Mad Men

HouTex

1 hour ago, Pokoloco said:

We're on the third rewatch. So damn good. I'm not a fan of Betty this time around, the first two times I was just smitten I guess- it's been a few years. 

the hg rewatch is entirely office and don.  betty is basically a guest star that has a couple cameos per season.  it's glorious.

• Like 1

Fat Betty is a beating. I hate the Sally-Glen thing too, but damn if that frustration doesn't come off with the same frustration as I imagine being the father of a daughter would bring.

Can't fault the way it is written.  Have rewatched 3X after not liking the series AT ALL on my first few attempts at watching.  It is fucking brilliant.

Edited by slorch

Just finished my third rewatch.  I got more out of the last episode than I did in the past. 

Spoiler

Don's last conversations with the important women in his life (Sally, Betty, Anna's niece, and Peggy) set Don on his heels.  This is followed by his reaction to Leonard (the guy in therapy talking about how he is an item in the refrigerator waiting to be chosen when the light comes on).  Don hugs him, but it's not a breakthrough.  It's his realization of how people desire for love and respect from others.  Leonard sees himself as a product.  Don gets it, but not as self-referential.  Instead, he realizes that instead of pitching the virtues of the product to people, he needs to pitch their desires for love and respect to them by way of the product.  He meditates on it and uses it to sell Coca Cola. 

The little repeated bell in the last scene reminded me of the Soprano's finale even if it was more of an "idea" or "light bulb" indicator.

Maybe everyone else caught this the first time through, but I'm a little slow, it seems.

Edited by dcbc

30 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Just finished my third rewatch.  I got more out of the last episode than I did in the past. 

Hide contents

Don's last conversations with the important women in his life (Sally, Betty, Anna's niece, and Peggy) set Don on his heels.  This is followed by his reaction to Leonard (the guy in therapy talking about how he is an item in the refrigerator waiting to be chosen when the light comes on).  Don hugs him, but it's not a breakthrough.  It's his realization of how people desire for love and respect from others.  Leonard sees himself as a product.  Don gets it, but not as self-referential.  Instead, he realizes that instead of pitching the virtues of the product to people, he needs to pitch their desires for love and respect to them by way of the product.  He meditates on it and uses it to sell Coca Cola. 

The little repeated bell in the last scene reminded me of the Soprano's finale even if it was more of an "idea" or "light bulb" indicator.

Maybe everyone else caught this the first time through, but I'm a little slow, it seems.

Alan Sepinwall wrote something similar about the ending in his finale recap.

He created a nice niche for himself as the foremost Sopranos and Mad Men expert back in the day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah Weiner didn't give Betty much of arc. She played the heel well though. I think she primarily functioned as water cooler discussion. Why would Don cheat on her with women that were: many times not as hot and even sometimes older?

being a shitty actress helped her with the role 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/21/2023 at 10:46 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Alan Sepinwall wrote something similar about the ending in his finale recap.

He created a nice niche for himself as the foremost Sopranos and Mad Men expert back in the day. 

Sepinwall wasn't my favorite back when recaps were a thing but he was great on those two in particular. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Give me Maggie Siff as the GOAT Don mistress. Still very hot, but she was a smoke show in 2007. 

Dr. Faye coming in a VERY close second. Don should have married her instead of Megan. It would saved him a shit ton of money. But after watching Hot Tub Machine, I completely understand his decision. 

If we're taking a poll, my vote would go to Miss Farrell

Every Woman Don Draper Has Slept With on 'Mad Men' - So Far | Entertainment  Tonight

• Like 1

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Give me Maggie Siff as the GOAT Don mistress. Still very hot, but she was a smoke show in 2007. 

Dr. Faye coming in a VERY close second. Don should have married her instead of Megan. It would saved him a shit ton of money. But after watching Hot Tub Machine, I completely understand his decision. 

MV5BZGJhZDZjMTktNDM4NC00MTU4LTlkZDMtYmMw

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah Weiner didn't give Betty much of arc. She played the heel well though. I think she primarily functioned as water cooler discussion. Why would Don cheat on her with women that were: many times not as hot and even sometimes older?

Its pretty obvious Don was a degenerate and would cheat no matter what
  • Hook 'Em 1

The Trudy nighties were A+++. Still one of the more baffling divorces of the show. Pete spots his FIL with a giant African American prostitute at a whorehouse, and the FIL is the one that spills the beans. 

Normally I’d say mutual assured destruction, but Pete’s FIL knew his wife would never leave him and he hates Pete. So he rolled the dice and won. 

And it's not even close. 

Her bolt ons arent close to Jessica Pare or even January Jones. Linda Cardellini was plain enough to play Thelma. She’s got personality but with the quality of tail Don was pulling, she’s just part of the pack.

If you saw her at first sight walking down the street you wouldnt even notice. Not to pile on, but I used to confuse her with Elliott Page.
  • Haha 2

On 6/24/2023 at 11:43 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Check out Lost and Delirious

after the merger, when they're waiting on don and brainstorming stuff for margarine, they're all getting frustrated and ginsberg says something and ted shoots him down, and ginsberg is like, "i thought no bad ideas" and ted is like "nobody said that."

i would love to toss that out during a "no bad ideas" brainstorming call.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

after the merger, when they're waiting on don and brainstorming stuff for margarine, they're all getting frustrated and ginsberg says something and ted shoots him down, and ginsberg is like, "i thought no bad ideas" and ted is like "nobody said that."

i would love to toss that out during a "no bad ideas" brainstorming call.

I've discussed with both of my kids scenarios in which something akin to "I don't think about you at all," totally would level a fool.  I'll update if either of them ever pulls it off.  Maybe in the Dad thread.  I don't know.

• Like 1

Forgot how funny some of the episodes were, just watched the John Deere one.  They gave Slattery some of the best damn lines- 'he might lose his foot' 'right when he got it in the door' - just awful.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2