Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

You guys pretending that the theater wasn’t the most important and powerful thing here are funny. Or delusional.

I'd probably go with that self-deception if I found myself shilling for a lying degenerate to be put on the Supreme Court. "He's fine, those ebil Dems just wanted to put on a show! EBIL!"

Don't let your mind drift to the notion that a different, decent conservative could have been chosen who would have sailed through like Gorsuch. Don't wonder why this slimeball was so important to Trump and the GOPs.

Hold the notion that bitches are anxious to go public with harrowing sexual assault stories for purely political reasons close to your golden heart.

At all times, project your brand of politics onto the ebil Dems. In fact, use the projection to define their evil. Remain forever irony- and information-proof.

A man's got to be able to sleep at night, right?

tenor.gif

Pleasant dreams and happy landings!

• Like 1

Brett's public approval is underwater, and the worst recorded approval of a confirmed judge.  His conduct and performance during confirmation was absolutely disqualifying for me.  A SCOTUS nomination is an opportunity for the President, an inherently political position, to strengthen and reassure the public trust for the nation.  Given what transpired, there are any number of better qualified conservative (not political) judges who would fulfill the needs of establishing public trust in maintaining truth and impartiality in working with the law.  Our trust was abused by Trump and the GOP who played along.  It's sickening on a broad scale, not just because I believe Ford and witnessed numerous lies by Brett on matters unrelated to Ford, but because of what I am experiencing as a cumulative breach of the public trust by those with indifference to it.  

I vote for people with integrity who I trust, regardless of political stripe.  A conservative R with demonstrable honesty and integrity and absence of lying vs a corrupt lying D will get my vote every time.  That is my own method.  Truthful people with integrity, regardless of political bent, will make the right decisions for everyone a vast majority of the time versus anyone who survives through lying and obfuscation.  What we are witnessing from Trump and his most complicit enablers in the GOP is dangerous and should not be tolerated by anyone who recognizes the importance of truthfulness and integrity for the stability of our nation.

• Like 4

Just stop, dems would never vote for any trump pick.
I know, because they said so, on numerous occasions.
If thats not showing integrity, then none of it is.
Dems made it political.
Trump was gonna get his pick thru no matter what.
Dems turned it into a circus with hopes it would delay till after the mid terms. We all know it. Booker and co said so.

This confirmation process coulda taken a more honorable path, dems took it to where it ended.

• Like 5

Brett's public approval is underwater, and the worst recorded approval of a confirmed judge.  His conduct and performance during confirmation was absolutely disqualifying for me.  A SCOTUS nomination is an opportunity for the President, an inherently political position, to strengthen and reassure the public trust for the nation.  Given what transpired, there are any number of better qualified conservative (not political) judges who would fulfill the needs of establishing public trust in maintaining truth and impartiality in working with the law.  Our trust was abused by Trump and the GOP who played along.  It's sickening on a broad scale, not just because I believe Ford and witnessed numerous lies by Brett on matters unrelated to Ford, but because of what I am experiencing as a cumulative breach of the public trust by those with indifference to it.  
I vote for people with integrity who I trust, regardless of political stripe.  A conservative R with demonstrable honesty and integrity and absence of lying vs a corrupt lying D will get my vote every time.  That is my own method.  Truthful people with integrity, regardless of political bent, will make the right decisions for everyone a vast majority of the time versus anyone who survives through lying and obfuscation.  What we are witnessing from Trump and his most complicit enablers in the GOP is dangerous and should not be tolerated by anyone who recognizes the importance of truthfulness and integrity for the stability of our nation.
Blah blah blah blah

8 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Dems made it political.
Dems turned it into a circus with hopes it would delay till after the mid terms. We all know it. Booker and co said so.

This confirmation process coulda taken a more honorable path, dems took it to where it ended.

No, they wouldn't have had much choice if the republicans said, OK , in a gesture of bi partisanship, were going to nominate a second candidate.  Egg on the face would be an understatement if they puled the same tricks out of their bag, and the republicans look like the good guys for sincerely trying to cross the aisle.

• Like 1

Dems made it political.

It's amazing people can be this stupid
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AtticusFinch said:

The Democrats think it's ok to have women beaters, rapists and murderers in their ranks with more evidence to support the allegations but that doesnt seem to bother the left or the media.  

3 hours ago, AtticusFinch said:

He's not a rapist.  It's statements like this why no rational people believe and/or take seriously the allegations.  

So what you're saying is you can dish it out but you can't take it. Hypocrite. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No, they wouldn't have had much choice if the republicans said, OK , in a gesture of bi partisanship, were going to nominate a second candidate.  Egg on the face would be an understatement if they puled the same tricks out of their bag, and the republicans look like the good guys for sincerely trying to cross the aisle.

