2018 Ryder Cup: USA v. Europe

Jive Turkey

There are many reasons for USA's loss, but the common theme with the Ryder Cup over the last 20+ years is that, IMO, the US players are overrated using the World Golf Rankings.  The European Tour is very, very good.  Check out the wiki for the ranking of the tournaments with the most points.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_World_Golf_Ranking

They consist of the majors (as it should be) and then the top US tournaments all rank very highly.  For sponsor and TV money the PGA Tour touts itself as by far and away the best tour in the world.  It probably is the best tour, but I don't think it blows away the European Tour.  The European players are great.  IMO, that is the main reason they usually kick our ass.  My view might be different if our losses were fewer and we didn't get blown out as much.  After 1983, our record is 6-11 and we've blown them out (i.e. won by 5 or more points) twice-08 and 16, and they have blown us out 5 times-85, 04, 06, 14, and 18.  They're just damn good overall.

5 minutes ago, HouTex said:

There are many reasons for USA's loss, but the common theme with the Ryder Cup over the last 20+ years is that, IMO, the US players are overrated using the World Golf Rankings.  The European Tour is very, very good.  Check out the wiki for the ranking of the tournaments with the most points.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_World_Golf_Ranking

They consist of the majors (as it should be) and then the top US tournaments all rank very highly.  For sponsor and TV money the PGA Tour touts itself as by far and away the best tour in the world.  It probably is the best tour, but I don't think it blows away the European Tour.  The European players are great.  IMO, that is the main reason they usually kick our ass.  My view might be different if our losses were fewer and we didn't get blown out as much.  After 1983, our record is 6-11 and we've blown them out (i.e. won by 5 or more points) twice-08 and 16, and they have blown us out 5 times-85, 04, 06, 14, and 18.  They're just damn good overall.

truth.  nothing to do with drama, team chemistry, assholes, wives, etc bull shit.  we just suck compared to the euros. 

and fuck patrick reed.  he's a whiny bitch looking to find someone, something else to blame for his poor showing.  oh no, jordan wouldn't play with me cause i'm a dick so i carried a grudge all weekend and fucked up my play.

• Like 1

Also, with 1-2 exceptions, the Euros aren't a bunch of prima donnas and actually see the Ryder and all the tradition and team effort as maybe the #1 thing in golf.  Us?  We're always like the beer league softball team - a few bombs but most of the time can't really play the game the way it was intended.

38 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Lady who was hit by the Koepka ball lost her eye.  Plans on suing the organizers of the event.  "Scans revealed and orbital fracture and exploded eyeball."

Hopefully that doesn't destroy Koepka's confidence and derail his career.

He'll send her a signed glove and never think about it again. 

Apparently Dustin Johnson and Brooks were trying to fight in the Europe Team room on Sunday night...

Golf channel:

U.S. Ryder Cup teammates and close friends Dustin Johnson and Brooks Koepka almost came to blows while visiting their opponent's team room after Europe's 17 1/2-to-10 1/2 drubbing of the U.S. side, according to multiple published reports.

Johnson and Koepka had to be separated, according to witnesses cited in an article in The Telegraph by longtime golf writer James Corrigan.

The source of the friction was not known, and the dust-up was considered unusual because Johnson and Koepka appear to have a very close relationship. They often work out together at trainer Joey Diovisalvi's Joey D Golf Performance Center in Jupiter, Fla.

Johnson and Koepka partnered in the Saturday afternoon foursomes, when they lost to Justin Rose and Henrik Stenson.

Johnson's fiancee, Paulina Gretzky, was reported to have been close by when the alleged incident happened. One of the European players’ wives also was a witness, according to The Telegraph, which also said that "an insider" reported that she was “clearly shocked and upset by the nastiness, which was very threatening."

35 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Golf channel:

U.S. Ryder Cup teammates and close friends Dustin Johnson and Brooks Koepka almost came to blows while visiting their opponent's team room after Europe's 17 1/2-to-10 1/2 drubbing of the U.S. side, according to multiple published reports.

Johnson and Koepka had to be separated, according to witnesses cited in an article in The Telegraph by longtime golf writer James Corrigan.

The source of the friction was not known, and the dust-up was considered unusual because Johnson and Koepka appear to have a very close relationship. They often work out together at trainer Joey Diovisalvi's Joey D Golf Performance Center in Jupiter, Fla.

