All Things Brisket

kevwun

Weston had a 40% off of their best home use model that ended last night.  It's $200 again now.

https://www.westonsupply.com/Weston-Professional-Advantage-Vacuum-Sealer-p/65-0501-w.htm

Thanks for the heads up. I'll just get in my time machine and order one. I'll also kill Hitler and tell Colt not to run the option.

4 minutes ago, dad said:

Fuck that, for that price i'd rather buy something that is going to control the amount of air that goes into the pit with a fan with a control loop.

Anyone have any experience with one of these setups?  My offset is a massive pain to maintain temp.

Edited by Dr Fear

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

You can also use up to 4 characters to label each probe on the display.  The bands to color code them is also a good idea.

That’s the setup I have now. Color coded, etc. The unit is ok, but not great. I prefer a small remote unit (like a maverick) vice having to use my phone. Mainly because of range, but wi-fi would solve that. 

Probes look pretty stout though, and that seems to be a sticking point for most brands. 

Yeah,  I can see why you have hell with that.  Sometimes people just decide to build a pit and don't really have any understanding of how they work.  With the firebox having that large of a diameter connection to the smoke chamber, I'm not sure how well a bbq guru would work on it.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

Following advice from this thread I made myself a redneck sous vide. Drilled out my old dedicated brisket cooler and dropped my Anova sous vide in. Simple as that. I filled it up most of the way with hot tap water and then I dumped one stock pot of boiling water into it. That alone got the temperature up to 145 instantly. All the sous vide has to do is maintain that temperature. Easy!

I smoked a brisket a few days ago and sliced up just enough for me and my kids to eat that day and vacuum sealed the rest.

For the last couple days I’ve been opening up that vacuum seal, cutting a few more slices off and then resealing it. Heating the slices in their own sealed bag in the sous vide takes about 10 minutes for 3 or 4 slices. I’m on day 3 now and it comes out exactly like it was when I first pulled it off the smoker, with the bark being slightly softer. Same juiciness, same taste.

I rarely cook for enough people to eat a full brisket in one or two sittings so this is an excellent system for me.

Also there was some discussion over the last few pages about the size of vacuum bag for a brisket. Foodsaver makes some pleated expandable bags and that’s what I’ve been using. They are enormous and you will fit any brisket you can buy into them. This one was a 13 pounder when I bought it, about 12 after I trimmed it. Once it shrunk down during the cook, it probably would’ve fit in a standard 11 inch bad without the expandable pleats. But it’s nice to know the expandable bags work well. And they work in any 11” Foodsaver machine.

beab5cf4720e8660ac1430ca18234b15.jpg
a8b31e7498340fba9bd8e307fd9343f8.jpg
65e67c4690e8d35a3dbaa9a9e7d15dc3.jpg
1480241e3fdfc7be6702e00da03391d6.jpg
2ac2c4ffe5074c1e3b08a18f1c3097d7.jpg
fa6e568aa54b3ab8f158fb72b58d3cde.jpg
e5e63ec408ca7e902c22ea9bdea71c67.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, utee94 said:

Actually sounded like a good idea. I just realized I was going to be the first responder and had no choice but to surly it.

Yeah it was smoked the old fashioned way on my stick burner at 250.  About 7 hours on oak, then wrapped in paper.  

I bought the SV and sealer because my dad wants a brisket at Thanksgiving. And I need to cook it 2 days early for logistical reasons and reheat on TG at their house.  My BIL talks a little smack about bbq... don't get me started, he uses a fucking Orion cooker thingy.  This brisket for Thanksgiving has to be worthy of shutting him the fuck up.  So I'm experimenting with a couple new methods of reheating before then.

Two days before? Want my advice? Good, here ya go.

Cook that bitch, wrap it in paper, rest it to room temp’ish, then refrigerate. On Turkey Day, remove from fridge and carefully drive it to Dad’s. Then stick it in the oven at 250* and heat to an internal of 140*, no more, no less. Leave it wrapped until you’re ready to slice it.

You’re over-engineering your process. This ain’t rocket surgery. Its two days.

• Like 2