All Things Brisket

kevwun

20 hour smoke session complete with mostly success. 17 lb brisket, 2 racks of ribs, 12 sausages. Forgot about the sausages/was completely wasted and they got a bit...crispy.

First attempt at doing these pre-brisket slicing morsels. They slammed and went hard. 10/10 would do again

fmHeQd5J3W0pDCgnc1pjPNXSZzTEuKu6iG51HTtm

Exposing the missing chunk of the point I used for the above morsels. Bark turned out fantastic.

8bIj2cdmcgDorzZH9_6jJtlQB_o4Tv4uaUFOA0JO

Brisket 4 ways: chunks, fatty, chopped, sliced

5H9FDRMWApreS9vD0vppspwgDn8Tcbzfz0TQmwdU

Money shot on the rest of the point

n_iCOsMqmcNm4OAw90ezgNNAeXg2qvT6-sIfV05W

I believe it passes the hang test.

OuubGyV3AtC4ufbZP1c8k6OrkuZy9IlaInQ2h1Y_

Not brisket, but these turned out alright too.

5EWwFzNlEOdZxxz1S1YlAutGFsaGMcvAIruG4GXw

• Like 6

Nephew smoked brisket over Friday night for out tailgate. He brought an extra one in his cooler for me to take home. It was wrapped in foil inside an aluminum pan - put it in our cooler to keep during the game, then we placed it all inside plastic bags to put in our fridge after getting home.

Took it out of the foil wrapper a while ago, put it back in the pan, and covered it with fresh foil.

We plan to put the pan on a baking sheet to warm it up in the oven, so what temperature & how long for the best results without drying it out?

Just now, dcbc said:

I've heard reheat to 145 F and serve. 

Neither will disappoint, but this is a whole uncut brisket you have to melt everything inside. If it was leftover chunks I'd go to 145 and serve, but you have to cut.  It's gonna be juicy at 155-160 still and get the benefit of rendering the fat again. 

5 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Nephew smoked brisket over Friday night for out tailgate. He brought an extra one in his cooler for me to take home. It was wrapped in foil inside an aluminum pan - put it in our cooler to keep during the game, then we placed it all inside plastic bags to put in our fridge after getting home.

Took it out of the foil wrapper a while ago, put it back in the pan, and covered it with fresh foil.

We plan to put the pan on a baking sheet to warm it up in the oven, so what temperature & how long for the best results without drying it out?

You need to try sealing it in a vac bag and reheating in a 160* water bath. Redneck sous vide in a cooler is fine, but the results are incredible.  I’ll never reheat a whole brisket or large portion any other way again.  

43 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

So bring to temp with sous vide and then light a fire to set the bark? Seems a whole lot easier to leave it in paper and heat in the oven

Yeah, tried that and it doesn’t work as well.  If it’s vacuum-sealed, it works great to do the sous vide (or redneck sous vide), then firm up just a bit on the smoker.  I use a Traeger (yes, I’m lazy, so flame away), so it’s really easy to do a short smoke.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChampKind said:

So bring to temp with sous vide and then light a fire to set the bark? Seems a whole lot easier to leave it in paper and heat in the oven

Nah, bark will be fine out of the bag if you let it rest and cool slightly before bagging it.  Nobody could tell it was yesterday’s brisket the last time I did it.   

12 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You are worse than a terrorist. 

I know.  I used an offset for years and switched.  Sometimes I almost feel bad, except when I get up at 4 am, put it on, and go back to bed, and never have to tend a firebox or worry about temperature control.

Bourbon tastes just as good while using a Traeger, by the way.  Maybe better because I am awake instead of dozing off

• Like 2

I don't think you have to do that either.  You really have to try the sous vide re-heating method to understand just how well it works.  The bark is never crunchy if you wrap, so there's really almost no difference.  The texture and taste of the meat itself is pretty much identical to fresh off the smoker.

• Like 1

Just now, kevwun said:

I don't think you have to do that either.  You really have to try the sous vide re-heating method to understand just how well it works.  The bark is never crunchy if you wrap, so there's really almost no difference.  The texture and taste of the meat itself is pretty much identical to fresh off the smoker.

I do this with ribs and brisket and this man speaks God's truth. 

• Like 1

Anyone have an approach for those of us that choose not to smoke early in the morning for fear of wildlife knocking over the smoker?

An approach where you smoke up to a temperature and then put the meat in the oven overnight?

If this is sacrilegious just post a bunch of pics of Jesus eating BBQ. 

Yes. Smoke it till it gets the color you want, then wrap it and transfer to the oven at the same temp your smoker was running. Cook till done. If in foil, open the foil to let the bark firm up once you pull it from the oven. If in paper, leave it wrapped and let it rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

what size vacuum sealer are y'all sous vide reheaters using? 

I have the standard size Foodsaver. I cut the brisket up into 3-4 serving sized pieces. After the first meal with just my family i typically get 5 bags of brisket to freeze. It reheats very well.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I have the standard size Foodsaver. I cut the brisket up into 3-4 serving sized pieces. After the first meal with just my family i typically get 5 bags of brisket to freeze. It reheats very well.

that's probably out for me, then.  i want to take a brisket to my yankee family OSU-Mich tailgate this year, and i think having a whole meteor is part of the experience. 

that's probably out for me, then.  i want to take a brisket to my yankee family OSU-Mich tailgate this year, and i think having a whole meteor is part of the experience. 

I have never tried to seal a whole cooked brisket. Maybe a small brisket would fit in the larger of the two bags.

Smoking a 14 lb brisket for the game today. Put this thing on last night about 11 and have it steady at around 250. Wrapped this morning in butcher block paper. Normally just do foil so trying this for the first time.

9fff373724ce7d9803292ce4897acea7.jpg