This is exactly right.  It has to come from the party in power and it is the only way to tone down the animosity.  The pubs would have looked they were the reasonable grownups AND still gotten what they wanted.  The dems would of had no choice but to overwhelmingly approve the next, more conservative candidate and restore credibility to the SC.  Repubs win big, dems get a tiny tiny superficial victory, which ends up suppressing the midterm anger. But McConnell and Trump can’t give an inch even to gain a mile.  The losers?  Us.  Sad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, williemackgarza said:

Dems made it political.

Maybe you weren't paying attention to the eight years of obstructionist party politics by the Republicans during the Obama administration. What the fuck were you expecting? You can bitch about the Democrats playing politics but you shouldn't expect anyone to take you seriously. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

This is exactly right.  It has to come from the party in power and it is the only way to tone down the animosity.  The pubs would have looked they were the reasonable grownups AND still gotten what they wanted.  The dems would of had no choice but to overwhelmingly approve the next, more conservative candidate and restore credibility to the SC.  Repubs win big, dems get a tiny tiny superficial victory, which ends up suppressing the midterm anger. But McConnell and Trump can’t give an inch even to gain a mile.  The losers?  Us.  Sad.

Great post, especially the party in power needs to show its true leadership capabilities.  One of these two parties has to start acting the grown up.  The olive branch has to be passed.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Great post, especially the party in power needs to show its true leadership capabilities.  One of these two parties has to start acting the grown up.  The olive branch has to be passed.

Hope springs eternal and all that. 

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Barack Obama tried to do this with John Boehner by offering up the "grand bargain," much to the chagrin of progressives.

The Republican base lost its mind at even a whiff of compromise and forced Boehner out as Speaker.

So what's the incentive for either party to extend an olive branch if compromise is met with electoral resistance?

• Like 1

Just now, David Dennison said:

Barack Obama tried to do this with John Boehner by offering up the "grand bargain," much to the chagrin of progressives.

The Republican base lost its mind at even a whiff of compromise and forced Boehner out as Speaker.

So what's the incentive for either party to extend an olive branch if compromise is met with electoral resistance?

Yeah Barack Obama said I won get over it.  

1 hour ago, williemackgarza said:

Dems made it political.

Please sterilize yourself.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah Barack Obama said I won get over it.  

He reached out numerous times to the right, exponentially more than Trump and the GOP has ever done before or since.   The extent to which you engage in "but the other side"-ism to defend the most vile POTUS and major party leadership in my lifetime is fascinating. 

Keep sucking that orange mushroom dick.     Trump is the only force standing between you and the hoards of gay, brown, Muslim, illegal immigrants who want to steal your house title on the Dark Sharia Web. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Nice observations, Onboard. I agree.

Hate to dox brisket, but we may have stumbled on his twitter account. 

There will be renewed calls for civility. Ignore them. They ask for civility as a way for you to grant them complicity in what they do.

— Chuck Wendig (@ChuckWendig) October 6, 2018

Civility is for normalcy. When things are normal and working as intended, civility is part of maintaining balance. But when that balance is gone, civility does not help return it but rather, destabilize it further. Because your civility gives them cover for evil.

Note: this isn’t the same as calling for violence. But it is suggesting that you should not be shamed for using vigorous, vulgar language. Or for standing up in disobedience. Or for demanding acknowledgement and action in whatever way you must.

Fuck Trump. But he’s just the ugly fake-gold mask they’ve put on this thing. Fuck all the GOP, fuck that blubbering, bristling frat boy judge, fuck McConnell, Ryan, Grassley, Collins, every last one of them. Fuck them for how they’ve shamed victims and helped dismantle democracy.

They will tell you to smile, that we need to get back to business, that we gotta heal the rift and blah blah blah — but that’s the desire of a savvy bully, who wants you to stop crying after he hit you, who wants you not to fight back. But you can cry. And you can fight back.

They can eat shit. All of them. They can eat a boot covered in shit.

Winter is coming, you callous fucknecks, you prolapsed assholes, you grotesque monsters, you racists and rapists and wretched abusers, you vengeful petty horrors.

Sidenote: some will tell you to be civil because our rage and scorn will fuel the other side, but fuck that double standard in both its ears.

“Well, if you hadn’t said those SASSY WORDS and demonstrated ANGER at our whittled-down democracy, I for a second might’ve been convinced not to eat this baby. But fie! Fie on you! Your incivility MADE me eat this baby!” — Chuck Wendig (@ChuckWendig) October 6, 2018

Spoiler warning: they were always gonna eat that baby.

PS— It’s okay if you’re not okay.

How do you think handing Chuck an Olive branch is going to work out?

Edited by Ragnarok

Probably better than continually fucking over Chuck.

What fails to remain unsaid is that one party could snap to what's right, correct itself, and win the Chuck's of the world right back.

Republicucks could win more by being earnest than by being enemies. 

Edited by SKJ

You can never "win back" people that are frothing at the mouth. One does not simply cure rabies.

