The movie you just watched

F250

My kid wanted to watch A League of Their Own. I’d never seen it before. This must’ve been right when Tom Hanks learned to act. He’s terrible in the first half of the movie poorly portraying a drunk but he’s good in the second half. Overall, it’s fine I guess. Anything with Jon Lovitz has to dig itself out of a hole. He’s terrible.

12 hours ago, Elvis said:

Cop Land on Netflix.  What a cast.  I remember when this came out and I think I probably watched it.  I had a lot of other things on my mind in 1997 besides movies though.  

I remember watching it and thinking "Holy shit! Stallone can act!"

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

My kid wanted to watch A League of Their Own. I’d never seen it before. This must’ve been right when Tom Hanks learned to act. He’s terrible in the first half of the movie poorly portraying a drunk but he’s good in the second half. Overall, it’s fine I guess. Anything with Jon Lovitz has to dig itself out of a hole. He’s terrible.

Tom Hanks Thank You GIF

19 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

IMG_2944.webp.9c5071624a6218f4e191878a3bdbaaf0.webp

• Haha 2

Tonight we watched Raiders of the Lost Ark. The 11 YO loved it. She only knew Indy from the Disney rides.

A couple of funny things stood out…

Marion “I was a child! What you did was wrong!”

Indy “You knew what you were doing.”

Alright, Pedophile Jones, that was awkward.

I also got a chuckle out of the first fight in Cairo. All the extras that are killed first get up and roll out of the way of the next wave of attackers. Dude, you were impaled straight through with a sword. You shouldn’t be getting up.

I was so proud my daughter recognized the Wilhelm Scream in the truck scene. She instantly said “I heard that before. I didn’t know it was from this movie!” I then had to explain the history of the Wilhelm Scream.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Tonight we watched Raiders of the Lost Ark. The 11 YO loved it. She only knew Indy from the Disney rides.

I also got a chuckle out of the first fight in Cairo. All the extras that are killed first get up and roll out of the way of the next wave of attackers. Dude, you were impaled straight through with a sword. You shouldn’t be getting up.

I was so proud my daughter recognized the Wilhelm Scream in the truck scene. She instantly said “I heard that before. I didn’t know it was from this movie!” I then had to explain the history of the Wilhelm Scream.

This past summer I binged the 4 (still haven't seen the last one) Indy's. Tried to get the teenagers to watch but they had zero interest. 

On 11/21/2023 at 5:55 PM, HiggyBaby said:

Just came off a transatlantic AA flight. Nothing really grabbed my attention in the new release section but it’s just as well because they had The Fifth Element. That’s always worth a watch. Possibly Gary Oldman's greatest role, and that’s saying a lot .

image.gif.7e1475b7e00e60e6e037e576f7c4e271.gif

Norman Stansfield would like to have a word with you.

On 11/21/2023 at 10:05 PM, CooterBrown said:

All the angry fems always bring this up without even knowing her age.  I'm sure Indy didn't force her.  legal is legal.  

Started rewatching the Young Indy Chronicles tonight with the family. Didn’t realize they’d re-edited and repackaged them since I first watched. They cut out the "old Indy" framing device entirely and jammed them together into 80 minute episodes. Probably most jarring is that they put them in roughly chronological order so they no longer alternate between child Indy and teenaged Indy

So re the indy/Marian thing: he was a grad student at UChicago, so probably early twenties. She was the daughter of his phd supervisor (Ravenwood) so there’s no telling how old she was. "I was just a child" could be idiomatic or could be literal. Still sketchy, but probably not as much as @CooterBrown suggests.

On 11/6/2023 at 7:26 AM, MissingInAction said:

When Evil Lurks

Holy shit. There were several literal jaw dropping moments for me, and I watch some really fucked up shit.

This flick raised the bar on horror, that's for fucking sure.

Can't say much else without spoiling anything because it is 100% original.

I'd never heard of this, so I watched it on your recommendation, as it was included with my AMC+ subscription.

Definitely bizarre.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/21/2023 at 12:54 PM, BeardIP said:

Home Alone 2

Buzz disgusts me. You could tell even then something was off about him and he'd end up being a real creep. https://globalnews.ca/news/8472729/home-alone-buzz-devin-ratray-arrested/

Out of a perverse sense of curiosity I clicked on that link.

Is that one of the most pathetic things you ever read? A watch party with Buzz and questions after? What could someone actually ask him? 

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

IMG_0091.thumb.jpeg.2925f836a570d1f83fef627903c7a2e8.jpeg

This came through my town over the summer.  I’d seen it several times before but never in a theater and wanted to see the 4k. The whole movie isn’t 4k, about 80-85% is, but the parts that are look gorgeous. Obviously not a movie that’s for everyone. 

Ya think?

Went to see Saltburn tonight. I had zero idea what it would be about or what to expect. That was a wild movie with so much unexpected drama. If you have a free couple of hours and want to see a really cool movie with Rosamund Pike as one of the co-stars go and see this.I always enjoy stuff she is in so that made this even more fun to watch.

• Like 1

Ice Cold in Alex (1958) WWII film about a couple of British soldiers, a couple of British nurses and a South African they meet along the way make it 600 miles across the open desert from Tobruk to Alexandria. Much better than I was expecting.

Ice Cold in Alex | War Drama Review

Pigeon Tunnel about the life of John la Carre. Interesting but boring, if that makes sense.  

Mostly it was about him and his dad who was a conman.  Some of the cinematography was wonderful some of it was over the top.

If you like the books like I do,  it might be worth it.  90ish minutes could've shaved 15 off easily.

16 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Dream Scenario with Nic Cage was really, really good. The last movie I saw of his was just a cash grab, but this was some great acting from Cage. Really was just a fantastic performance. 

Apparently Cage got himself out of debt with all of those terrible movies of the past 10 years and has moved back into caring about the script.  

Afire on Criterion Channel, from Christian Petzold (his movie Phoenix from about 10 years ago is really excellent, for anyone who hasn’t seen it).

A slow burn (no pun intended), with an exceedingly unlikely lead that is so good at being unlikeable it almost ruined the movie for me until the final 20 mins or so. 

3 hours ago, slorch said:

saw it when it came out.  Damned sure didn't understand it at age 19.

Shit, I'm not sure I fully understood it now. There are definitely plot holes but I can see how it influenced a future generation of psychological thrillers/horror.

3 hours ago, RPM said:

Unbearable Weight was excellent

"I fucking told you" 😂

On 11/26/2023 at 4:52 PM, Macanudo said:

Apparently Cage got himself out of debt with all of those terrible movies of the past 10 years and has moved back into caring about the script.  

He had one this year that was unfortunate, The Retirement Plan, but they paid him so he did it. This was the opposite of that. 

On 11/26/2023 at 5:07 PM, RPM said:

Unbearable Weight was excellent

That was funny. Any actor that can make fun of themselves like he did in that movie is cool by me.