All Things Brisket

kevwun

Champ...perhaps odd question...but I picked up on this somewhere and I have heard it's a thing and it's been suggested to me that Franklin might do it. Source may be way off. Do you put butter over your briskets before you wrap them? Have you heard of this before? 

I know they use butter with their turkey. Would be surprised to learn they do it with brisket. Brisket has plenty of fat, and once you wrap, they pretty much self baste.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Any traditional brick and mortar store where I can pick up pink butcher paper? I usually order it off of Amazon but need to pick some up on my way down to Houston today. 

In a pinch I can just use foil but I prefer butcher paper. 

Not sure of the color (it's not white; I think it's pink) but Ace Restaurant Supply has butcher paper in the large roles--for me, probably a lifetime supply.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TornACL said:

Any traditional brick and mortar store where I can pick up pink butcher paper? I usually order it off of Amazon but need to pick some up on my way down to Houston today. 

I bet Texas Star Grill shop on 59 and Shepherd has some.

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

you could also stop by a butcher shop and offer them a few bucks for a length of theirs.  They'll probably give it to you gratis. 

I guarantee you Pete's Fine Meats on Richmond would.  The owner is the nicest guy in the world.  He always gives me free shit, and I certainly don't ask for it.  Once I mentioned I would bring in my next deer for processing.  He goes in the back and grabs 10 links of venison sausage and gives it to me.  He gave several really nice knives a couple months ago.  I am a regular customer.  He does the same for friends of mine who are customers.

Ace Mart has it. Or you can run by my shop and I’ll hook you up

I will probably regret posting this, but "greater good" and all....
Walmart regularly has choice grade CAB briskets for, wait for it, $1.96/lb. That's a solid dollar cheaper than RD or any of the wholesalers that I buy from. Wally is getting a ton of money from me lately because of that. Its hilarious to see their faces when I'm rolling out a basket full of briskets at 0400.

I year bump: still the case? Don’t want to go to Walmart and catch the aids if I don’t have to do so

Thanks all. I ended up running late so I had to just roll in planning to use foil. Then I was reminded upon arrival that my drunk ass left paper here last year. 

Doing two hot and fast briskets for the first time, with heavy alcohol consumption. Pray for me. 

I asked Ben E Keith yesterday about their 1855 brisket which is CAB Choice and the untrimmed case was $4/lb.  Not sure how much lower you could get them with negotiating, I don’t buy my stuff from them so I’m sure they didn’t give me the best deal over the phone for a will call.

16 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

Yeah if they’re still $1.96 a lb that is basically stealing. Wholesale price on upper choice angus is mid $3 per lb

They also had some of those last week.  That is what I ended up getting because I found 2 that were the size I wanted.  I think they were 3.60 something a pound.

14 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

I asked Ben E Keith yesterday about their 1855 brisket which is CAB Choice and the untrimmed case was $4/lb.  Not sure how much lower you could get them with negotiating, I don’t buy my stuff from them so I’m sure they didn’t give me the best deal over the phone for a will call.

1855 is not CAB. Its just black angus. And its not worth the premium over IBP upper choice. I use 1855 for beef ribs, ribeyes, and tenderloin. But having cooked a fair number of both the 1855 brisket and IBP upper choice, there isn't a noticeable difference. Certainly not one that is worth the extra cost.  And $4/lb is highway robbery. You can get 44Farms or Creekstone Prime for that price.

I’m sure you could get them at a much better price through the rep than just calling in.  I asked one of the Texas top 50 which brisket he used and he said the 1855, out of curiosity I called my BEK will call desk and that’s what they offered.  Curious about the tenderloins and the filets, I thought about buying them for the house and freezing them. I ate at a steakhouse last night that I am almost positive uses 1855 beef and the filet was fuckin incredible. 

On 3/9/2019 at 11:28 AM, thunderlounge said:

Y'all fuckers are way off the mark. It's not the liquid smoke, nor the turkey pan.

It's the chemical interaction between the french dressing and and the liquid smoke that makes it all come together for a nice ring.

melting indiana jones GIF

I don't want to hijack Champ's Bucks BBQ thread anymore so I'll post here. 

I've been cooking briskets for a long time, but I felt like the extended hold + 'new' (to me) slicing method was a game changer. My oven only goes as low as 170 so I wound up trying to hold temps betw 140 and 150 by leaving it open a crack. I didn't want to have juice dripping onto the burners so I used an aluminum foil serving pan to hold the wrapped brisket. I wound up holding it for about 16 hours due to dinner timing. I was pleased with the results. 

I'm not a lean guy. I know some people are. If I'm ever just cooking for myself and my kid and a few others who like the fatty part, anyone ever chop the brisket before cooking? I figure I could use the flat with the fat cap on and grind it for sausage or burgers or something. I'm sure it would also drastically reduce cooking time. 

46833067134_98391dc01e_c.jpg

On 4/7/2019 at 12:35 PM, utee94 said:

Looks tasty, I'd eat that.

But why you gots to hate on lean?  Lean is delicious when it's cooked right.  I much prefer its texture over the fatty.

To each their own, buddy. Man I think the combo of the lean + the point on that cross catch slicing wizardy is absolutely perfect. I'm kind of pissed at myself that I never tried it before this weekend. 

Hey @ChampKind, what is the cooking loss on whole pigs?  Probably going to do a much smaller one this time, like 20 or 30 pounds so I can cook it on my smoker.  We had way too much leftover meat when I did an 80 lbs one a few years ago.

Edited by kevwun

Hey [mention=286]ChampKind[/mention], what is the cooking loss on whole pigs?  Probably going to do a much smaller one this time, like 20 or 30 pounds so I can cook it on my smoker.  We had way too much leftover meat when I did an 80 lbs one a few years ago.

