Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

22 hours ago, Celery Man said:

The first Beto talking head ad (that he recorded live in 3-4 takes on Facebook) is fairly weak, I think.  His newer ones where he has a little teeth are better.  I get what he's doing, I think - the whole campaign is about being personal, visiting everyone, being one on one, not having strategists, etc.  The ads are the same.  Time between shooting the ads and they are on the air is non existent.  I kinda like that, but meanwhile, look at what MJ Hegar is doing with ads, even beyond the Doors one

I think she's going to lose but I totally get your point. The iphone stuff from Beto's campaign has gotten old. They went M.I.A. on television for a month and let Cruz define him. That could be the difference in the race.

I don't know why they couldn't put out something clean "cookie cutter" like this to better introduce yourself to moderate/conservative voters on the fence about you.

11 hours ago, GRHorn said:

This was a good post.  Kudos on the fan fiction line.

In a lot of ways the Texas GOP is behind the rest of the country, but they’ll come around. Hell, we’ll eventually have legal pot here too. 

The platform they lay out strikes me as including some ideals that’ll never happen that they include to garner support from a wide variety of constituents.  I’m sure the Dem party is similar in that respect.  

I guess I’m more pragmatic on a lot of these things.  I don’t support abortion, but it’s been around so long it’s a settled deal. I give literally zero thought to it outside of the fact that I find late term abortions disgusting. 

I look at gay marriage the same way.  I don’t care who wants to get married. Most younger people don’t. Evangelicals acting through the Republican Party long term aren’t going to be able to do anything about it, so it’s not an issue that I give much thought to when voting.  Republicans use of the state to oppose that will only diminish from here.

I suppose it is is somewhat big of you to admit that you got totally owned by a post on a message board. Why don’t you come back when the Texas Republican Party you so fervently worship gets its shit together.

10 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I suppose it is is somewhat big of you to admit that you got totally owned by a post on a message board. Why don’t you come back when the Texas Republican Party you so fervently worship gets its shit together.

He had a couple good points and a line that made me chuckle. I can give people credit. Owned? Meh.   

And I explain how my views differ from the Republican platform on a few issues, but you circle back to how I fervently worship them?  Ok.  

2 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

He had a couple good points and a line that made me chuckle. I can give people credit. Owned? Meh.   

And I explain how my views differ from the Republican platform on a few issues, but you circle back to how I fervently worship them?  Ok.  

If you’re being honest your views differ radically from the Texas Republican Party platform. So which is it? Are you being truthful that your views are completely different, and if so that begs the question as to how you’ve got their support?

Its a legitimate question as to why you continue to support a party that has views so contrary to your own, at least as you say so here. 

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

I don't give  a damn about who or where you worship. Man, God or Flying Spaghetti Monster. It doesn't matter even a little to me. Well, If you want to go full on throwback to being a Druid and disemboweling yourself when the harvest goes to shit....No I can't wish that upon anybody. 

I do care about who you vote for and why. Did you or did you not vote for Trump? Did you vote for Rs straight down the line? Or can you even vote in America? Tell us.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I'm not a basketball fan at all, but Lebron is a better citizen and has done more to make the world a better place than just about anyone on this board.  

He has gone beyond the normal celebrity/superstar in enriching the world around him.  I commend him for that, but he also gets a huge amount of press attention, that points out every little thing he does.  To say he is a better citizen than others who do things outside of the spotlight is a bit over the top.   I'd say he is an exemplary citizen and sets a great role model for others.  People might disagree with his message, but he comes across as sincere and educated in his delivery.  Not self serving.  

17 hours ago, Js1 said:

There’s a Beto yard sign 2 doors down from my mom in a gated community in Spring. She’s fucking triggered by it. I hope it ruins her day every time she drives by it. 

Why do you hate your mom!!

17 hours ago, Js1 said:

There’s a Beto yard sign 2 doors down from my mom in a gated community in Spring. She’s fucking triggered by it. I hope it ruins her day every time she drives by it. 

Your mom and my mom should hang out. She insists on saying ROBERT O'Rourke over and over again like some angry toddler. Also I had no idea Beto is pretending to be Mexican. Did you guys know that? Apparently that's the big thing going around Sun City these days. Fucking christ.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Your mom and my mom should hang out. She insists on saying ROBERT O'Rourke over and over again like some angry toddler. Also I had no idea Beto is pretending to be Mexican. Did you guys know that? Apparently that's the big thing going around Sun City these days. Fucking christ.

