Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Source?

Anything from Ford's side on that? You're just assuming this woman would know based on... what?

While you're carrying so much GOP water, do you have time to name the Senators who would not vote to confirm? Will you answer the question if I say "please"? What if I give you a dollar?

I read articles and stuff and try to pay attention. Which is why I don't have to ask others to name the swing votes in the Senate for me.

Just now, Anastasis said:

I read articles and stuff and try to pay attention.

So that's a "No, I don't have a source that alleges that Ford named Blasey a witness."

Cool. Thanks.

Which is why I don't have to ask others to name the swing votes in the Senate for me.

"Swing" votes.

I am asking you a very specific question, which you can't answer, because you know you're full of shit:

Which Senators, by name please, would currently vote "yes" on Kavanaugh but would vote "no" if Blasey said that she believes Ford? Name names.

21 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If her statement reflected the opposite, Kavanaugh would be done.  

This is most likely true, and the most disturbing thing about the whole affair.  Is this really what we want as the new standard?  That somebody can place you at a party 35 years ago with an accuser.  I have never ever come close to any lines that would reflect assault.  But I don't even remember the names of some of the girls I've been with.  This probably true for many of you. But I'm guilty if somebody can place me at a party 20 or 30 years ago with one of them who makes up an assault story?  If it happened yesterday, they would have to prove a hell of a lot more than I was just there. How does anybody defend themselves against that?  It's impossible.  Anybody can win with a lie. And if that's true, you get a lot more liars.

26 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

This is some gymnastics MJ, but you are not the only one engaging in them. The lady was reported, apparently by Dr. Ford's lawyers in talks with committee staff, as being a corroborating witness to Dr. Ford's account of the party. She is, according to her lawyer, a lifelong friend of Dr. Ford's.  She says she has no recollection of the party that Dr. Ford is describing, or any other where Kavanaugh was present.  If her statement reflected the opposite, Kavanaugh would be done.  

You're taking the characterization by GOP leakers as gospel.  Yet even if we assume that to be accurate, you've said nothing inconsistent with my post.  As I said, it would be significant if she happened to recall things related to Dr. Ford's account.  That she doesn't, though, doesn't prove anything one way or the other.   Do you remember all of the guests at high school parties you were at where nothing unusual happened to you?   I sure don't. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Which Senators, by name please, would currently vote "yes" on Kavanaugh but would vote "no" if Blasey said that she believes Ford? 

Why won't you answer a question anastasis that is one step beyond word salad. Why! I'll give you a dollar.  

What a joke.

Here's the CNN article that discusses the Senate staffers reaching out to people who have been identified as individuals who attended the party in discussions between committee staffers and Ford's lawyers.  Maybe BT will be able to figure out who is offering names of people that could serve as corroborating witnesses to senate staffers https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/22/politics/kavanaugh-ford-accuser-nomination/index.html

1 minute ago, Mojo Hand said:

As I said, it would be significant if she happened to recall things related to Dr. Ford's account.  That she doesn't, though, doesn't prove anything one way or the other.   Do you remember all of the guests at high school parties you were at where nothing unusual happened to you?   I sure don't. 

You will not get an answer to this. So many questions will go unanswered.

Anastasis in one sentence:

Never believe that anti‐ Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti‐Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past. It is not that they are afraid of being convinced. They fear only to appear ridiculous or to prejudice by their embarrassment their hope of winning over some third person to their side.

Replace "phrase" with "meme".

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Why won't you answer a question anastasis that is one step beyond word salad. Why! I'll give you a dollar.  

It's not word salad, you just can't name names.

You said:
"If her statement reflected the opposite, Kavanaugh would be done."  

Which Senator is a "yes" right now who would become a "no"? Name names.

Here's the CNN article that discusses the Senate staffers reaching out to people who have been identified as individuals who attended the party in discussions between committee staffers and Ford's lawyers.  Maybe BT will be able to figure out who is offering names of people that could serve as corroborating witnesses to senate staffers https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/22/politics/kavanaugh-ford-accuser-nomination/index.html

Was it Ford's or Kavanaugh's side? What is the context in which Keyser's name was even offered? Was it, "She knows I was almost raped!" or "She knows I wasn't even there." or "She went to school with us maybe she knows something."?

You have no idea the actual answer to either of these questions, you just accept the GOP spin because that's what you do automatically.

But both sides, of course.

3 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

You're taking the characterization by GOP leakers as gospel.  Yet even if we assume that to be accurate, you've said nothing inconsistent with my post.  As I said, it would be significant if she happened to recall things related to Dr. Ford's account.  That she doesn't, though, doesn't prove anything one way or the other.   Do you remember all of the guests at high school parties you were at where nothing unusual happened to you?   I sure don't. 

I'm taking the characterization of Leland Keyser's attorney and the statement that she released. 

Also in that article that I linked in last post, apparently there was an additional corroborating witness identified by Ford's team. Doesn't have any recollection of a party.

In addition, Patrick J. Smyth issued a statement. "I understand that I have been identified by Dr. Christine Blasey Ford as the person she remembers as 'PJ' who supposedly was present at the party she described in her statements to the Washington Post," Smyth said in his statement to the Senate Judiciary Committee. "I am issuing this statement today to make it clear to all involved that I have no knowledge of the party in question; nor do I have any knowledge of the allegations of improper conduct she has leveled against Brett Kavanaugh."

By my count I think that we've exhausted the four other people at the party in Ford's account. 

Sen. Lindsey Graham said Sunday the testimony of Brett Kavanaugh’s accuser won’t change his mind, no matter what she says.