Well, chuck ain’t me, but chuck does have a point. Is there ANY reason to expect that “civility” will engender anything other than DOUBLE the boofing (see what I did there?) of a now defenseless target?

Seriously, what data point can you refer to that indicated that “civility” will be treated as anything but weakness to be exploited to gain even more ground and bring about even more sweet libtears? Hell, civility will show the opposition to be everything the Trumpkins say it is: a bunch of weak cucks in need of a safe space.

One doesn’t fight intentional and purposeful cruelty with civility. That’s a recipe for getting crushed, and you know it.

Oh, and as for “winning back” such people...I remind you that people like George Will are “such people.” A lot of folks who think this regime is a stain on history are heavily republican voters, historically. I know it’s CONVENIENT to characterize all of the people who oppose Trump as granola-eating hippies, but we ain’t.
  • Like 2

So when does Ford file a complaint in Maryland?

There are no time limitations for her allegations in Maryland. 

Why is she just dropping it now? What has changed?  

You have already stated you don’t trust the FBI to investigate, are the Maryland police in on it too?

After all of this public lunacy she needs to follow through and file a charge if she is telling the truth. 

1 hour ago, SKJ said:

Republicucks could win more by being earnest than by being enemies. 

Still in denial that this is the Dems' very practice with the baseless accusations discussed in this very thread?

They knew they couldn't stop the vote, so let's raise some hell anyway...

Very honorable, indeed.

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

Still in denial that this is the Dems' very practice with the baseless accusations discussed in this very thread?

They knew they couldn't stop the vote, so let's raise some hell anyway...

Very honorable, indeed.

The ability of smart normal people to complexly disregard all common sense and decency for their political gain, destroying lives along the way is just shocking. It is like we are watching the rise of the Nazi party before our eyes. They use racism, violence, lies, intimidation and false accusations to usurp the voice of the people and crush their enemies

To think the Democratic Party used to represent the middle class and the majority of Americans. It’s disgusting. 

more losing is the only thing that will bring back a much needed realistic second party. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The ability of smart normal people to complexly disregard all common sense and decency for their political gain, destroying lives along the way is just shocking. It is like we are watching the rise of the Nazi party before our eyes. They use racism, violence, lies, intimidation and false accusations to usurp the voice of the people and crush their enemies

To think the Democratic Party used to represent the middle class and the majority of Americans. It’s disgusting. 

more losing is the only thing that will bring back a much needed realistic second party. 

Every accusation is a confession. This is a man who will support gassing liberals within the next few years.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

6 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

That party will be the majority party soon enough. 

And are you of the opinion that the Republican Party represents the middle class and majority of Americans? 

That's funny.

11 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

You have already stated you don’t trust the FBI to investigate, are the Maryland police in on it too?

After all of this public lunacy she needs to follow through and file a charge if she is telling the truth. 

What is the statute of limitations for the crimes suffered by Ford??

I believe you are wrong on the "there are no limitations for her allegations in Maryland."  From what I've read, the statute of limitations would have been one year back when the event occurred.  IN the 90's they changed the statute of limitations to being open, but that wouldn't apply to Ford's allegations as they occurred before the statute changes.

Even if she could file a charge and did file a charge, all of you jackasses would be saying she doesn't have corroborating evidence and this and that.  

It makes zero difference to any of you whether she files charges.  So stop pretending like you give a shit.

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

One party has no power or influence but represents the majority of Americans when it comes to ideas for governing and leadership.

Popular democracy and the structural fact of minority rule is a very toxic mix for society.

Minority rule is the (alleged) majority's fault.

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That party will be the majority party soon enough. 

And are you of the opinion that the Republican Party represents the middle class and majority of Americans? 

That's funny.

Exactly.  

Here's a clue.  Both parties are running trains on the middle class.  Why?  It helps them get reelected.

Just now, slorch said:

Oh...they are the (alleged) majority you and others keep speaking of?

Just stop with the finger pointing. 

Maybe expect better of those who are in power to represent all Americans instead of the few that put them there?

You know for the people? 

Or as Republicans call them, the angry mob. 

27 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

She doesn't want him to go to prison. She believed he wasn't fit to serve as a SC justice. Which was always the case. Why do you purposely not pay attention to the details?

12 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

She doesn't want him to go to prison. She believed he wasn't fit to serve as a SC justice. Which was always the case. Why do you purposely not pay attention to the details?

Yep. She showed tremendous courage in coming forward and forcing herself to re-live that night. Same for Ramirez.

Maybe instead of blaming Blasey-Ford for mishandling (in the opinion of Rs) how she brought this to the attention of the senate, we could recognize that there's something deeply wrong with our country when victims of abuse suffer in silence for decades. They're often afraid to come forward b/c of the shame that they feel and b/c of the shame and ridicule that they'll receive. Like "we think you're credible and that something happened to you ... it just wasn't Kav..."

Edited by retread