The movie you just watched

F250

Conan the Destroyer. Let’s take everything that was awesome about Conan the Barbarian, leave it out, and make a movie with what is left.

Aquaman. I completely zone out in the full CGI scenes. Just boring and uninteresting. The Sicily scene was great. Best of the DC. Worse than the worst Marvel movie.

Amanda Heard would’ve made a better Captain Marvel. She’s much more likable than Larson.

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Conan the Destroyer. Let’s take everything that was awesome about Conan the Barbarian, leave it out, and make a movie with what is left.

Aquaman. I completely zone out in the full CGI scenes. Just boring and uninteresting. The Sicily scene was great. Best of the DC. Worse than the worst Marvel movie.

Amanda Heard would’ve made a better Captain Marvel. She’s much more likable than Larson.

Man I'd disagree with the Bolded part for sure.  I enjoyed Aquaman much more than IM2 and Incredible Hulk.  Probably Thor 2 as well.  Pretty easy to say that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Congo. Liked the book when I was a teen but never saw the movie. Cutting apes in half with a laser beam. Now I hate the book.

I assume this movie was fallout from Jurassic Park when studios decided to make anything by Michael Crichton into a movie.

Yeah, the book is infinitely better than the movie.  There are parts of the movie that borderline make you think it's supposed to be a comedy.  

I've probably read every Crichton book 2 or 3 times.  He includes so much detail that it makes it pretty damn difficult to fit into a 1.5-2 hr screen window.  

On 4/1/2019 at 9:09 AM, CooterBrown said:

I’m laid up with the flu so I’m watching stuff I normally wouldn’t since I have nothing better to do.

This morning it’s Anaconda. I would argue that Jon Voight should’ve won the Oscar for his performance. It’s so over the top perfect for the material.

yes.  voight in anaconda is one of the best awful characters ever.  

On 4/1/2019 at 11:14 AM, BrazilHorn said:

Made my 9 & 12 YO Boys watch "Uncle Buck"

It is amazing what PG in the 80s was vs today.

Ton of language etc that would move it up to PG-13 today.

John Candy was a funny dude.

how many times a day do you feed a dog like that?

Just got out of the advance screening for Pet Sematary. I loved the first one and the book probably reigns supreme on chilling books that I've read, but holy shit that remake was awful. Every single twist from the original is billboarded all over the trailer. Completely floors me that with the millions of dollars that went into it, there couldn't have been one person hired to say "Hey let's not throw in this horrible filler line. Hey let's not completely give the entire story away during the trailer." 

Wanted to be scared by this one and "Us" and walked away disappointed two weeks in a row. 

"Your Name"

Fucking amazing.

They're remaking it into an Americanized version. JJ Abrams producing, Marc Webb (500 Days of Summer) directing, and the Arrival guy writing the screenplay.

And it'll still suck. They'll probably cast Zendaya and Childish Gambino as the leads and destroy this Japanese masterpiece 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ajax said:

"Your Name"

Fucking amazing.

They're remaking it into an Americanized version. JJ Abrams producing, Marc Webb (500 Days of Summer) directing, and the Arrival guy writing the screenplay.

And it'll still suck. They'll probably cast Zendaya and Childish Gambino as the leads and destroy this Japanese masterpiece 

Your name is great. You should check out 5 cm per second if you haven't seen it.

Wondering if anyone here has seen or a fan of Redline. Great little anime flick. Watching rn for probably the 4th or 5th time. 

Oh, yeah, your name didnt need a remake. Fucking stupid. Kind of take issue with you putting Donald Glover and Zendaya in the same sentence, though. Glover can act and has some decent tunes even though he's a fucking cheeseball. 

Edited by ztejas

On 4/1/2019 at 10:15 PM, Billy Pilgrim said:

Watched The Prestige this afternoon on HBO- great, entertaining movie I hadn’t seen in a few years.

2nd only to TDK in the Nolan catalogue. Great film. All time Caine performance and my muse Bowie is great as well. 

/csb - the 2nd time I watched it I had somehow forgotten the twist at the end. So I got to see it twice with the twist somewhat intact. 