“You can’t bring it in a criminal court, you would never sue civilly, you couldn’t even get a warrant,” Graham said on “Fox News Sunday” with Chris Wallace. “What am I supposed to do? Go ahead and ruin this guy’s life based on an accusation? I don’t know when it happened, I don’t know where it happened, and everybody named in regard to being there said it didn’t happen.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/23/kavanaugh-ford-lindsey-graham-837391

Just now, bad_teammate said:

Was it Ford's or Kavanaugh's side? What is the context in which Keyser's name was even offered? 

Right.  Kavanaugh's team is offering up names of corroborating witnesses for a party that he claims no recollection of. Brilliant deductive reasoning there brain genius. 

45 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

CNN has no confirmation that the Bart O'Kavanaugh mentioned in the passage above refers to Brett Kavanaugh.

lol

Pack the fucking court, you coward libs.

The Senate is wasting its time.  It should focus its efforts on finding this Bart O’Kavanaugh scoundrel.  He’s the real villain.

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

Ford places Ms Keyser at the party.  Ms. Keyser, a lifelong friend, says she never met Kavanaugh and has no idea what Ford is talking about. Your response to that is: Well, she's not really a witness then, is she?

I don't usually bother responding or even reading anything on this board since it turned into one long boring lefty circle jerk, but this thread, well, it's been worth reading just for gems like that above. And that it is victim shaming to point out that Ms. Ford seems to be able to fly when she wants to.  You need to learn what victim shaming is. It's the NY Times, after Patricia Bowman accused William Kennedy Smith of rape,  "reporting on her speeding tickets, partying in adulthood and even dredging up an unnamed woman who claimed Bowman showed a 'little wild streak' in high school."   Or James Carville, tallking about Paula Jones,  saying that you never know what you'll find when you drag a hundred dollar bill through a trailer park

This poster is hilarious. Makes sure to constantly remind everyone that he's above the fray, and just hates finding himself in this forum participating in the same arguments as everyone else. 

• Like 2

Right.  Kavanaugh's team is offering up names of corroborating witnesses for a party that he claims no recollection of. Brilliant deductive reasoning there brain genius. 

Are you arguing that people do not try to find witnesses to prove they weren't at a place they were accused of being? Have you heard of the word "alibi"?

(Name the Senators, please.)

What liberal is in charge of Fox news’ top story on their website:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/09/23/fox-news-poll-record-number-voters-oppose-kavanaugh-nomination.html

Voter support for Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation to the U.S. Supreme Court is down in the wake of Christine Ford’s assault allegations, as more believe her than him.

Currently, 40 percent of voters would confirm Kavanaugh, while 50 percent oppose him, according to a Fox News poll.  Last month, views split 45-46 percent (August 19-21). 

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Are you arguing that people do not try to find witnesses to prove they weren't at a place they were accused of being? Have you heard of the word "alibi"?

(Name the Senators, please.)

Jesus you are dense.  Dr. Ford told WaPo that Keyser was at the party.  Seems that they omitted that detail in their original story.  She then enters negotiations with judiciary committee staffers, and dropped the same name. This is not that hard BT. 

Dr. Ford told WaPo that Keyser was at the party.

Me, an hour ago, one simple question: "Source?"

Still not one. 

From the CNN article:

Ford's lawyer Debra Katz said in response to Keyser's attorney's statement that it makes sense that Keyser wouldn't remember, because Ford has said she did not share her allegations "publicly or with anyone for years."

"It's not surprising that Ms Keyser has no recollection of the evening as they did not discuss it," Katz said in a statement. "It's also unremarkable that Ms. Keyser does not remember attending a specific gathering 30 years ago at which nothing of consequence happened to her. Dr. Ford of course will never forget this gathering because of what happened to her there."

Does it sound like Ford expected Keyser to confirm Ford's story?

Just now, bad_teammate said:
4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Dr. Ford told WaPo that Keyser was at the party.

Me, an hour ago, one simple question: "Source?"

Still not one. 

Sigh. 

As negotiations continued, Leland Keyser, a woman Ford told The Washington Post was present at the party where she alleges Kavanaugh assaulted her, came forward to say she “does not know Mr. Kavanaugh and she has no recollection of ever being at a party or gathering where he was present,” according to an email her lawyer sent to the Senate Judiciary Committee, obtained by The Post. 

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Maybe, but to a much lesser extent. He's pro-life.

There's also the whole indicting a sitting president thing on which BK, and only BK, has stated his opinion. I recall Flake grilling him on this specifically during the hearing, as well as the broader Russia investigation. I don't recall Flake signaling he was satisfied with what BK had said.

Sexual assault is one thing, but we've all heard a multitude of other reasons why this dude shouldn't be on the supreme court, particularly propping up a president under criminal investigation.

Strange that sexual assault still matters at all to the GOP, when all of those other red flags didn't mean shit (except maybe to Flake).

13 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Corker is also a wild card. 

I'm thinking Kav gets pulled before Wednesday so these counting of the votes doesn't matter.

I'm didn't think he would last the weekend but here we are with only 13 hours to go. 

So, the soonest the committee can vote would be what? A week from Monday.

The debate on the floor is going to be a mess. 

Anyone know the soonest a floor vote can take place? A week from the hearing maybe?

18 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

if only there was some way for a non interested party conduct an investigation and get it on record who is asserting what and who is corroborating what

Like a bureau that does investigations for the federal government?  I think you may be on to something.  

It will take some time to put something like that together though.

• Like 1