2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

49 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

not that it would be a reason to not make this move, but i am very curious how this plays in the clubhouse. jake seems to be very well liked and has been playing a lot better recently.

I’m more curious to see how it plays on the scoreboard. 

If they send Kemp down now and Tucker gets his ass kicked, requiring Kemp to be brought back up after like a month or so, then the Astros would not be able to send Kemp down again without putting him through waivers, which Kemp likely would not clear. 

Yeah but that’s a next year problem. You can send a guy up and down as many times as you want within a year and only lose one option?

I mean I get your point... no need to burn his last option unnecessarily at this point. Just trying to make sure I understand this correctly.

10 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Yeah but that’s a next year problem. You can send a guy up and down as many times as you want within a year and only lose one option?

I mean I get your point... no need to burn his last option unnecessarily at this point. Just trying to make sure I understand this correctly.

Yes I believe that’s correct. 

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/minor-league-options

An option applies to an entire season, meaning that a player can be sent to the Minors and recalled to the Majors any number of times over the course of a season while only losing one option. If he is again optioned to the Minors for 20 or more days in the following season, he would lose his second option and can once again be optioned to the Minors and recalled any number of times that year. The same is true of a player's third option year.

According to this players don't have a specific number of options, they have option YEARS in which they can be sent down multiple times.

1. If Tiucker goes 0-4 today, half this thread will be ready to DFA or trade him. It happened with Bregman.

2. Jake got sent down because he needs everyday at bats, he’s close to turning the corner at the plate, he needs to groove his swing. His spot might be gone when he’s ready.

3. Fisher needs to be traded ASAP for prospects 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Mostly already covered above but this will be an option year for both Kemp and Marisnick.  Jake hasn't been down for 20 days yet but I don't think he will be back up before hitting that.  Kemp is out of options after this year but Jake somehow still has another option year left after this one.

Yeah the jake still having an option year left is surprising... considering he debuted 3 years (2013) before Kemp (2016)... but until this year, Jake was seemingly established at the MLB level while Kemp has always been that guy that moves up and down to fill holes at the MLB level

39 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

1. If Tiucker goes 0-4 today, half this thread will be ready to DFA or trade him. It happened with Bregman.

2. Jake got sent down because he needs everyday at bats, he’s close to turning the corner at the plate, he needs to groove his swing. His spot might be gone when he’s ready.

3. Fisher needs to be traded ASAP for prospects 

1. The fact it happened with Bregman is the reason I don’t think people would freak out. 

2. Maybe you just have to chance it with Marisnick. Too bad we can’t keep him in Houston and demote White, but I understand the need for infield depth right now. 

3. If Fisher goes somewhere else and becomes a career .280 hitter...good for him. I’d rather it be in the NL, in part because he could get more PH and PR opportunities. 

Edited by Gut Wagon

3 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

I like Jake, but...

<iframe seamless="seamless" style="width: 100%; border: none; display: block; max-width: 420px; height: 360px;" src="https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/embed/101d9f20-f4c5-4c56-b1d5-003d32f6de87?autoplay=false"> </iframe>

I appreciate that this was edited and still doesn't work (at least on my phone)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’m pro re-signing marwin at this moment in the season 

That one clutch hit every month is doing it for ya?

I know he provides flexibility on defense, but holy fuck, it ain't like the Astros are spread thin with depth.

Sick of his bullshit at the plate.

2 hours ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Marwin should be required to give up his number. 

Iswydt....but the mlb app is showing Tucker as #3

If Luhnow sticks around awhile we could be on our way to having all the single digits retired, like the Yankees 

Hot off the press from Kaplan:

As they prepare for the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, the Astros have targeted relievers they view as definitive upgrades to their bullpen. Any acquisition they make will be with an eye toward constructing what they view as the optimal playoff roster to match up against the likes of the Yankees, Red Sox, Indians and Mariners.

The same goes for decisions to call up players internally from their minor league system. This is the impetus for the timing of Saturday’s highly anticipated promotion of touted outfield prospect Kyle Tucker. If the 21-year-old, left-handed hitter is one of their best five or so outfielders for October, the Astros want enough time to know for sure.

“The reality is we’re having a great season, but we need to make sure that we’ve got the best 25 men on the roster come October and we want to give him enough time to get acclimated and to become a part of the team,” Astros president of baseball operations Jeff Luhnow said.

Tucker, who will debut in Saturday afternoon’s game against the White Sox, will garner near-everyday playing time in left field and occasional time in right field. His call-up from Class-AAA Fresno comes as the Astros await the return of their cleanup hitter, Carlos Correa, who hasn’t played since June 25 because of a sore back. Tucker, who will bat seventh on Saturday, should lengthen their already deep lineup.

