Tarrant GOP'ers wants to eject " practicing, Mosque-attending muslim" from leadership

Gil Bang

Big tent, etc.  Sounds as though "some" of them aren't fucking bigots, thankfully

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article218212745.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

BY ANNA M. TINSLEY

atinsley@star-telegram.com

September 13, 2018 08:52 PM

Updated September 13, 2018 09:19 PM

A controversial plan to oust a top Tarrant County Republican official because he’s Muslim was revived late Thursday.

Republican Dorrie O’Brien proposed that the appointment of Shahid Shafi — who was named vice chairman of the local GOP this summer — be reconsidered in a secret ballot vote at the next party meeting after the Nov. 6 midterm election.

One Republican booed after O’Brien voiced her request during a meeting of local Republican party precinct chairs.

Tarrant County Chair Darl Easton, whose appointment of Shafi was approved by Republicans earlier this year, acknowledged O’Brien’s request.

Shafi declined to comment on the motion, but when he later stood to introduce himself, dozens of Republicans gave him a standing ovation.

He told the crowd he was born in India and became a U.S. citizen in 2009.

“Since then, all I have tried to do was serve our country,” said Shafi, a Southlake city councilman. “When Chairman Easton asked me to serve as vice chair, I was honored.

“I’m proud to be an American and I’m proud to be a Republican,” he said, prompting another small standing ovation.

This moment came less than a month after a small group of local Republicans began calling for Shafi’s removal from party leadership.

Taking ‘our Party back’

O’Brien declined to discuss Thursday night why she made the motion to remove Shafi, but she recently posted on Facebook that Shafi is “a practicing Muslim and a MB (Muslim Brotherhood) operative.”

“If it wasn’t so dangerous to Texas and to our republic, I could let it go,” she wrote. “But it IS that dangerous and I can’t just sit by and watch it happen. I have to speak out regardless of threats of lawsuits to silence me or threats that I’ll be personally responsible for turning Tarrant County blue, or attempts at public disdain to shame me into shutting up.”

Her post echoed similar controversial posts made this summer that also asked for the removal of Shafi from party leadership.

“Dr. Shafi is a practicing, Mosque-attending muslim who claims not to follow sharia law or know what it is,” Republican Sara Legvold wrote on the Protect Texas Facebook page in calling for his removal. “As a practicing muslim that is an overt falsehood. Sharia law is anathema to our Constitution because Islam recognizes no other law but shariah.

“As the most conservative county in the nation, this is a demoralizing blow to the conservative rank and file of the Republican Party across the nation and in Texas.”

RELATED STORIES FROM FORT WORTH STAR TELEGRAM

‘It is time we took our party back.’ Some Tarrant Republicans want Muslim leader out

‘Bigotry has no place in our party.’ Republicans disgusted by Tarrant Muslim controversy

She also wrote that “it is past time we took our Party back with no apologies to anyone.”

Many local Republicans have condemned the move.

“Dr. Shafi is a good man and this is inappropriate,” District Clerk Tom Wilder said Thursday night.

Easton has spoken against this effort, calling it disgusting and embarrassing.

“The leadership of the Tarrant County Republican Party unequivocally rejects the religious discrimination being demonstrated by a few members of our Party,” Easton said in a statement last month. “Intolerance, based on one’s faith, has no place in the construct of Tarrant County GOP policy, and violates the very principles and moral values upon which our Nation and the Republican Party were founded.”

Flaring up

O’Brien, a Republican precinct chair from Grand Prairie, made her motion soon after the meeting at the Faith Creek Church in Richland Hills began.

She gave notice that she plans to bring forward a motion at the party’s November meeting to “amend the motion to ratify the appointment of Shafi” by secret ballot.

Another member called a point of order, a parliamentary move, saying O’Brien’s request shouldn’t include how such a reconsideration take place.

This issue began flaring up again recently on social media, particularly when local Republican James Trimm posted an article he wrote — Has Tarrant County GOP turned its back on Israel? — on Facebook.

He noted that Tarrant County is the largest red area across the state and nation and “If Tarrant County goes, so will go the state of Texas and the nation.”

“If Dr. Shafi himself will publicly state that he will support Israel with Jerusalem as its undivided capital and oppose creation of a Palestinian State within the historic borders of Israel, I will not only support him, I will spread the message of his support worldwide,” Trimm wrote. “Yet, to date, he has failed to do so.”

Wow:

“If it wasn’t so dangerous to Texas and to our republic, I could let it go,” she wrote. “But it IS that dangerous and I can’t just sit by and watch it happen. I have to speak out regardless of threats of lawsuits to silence me or threats that I’ll be personally responsible for turning Tarrant County blue, or attempts at public disdain to shame me into shutting up.”

