All Things Brisket

kevwun

Yeah I know.  I've been through this whole thread and I appreciate your advice all through it.  But over-engineering is what I do.  I like new toys. 

And as a single dad I tend to have lots of leftovers that take a while to get through, so the new toys might help me have less rotten shit in my fridge.  

I've been asked to cook for a Holiday party for a 130 folks. They want brisket, chicken and sausage, they are buying the meat. 
How much would you charge to cook?

I don’t cook for anyone unless I (or someone that I trust) buy the meat.

You’re going to end up with both 8 & 18lb briskets, whole chickens that you’ll have to break down and the cheapest Eckridge sausage that they can find.

Ultimately you need to charge what your time is worth.

Believe this man.

You’re going to end up with both 8 & 18lb briskets, whole chickens that you’ll have to break down and the cheapest Eckridge sausage that they can find.

2 hours ago, luke duke said:

225a0be2da177e67a1340c2f0a9a7f66.jpg

Next week’s special at Buck’s Barbeque. [mention=286]ChampKind[/mention]

I get their emails and saw that, have you or anyone ever ordered from them? They have a5 strips, ribeyes and filets, was thinking of ordering a couple

30 minutes ago, Smax said:

I get their emails and saw that, have you or anyone ever ordered from them? They have a5 strips, ribeyes and filets, was thinking of ordering a couple

On their email list, too. Would love to know if it is worth it to order from them. 

2 hours ago, Smax said:

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/132-i-pledge-to-post-more-pictures-of-this-steak/&do=findComment&comment=58781

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/132-i-pledge-to-post-more-pictures-of-this-steak/&do=findComment&comment=281989

I think that the filets would be awesome.

Edited by luke duke
  • Haha 1

Cross posting from the BGE thread but here’s the only pic I got of a 13.5 lb prime packer I did last night for the last GT home game.

7e5f3da7be521579cb39936887918a51.jpg

I spent my first 30+ years in Georgia believing that BBQ = pig. Hell I was raised on a hog farm. Then I went to work for Dell for five years and spent a lot of time in Texas. Even ducked out of training to go to Lockhart.

All of the tough cuts have their place, and I’ll always be partial to whole hog, but when you do a good brisket for Georgians their minds are just blown. Guy with all the resources in the world just told me, “You are NEVER trying my brisket.” (Implying that he can’t hang.)

Smoke on gentlemen. Go Jackets and Hook Em.

• Haha 1

I broke my rule this weekend because it was free and this is what I ended up with. I had to start cooking a couple of hours earlier that I would have liked.

e7da2524426f3765c5f2261c4cd149c1.jpg

On 11/17/2018 at 11:59 AM, Buzzrock said:

Cross posting from the BGE thread but here’s the only pic I got of a 13.5 lb prime packer I did last night for the last GT home game.

7e5f3da7be521579cb39936887918a51.jpg

I spent my first 30+ years in Georgia believing that BBQ = pig. Hell I was raised on a hog farm. Then I went to work for Dell for five years and spent a lot of time in Texas. Even ducked out of training to go to Lockhart.

All of the tough cuts have their place, and I’ll always be partial to whole hog, but when you do a good brisket for Georgians their minds are just blown. Guy with all the resources in the world just told me, “You are NEVER trying my brisket.” (Implying that he can’t hang.)

Smoke on gentlemen. Go Jackets and Hook Em.

looks dry af

• Like 2

I broke my rule this weekend because it was free and this is what I ended up with. I had to start cooking a couple of hours earlier that I would have liked.

e7da2524426f3765c5f2261c4cd149c1.jpg
A couple hours early. That is the one thing I find wrong about Costco briskets is they are always on the big side. Anytime I can find a 10-12 pounder, I grab it.
Hope you cranked the heat up and wrapped.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Converted a cheap Coleman cooler to a sous vide rig for briskets. I put links to everything you need in the sous vide thread. $54 total if you need to buy the hole saw. The cooler lid isn’t insulated so I got a can of low expansion spray foam to fill the holes on the end.

ac3c20bbb3bea738f05209e1d71f75c6.jpg

854a6c46ac9f52bc13800a85841405be.jpg

• Like 3

The expansion foam was a nice touch.  I made one, pics on the previous page, and it did the trick for Thanksgiving.  Smoked it on my offset Monday, rested it, vacuum sealed it, and froze it.  Reheated it in the Igloo sous vide Thursday morning.  It was juicier than your mom (is it awkward if I say that?).  I did't split the lid on mine.  Just need to turn off the sous vide  before opening so it doesn't spray.  

0-F69704-D-A84-C-442-F-9-C0-E-D63-F7-A13

16 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I made one, pics on the previous page, and it did the trick for Thanksgiving.  Smoked it on my offset Monday, rested it, vacuum sealed it, and froze it.  Reheated it in the Igloo sous vide Thursday morning. 

You cooked it on a Monday, froze it and reheated it on a Thursday? Freezing it was a total waste.

3 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

One probe has already broken!  Cord pulled right out of the connection.   Glad I had the maverick ready as backup. 

Why did you pick ThermaQ over smoke?

Thermoworks should take care of your warranty replacement. They just sent me a NIB thermapen as a replacement for a cracked casing.

48 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Why did you pick ThermaQ over smoke?

Thermoworks should take care of your warranty replacement. They just sent me a NIB thermapen as a replacement for a cracked casing.

Ironically, because I read somewhere that the Type K probes were better.  And I thought it would be easier with one less device (no gateway needed).  Thanks, I'll give that a try. 

Just now, Mojo Hand said:

Ironically, because I read somewhere that the Type K probes were better.  And I thought it would be easier with one less device (no gateway needed).  Thanks, I'll give that a try. 

Thermoworks makes expensive shit, but in my experience their warranty service definitely levels it out. 

PS. Should have bought the SMOKE :)