2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

I still can’t believe the fan support we keep getting on the road.
The crowd noise when we do something good blows my mind. 
I guess that’s what happens when you win a World Series. 
I love it, but still have a hard time wrapping my mind around it. 

All the orange...I love it when it comes time for guys like springer/Correa/Bregman to be free agents.

I could see a guy like Eovaldi like HG has been saying.

It sounds a bit crazy but as much as Hinch has been harping on resting the starters, Eovaldi makes more and more sense the more I think about it. I’m not convinced Hinch isn’t going to go to a 6 man rotation in September. They’d prefer to have seen what Whitley could do, but his suspension and injury, I bet they are calling it and not counting on him being a factor this year.

-With Eovaldi, you have a guy that made his first appearance the week of Memorial Day, so like Keuchel and LMJ last year, he won’t be overworked going into September/ October.
-Gives you protection against an injury to the current 5 after the deadline without having to disrupt the role Peacock and McHugh have settled in to.
-Alvin HS product
-FA after this year, seems to be fine after TJ surgery in 2016 and some clean up surgery in March, but may not have to give up as much because of both of those reasons.
-Use him as a 6th starter in September move him to the pen in October.

I want this to happen

9 hours ago, RoundRobin said:

I’m looking forward to seeing how Scraps crafts a walk off with the Astros the visiting team. 

To the extent it could be done as a visiting team, he somehow managed. Again.

Oh, and a shoutout to Arlington. I doubt any other team could have gagged that lead away in such spectacular fashion. You guys really are the worst. 

9 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

I mean the last guy to singlehandedly blow a 5 run lead for the Astros is rotting away in Fresno. So the Astros might actually be done here.

Lulz at singlehandedly.  He had a little help from his friends.

Ken Giles replaces Chris Devenski pitching
b9 3-8 0 --- 17,(3-2)    CLE Jose Ramirez Ken Giles 1% 2% Double to RF (Line Drive to Deep RF Line)
b9 3-8 0 -2- 2,(0-1)    CLE Edwin Encarnacion Ken Giles 3% 5% Single to LF (Fly Ball to Short LF-CF); Ramirez to 3B
b9 3-8 0 1-3 2,(1-0)  R CLE Yonder Alonso Ken Giles 4% 9% Single to CF (Line Drive to Deep LF-CF); Ramirez Scores; Encarnacion to 2B

Will Harris replaces Ken Giles pitching
b9 4-8 0 12- 4,(1-2)  O CLE Rajai Davis Will Harris -5% 5% Strikeout Looking
b9 4-8 1 12- 6,(1-2)  R CLE Jason Kipnis Will Harris 7% 12% Single to RF (Line Drive to RF Line); Encarnacion Scores; Alonso to 3B

Erik Gonzalez pinch hits for Roberto Perez (C) batting 8th
b9 5-8 1 1-3 4,(1-2)  R CLE Erik Gonzalez Will Harris 9% 21% Single to LF (Line Drive to Short LF Line); Alonso Scores; Kipnis to 2B

Hector Rondon replaces Will Harris pitching
b9 6-8 1 12- 1,(0-0)  O CLE Greg Allen Hector Rondon -11% 10% Lineout: LF
b9 6-8 2 12- 6,(1-2)  R CLE Francisco Lindor Hector Rondon 8% 18% Single to LF (Line Drive); Kipnis Scores; Gonzalez to 2B
b9 7-8 2 12- 3,(0-2)  R CLE Michael Brantley Hector Rondon 44% 62% Single to 3B (Line Drive to Short LF); Gonzalez Scores; Lindor to 2B
b9 8-8 2 12- 4,(1-2)  O CLE Jose Ramirez Hector Rondon -12% 50% Lineout: 1B
                  5 runs, 7 hits, 0 errors, 2 LOB. Astros 8, Indians 8.
Edited by WBT

5 minutes ago, WBT said:

Lulz at singlehandedly.  He had a little help from his friends.

Ken Giles replaces Chris Devenski pitching
b9 3-8 0 --- 17,(3-2)    CLE Jose Ramirez Ken Giles 1% 2% Double to RF (Line Drive to Deep RF Line)
b9 3-8 0 -2- 2,(0-1)    CLE Edwin Encarnacion Ken Giles 3% 5% Single to LF (Fly Ball to Short LF-CF); Ramirez to 3B
b9 3-8 0 1-3 2,(1-0)  R CLE Yonder Alonso Ken Giles 4% 9% Single to CF (Line Drive to Deep LF-CF); Ramirez Scores; Encarnacion to 2B

Will Harris replaces Ken Giles pitching
b9 4-8 0 12- 4,(1-2)  O CLE Rajai Davis Will Harris -5% 5% Strikeout Looking
b9 4-8 1 12- 6,(1-2)  R CLE Jason Kipnis Will Harris 7% 12% Single to RF (Line Drive to RF Line); Encarnacion Scores; Alonso to 3B

