Smoke ring is temperature based.  You need to be cold on the front end of the smoke.  You can do that with running temp or meat temp.

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

never done a beef rib smoke before.  those of you who have - its pretty much like a brisket, right.  salt and pepper and then bring up to xx temperature?

Temperature? Say whaaaaaat?

Salt to pepper ratio 1:11,000,000,000ty

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:04 AM, 52-80 said:

pretty much brisket on a stick, but done in 3-5 hours rather than 8-12.  

Champ...perhaps odd question...but I picked up on this somewhere and I have heard it's a thing and it's been suggested to me that Franklin might do it. Source may be way off. Do you put butter over your briskets before you wrap them? Have you heard of this before?