So this might get tons of negs, and heretical, but I watched Citizen Kane for the first time and don't get all the hype. Always heard it's one of the greatest movie of all time. Maybe for it's day. I enjoyed it but wasn't blown away like I expected to be. 

Edited by Mo Horn
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

So this might get tons of negs, and heretical, but I watched Citizen Kane for the first time and don't get all the hype. Always heard it's one of the greatest movie of all time. Maybe for it's day. I enjoyed it but wasn't blown away like I expected to be. 

Still, you have to admit it might be fun to run a newspaper.

the bad batch. 

not great but certainly different.  probably the most disturbing depiction of cannibalism that I’ve ever seen on film.  and this girl, suki waterhouse, just gorgeous.  she’s an english actress and model and she’s great to look at.  not a great actress. 

20 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

its pretty underwhelming

20 hours ago, Augustus said:

Snatch.

Unsure how many times I've watched it over the years.

Still fucking greatness.

Coincidentally, watched it last night myself.  Figured I'd only watch the first half hour or so and then hit the sack.  Silly me.  Ended up watching the whole damn thing, as I should have known.

"You take sugar?"

"No thank you, Turkish.  I'm sweet enough."

On 4/7/2019 at 12:24 PM, Mo Horn said:

Citizen Kane broke ground in several areas of technique - camera angles , time lapse, etc.  It probably doesn't have the same impact today because all of the techniques it pioneered have been adopted and used by movies made in the decades since.

• Like 1

watched There will be Blood again. DDL is amazing, storyline of early days of oil production and the American Dream is wonderful history. The music adds so much to the drama and suspense. Also being an atheist, I truly enjoyed the final scene. Did a little googling on 3rd revelation.

The story of The Magnificent Amberson's is the one that to me turns out to be the most interesting.  In this clip, around 3:55 when P. Bogdonovitch talks about the 10 or so people who thought the movie was the greatest thing they had ever seen -- was pretty tragic.

I think A Touch of Evil is a far superior film, but it's filled with flaws, too. Mainly casting Charlton Heston as a Mexican.

On 4/6/2019 at 11:10 PM, ztejas said:

Your name is great. You should check out 5 cm per second if you haven't seen it.

Wondering if anyone here has seen or a fan of Redline. Great little anime flick. Watching rn for probably the 4th or 5th time. 

Oh, yeah, your name didnt need a remake. Fucking stupid. Kind of take issue with you putting Donald Glover and Zendaya in the same sentence, though. Glover can act and has some decent tunes even though he's a fucking cheeseball. 

Fair enough on Glover (but he was terrible in Solo).

Several days later and I'm still reeling from Your Name. No movie has stuck with me like that in a long time. The way the story unfolded was mesmerizing. You really didn't figure out what was going on until 3/4 of the way through, but the story gripped you from the very beginning. And it didn't start with a set-up, or a "get to know the central players" sequence. It kicked right in with the central mystery.

I can't even imagine the American remake doing the same thing.

Watched Casablanca recently as well and thought it was actually really good.

• Like 1

The Lobster, a dark comedic absurdity about a dystopian society where single people sternly encouraged to no longer be single. After watching The Favourite not too long ago followed by the Lobster, I'm not sure if there's a director right now who can put out a more gorgeous movie than Yorgos Lanthimos. Trying to rate this movie is like trying to rate other weird experiences that are well made but are difficult to define or describe, but I'll give it an 8/10.

51 minutes ago, Fud said:

The Lobster, a dark comedic absurdity about a dystopian society where single people sternly encouraged to no longer be single. After watching The Favourite not too long ago followed by the Lobster, I'm not sure if there's a director right now who can put out a more gorgeous movie than Yorgos Lanthimos. Trying to rate this movie is like trying to rate other weird experiences that are well made but are difficult to define or describe, but I'll give it an 8/10.

I haven't seen The Favourite yet, but I really really liked Killing of a Sacred Deer. You should check that one out as well, if you haven't seen it. The whole movie was fucking bananas. Yorgos and Collin Ferrell have a good thing going. I might be a little biased though because I fucking love Collin Ferrell because of In Bruges.