Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

10 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Can we all just stipulate that Brett Kavanaugh is no better or worse than Bill Clinton, and therefore, the committee hearings should turn their attention toward locking up Mrs. Kavanaugh for her role in Benghazi and her emails?

Hmmm, Interesting suggestion...

giphy.gif

Just now, longhornmatt said:

I would believe it about Avenatti.  Hell, in his own tweet about the FFFFFFFourth or whatever it was, the number of Fs didn’t even match up to his code about find em, fuck em, etc.  

Either 4chan successfully trolled Avenatti, or they have successfully trolled politics twitter.  Either way, I think that they get to mark that one in their column. 

1 minute ago, MixtyMotions said:

What is your prediction?

1. Kavanaugh confirmed

2.  Another nominee confirmed in a lame duck session

3.  Another nominee confirmed in 2019

4. No nominee confirmed till 2021

I'm going with #1. Something something pubic hair and a diet coke.

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Either 4chan successfully trolled Avenatti, or they have successfully trolled politics twitter.  Either way, I think that they get to mark that one in their column. 

The fucking losers rarely get a win, and they talk more shit than aggy.  

They're the aggy of the internet

Just now, David Dennison said:

Maybe, but they don't have the votes to confirm at the moment. That's a fact.

No shit.  They haven't held the vote.  Doesn't change the fact he's going to get confirmed. 

This is all bullshit hysterical theatrics.  They brought out the handmaidens, called him a racist and even got stormy daniel's lawyer involved now?  It has nothing to do with the him or his character.  It's about stopping whoever Trump nominates.  That's the goal.  They have thrown everything and the kitchen sink at him and he came out as a virgin through high school.  Nothing stuck. They failed.

It's football season.  Act like it.

2 minutes ago, Jack said:

No shit.  They haven't held the vote.  Doesn't change the fact he's going to get confirmed. 

This is all bullshit hysterical theatrics.  They brought out the handmaidens, called him a racist and even got stormy daniel's lawyer involved now?  It has nothing to do with the him or his character.  It's about stopping whoever Trump nominates.  That's the goal.  They have thrown everything and the kitchen sink at him and he came out as a virgin through high school.  Nothing stuck. They failed.

Well, you're wrong on multiple counts, but hey, thanks for playing.

3 minutes ago, Jack said:

It's football season.  Act like it.

The Democrats have succeeded beyond anything they could have hoped for. They might still get a scalp, but even if he's confirmed they've won this little flare up no matter what happens. 

Edited by David Dennison

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

The Democrats have succeeded beyond anything they could have hoped for. They might still get a scalp, but even if he's confirmed they've won this little flare up no matter what happens. 

Two Supreme Court justice appointments that last decades. Yep, just a flare up...

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Maybe, but they don't have the votes to confirm at the moment. That's a fact.

If I were a GOP Senator my public position would be like the nine "undecideds".  I'd say:

"These are serious allegations."  "Dr. Ford needs to be heard."   "I will decide after hearing the evidence."  "I take sexual harassment claims seriously." 

To myself I'd say:

"I should have expected a dirty stunt like this."  "Can you believe it?  No corroboration (re:Kavanaugh) except her husband. None."  "Oh, I believe something happened to her.  But she's been 'creating' facts for 36 years to deal with the trauma."  "I feel sorry for her.  She's being used by Dem special interests who play ugly."  "I wonder if we can ever get the confirmation process back on track."

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Is he right? 'Cause I know that's the *popular* version of what went on here. And a lot of people like to believe that. I wish I could

• Like 1

Just now, MixtyMotions said:

If I were a GOP Senator my public position would be like the nine "undecideds".  I'd say:

"These are serious allegations."  "Dr. Ford needs to be heard."   "I will decide after hearing the evidence."  "I take sexual harassment claims seriously." 

To myself I'd say:

"I should have expected a dirty stunt like this."  "Can you believe it?  No corroboration (re:Kavanaugh) except her husband. None."  "Oh, I believe something happened to her.  But she's been 'creating' facts for 36 years to deal with the trauma."  "I feel sorry for her.  She's being used by Dem special interests who play ugly."  "I wonder if we can ever get the confirmation process back on track."

It's going to cost a few of them their jobs.

A "yes" from Susan Collins will end her political career.

you simply cannot make this shit up. 

Recall the shadiness of BK's abrupt and large debt clearance, home purchase, and club membership ?  Recall from earlier today the conversation about background checks and financial blackmail ? 

Where'd all that money come from ?

CRC is Kavanaugh buddy Ed Whelan's outfit.  And btw, Whelan was forced into a sudden sabbatical from CRC several days ago.  Good timing.

Edited by triplehorn
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

I mean, it literally IS a papertrail that links a major kavanaugh lobbying group to the kremlin. Unless you think Yanukovich and what happened in Ukraine had nothing to do with russia. In which case, nice MAGA hat.

So you think that Russia is funding a lobbying effort through CRC directly related to the Kavanaugh appointment. The cap isn't a MAGA cap, its a dunce cap. 

I'd base the advise and consent decision on how they would rule -- will they follow precedent, will  they uphold Roe v. Wade, are they against the death penalty, etc.
I'm not advising on whether they are going to be good den mothers.  I'm advising on whether they will follow what I feel is the correct interpretation of the Constitution.

Meh, I have a very limited view of executive power, but that kind of thing seems like the prerogative of the president to me personally. Even this one, as crazy as that is.
  • Like 1