Cook it skin side down the whole way and probably only 30% loss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, that's my plan.  I don't think I will even have to rotate it around on my smoker.  I have my tuning plates dialed in where there's only about 10 or 15 degrees difference across the cooking chamber so if I face the head towards the firebox, it should be good to go.

Thanks, that's my plan.  I don't think I will even have to rotate it around on my smoker.  I have my tuning plates dialed in where there's only about 10 or 15 degrees difference across the cooking chamber so if I face the head towards the firebox, it should be good to go.

Legs toward the fire. That goes for chickens, pigs and chupacabras.

Curious, not that I am gonna go out and try to become a 'cue master on the smoker but what exactly do you guys do that makes brisket so tender and flavorful? I have tried brisket at a bunch of BBQ joints, all over Alabama and none of them do it anywhere close to every place I tried in TX. FWIW, none of the TX locations were as good at pork(ribs, pulled pork) as most places in AL. Sausage, especially the jap sausage, was better overall in TX, as well. Although, Saw's in Bham has awesome smoked sausage and boudin.

Tried a new joint, here locally and regretted it. They did not do even the pork staples correct and seemed to think they did great brisket. I had to disabuse them of that notion. Gonna hafta stick to the one really good local joint(by local, I mean in my town, better places around the state), even if they also cannot do brisket justice, they have really good dry rub ribs and pulled pork.

Edited by bamachine

We've got a charity crawfish boil event at our office w/ teams from a bunch of different businesses in the industry.  I'm in charge of our BBQ team to cater to those who don't like mudbugs.  I think they're expecting around 2,000+ people, so I'm planning on having enough Q for ~500.  I was going to do briskets, but we were worried that too many people would forgo crawfish if they knew there was brisket available.  I'm thinking we'll do ~150lbs of pork butts for pulled pork sandwiches.  If nothing else, it's a good excuse to buy some bear paws for the cook team.  I might buy a brisket and sneak that in as well for the cooks since we're going to have to tend the pit for that long anyway.  It's the first Friday in May, so I'll try to snap some pics along the way.

29 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

salt, pepper, oak, fire, time. 

it really is this and not much else. unless you're a very skilled craftsman like Champ, and can get a brisket to taste like time was involved but he really cooks hot and fast. For the average weekend smoker it is really as simple as:

Start with a good cut of brisket.  Maybe that is prime grade, maybe it's choice, whatever.  just make sure it's well marbled and pliable in the packaging

Salt and Pepper.  use whatever ratio of each you like. Some like 50/50 others 2/3-1/3.  Whatever, there is not magic brisket rub.  Salt and pepper is all that is need to let the beef shine. 

Oak.  It's my favorite followed by pecan.  I actually did a brisket over red oak recently that was totally spectacular as well.  THey gave me the wrong wood, and I didn't notice until I went to start the fire.  Went ahead with it because I had no choice.  It was nice and mild.  would have no hesitation about using it again, but I still prefer post oak.  

Time may be the most important factor.  I like to smoke on the higher end of the range at the beginning of the cook.  225-250.  I have experimented with solid results of getting it up to 275 to power through the stall when it is prolonged.  That was advice CHamp gave me, and it worked out great.  I have also basically let the smaller brisket sit in the stall under very low heat 200ish with really good results.  Let them rest.  This cannot be overstated.  LET THEM REST.  I put mine in a well insulated cooler for 2-4 hours once they reach about 185-190.  CHamp says let them rest to 180 after taking off the pit, then wrap them and rest them.  If you wrap and rest in the cooler at temps higher than 180 they can get very mushy.  After the rest, if I have time I will throw them back on the pit unwrapped for 30 minutes just to firm up the crust a bit.  

That is basically it in a nutshell.  If you want great brisket it can be done simply, but it is going to take time.  At least that is my experience. 

Oh...and for it to officially be bbq vinegar must touch the meat at some point in the process.  

Edited by pepper brooks
  • Like 3

I think that may be the step they seem to miss on brisket here, the resting part. Most of it is lacking in flavor and too tough. Also, the vinegar, do you use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar. Do you just baste with it or marinate it before putting the salt and pepper rub on it?

If it is too tough, it probably wasn't cooked long enough. 

My basic approach: rub liberally with salt pepper 1:1 (by weight).  If you really want the rub to adhere, you can slather it with some mustard but this really isn't necessary in my opinion. Cook @ 275 until done, spritz with sprayer filled with apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and a little water every once in a while during cooking. Wrap in butcher paper once you have a nice bark color. Determining doneness is the hardest part imo. I still am not confident determining when to pull based on feel alone, so I usually pull when internal temp in 203-205ish range. 

59 minutes ago, bamachine said:

I think that may be the step they seem to miss on brisket here, the resting part. Most of it is lacking in flavor and too tough. Also, the vinegar, do you use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar. Do you just baste with it or marinate it before putting the salt and pepper rub on it?

I simply mix up some worchestershire and beef broth, and give the brisket a very light spray with this solution before I put the rub on.  a VERY thin coat mustard works too.  Both of those things contain vinegar so you meet specifications without really doing anything to alter the meat, and those things also help the rub stick to the meat.  

Edited by pepper brooks
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

If it is too tough, it probably wasn't cooked long enough. 

My basic approach: rub liberally with salt pepper 1:1 (by weight).  If you really want the rub to adhere, you can slather it with some mustard but this really isn't necessary in my opinion. Cook @ 275 until done, spritz with sprayer filled with apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and a little water every once in a while during cooking. Wrap in butcher paper once you have a nice bark color. Determining doneness is the hardest part imo. I still am not confident determining when to pull based on feel alone, so I usually pull when internal temp in 203-205ish range. 

Mustard, apple cider and Worchestershire on BRISKET?????