1 grill to compromise them all....

52-80

I've had a standalone kettle, and a WSM.  Never smoked on a kettle, nor used an offset smoker.

Now I only want to have 1 device to do double duties.  And I plan to grill far more frequently than I'll smoke.

Qs:

1.  Go with a Kettle (Weber Performer), or offset smoker?

2.  I dont have the typical offset brands available to me - only Landmann, Tepro, EL Fuego, Grillchef, Jamestown - so what to look for in an offset?  Do I scrutinize build quality?  wall thicknesses?  Smoker box size?  Ventilation and port design?  Grate material?  etc...

At the moment I'm leaning Weber only because it's a better known quantity, has larger working deck for convenience, and a larger accessory system.

37 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

What you want is a ceramic. I haven't smoked on mine but plenty do and seem to love it and they hold temps great. I love mine for grilling. 

always wanted one but not sure of suitability for grilling.  and what size is yours?  i cant get anything larger than 18" for <1000

40 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Oklahoma Joe makes a pretty good offset that you should be able to get at Lowe's or Home Depot.

definitely not available here.  that's why i need to scrunitize by feature rather than name. 

Edited by 52-80

29 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

always wanted one but not sure of suitability for grilling.  and what size is yours?  i cant get anything larger than 18" for <1000

Absolutely suitable for grilling. I was skeptical I would ever use it for that because I thought it would take forever to heat up. It gets hot quicker than my 6 burner propane grill. Fill it with lump, hit it with the torch for 2 minutes, put the grate back on, shut the lid and it's > 500 in 5-8 minutes. 

It's a regular Primo, same size as the large BGE I believe. Same diameter as a WSM - 18.5. 

53 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

You say you had a WSM - what about it didn't fit your needs? Use just the bottom section with a grate and you have a grill, and then add the middle section when you want to smoke.

Never considered that before...though using it that way is not ergo unless I prop it up high.  And then it has no bucket style Ash catch like the Gold series kettles.

I'm leaning more and more towards convenience so might just do the Weber Performer ...

30 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I think you could make a good brisket on it.  The recipe for "Texas Brisket" on the bge website makes me want to scream though.  Fat side down is for troglodytes. 

It's funny because my buddy has a bge and has done brisket both ways.  He said he had more success with fat side down.  Something about how the heat source flows and gravity not being as big of a factor as people think. 

42 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I'm leaning more and more towards convenience so might just do the Weber Performer ...

I've had a Performer for about 8 years now and love it.  Never smoked a brisket on it, but the Smokenator looks interesting.  I usually just move the coals to one side if I'm going to smoke something.  I grill way more than I smoke, and the convenience of the built in propane starter is awesome.

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

definitely not available here.  that's why i need to scrunitize by feature rather than name. 

Based on your username, I'm assuming you may live in Colorado.  If that's the case, it is basically impossible to smoke on an offset smoker from October-April.  I had an offset and would spend about $20 on fuel every time I wanted to smoke.  With the BGE, I would say it closer to $5. Due to the lower temps and low humidity it is extremely expensive to smoke on the offset.  I never grilled on an offset, but don't think the cost would be that different, since your cooking over direct heat.

2 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

More that there is convection, plus radiant heat off all the ceramic, inside a kamado.

Does that prevent grease from running down the brisket?  When you cook a brisket in an oven like a roast, you still put it fat side up.

Edited by kevwun

2 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Something about how brisket meat isn't porous enough for the fat cap to render into the meat, so it mostly just melts off and removes your pretty bark.  Idk man, I don't write these laws. 

If you read Aaron Franklin's book he states fat cap up because there is more heat in the top of a traditional smoker and the fat insulation on top allows a more even cook.  Franklin puts no credence in the fat breakdown itself making for moister brisket. That comes from breaking down the collagen during the stall.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CO Horn said:

Based on your username, I'm assuming you may live in Colorado.  If that's the case, it is basically impossible to smoke on an offset smoker from October-April.  I had an offset and would spend about $20 on fuel every time I wanted to smoke.  With the BGE, I would say it closer to $5. Due to the lower temps and low humidity it is extremely expensive to smoke on the offset.  I never grilled on an offset, but don't think the cost would be that different, since your cooking over direct heat.

I'm in the Midwest and in the cold do 4-6 hours of smoke on the offset and then transfer to my BGE for the rest of the cook.

2 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

If you read Aaron Franklin's book he states fat cap up because there is more heat in the top of the smoker and the fat insulation on top allows a more even cook.  Franklin puts no credence in the fat breakdown itself making for moister brisket.

See I think that applies for a traditional smoker, but for the bge, the heat is coming from below. 

9 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Does that prevent grease from running down the brisket?  When you cook a brisket in an oven like a roast, you still put it fat side up.

GOOD GOD MAN!

Never post again.

I leave mine fat side up in my BGE but I don't think it makes much difference with how a kamado cooker works.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I have one of these, bought it off Amazon several years ago. I rarely use the offset anymore. Grill steaks at 600 degrees or smoke a brisket at 225.

I haven't been able to get the full smoke flavor I get from the offset, but it's close and I don't have to baby-sit it like I do the offset.

If cost isn't a factor, get a ceramic like someone said above.

Edited by Liteitup
moar

37 minutes ago, kevwun said:

You don't like pastrami or corned beef?   Never had a burger or chili made from ground brisket? BBQ is it's best form, but that doesn't make it the only really good way to eat it.

No on pastrami and corned beef -- never really liked those.  Will agree with you on using it in chili and burgers.  I was (1) joking with you and (2) referring to cooking a whole, not uses for grinding it up

4 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

This Char-grill Kamado looks like a pretty good grill/smoker for the price.  And that's not on sale.  Watch it and it could come down.  Reviews are pretty good.

Bought one this spring to see if I'd like the Komodo style with a low cost of entry. 

I love it. Grill on it at least 3 times a week and have done probably half a dozen smokes with it. Held at 250 +/- 10 degrees for 16 hours with a brisket and there was still plenty of charcoal left.

I'll probably get a ceramic when this thing wears out but honestly I don't know when that will be. It's been a solid unit for me. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Never considered that before...though using it that way is not ergo unless I prop it up high.  And then it has no bucket style Ash catch like the Gold series kettles.

As you say, you need to prop it up if you want to grill standing, and use longer tongs. If I'm doing it I usually put it next to (not in front of) a chair and grill seated. The ash isn't really an issue, I still leave the coal grate and the coal ring in place so the ashes fall down below the coals, but you do need to scoop it out after a few cooks.

Based on you grilling far more frequently than smoking, the Performer is hard to beat for convenience.

19 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Seems pricey.  It needs to be a lot better than the Smokenator for 2X the price.

my setup posted above uses a cast iron dutch oven as the water pan.  dump coals on one side, light one end, cast iron helps hold the heat.  the dutch oven couldn't have cost more than $20 at academy. 

i also have a smokenator, which works fine.  compared to a 1/3 ring of coals with the cast iron, using large chunks of wood is more difficult, as is refilling the coals.