Baseball America regards Tucker as the eighth-best prospect in baseball, one spot behind Astros pitching prospect Forrest Whitley. Houston demoted Jake Marisnick to Class AAA to clear a spot for Tucker, which indicates George Springer will start in center field regularly and in right field less often. Tony Kemp figures to lose at-bats to Tucker and will see an increase in his center field reps when Springer is either in right, at designated hitter or has a day off.

Tucker played only 80 games in Class AAA this season on top of just 72 in Class AA last year. A stellar spring training advanced his already aggressive timeline. Then as one of the youngest players in the Pacific Coast League, he batted .306/.371/.520 in 371 plate appearances.

“Defense is going to be important, and we certainly take a hit when we send down a guy like Jake because he’s, in my opinion, one of the best defensive outfielders in baseball,” Luhnow said. “He’s going to have to make sure he does all of the fundamental things right. But I expect he’s going to hit and he’s going to hit for power. We’re going to face a lot of good right-handed pitchers the rest of the season and possibly in the postseason and he’ll be an important part if he does what everybody expects him to.”

An upcoming slew of right-handers against whom the right-handed hitting Marisnick wasn’t likely to garner much playing time was one reason he found himself the odd man out. The Astros also felt the left-handed hitting Kemp had also earned the right to maintain his spot behind his .295/.385/.410 line in 126 plate appearances. Marisnick was batting a dreadful .190/.235/.359 in 163 plate appearances but because of his elite defense has still been worth 1.0 WAR, according to Baseball Reference’s version of the metric.

Marisnick’s demotion certainly doesn’t preclude him from playing a role for the Astros later in the season or in the postseason. He’s still an intriguing option for any playoff roster because of his potential value as a late-game defensive replacement or pinch runner.

“It was hard for Jake, and it should be,” Astros manager A.J. Hinch said of the demotion. “He’s had a rollercoaster season going up and down. This will be his second time. The first go-around, he was really needing to go correct some things. The second go-around, he was doing a lot better and things were out of his control a little bit as to him going down to Triple A. There are still some offensive adjustments we want him to make. But it’s very fitting that he makes an incredibly good diving catch on the day that we know that we’re going to send him down. He can contribute to a lot of wins. We told Jake he is going to factor in either very soon or as the season progresses because he can be on a winning team and should be on a winning team.”

Hinch met with Kemp on Saturday morning to outline what Tucker’s promotion means for him and reassure him he’s earned his roster spot.

“[Kemp] came up and won the right to stay in the big leagues,” Hinch said. “When a transaction happens, we talk a lot about the guy we sent down but there are some guys that we kept that earned the right to be here. I’m very proud of what Tony’s contributed to this team. It hasn’t always been fair for him in the last couple of years, and I wanted to remind him that the work he’s done continues. We want him to continue to be a spark. He’s going to still play. He’s going to play [sunday]. There’s a role for him on this team.”

Tucker learned of his promotion Friday night in about the fourth inning of Fresno’s home game against Las Vegas. Lee Meyer, the Grizzlies’ trainer, called him into the clubhouse, where minor league field coordinator Josh Bonifay delivered the news. Tucker got a ride to Sacramento, where he caught a redeye flight to Houston.

“It was special,” the even-keeled Tucker said hours later in the home clubhouse at Minute Maid Park. “It’s awesome just to be here.”

“We’ve got to see if he can be a part of what we’re doing for this season,” Hinch said. “I think he’s earned the right to get the at-bats and come up. He made an incredibly strong impression in the spring and he’s continued that in Triple A. So, he’s going to get an opportunity to get some at-bats and join a team that he doesn’t have to be necessarily the guy on or the man on or he doesn’t have to carry us. He’s joining an already good team while he gets his feet wet.”

• Like 2

correa is eligible to come off, so not sure what's up with his progress.  i'm sure someone can look it up, but we seem to win pretty often when he's out, so maybe we're babying it a little.  i really hope they don't just choose to give him the asb to recover, that's another 9 games.

we had a 13 game stretch going into the break.

2 @tx, 4 vs cws, 4 vs oak, 3 vs det.

i wanted 9-4.  so far we're 4-0.

I wrecked my back about the same time Correa went down.  I realize I’m not playing pro ball, but my back is now 100% and I’m 45 years old and don’t have access to world class therapists.  What’s taking this pussy so long?

Misdiagnosis - yours was a sprained labia.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Wait, disregard that post above. I forgot that you lose an option when you get sent to a minor league affiliate at the end of spring training, so he’s already used his option for this season. 

Not sure why then they kept Kemp up. 

To help win games.