If you’re Muslim....or black...or frankly, anything but a “piss your pants, scared of the whole world” old white person, I truly have no idea why you’d be a member of the Trumpublican party.

I mean, I know why you were a member of the old GOP...but I can’t imagine why you’d stay.

Muslims: the enemy.
Black People: the enemy of law and order.
Hispanics: murderers and rapists and not real Americans.

Let the scared old white folks have their safe and angry place. Then lock them inside, throw away the key, and never give them any political power again.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

If you’re Muslim....or black...or frankly, anything but a “piss your pants, scared of the whole world” old white person, I truly have no idea why you’d be a member of the Trumpublican party.

I mean, I know why you were a member of the old GOP...but I can’t imagine why you’d stay.

Muslims: the enemy.
Black People: the enemy of law and order.
Hispanics: murderers and rapists and not real Americans.

Let the scared old white folks have their safe and angry place. Then lock them inside, throw away the key, and never give them any political power again.

Add women to that list.  I'm a heterosexual white male and I really have no clue why anyone who isn't a heterosexual white male would want to be a member of the Republican party.  

• Like 2

Deadspin had their dead letters up this weekend showing emails after an article saying Trump is terrible for denying the PR deaths.  Relevant letter:

To: Albert Burneko

Your piece doesnt describe the president so you MUST be describing yourself. Which we TOTALLY believe.

When this world is perfect, there wont be anymore hate-mongerers filling our media waves.

Someday, all the full-of-shit asshole SNOWFLAKES like YOU will just be a distant, faint memory.

If you cant SEE he/we are TRYING to make muslims LEAVE this country instead of just KILLING THEM ALL like MANY COUNTRIES have already done! If you cant see that, you are too BLIND to be an objective reporter.

You ARE what we call FAKE NEWS. Because you tell a news item, putting your own feelings all throughout the message. Thats NOT jounalism. Thats just your stupid, LITTLE opinion.

Why dont you go back to school and learn how to report an item HONESTLY?

As MOST so-called, self-aggrandized “REPORTERS” need to do in today’s world.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Feel free to tour the thousand emails from sub-literate Trump supporters.

https://deadspin.com/dead-letters-special-what-donald-trump-supporters-are-1829074939

19 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Add women to that list.  I'm a heterosexual white male and I really have no clue why anyone who isn't a heterosexual white male would want to be a member of the Republican party.  

Because Jesus is my guess

Edit: Well probably not the Muslim.

Edited by SimonBolivar

On 9/16/2018 at 10:30 AM, Larry T. Spider said:

I would typically feel terrible for the Muslim guy in this situation. But, he actively sought to join a group that is widely known for its hatred of Muslims. Take a quick tour of Texags to see how Texas Republicans feel about people of his faith. Sorry if I don’t lose any sleep over this one.

what was the Groucho Marx joke?   "I would never belong to a club that wanted to deport me"   Or something like that.

My favorite email from the Deadspin piece.  It's sort of an existential haiku.  William Carlos Williams on an LSD-induced psychotic break:

He’s the worst? Are you sure it’s not your insane psychotic dyke Hillary, who rubs her. Pussy In everyone’s face to get what she wants.
Even gay men are waking up to the left’s lies.
After the midterms, even if democrats have their “ blue wave” of feces
Americans are so fed up antifa black lives matter La Raza will be beat to death in the streets
White people will be so fed up
All these degenerate losers will
Finally be done. Democrats are screwed
After they find out how they been robbing people they and their republicunts
Operatives will be dead.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2018 at 5:33 PM, Gil Bang said:

“As a practicing muslim that is an overt falsehood. Sharia law is anathema to our Constitution because Islam recognizes no other law but shariah.

“As the most conservative county in the nation, this is a demoralizing blow to the conservative rank and file of the Republican Party across the nation and in Texas.”

like 1000 spoons

8 hours ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Blame it on "Aspirational Marketing."

It's the inverse of why young suburban white kids want to be rappers from the 'hood.

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My favorite email from the Deadspin piece.  It's sort of an existential haiku.  William Carlos Williams on an LSD-induced psychotic break:

They fuck you up, your mum and dad.   
    They may not mean to, but they do.   
They fill you with the faults they had
    And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
    By fools in old-style hats and coats,   
Who half the time were soppy-stern
    And half at one another’s throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
    It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
    And don’t have any kids yourself.

On September 16, 2018 at 12:33 PM, Brisketexan said:

Whoring yourself is easy money. 

• 2 weeks later...