Erik Gonzalez pinch hits for Roberto Perez (C) batting 8th
b9 5-8 1 1-3 4,(1-2)  R CLE Erik Gonzalez Will Harris 9% 21% Single to LF (Line Drive to Short LF Line); Alonso Scores; Kipnis to 2B

Hector Rondon replaces Will Harris pitching
b9 6-8 1 12- 1,(0-0)  O CLE Greg Allen Hector Rondon -11% 10% Lineout: LF
b9 6-8 2 12- 6,(1-2)  R CLE Francisco Lindor Hector Rondon 8% 18% Single to LF (Line Drive); Kipnis Scores; Gonzalez to 2B
b9 7-8 2 12- 3,(0-2)  R CLE Michael Brantley Hector Rondon 44% 62% Single to 3B (Line Drive to Short LF); Gonzalez Scores; Lindor to 2B
b9 8-8 2 12- 4,(1-2)  O CLE Jose Ramirez Hector Rondon -12% 50% Lineout: 1B
                  5 runs, 7 hits, 0 errors, 2 LOB. Astros 8, Indians 8.

Evidently, I "misremembered" that game ala Andy Pettitte. Also, it's safe to say Ken Giles did not get by with a little help from his friends that game. What if the rest of the bullpen threw the game just to get Giles off of the team (your morning Astros conspiracy theory of the day)?

26 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:
49 minutes ago, huge said:
does anyone know how to turn a video into a gif?  I found something that would go great on this thread

Sure, send me the link.

its not a link, its a file

How long does Kuechel wait this year to goad Luhnow into getting them some help? We need a bat and pen help. If we haven’t done it by now I don’t see us overpaying at the deadline and I don’t see any August saviors this year. Cole was a very good add but Sox and Yanks have upped the ante. I mean I know we aren’t desperate. We will always have a fighters chance but to expect us to win every game 7, get every clutch hit or Altuve to hit 3 hr in a game or George to go Superman again is a bit much. It takes skill and luck to win the WS but I’d rather have as much of the former and need as least of the latter as I could. Or maybe I’m just a pessimistic old shit. I’ve always just believed if you’re standing still they are gaining on you. Talk me off the cliff boys.

7 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

How long does Kuechel wait this year to goad Luhnow into getting them some help? We need a bat and pen help. If we haven’t done it by now I don’t see us overpaying at the deadline and I don’t see any August saviors this year. Cole was a very good add but Sox and Yanks have upped the ante. I mean I know we aren’t desperate. We will always have a fighters chance but to expect us to win every game 7, get every clutch hit or Altuve to hit 3 hr in a game or George to go Superman again is a bit much. It takes skill and luck to win the WS but I’d rather have as much of the former and need as least of the latter as I could. Or maybe I’m just a pessimistic old shit. I’ve always just believed if you’re standing still they are gaining on you. Talk me off the cliff boys.

Who do you want us to trade prospects for? Who is out there?

9 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

It's always going to take a lot of your bolded sentence.  There's no trade out there that's going to let us sweep every series, winning every game by 4 or 5 runs.  The playoffs are always going to be a crap shoot.

I've become a believer in the Red Sox this year.  I think they and us are a small step ahead of the Yankees who are then another step ahead of the Dodger, Cubs, and Indians.  But every team that makes the playoffs could win it all.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

we could have NOT won the WS last year?

my hope is we get enough of a lead heading into the final days of the season where we can start to limit and watch innings for Cole, LMC, and CFM. These guys have thrown a lot of pitches, and no one has missed a start yet(!) - which is fucking amazing - but we need to keep those arms fresh for the post season. we can't have guys racking up 20-30 pitches an inning and expect to be okay with our bullpen, even if we do move LMC and Morton to the pen, which we wont. Well, maybe Lance. 

get healthy, get our offensive rhythm fine-tuned and have fresh arms heading into the post season - really thats all you can ask for. one thing to keep in mind, we havent mortgaged the future, or taken a significant dip into our farm teams yet - other teams have, bodes well for us not just this year but the next several years. 

• Like 1

ok, so eovaldi was never linked to us (except by me) so we don't even know if we looked that direction.  hopefully we're looking at those two in miami.

raisel iglesias was linked to us.  he's a righty, and righties are hitting .139 against him, so there's a lot to like (especially since there aren't a ton of terrifying lefties in the al playoffs).  he's not terrible vs lefties either (.241 baa), and i think he could be a great piece added relatively cheap (although he's 28 with two more years of team control so who knows).  also he has closer experience (the last couple years) in case we need him to do that.

we really haven't been fully clicking on offense (in the nyt article, luhnow mentions how we've hit into too many dp and have had stars in prolonged slumps).  i wonder if they're just hoping we snap out of it, or if they're considering going after a bat.  one bat won't save this offense if our stars don't pull it together, but i'd still like a lefty off the bench.  maybe if ted starts hitting we won't need it (or maybe marwin just becomes that guy).

either way, we seem like we're winning games without playing particularly well.  maybe we'll just start playing well?