Johnson and Koepka partnered in the Saturday afternoon foursomes, when they lost to Justin Rose and Henrik Stenson.

Johnson's fiancee, Paulina Gretzky, was reported to have been close by when the alleged incident happened. One of the European players’ wives also was a witness, according to The Telegraph, which also said that "an insider" reported that she was “clearly shocked and upset by the nastiness, which was very threatening."

Koepka would pummel DJ.  

Edited by conVINCEd

Issue between Koepka and DJ may be something related to the girlfriends?

"This (Koepka/DJ) incident occurred at a party on the European team room side, according to Corrigan. His report has been confirmed by multiple outlets on both sides of the Atlantic. Each report characterizes the incident as the two (Koepka/DJ)  “having to be separated.” 

A Golf Digest report on Tuesday cited a source saying Paulina Gretzy, DJ’s fiancee, was a “central figure in the incident” and that Koepka’s girlfriend was also involved.

The report from L’Équipe, a French newspaper, describes an incident on the plane ride over to the Ryder Cup. The report also added that captain Jim Furyk had to talk to both players and ask them to get over the issue and put the team first."

GIRL FIGHT....

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

DJ needs to get his personal life in order. Funny how tiger shit the bed with his wife, Rory got a hardcore Girlfriend and started to shit the bed on the course, and I would guess that DJ is going to shit the bed as well. I feel like he could be a dominant #1 in the world if he would lay if the coke and the whoring, or just dump Paulina. I can’t for the life of me understand why these young guys would even fuck with a spouse while they’re in their prime or entering their prime. 

18 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

DJ needs to get his personal life in order. Funny how tiger shit the bed with his wife, Rory got a hardcore Girlfriend and started to shit the bed on the course, and I would guess that DJ is going to shit the bed as well. I feel like he could be a dominant #1 in the world if he would lay if the coke and the whoring, or just dump Paulina. I can’t for the life of me understand why these young guys would even fuck with a spouse while they’re in their prime or entering their prime. 

i hear you, but got damn, she would be a fun ride.  i think i could forsake other women for awhile for her.

Edited by crash_davis

1 hour ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Undercard for the Tiger/Phil match in Vegas or main event?

Are the girlfriends part of the undercard......

giphy.gif

VS.

Edited by LTtxfan

So has it been confirmed that Patrick Reed is really just a little bitch?

NY Post:

When the US Ryder Cup team’s chartered jet from France arrived in Atlanta on Monday afternoon, word of Patrick Reed’s published rant about being “blindsided’’ by captain Jim Furyk not pairing him with Jordan Spieth had circulated and left some team members livid at his audacity.

One member of Team USA was shocked when he saw Reed complaining about not being paired with Spieth.

“He is so full of s–t,’’ the source told The Post on Monday. “Blindsided my ass. He begged to play with Tiger.’’

“He would have shot 83 on his own ball Saturday,’’ the source said. “He totally screwed Tiger. He has no clue how to play team golf. I saw firsthand how bad of a team player he was. Eleven players understood the concept of team golf and only one didn’t. Unfortunately, that one proved to be too costly for the team to overcome.

“I feel so bad for Jim, because he was an unreal captain. He would have run through a wall for all 12 of the guys. Unfortunately, there were only 11 players that would have returned the favor.’’

PGA players don't like Reed.....

"A year later, ESPN asked 103 professional golfers which of their fellow pros they'd be least likely to help out in a fight. Reed came second. "

Here's a good background on some of Reed's issues in the past....... Seems to be "The Villain" of the PGA....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/golf/article-5593675/Patrick-Reed-Masters-champion-surrounded-controversy.html

PGA players don't like Reed.....
"A year later, ESPN asked 103 professional golfers which of their fellow pros they'd be least likely to help out in a fight. Reed came second. "
Here's a good background on some of Reed's issues in the past....... Seems to be "The Villain" of the PGA....
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/golf/article-5593675/Patrick-Reed-Masters-champion-surrounded-controversy.html

I think Bubba came in 1st. Furyk should have paired them up.
  • Haha 1

Justin Thomas had a great Ryder Cup..... 4 Wins & 1 Loss.
Spieth was ok except for a terrible Singles Match... 3 Wins & 2 Losses
Good point, JT can come too, and Jordan can carry bags while thinking about how he'll be better at singles
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Justin Thomas had a great Ryder Cup..... 4 Wins & 1 Loss.

