The movie you just watched

F250

Last page was funny. I cant stand Renner or Amy Adams. They basically ruined Arrival for me. 

I dont know what it is, I mean they can both obviously act. Just something turns me off about those two.

For any other anime dweebs, watched Galaxy Express 999 the other night. Couldn't get enough of it. Weird but not too weird - reminded me A LOT of the original Star Wars. 

18 hours ago, RPM said:

Winchester. Wasn't sure what to expect, but Helen Mirren so I was in. Turned out to be a really good horror flick. Side note: It was produced by Blacklab Entertainment.

so the snowcone guy falls through a trapdoor into a scat room?

I'm watching Mystic River right now. Damn it's still good. It just scratches the surface of what peak Sean Penn could have been as an Irish Mob boss. It's not a gangster movie, but you see the flashes from Penn. "IS THAT MY DAUGHTER IN THERE?!" is overacting, but I kind of think it works in the context of the film. Kevin Bacon always good in everything. Probably Tim Robbin's second best role. 

State of Grace should have worked with that cast, but it just didn't. Probably came out 10-15 years too early. 

The Front Runner. Hugh Jackson as former Democratic presidential candidate Gary Hart who was taken down by an affair story.

A lot of interesting behind the scenes stories. J.K. Simmons and Vera Farmiga costar.

I caught Risky Business yesterday.  Random thoughts:

- Perfect 80s time capsule that stands up to time.  Still highly entertaining.

- Had to check the credits after, had some Michael Mann touches in it.

- With the subject matter, I don't think they could make it today.  Even if they did, know one would believe you could throw a party like that on the North shore of Chicago without the cops being called in 5 seconds.

- The hookers at the party all looked like they stepped out of a Nagel print

- I would've given a good chunk of my college tuition for a session with Rebecca DeMornay

- Got me to research vintage 928 values.  Might be a future project.

• Like 1

Murder Mystery: Netflix original with Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston. I enjoy all the crappy NFLX originals; I'm the only one I know who actually liked Sandy Wexler, so my opinion doesn't count and is clearly biased with these fun films.

The Mule: My parents saw this and said it was meh, everyone I talked to said it was meh, so I was pretty low expectations going into it and thought it was pretty solid. I just thorougly enjoy Clint Eastwood being a crotechety old man and inadvertantly saying racist things or asshole things because he's just old with no filter.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Murder Mystery: Netflix original with Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston. I enjoy all the crappy NFLX originals; I'm the only one I know who actually liked Sandy Wexler, so my opinion doesn't count and is clearly biased with these fun films.

The Mule: My parents saw this and said it was meh, everyone I talked to said it was meh, so I was pretty low expectations going into it and thought it was pretty solid. I just thorougly enjoy Clint Eastwood being a crotechety old man and inadvertantly saying racist things or asshole things because he's just old with no filter.

His acting range knows no bounds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Hail, Caesar. Was expecting a better story or movie or something. Brolin was really good here but the story wasn’t very compelling. I’d call this a rare miss from the Coen Bros.

I think they just made it as an excuse to do the sendups of old movies.  It's definitely lesser Coen Bros but I enjoyed it.  

12 hours ago, Continental Op said:

I think they just made it as an excuse to do the sendups of old movies.  It's definitely lesser Coen Bros but I enjoyed it.  

It had a pretty amazing cast: Brolin and Clooney obviously, but Jonah Hill, ScarJo, McDormand obviously, Channing Tatum, Wayne Knight(!), Tilda, etc.

On 6/8/2019 at 4:16 AM, Rougarou said:

Secret Life of Pets 2. Took about half the movie to get used to Patton oswalts softer, chubbier voice compared to Louis CK, but ultimately this was better than the first one 

giphy.gif

I took my kids and we all universally agreed it was awful and didn't hold a candle to the first one.

Just saw Vice on a plane. Took me a double take but the costume/makeup they did to transform Bale to Cheney is awesome. Also Amy Adams hit it out of the park. Also lol at learning Tyler Perry was Colin powell.

As someone who was very young during that era it was also enlightening. In certain areas I grew in my disgust and contempt and in others in my empathy.

If you liked Chernobyl, you'll like The Icebreaker (Ledokol). 2016 Russian film about the breaker Mikhail Gromov that got stuck in the Ross sea in 1985 and the ensuing clusterfuck that nearly killed them all. All in Russian with subtitles on Amazon.

Edited by RPM

Brooklyn's Finest. I'm a sucker for New York cop films, but there are some Wire-ish elements to the film.It scratches the surface of Wesley Snipes as a crime boss. What could have been. Cheadle is good in everything. 

It's also a flawed film. Not the right roles for Ethan Hawk and Richard Gere, but Gere pulls it off better. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

On 6/3/2019 at 2:01 PM, Fud said:

Watched Lone Star, which bored the **** out of my wife due to its length, but I thought it was outstanding. Instead of bashing you over the head with social issues like say, Crash, it weaves the issues in and out of the story masterfully in the backdrop of an interesting murder mystery. 9/10.

lone star is tremendous, and about as texas as a movie can get.  haven’t watched it in a couple years, will remedy that and right soon. 

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:16 AM, Rougarou said:

Secret Life of Pets 2. Took about half the movie to get used to Patton oswalts softer, chubbier voice compared to Louis CK, but ultimately this was better than the first one 

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:31 PM, Sbbruin said:

giphy.gif

I took my kids and we all universally agreed it was awful and didn't hold a candle to the first one.

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:05 PM, Rougarou said:

Interesting indeed. My family universally agreed the opposite. We clearly should fight in a battle royale.

I read these last night.  And now I seriously can't get this image of you two out of my head.
Theroux_Evil_DJ.gif