The movie you just watched

F250

My son had the remote this evening and was browsing through the free On Demand movie list.  He ended up selecting Escape from Alcatraz.  I last saw it probably 30+ years ago.  I kept thinking as I was rewatching it tonight that The Shawshank Redemption borrowed a lot from this movie. 

I watched Gifted last night.  Chris Evans (Captain America) raising a 7 yo genius child (his niece).  He faces tough decisions about how to raise her while dealing with a custody battle from rich grandma.  I enjoyed the movie.  The girl was really charming and above average for a child actor.  The movie wasn't groundbreaking or mind shattering - not one that leaves you thinking about it for days afterwards, but it was an enjoyable tribute to love and family.

The Running Man. I don't understand the cult following. Is it so bad, it's good? Are there a lot of Maria Conchita Alonso fans out there?
I'll admit Richard Dawson is pretty darned good as the host, but the villains are just so stupid and over the top. An electric fattie that sings opera, a hockey goalie killer, Jim Brown on a jet pack, what the f*** is going on? 

It was a fun movie in the 80’s and I haven’t seen it in forever. That said I can’t imagine this movie held up at all over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched Eastwood's Mule last night.  The movie touches on themes such as the choices we make balancing work and family, lifelong regret and redemption, but honestly most of that didn't really hit home with me.  What I most enjoyed about the movie was watching Eastwood as a fearless and filterless old man doing whatever the fuck he wanted to do and getting away with it because he was a 90 year old geezer and folks in society (all parts of it) respecting that.  I enjoyed it.  My teenager sat through it and enjoyed it.  Better than average movie.

Edited by bernorange

Saw Rocketman yesterday.  It was entertaining.

The 11yo saw a poster for the upcoming The Dead Don't Die while we were at the theater, so we watched Shaun of the Dead last night.  He thought it was hilarious.

Saw Rocketman yesterday.  It was entertaining.

The 11yo saw a poster for the upcoming The Dead Don't Die while we were at the theater, so we watched Shaun of the Dead last night.  He thought it was hilarious.

My 12yo loved Bohemian Rhapsody and wants to see this one. But I hear it’s much less sanitized. Is that true?

41 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

My 12yo loved Bohemian Rhapsody and wants to see this one. But I hear it’s much less sanitized. Is that true?

I haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody, so I can't give you a direct comparison, unfortunately.  But Rocketman has a lot of clearly depicted cocaine/prescription drug abuse, a suicide attempt, some pretty emotionally brutal parent/child dialogue, and doesn't shy away from dudes making out with each other.  No wangs are on display (no boobies, either, for that matter), but still my 14yo loudly whispered "swordfight!!!" to the 11yo during one scene.  We're pretty much done sheltering them from anything that's not gratuitous/meaningless sex or violence at this point, though.

It was interesting at the least to see their reactions, since they went into this movie knowing very little about Elton John and had no idea what to expect.

Watched Lone Star, which bored the **** out of my wife due to its length, but I thought it was outstanding. Instead of bashing you over the head with social issues like say, Crash, it weaves the issues in and out of the story masterfully in the backdrop of an interesting murder mystery. 9/10.

John Wick 3: it's like the first two, but moreso. 2.5 hours is a long time for a movie with this much action. 8.5/10

Red Riding Trilogy: can't recommend this enough. True Detective-esq in England. Best thing I've watched in awhile. 10/10

Rewatched:
You Were Never Really Here: amazing movie. 10/10
Starry Eyes: great modern slow burner indie unconventional horror. 9/10
A Dark Song: occult/gnostic demon summoning indie journey. 8.5/10

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Caught the latest Halloween on HBO.  Am I remembering correctly that this got a ton of great buzz and hype when it was released, and if so why?

40 year anniversary, Jamie Lee Curtis was in it.

• Like 1

couldn't sleep last night, watched "The Town".  Wow

I'd seen it before, at least I thought I did.  I must have been really tired when I watched it the first time because I felt that I was damn near watching it for the first time.  I've always been a sucker for bank robbery movies but still, damn.  And wasn't this movie not well received if I remember correctly?  Maybe I'm misremembering that too....

4 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

couldn't sleep last night, watched "The Town".  Wow

I'd seen it before, at least I thought I did.  I must have been really tired when I watched it the first time because I felt that I was damn near watching it for the first time.  I've always been a sucker for bank robbery movies but still, damn.  And wasn't this movie not well received if I remember correctly?  Maybe I'm misremembering that too....

Pretty sure it was received pretty well 93% on rotten tomatoes.  Renner won best supporting and the screen play was nominated I think...   I thought it was a really good  movie.

10 hours ago, Parliament said:
19 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:
Caught the latest Halloween on HBO.  Am I remembering correctly that this got a ton of great buzz and hype when it was released, and if so why?

The trailers portrayed it as much "smarter" than a regular slasher flick. It was not.

Yeah I went in thinking they supposedly hit a home run, but it turns out it was just a boring slasher movie. 

+1 on Renner in his more dramatic roles.   Love “Kill the Messenger”

I also liked him in Legacy of Bourne as a nice change of pace from Matt Damon

13 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Pretty sure it was received pretty well 93% on rotten tomatoes.  Renner won best supporting and the screen play was nominated I think...   I thought it was a really good  movie.

Renner was nominated, but didn't win.  Screenplay got nothing.  

Binged: Unbreakable (had never seen it) -> Split -> Glass. I thought it was a pretty fun ride and McAvoy was awesome. In a vacuum I don't think they would be that great, but as a trilogy it was a fun experience that sort of petered out at the end, but whatever.

On a flight: Saw Fantastic Beasts and the follow-up Grindelwald. Meh. Seems like JK Rowling is milking it for money at this point. Good to see Johnny Depp get some work in though and hopefully he can save a bit of money this time.

On 6/3/2019 at 1:06 PM, tbone_ said:

If you let your 12 year old watch BR, Rocketman should be OK. There's drug use and sex. Nothing crazy, though.

One thing I didn't expect even though I probably should have, it is a straight up musical whereas BR was more biopic.

Big Eyes. 

Watched it because I remember the paintings.  Interesting movie and was entertained.  I like history, biographical stuff.

Amy Adams is not hot in this film, cute, but not hot.

Christoph Waltz is almost Hans Landa crazy in the roll of Walter Keane.

6/10 Would recommend.

4 hours ago, David Dennison said:

If you let your 12 year old watch BR, Rocketman should be OK. There's drug use and sex. Nothing crazy, though.

One thing I didn't expect even though I probably should have, it is a straight up musical whereas BR was more biopic.

On 6/2/2019 at 6:45 PM, aggie08 said:

Can you just write the names of the movies? Jesus.

BR was pg-13 where as RM is R. Which is why I was asking.

On 6/3/2019 at 6:02 PM, Go Pokes said:

Just rewatched Catch-22 for the first time in a few decades. Man, I wanna like that movie but I just can’t. Looking forward to seeing if the Hula series does a better job of capturing the book’s tone.

I'm rarely a book fag but the book is so fucking good I've never had a desire to watch this flick.  Although something tells me a modern director might be able to make it work.