Spieth was ok except for a terrible Singles Match... 3 Wins & 2 Losses

Simpson met/exceeded expectations by going 2-1 with a win in singles over Justin Rose.  

JT was excellent, Finau basically matched Simpson and Spieth was OK.  The rest of the team should be guillotined.  

• Like 1

I know the players and captains don't get paid.  But who pays for stuff like this?  The fancy parties, all their food/lodging etc?  All those outfits?

For instance, according to the 2016 list, players get "$7,500 to cover out-of-pocket expenses, including spouse/partner's dress and accessories for the Team Welcome Dinner."
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/this-long-list-of-ryder-cup-perks-for-players-caddies-and-significant-others-is-pretty-amazing

trip report:

1) le golf national is a beautiful course and it was a beautiful few days...perfect for golf save for some serious afternoon wind.  course is bizarrely laid out but i was impressed with how many sight lines there were with all those people there.  and there were a lot of fucking people there.  fairways were narrow as fuck and i think i remember seeing fewer than 10 driver shots the entire time...total.  that completely neutralized a few player advantages we had.  definitely intend to play that course next time i am in paris.

2) outside of justin thomas, jordan until sunday, and webb fucking simpson out of nowhere, and finau on sunday, the entire team fucking sucked.  i was particularly disappointed in dj, brooks, fowler, reed, and tiger.  as i have said many times, lumpy fucking sucks and was a total waste of a pick, bubba was meh, and bryson couldn't buy a putt if his life depended on it.  they all looked like shit and seemed to be letting the moment get to them.  they also had no animation whatsoever.  j.t. was the only guy on the team really giving it back to the crowd while all of the euro players were eating it up and heavy on crowd interaction.  our guys looked "overly" focused and like they didn't want to be there.

3) euro guys were definitely feeling it and were way more comfortable.  scrubs like poulter and hatton were hitting miracle shots.  on top of that, their studs (molinari, rose, rahm, fleetwood) were on point.  hats off to them.  they were huge on the putting green and we were not.

4) there were a trillion people there.  us had a good fan presence.  i figured it would be 10% and it was more like 20%.  the euro fans were definitely loud and into it.  no matter where you were on the course, you knew when the euros hit a huge putt because it sounded like a college football roar from a mile away.  i was surprised at the lack of representation from continental europe.  there was a decent french presence just because they were hosts but 75% or more of the euro fans were english/scottish.  fucking everywhere and fucking drunk as shit.  they were fun.  no italians, spanish, german, austrian, and just a few scandanavians for their two nords and dane.  english/scottish fans fucking love them some rory and fleetwood.

5) we got rocked, no two ways about it.  but there were a few really good matches.  i was with some tiger fanboys so we followed him for a while but he sucked so i peeled off to watch jt and jordan most rounds.  was loving jt's energy as he was there to win.  couldn't believe how docile and lame brooks and dj were.  rickie looked like a junior high kid that knew he didn't belong the whole time.  just happy to be there.

6) good times all around but was definitely irritated at the lack of intensity and competitiveness from our team.  seemed like they were on vacation. 

just a few pix...

KXdfh3Qvs-u4btdkQDOlEoebwclW8yqtXThav7Fk

40LOV4HWdy0vlezeR18k5_tta4HKC9MksGK-LuPK

chaviY6kTFYjX6QfHVRnK5Z96R24LrKQVNlft7V5

HLzUewu0aWE-R0IAQnGN9s1DmCC1gFuj8jxRkrDm

EEVXSZuV3qUuCAo0vlDl8HyPue5y2apBinjFxPYj

STbe_JZCbsJYCu-C28zqDh42hlpi8_ixlVZtseKU

tjpDWb2syr3eiLviUdqubc4iwoSAR52MdZIOF_5Z

_l_Yrne247QcNgyrxK3q11Q4EAdh642bzwDRecYi

112vxFJngBtOM4m8HOYKYp1BMTZbgqM5v7azMHZT

f67xGKhpfv6NTHsOQBt-QfQIXsydsCsfQNWZgyCJ

69ZoV-uuk-1kVEkvhnue0fMklasO7FNZGqt3G0tp