Mary Poppins Returns

Patrick Bateman

^^^yeah she was a badass in Edge of Tomorrow.

Something about her voice is off but yeah, we're in. In for anything Emily Blunt does. The animated scenes look interesting. I will say this follows the reboot/sequel format of the happy kids turning into sullen adults who need the childhood figure to return to connect them to what used to make them happy. 

Edited by mdmost

Are my kids excited? Who gives a shit, I'm excited. Seeing Admiral Boom's house gave me chills.

Will be interesting to see if they can pull it off. They did a good job with Saving Mr Banks.

And no, Julie Andrews cannot be replaced. And Neither can Marnie Nixon.

And yeah my kids are excited they are all in their thirties and Disneycrazy.

• 2 months later...

We really enjoyed. My wife is a Mary Poppins purist and was skeptical of it going in. She was enthralled. They did such a good job doing some throwbacks but not obvious winks to the first movie. The animation scenes were so well done. My only wish was they didn't let you know Dick Van Dyke was in this one so the surprise at the end was better. A very refreshing movie in our cynical times. 

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

We have tickets for the show on Sunday.  I'm really looking forward to it.

If they remake The Sound of Music, though, I don't know if I could stomach it.

It was bad and I'm a big fan of musicals and Carrie Underwood's voice and legs.

Sound_of_Music_Live!_logo.png

I hate musicals, just went to make wife happy, and I tolerated it.  It was well done.  She loved it.  I will say the bits with the admiral made me chuckle.  I understand it was all new songs but I was a little let down that they did not at least do spoon full of sugar since that’s the signature song (they did have like two bars of it as a segue to a scene at the beginning)

Edited by ClubWhatever

It was the exact same movie but well enough executed that I wasn’t offended. Was just a little too long for my 2yo to handle and my 5yo was losing interest at the end, but that’s why we did the 620 M&E that has larger seats and more space than Alamo...let them stretch out.

The blended animation scenes in the bowl were outstanding.