What to do with released terrorists (John Walker Lindh)

Nice Guy Eddie

With the anniversary of 9/11 today, for some reason John Walker Lindh popped into my head.  Wondered about his status.  Learned the following:

• 37 years old now
  • Still imprisoned in Indiana
  • Refers to himself by a new name:  Abu Sulayman al-Irlandi 
  • Received Irish citizenship in 2013 because he grandmother is from there
  • Has not renounced violent jihad
  • His lawyer fired him as a client, reportedly for making supportive comments about ISIS
  • He's set to be released in May 2019.   Not paroled but released.  

And just because Ireland has granted him citizenship, it doesn't mean that they will allow him into the country.  The US govt can also prevent him from traveling out of the US for a few years.

I see this being a political issue next spring.  I don't think Trump will take kindly for AQ soldiers walking the streets of the US even if they served their time.

Well, obviously the FBI is going to be tracking him and the NSA is going to be listening to every phone call he makes and reading every email he sends.  And ISIS and al Qa'ida almost certainly know that.  So nobody's going to touch him.  And so from an organized terrorist standpoint, he's useless.

Just now, Ghost of LL said:

Well, obviously the FBI is going to be tracking him and the NSA is going to be listening to every phone call he makes and reading every email he sends.  And ISIS and al Qa'ida almost certainly know that.  So nobody's going to touch him.  And so from an organized terrorist standpoint, he's useless.

Yes I agree the chances of him performing some terrorist attack are extremely low.  Possibly 0.  However some of the general public will believe that he wasn't punished enough and will want Trump to find some reason to keep him in prison.  A 20 year sentence for Lindh was acceptable until the 20 years (minus time for good behavior) was served.   I know that politicians have found methods to keep child predators in prison past their sentences.  I wonder if we will see the same occur for terrorists as well.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yes I agree the chances of him performing some terrorist attack are extremely low.  Possibly 0.  However some of the general public will believe that he wasn't punished enough and will want Trump to find some reason to keep him in prison.  A 20 year sentence for Lindh was acceptable until the 20 years (minus time for good behavior) was served.   I know that politicians have found methods to keep child predators in prison past their sentences.  I wonder if we will see the same occur for terrorists as well.

Not so long as we have a constitution that bars writs of attainder and ex post facto laws and requires due process of law before a person can be deprived life, liberty, or property.

And yes--I agree that Trump doesn't support anything in our Constitution.  So yeah--I'm sure we'll hear a lot about it.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm gonna be honest....he's gonna have a hard time getting a job.

Yeah, not sure what he is going to be able to do.  Its probably going to be worse for him than for your average felon.  Even employers that are known for giving felons a chance will avoid him.  He can't turn back to crime to make money either.  I also imagine American Muslims will avoid him like the plague rather than offering him gainful employment or a place to worship.

So what does he do?  Maybe if he truly wanted to clean up and renounce his past, he could do a "scared straight" type social services job.  Instead, he's murky.  He probably should just move to the UAE or somewhere like that and try to get a job there.

Just now, FondrenRoad said:

Yeah, not sure what he is going to be able to do.  Its probably going to be worse for him than for your average felon.  Even employers that are known for giving felons a chance will avoid him.  He can't turn back to crime to make money either.  I also imagine American Muslims will avoid him like the plague rather than offering him gainful employment or a place to worship.

So what does he do?  Maybe if he truly wanted to clean up and renounce his past, he could do a "scared straight" type social services job.  Instead, he's murky.  He probably should just move to the UAE or somewhere like that and try to get a job there.

If he needs a job and can't get hired, it will be family or government assistance.

17 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

GoFundMe.

That's some brilliant fake news to propagate right there.  "Libruls seeking to raise money for released terrorist?" Just ask the question on Fox and it will be truth in less than a news cycle.  America makes me sad if I actually think about what we've become. Election Day and our destiny, good or 'fuck it', can't get here soon enough.  

Write a book?

Or Jihad?

Basic choices. Also, to correct a comment above, he fought for the Taliban. He wasn't in Al Qaeda.

He might move to some country where one of our drones might land and detonate. By coincedence, of course. 

I had no idea he was still so committed to the cause. Had he been repentant, it's easy to see him having some future somewhere here, either as a Muslim or a Christian, but now he has neither. Not in America. Maybe in Yemen or Somalia of back in Afghanistan. 

As I understand it, John Walker Lindh is already an adjunct professor at UC-Santa Cruz's department of History.  I'm sure he'll make tenure once he's released. 

22 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

He wasn’t popped for treason?  Why?  How does THAT guy get a plea bargain?  It’s not even like he flipped and delivered us Osama or something.

From the wikipedia page, the govt had some problems with the case and decided to offer a plea of 20 years for supplying services to Taliban and carrying an explosive device during the commission of a felony.    They dropped the AQ charges and conspiracy to murder US citizens.

The govt was worried that Lindh would testify to details of the the torture applied to him, and that any statement of his from that torture would be tossed out as evidence.    He was captured within 3 months of 9/11 and pled guilty by July 2002.     I believe that Lindh capture and initial detention occurred before the Bush Administration had an established policy of detention outside of the US and how to handle prosecution of the detainees.  They were partially stuck by the time they were ready to start a trial.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

If you think Nike doesn’t have truckloads of market analysis on this campaign, you’re dumber than a Tom Herman press conference.

It will make Nike money long-term. They wouldn’t have done it if it wouldn’t.

It’s pretty much the Trump playbook.  Take a divisive culture issue and exploit it for your own gain. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

If you think Nike doesn’t have truckloads of market analysis on this campaign, you’re dumber than a Tom Herman press conference.

It will make Nike money long-term. They wouldn’t have done it if it wouldn’t.

Well, it sure worked for ESPN.  Guess Disney just said fuck it and didn’t run truckloads of market analysis.  Neither did Coke with New Coke.  

Edited by Johnny Sack