Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

4 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Not blaming Sam, but how in the holy hell can a Big 12 QB have a 42% completion percentage?  Especially one that is supposed to be a Heisman candidate.  Hell, half his passes are within 3 yards of the LOS.

There were a ton of drops... lost count but something like six or seven.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, satyanash said:

There were a ton of drops... lost count but something like six or seven.

We did not drop seven passes. Please. 

I might buy 5. So he should have been 22 of 36. 23 of 36 if the refs correctly call the Moore TD. 

Yay.

Edited by ztejas

I have no problem putting part of the blame for this loss on Sam.  He did not play well.  He missed several easy throws and made a few poor decisions by throwing deep on plays where shorter passes were more appropriate based on down and distance.  After recovering the fumble in tcu territory down 2pts, not gaining enough yardage to at least attempt a field goal was a major failure for Ehlinger...

Edited by LTtxfan

14 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I’m so ready for the Sam era to end, I’m ready for 2022 and the savior coming.  Sam is just like Tom overhyped and plays like shit vs teams he’s suppose to beat.

Unpopular opinion but I thought Sam was one of the only players on offense to play a good game.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

He’s just not very good. Great QBs don’t have complete blow up halves multiple games a year. Great QBs can hit their guys in stride where Sam consistently makes guys adjust to catch the ball.

Face it - he’s the best we’ve had in a very long string of bad players at the position, but even somebody like Ash would’ve had a comparable career (if not better) if not for the injuries.

Edited by ChemicalHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nope said:

Unpopular opinion but I thought Sam was one of the only players on offense to play a good game.

Have you seen the stat line or see every pass under pressure that was off?  A few of the drops were bad but a lot were off passes that would have been great catches.  He doesn’t have Duv, Humphries or Johnson to make diving catches like they always had to do on his missed balls and it shows.

• Like 1

Lol @ big picture stuff... what had this team done to even think about that? You have to earn it every fucking week.

Sam has peaked and we know what we get from the guy. It’s easy to love Sam and his passion for the university. But sometimes you just gotta call it how you see it, and while this guy is a four year starter, he won’t be remembered for championships. He’ll be remembered for “take the loss pussy” and “we’re baaaaaack” along with some great games like last week. He has a chance to win the big 12 still, and while I’d love for it to happen, I don’t think it will.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChemicalHorn said:

He’s just not very good. Great QBs don’t have complete blow up half’s multiple games a year. Great QBs can hit their guys in stride where Sam consistently makes guys adjust to catch the ball.

Face it - he’s the best we’ve had in a very long string of bad players at the position, but even somebody like Ash would’ve had a comparable career (if not better) if not for the injuries.

What drives me crazy is that a large portion of Sam's value is him running the football. If he's not asserting himself as a running threat for even those 4-5 yard scrambles, he's not nearly as dangerous. They are protecting him from injury, I suppose, but he plays better when he gets dirty. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Have you seen the stat line or see every pass under pressure that was off?  A few of the drops were bad but a lot were off passes that would have been great catches.  He doesn’t have Duv, Humphries or Johnson to make diving catches like they always had to do on his missed balls and it shows.

I watched every snap of the game and when he was 5 for 16 I remember thinking wow he’s putting the ball right where it needs to be, but getting absolutely no help.

Edited by Nope

22 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I’m so ready for the Sam era to end, I’m ready for 2022 and the savior coming.  Sam is just like Tom overhyped and plays like shit vs teams he’s suppose to beat.

Scorching hot take. Sam had to single-handedly carry our offense last year thanks to terrible playcalling and coaching, and he's been doing it again this year. We've wasted his peak years in this offensive system. If Herman had let Sam run in the touchdown instead of Ingram, we'd be singing his praises for leading yet another 4th-quarter comeback, but because the coaches were too stupid to do so it's now his fault?

You can bet I'll be bumping these takes next year, when our offense falls off a cliff with Casey Thompson/freshman Hudson Card at center. Because it will.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Atticus said:

What drives me crazy is that a large portion of Sam's value is him running the football. If he's not asserting himself as a running threat for even those 4-5 yard scrambles, he's not nearly as dangerous. They are protecting him from injury, I suppose, but he plays better when he gets dirty. 

Duggans looks much faster

5 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Per FCB, Sam played hurt today...

"Sam Ehlinger has been limited all week in practice with a right quadriceps contusion near the knee and also took some damage to his off (left) hand against Texas Tech that has made taking snaps difficult, but Ehlinger will play Saturday against TCU, sources told Horns247.  “It’s pretty nasty,” one team source said of Ehlinger's knee. "And his left hand looks like it was slammed in a car door." Initially, there was speculation Ehlinger had a knee sprain (a slight tear of some meniscus). But sources said it was a deep right quadriceps bruise near the knee that swelled up and turned purple. “It’s gonna be a pain tolerance issue for Sam on Saturday,” the source said."

10 minutes ago, ChemicalHorn said:

He’s just not very good. Great QBs don’t have complete blow up halves multiple games a year. Great QBs can hit their guys in stride where Sam consistently makes guys adjust to catch the ball.

Love Ehlinger's leadership, tenacity and his loyalty to the school.    He's a good college QB, not a great one.    That's it.    He's not going to play in the NFL.  That's nonsense.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Scorching hot take. Sam had to single-handedly carry our offense last year thanks to terrible playcalling and coaching, and he's been doing it again this year. We've wasted his peak years in this offensive system. If Herman had let Sam run in the touchdown instead of Ingram, we'd be singing his praises for leading yet another 4th-quarter comeback, but because the coaches were too stupid to do so it's now his fault?

You can bet I'll be bumping these takes next year, when our offense falls off a cliff with Casey Thompson/freshman Hudson Card at center. Because it will.

Cmon man, so we won’t ever have a productive offense after Sam? I’m excited at the upcoming qbs and think we have some good ones. Sam just lost to duggan who missed camp and had a heart issue and looked pretty damn electric. To act like some of the young guys couldn’t produce is dumb. Some of you have your head so far up sams ass it’s hilarious. Dude is a good but not great college qb and you’re acting like he’s VY.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just now, BornOrange1955 said:

Who cares if Ehlinger plays in the NFL? That has nothing to do with his value to this team. He ain't the problem. Not by a long shot. We'd be dead in the water without him.

Just now, ioueleventybilliondollars said:

Who cares if he's going to be an NFL QB or not? He's a very good college QB, and one of the best ever at Texas. He had some misses, but this loss isn't on Sam.

Yo....that was weird

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Per FCB, Sam played hurt today...

"Sam Ehlinger has been limited all week in practice with a right quadriceps contusion near the knee and also took some damage to his off (left) hand against Texas Tech that has made taking snaps difficult, but Ehlinger will play Saturday against TCU, sources told Horns247.  “It’s pretty nasty,” one team source said of Ehlinger's knee. "And his left hand looks like it was slammed in a car door." Initially, there was speculation Ehlinger had a knee sprain (a slight tear of some meniscus). But sources said it was a deep right quadriceps bruise near the knee that swelled up and turned purple. “It’s gonna be a pain tolerance issue for Sam on Saturday,” the source said."

Idk what’s worse, putting him out there in an injured state AGAIN like we have in the past, or knowing he’s limited and thinking we are still going to win when he isn’t going to be able to play 100%?