2019 Transfer & Grad-Transfer Available Players

LTtxfan

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Now that the 2019 class is done, word is that they think Carson is going to be a fucking beast. We'll see how much of that is bullshit this spring and summer, but the two names mentioned repeatedly as players they wanted to avoid having to discuss with recruits on the depth chart were Vaughns and Carson. If the back channels are to believed, those two are going to be good at their respective positions. The same was being said about Mike Williams and they were pissed and surprised at his abrupt exit. 

Where exactly does Vaughns project?

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I thought the staff did a good job handling the redshirts, given that it was the first year of the rule. The only guy I thought that could have used a redshirt that didn't get one was Cade Brewer.

A number of the guys that got redshirted would disagree. Herman needs to do a better job with the guys he's redshirting. 

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Don't remember hearing that much about Ingram.

LJH and Collin both received a lot of hype this offseason (and delivered). People also said that we had figured out how to use Duvernay, and that was kind of true.

Hudson and Okafor had supposedly figured it out. We won't know the truth on that one since Hudson had his medical issues and they made the (wise) choice to redshirt Okafor.

On defense, Davis was said to finally have his head on straight (true) and the Boyd tax was a thing of the past (false).

All in all, you're right, most of the players who were said to have improved made a positive impact.

As long as we're playing this game, another player mentioned often about being a stud this upcoming season for us is Jalen Green. Maybe he's the balance to Hager, who was hyped as a monster and continued to be a perpetual liability or non factor. 

5 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

A number of the guys that got redshirted would disagree. Herman needs to do a better job with the guys he's redshirting. 

Herman (and the staff, and the players) needs to do a better job closing games out. Within that context, it's quite understandable why most of the freshman didn't play as much as they expected.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

As long as we're playing this game, another player mentioned often about being a stud this upcoming season for us is Jalen Green. Maybe he's the balance to Hager, who was hyped as a monster and continued to be a perpetual liability or non factor. 

I thought Cook was really impressive in the games where he saw extended action.  He did a great job in the 1st Q of Oklahoma State.  I think he will have a Holton Hill in 2017-type year this year (but hopefully without the off-field drama).

Jalen Green was also solid in the Georgia game.  I don't think it's far-fetched to expect big things from that duo.

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You might be right about the bowl game, but I think the staff indicated they didn’t want to play Cosmi so he could focus on gaining strength and learning technique during the year, which could be the same for Carson. Carson could be an absolute freak. His frame could easily carry 290-300 lbs without losing athleticism. 

We’ll see, but I agree we need some guys to step up at 4i and Graham needs to live up to the hype. He’s been hyped for two offseasons in a row now.

I wonder what the staff does if Vaughn’s turns into a beast with ossai already there. Orlando played the B-backer a ton at UH, but hasn’t played it much here, although I think that’s been more due to lack of talent at the position. He’s never played a system with 2 true OLBs though, and I doubt he’d try it in the Big 12. Maybe Ossai bulls up enough by 2020 to play DE?

Can't speak to the last part, and obviously roster stats are to be taken with a grain of salt, but he's listed at 300 lbs on the longhorn player directory. 

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Herman has to win games. He can't play guys that aren't ready to play. 

I dont disagree at all, but we also had now many nail biters and how few blowouts last season? Hard to play redshirts when you're always winning your games by 7 points or less.  

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You might be right about the bowl game, but I think the staff indicated they didn’t want to play Cosmi so he could focus on gaining strength and learning technique during the year, which could be the same for Carson. Carson could be an absolute freak. His frame could easily carry 290-300 lbs without losing athleticism. 

We’ll see, but I agree we need some guys to step up at 4i and Graham needs to live up to the hype. He’s been hyped for two offseasons in a row now.

I wonder what the staff does if Vaughn’s turns into a beast with ossai already there. Orlando played the B-backer a ton at UH, but hasn’t played it much here, although I think that’s been more due to lack of talent at the position. He’s never played a system with 2 true OLBs though, and I doubt he’d try it in the Big 12. Maybe Ossai bulls up enough by 2020 to play DE?