Yeah my stepmom said that to me last week.  I made a comment about the Canadian-born Cuban.

10 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Hey can you blame him? Everyone knows that the only way to get elected in this state is to pretend to be a Mexican. Just look at who’s gotten elected in the past. That Robert O’Rourke is one smart dude. He should start wearing a sombrero around with a thick dark mustache to seal this deal. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, JimmyJames said:

Hey can you blame him? Everyone knows that the only way to get elected in this state is to pretend to be a Mexican. Just look at who’s gotten elected in the past. That Robert O’Rourke is one smart dude. He should start wearing a sombrero around with a thick dark mustache to seal this deal. 

Juan Cornyn

Ted Cruz

Daniela Patrick

Gregorio Abbott

Obviously.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah my stepmom said that to me last week.  I made a comment about the Canadian-born Cuban.

BUT WHY do you hate your mom and call her an idiot?

24 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Fox News really did a number on our olds. Spent the past 20 years brainwashing them under our very noses in plain sight. Really amped it up when that Kenyan born Muslim somehow got in office and only Donald trump would tell the truth and demand he produce the long form birth certificate. It’s why he’s such a damn hero to them. 

Ok, so there’s like 6 different ways to get a your mom joke out of this
- likes big things joke
- has what’s going around Sun City joke
- always shouting the wrong guy’s name joke
- toddler role playing joke
- the moms getting together joke
- that’s not Christ that’s Jesus the yard man religious-sexual-racial combo joke

Am I missing anything?
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

If you’re being honest your views differ radically from the Texas Republican Party platform. So which is it? Are you being truthful that your views are completely different, and if so that begs the question as to how you’ve got their support?

Its a legitimate question as to why you continue to support a party that has views so contrary to your own, at least as you say so here. 

I don’t see what’s so hard to understand. I agree with some of their positions, some I don’t. I guess overall I weigh the ones I agree on as more important to me. Some of the ones I disagree on, I believe are trending quickly to obsolescence so it doesn’t affect my vote.  

Should I do a protest vote for Dems because I don’t give a shit if gay people get married and think it’s a waste of time for Republicans to try to prohibit it? But then I may have supported someone who wants to give me higher taxes or more liberal court appointees?  Those are longer term consequences than fighting some social trend that won’t be an issue in 5 years.

For all the shit talking on here about how Trump supporters will support anything, y’all seem to have trouble comprehending anyone that doesn’t check every box.  Maybe y’all need to look in the mirror. 95% of all CR posters seem to be in lockstep on everything. The only poster I can think of off the top of my head that ever disagrees with the mob and is coming from the left side is Bad Teammate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Honestly, what is the point of this post? Maybe he hates her, maybe he just thinks she is an idiot. Why do you care so much?

Because it's jarring to read (go read the worst dorm roommates thread)

4 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I don’t see what’s so hard to understand. I agree with some of their positions, some I don’t. I guess overall I weigh the ones I agree on as more important to me. Some of the ones I disagree on, I believe are trending quickly to obsolescence so it doesn’t affect my vote.  

Should I do a protest vote for Dems because I don’t give a shit if gay people get married and think it’s a waste of time for Republicans to try to prohibit it? But then I may have supported someone who wants to give me higher taxes or more liberal court appointees?  Those are longer term consequences than fighting some social trend that won’t be an issue in 5 years.

For all the shit talking on here about how Trump supporters will support anything, y’all seem to have trouble comprehending anyone that doesn’t check every box.  Maybe y’all need to look in the mirror. 95% of all CR posters seem to be in lockstep on everything. The only poster I can think of off the top of my head that ever disagrees with the mob and is coming from the left side is Bad Teammate. 

They're radicalizing terrorists, but you don't care about that because they'll cut your taxes. Yeah, that sounds perfectly reasonable.

• Like 1

Yeah, many young republicans I know don't care who marries who, or about smoking the devil's lettuce. I also live in Portland ,which I was shocked that there were republicans here. The Republican governor is pretty liberal on abortion something I hate, but he has a an actual plan on fixing schools here. Oregon has the 3rd worst graduation rate in the country, and that's disgusting as well.

Edited by workswithseed

Just now, Dahobbs said:

It sounds like she is an idiot. I don't find that very jarring; there are a lot of them. 

I would never call my sainted mother an idiot (j/k if you can't tell, we all have idiotic moments, parents included).