All Things Brisket

kevwun

On 11/3/2018 at 7:21 AM, ChampKind said:

Two days before? Want my advice? Good, here ya go.

Cook that bitch, wrap it in paper, rest it to room temp’ish, then refrigerate. On Turkey Day, remove from fridge and carefully drive it to Dad’s. Then stick it in the oven at 250* and heat to an internal of 140*, no more, no less. Leave it wrapped until you’re ready to slice it.

You’re over-engineering your process. This ain’t rocket surgery. Its two days.

What if you won't be serving until about an hour after you're done reheating?   Still take it to 140 or go a little higher?   I basically have to do this tomorrow - reheat and then drive it somewhere to be served an hour or so later. 

Warm up your neg cannons.....I am prepared for the punishment

When cleaning out my deep freezer yesterday, I found a Costco prime brisket...from 3/17..(for $2.79/lb!)

I'm trying to figure out what to do with it, but I suppose my first question should be - is it still good?  Cryo bag seems to be fine, doesn't look like there is any frost in the bag.

I was thinking about grinding up some meat for burgers as we are having some buddies over NY day for lunch.  I wasn't planning on doing full brisket but is it possible with this well aged (joke) brisket?  Or will it just taste like ass?

24 minutes ago, Spur08 said:

When cleaning out my deep freezer yesterday, I found a Costco prime brisket...from 3/17..(for $2.79/lb!)

I'm trying to figure out what to do with it, but I suppose my first question should be - is it still good?  Cryo bag seems to be fine, doesn't look like there is any frost in the bag.

I was thinking about grinding up some meat for burgers as we are having some buddies over NY day for lunch.  I wasn't planning on doing full brisket but is it possible with this well aged (joke) brisket?  Or will it just taste like ass?

You never know until you try...

Honestly, if the meat is not freezer-burned it should be OK

19 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Can someone tell me where the brisket refresher course is? It'been about a year and a half since I tried one.

I've used the "bludawg method" a few times. It's a hot-n-fast method, pretty easy, and has always turned out a very good brisket for me. You'll find it posted on various BBQ forums - I've quoted it below. For trimming and seasoning, there is a Franklin video on youtube that's been helpful to me. 

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU

BluDawgs Brisket 

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness. 

1 packer 12-15 lb 
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4" 

Mix your Rub 
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight) 
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly. 

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg 
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB 

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner 
cook Brisket 4 hrs 
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up. 
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr. 
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs. 
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will. 
*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

If the crypto’s is still intact, then it’s fine to smoke.

11 hours ago, Both Tacos said:
22 hours ago, Spur08 said:
Just what I wanted to hear.  Do we have a burger thread?  Anyone typically grind their own?  I've ready where some people have gone full brisket, others a blend w/ various cuts.

I've done a grind of brisket and bacon pieces. Came out great.

There is a meat market up the street from my house that makes jalapeno bacon.  I ground up some of that with brisket and it was the best burger I've ever had.

• Like 1

One of my friend's made pastrami yesterday for the Cowboys game.  Fuck, it was great.  Gonna have to do it soon.  He used this recipe.

https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce/homemade-pastrami-recipe/

He said he bought some pickling spice instead of making the recipe they have for it.

Edited by kevwun

20 hours ago, kevwun said:

One of my friend's made pastrami yesterday for the Cowboys game.  Fuck, it was great.  Gonna have to do it soon.  He used this recipe.

https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce/homemade-pastrami-recipe/

He said he bought some pickling spice instead of making the recipe they have for it.

Reading that recipe with the product insert features made me think of this.

• Like 1

Converted a cheap Coleman cooler to a sous vide rig for briskets. I put links to everything you need in the sous vide thread. $54 total if you need to buy the hole saw. The cooler lid isn’t insulated so I got a can of low expansion spray foam to fill the holes on the end.

ac3c20bbb3bea738f05209e1d71f75c6.jpg

854a6c46ac9f52bc13800a85841405be.jpg

I’ll be trying this out this weekend on a vacuum sealed brisket I smoked at the beginning of December. Should I thaw it first before throwing it in?
What’s the expected amount of time it will take? (Brisket was 14.5 lbs before trimming/smoking)

I take the frozen briskets out of the freezer about 2 days ahead of time and let them thaw out in a fridge.  The day I am reheating it, I take the briskets out of the fridge a couple of hours before I put it in the cooler so that it will start to warm up a little.  I set the water temp at 165 and keep the briskets in for 3 hours.  You may be able to get by with 2, but they have turned out so good at 3 that I haven't wanted to mess with it.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2018 at 10:42 AM, Spur08 said:

Just what I wanted to hear.  Do we have a burger thread?  Anyone typically grind their own?  I've ready where some people have gone full brisket, others a blend w/ various cuts.

I had HEB grind up a whole one an entire packer for some flat-top burgers a long time ago. They were well received.

I would not want to cook these over open flame...

Edited by GringoSalado
ou sucks

54 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I stopped watching at "...from Hollywood California."

First comment (you should go read them):

"Hollywood Dietitian" and "Brisket" don't belong in the same sentence. This is a Roast

Id ram my beef in lisa's throat

Edited by SurlyBDR

My mom does it as a roast from time to time and it's pretty good.  I am a fan.  It's better smoked, but good is good.

Yep. My new bride’s mother does a roasted brisket with onion and grape jelly. She’s a talented cook so, while I was skeptical, I ate it. And it was pretty damned good.
  • Like 1

Actually, aggy figured it out. Their Meat Science Dept has done several comparison tests at Camp Brisket with bbq guys from across the state. So even though I already knew that from my competition/Pappa Charlies days, it has now been scientifically proven. And yeah, I know. Aggy. But still

5 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

been out of the loop for a bit.  is sous vide brisket a thing?

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

Only if you smoke it first, but then where you sous vide smells like smoke too. I don't see the point in doing it sous vide

have to smoke it first either way...

i have found the value of bringing the sous vide process into the brisket equation is if you are making pastrami.