In the Sugar Bowl Orlando sometimes used just 1-2 DL with their hand on the ground on passing downs.  I could see him using 2 hybrids as edge rushers in that situation.  In fact, one time he did that and dropped either Shark or Roach into coverage as a robber.  Vaughns should be able to fill that role against the pass.

15 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

The thought during the 2018 cycle was that Vaughns would be a rover, unless he had some explosive growth and grew into a B-backer, right?

Vaughn’s was a B-backer all the way. He’s pretty tall and I’d be surprised if he has the quickness/agility to play inside, but we’ll see.

7 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

In the Sugar Bowl Orlando sometimes used just 1-2 DL with their hand on the ground on passing downs.  I could see him using 2 hybrids as edge rushers in that situation.  In fact, one time he did that and dropped either Shark or Roach into coverage as a robber.  Vaughns should be able to fill that role against the pass.

True. Orlando has a lot of talent to utilize next year, but it doesn’t exactly fit his historic base defense. It’ll be interesting to see how creative he gets with formations next year in order to get the best 11 (against each scheme/personnel) on the field at all times. 

I expect our defense will look quite a bit more "traditional" next year than it did this year.  Most of that will be out of necessity, because the only two Big XII team still running the pure Air Raid are TCU and OU.  The rest of the conference turnover went the way of much more traditional offense--

• KU will be going backwards 30 years offensively from the pure Air Raid to 3 yards and a cloud of dust.
  • K-State will be going from one of the most innovative offensive minds of all time to one of the most traditional offenses in P5 football.
  • Tech is going to be more of a Chip Kelly/Leach hybrid.
  • WVU is abandoning the Air Raid in favor of a more traditional power spread attack that will likely look a lot like Iowa State.
  • Oklahoma State hasn't been a pure Air Raid team since Weeden/Holgo were there.  Even so, they went with a much more traditional power spread/RPO coordinator in the guy they hired away from Princeton.

4 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

I expect our defense will look quite a bit more "traditional" next year than it did this year.  Most of that will be out of necessity, because the only two Big XII team still running the pure Air Raid are TCU and OU.  The rest of the conference turnover went the way of much more traditional offense--

• KU will be going backwards 30 years offensively from the pure Air Raid to 3 yards and a cloud of dust.
  • K-State will be going from one of the most innovative offensive minds of all time to one of the most traditional offenses in P5 football.
  • Tech is going to be more of a Chip Kelly/Leach hybrid.
  • WVU is abandoning the Air Raid in favor of a more traditional power spread attack that will likely look a lot like Iowa State.
  • Oklahoma State hasn't been a pure Air Raid team since Weeden/Holgo were there.  Even so, they went with a much more traditional power spread/RPO coordinator in the guy they hired away from Princeton.

If Spencer Sanders wins the starting job at Oklahoma St, they will be bringing the RPO to the Big 12 to gargle your balls. 

5 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Has there been any mention of hell, anyone, talking to Jaelan Phillips? Dude was the #1 overall in the composite two years ago.

Injuries. At one point he was just going to retire. 

Maybe some team gives him a look. 

Edited by texasstrong12

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:11 AM, Katfid54 said:

I thought Cook was really impressive in the games where he saw extended action.  He did a great job in the 1st Q of Oklahoma State.  I think he will have a Holton Hill in 2017-type year this year (but hopefully without the off-field drama).

Jalen Green was also solid in the Georgia game.  I don't think it's far-fetched to expect big things from that duo.

And if you have ever seen them with their helmets off, they are the spitting image of one another...am I right?

21 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Is Woodard transferring? He posted on Snapchat a student athlete notification of transfer form.

Hope this is not true.  Woodard hasn't even completed one Winter Workout Program or one Spring Ball Session..... might make more sense to finish out this semester and then decide??

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

So will Bru's waiver request follow current rules since it's probably already submitted???

Or be subject to any modifications from this NCAA Committee that started a comprehensive review of each category of waiver guidelines at Feb 11-12th meetings in Indianapolis??