All Things Brisket

kevwun

both were probing soft.  
It was really tender.  Didn't fall apart, but easy to pull apart.  Just a bit dry.
How long did you let it rest and was it still really hot when you cut it? If not rested enough for the muscles to relax and reabsorb the juices, it could be a little dry.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

On 4/20/2019 at 12:54 PM, ChampKind said:

Not if you’re making jerky

Ha!  You're half right.  About 1/3 of the flat was dry.  The rest was delicious.  Fed the good parts to guests, and chopped the rest up for some sammiches.  Not my best effort, but nobody got food poisoning.  Next time, I spring for the Turkey Roaster  with the 150 low end setting, or refrigerate and reheat, or just try to time it where I can toss it in a cooler and bypass any long time on heat.  Original plan was to leave earlier and take the WSM to Houston, but the weather has been so shitty that I decided that was a pain.

Edited by dcbc

Please tell me how a combination of mustard, worcestershire and vinegar would improve a brisket taste.
Nice grammar, by the way
Improving the taste, no idea but it sure as hell doesn't ruin the taste of it. Hard pass ...GTFO You food (and grammar) Nazis need diaf

If that flat was dry I’d suggest it wasn’t quite done cooking. It seems counter-intuitive but the number one reason for dry flats is being underdone. My flats typically probe much closer to 210 (upper choice angus). That looks like a select, which should finish upwards of 210 in the flat.
  • Like 4

Dumbass question... When resting to reabsorb moisture, is this the juice that spills out if you cut too soon or are you talking about collecting some that comes out during the cook.   

I lose a shitton of juice wrapping during the stall. Been wrapping in foil.

If that flat was dry I’d suggest it wasn’t quite done cooking. It seems counter-intuitive but the number one reason for dry flats is being underdone. My flats typically probe much closer to 210 (upper choice angus). That looks like a select, which should finish upwards of 210 in the flat.

Sage advice received.

14 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Took me a long time to figure this out, and have great results since,  Same with cooking pork butt —. I started cooking it longer after I “thought” it was done and finally got the better bark and very tender, easily-pulled pork.

On 4/25/2019 at 9:51 AM, ChampKind said:

Where abouts on the flat are you probing it?

49 minutes ago, strangulation! said:

how do you get the consistent crust all over? mine is usually speckled from salt/pepper flakes and less like one solid crust.

Put on a lot more seasoning.  Also, I add paprika which acts as a carrier for the salt and pepper, and creates an even denser bark.  Also comes out a little more mahogany rather than meteorite black, which I dig.

• Like 1

I ran a 10 lber Friday night. I put it on about midnight and pulled it off around 8 AM. My alarm went off that part of the flat was reading 207 at 7 AM but it was not probing correct in multiple places, despite high readings. I trusted the process Embiid style and held off on pulling it until it was feeling right. It was as high as 221 in some parts of the flat (not sure exactly what that 280+ spike is, I'm assuming one of the probes came out right as I was pulling it off of the pit). 

Here is the session. https://share.fireboard.io/B6590E

Served it at about 8 PM after holding it for 12 hours at 145-150 internal temp. 

It was outstanding. To Champ's point above, it was the moistest flat cut I've ever made. Some of the corners of the fatty section were a bit stringy and loose, but in the middle it was titties. 

40760408233_bbb03c73e4_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I ran a 10 lber Friday night. I put it on about midnight and pulled it off around 8 AM. My alarm went off that part of the flat was reading 207 at 7 AM but it was not probing correct in multiple places, despite high readings. I trusted the process Embiid style and held off on pulling it until it was feeling right. It was as high as 221 in some parts of the flat (not sure exactly what that 280+ spike is, I'm assuming one of the probes came out right as I was pulling it off of the pit). 
Here is the session. https://share.fireboard.io/B6590E
Served it at about 8 PM after holding it for 12 hours at 145-150 internal temp. 
It was outstanding. To Champ's point above, it was the moistest flat cut I've ever made. Some of the corners of the fatty section were a bit stringy and loose, but in the middle it was titties. 
40760408233_bbb03c73e4_o.jpg
Did you hold it in the oven for 12 hours to keep that internal temp?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes. My oven only goes down to 170. What I have found works best is to set it to ~ 185 and leave it open as little as I can before the spring kicks in and forces it closed. I put a probe on the grates, 3rd rack up. I also have a pizza steel I am keeping on the bottom rack. I am not sure how that affects the heat distribution, I'm just too lazy to remove it. As you can see from the graph it works pretty well at holding temps steady. 

7 hours ago, elfenix said:

houston walmart has choice packers $1.99/lb this week

Houston Walmart has choice grade angus packers for $1.96/lb all-day, err-day. Used to buy my briskets there (and actually had to buy a dozen there two weekends ago bc....failed to plan ahead).

• 2 weeks later...

Question- I’m smoking a brisket tomorrow but will have limited access to the kitchen because a cabinet guy is going to be working in there.  Can you put the salt and pepper rub on the night before and let it sit in the fridge, or will the salt draw out too much moisture and melt?  If I have to I’ll just rub it down in a pan outside while the smoker is getting going.