Texas @ OSU 10/27 7:00 PM ABC

MirrOlure

11 hours ago, Tailgate said:

How are the fans in Stillwater? Slightly tempted to hop on a plane for this one...never been...but don’t want to fight anyone.

I have close family as well as close friends that were OSU grads. All great people. Heard great things about Stillwater as a college town (nothing more obviously) but never been. 

I mean, I would never get on a plane and fly to Oklahoma but if that's your cup of tea then that's one of the better trips you could make I'm sure. 

1 minute ago, Doc Holliday said:

Don't you have some free cornbread to bring me? 

Damn I wish. Only thing I get there is the chicken fried chicken or chicken fried steak. I think it's one of those Austin restaurants that so many people have called overrated that it's kind of underrated now (see: El Arroyo).

10 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

The corners’ getting penalized for being late to practice worries me a little not so much because I think OSU will score at will on our 2s as because it may reflect a current of emotional let-down among the players after that tough stretch and bye.

Disagree.  The Baylor game was the opportunity for the let-down after the tough stretch.  The coaches will have had two weeks to get rested and recharged.  I think the real concerns are the QB play and our ability to withstand a potential home field surge by a Cowboys team that knows how crucial this game is to their season.  This shouldn't be a let-down game, but we'll see on Saturday.

• Like 1

@'stache has more insight, I'm sure.  But based on my viewing of some of oSu's games this year, here's what I would say is the Pokes' quick and dirty scouting report:

Offense:
oSu's offense lives and dies on the ground.  Justice Hill is obviously fantastic, and they're innovative at trying to get him the ball in space.  oSu has a nifty little lead draw play that they like to run with Hill, and he's had a lot of success at it.  But their run game isn't just Hill; Cornelius is actually pretty solid with his feet (maybe less mobile than, say, JW Walsh, but similar to the Seth Russells and Bryce Pettys of the world).

Their passing game is... not great.  From my viewing it seems like Cornelius is pretty solid at throwing deep hitches to outside receivers.  Other than that?  The passing game appears to consist of 50/50 shots at the deep ball down either sideline.  This is not the lethal passing game of Mason Rudolph or Brandon Weeden.

Defense:
oSu's pass rush is fearsome.  They get after the quarterback, and they do it fast.  They're bringing a lot of pressure this year, and they're getting home often.  Frankly, this matchup is a little concerning, given how banged up Sam is.  This is the best pass rush we've seen since USC.

oSu's rush defense is a different animal.  From my viewing, it's been boom or bust.  They are pretty good at snuffing out routine runs, but then they'll bust run fits and give up big plays, too.  They're not as bad as Baylor at stopping the run, but they're not great.

oSu's pass defense is the opposite of their run defense, from my watching.  They are pretty solid at taking away the big play and the deep ball, but they routinely leave a lot of space open to underneath routes, and (given their penchant for pinning their ears back in blitz), they're susceptible to screen plays.

Overall:
I don't love this matchup with a wounded Sam.  This is the kind of pass rush that will totally have Buechele self-sacking if they start getting some pressure on him.  A healthy Sam would be the perfect panacea for oSu's defensive scheme, but I'm not confident we can count on him.

This might end up being a very low scoring slap fight.  Which team can stop the run first?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

You forgot to scout us against backup QBs.  If it's not the regular starter, we have no ability whatsoever to adjust.  Buchele would go wild on our defense if he plays.

We won't put our backup in if you don't put yours in. Deal?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bevo14 said:

We won't put our backup in if you don't put yours in. Deal?

LOL.

Yeah having the opposing backup QBs go something like 15/25 for 375 yards and 4 TDs is kind of our thing.  Bonus points if they are a true freshman or have recently converted from a different position.  In that case you can up the expected stat line to 24/32 for 485 yards and 6 TDs.

12 hours ago, Tailgate said:

How are the fans in Stillwater? Slightly tempted to hop on a plane for this one...never been...but don’t want to fight anyone.

You don't have to worry about fighting anyone. Our friends tend to be overly friendly to all opposing fans.  We always have lots of opposing fans at our tailgate and always have a great time.

If you've never been, just properly set your expectations.  There's nothing great about Stillwater itself. It's a tiny little town in north/central Oklahoma.  Everything about Stillwater revolves around OSU.  So obviously don't expect Austin or even something like Lawrence.  

But the tailgating for football is a blast and since it's homecoming there will be even more people there than usual, plus the weather is supposed to be perfect.  (Sunny, high of 76)

5 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

LOL.

Yeah having the opposing backup QBs go something like 15/25 for 375 yards and 4 TDs is kind of our thing.  Bonus points if they are a true freshman or have recently converted from a different position.  In that case you can up the expected stat line to 24/32 for 485 yards and 6 TDs.

Man--I sure hope that, if Texas has to play a backup this week, it's a true freshman and not Buechele.  Pokes' D-line will rip him to pieces.

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Great.  My favorite big 12 road trip.

Did you go to the game up there in 07 when we came back from 21 down in the fourth quarter? It was something like the sixth consecutive come-from-behind win we had over them. They took it poorly. Threw trash at our team on the field. Eskimo Joe’s was not its usual welcoming environment. A middle-aged pokes fan came to our table, saw our Texas shirts, and knocked all our Joe’s cups all over the bar. Then she just ran away like an 8 year old. But I will agree it’s usually a great place. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Did you go to the game up there in 07 when we came back from 21 down in the fourth quarter? It was something like the sixth consecutive come-from-behind win we had over them. They took it poorly. Threw trash at our team on the field. Eskimo Joe’s was not its usual welcoming environment. A middle-aged pokes fan came to our table, saw our Texas shirts, and knocked all our Joe’s cups all over the bar. Then she just ran away like an 8 year old. But I will agree it’s usually a great place. 

^

^

This man knows his Stillwater and has poked a Poke or two.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

I mean... I can't speak what happened at Joe's, but there was certainly no widespread trash throwing at the team on the field.  The full game is on YouTube and you can watch the ending here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAdtdYXX3vU

I don't see any players or coaches reacting to anything being thrown and the announcers don't say anything.  I'm not saying that not one single person in the stadium didn't throw something on the field, but there was absolutely nothing widespread

The only time I can remember even something remotely happening like that was the Bedlam 2013 game in the west end zone.  But those fuckers deserved it because fuck OU.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I mean... I can't speak what happened at Joe's, but there was certainly no widespread trash throwing at the team on the field.  The full game is on YouTube and you can watch the ending here:

I don't see any players or coaches reacting to anything being thrown and the announcers don't say anything.  I'm not saying that not one single person in the stadium didn't throw something on the field, but there was absolutely nothing widespread

The only time I can remember even something remotely happening like that was the Bedlam 2013 game in the west end zone.  But those fuckers deserved it because fuck OU.

I’m just telling you, I was there on about the 40 yard line, maybe 25-30 rows up, and it was more than one or two bottles of water. I’m not sure which sideline I was behind. The fieldhouse/basketball arena was to my left. The trash was thrown from the seats down to my right. It was a substantial amount and lasted a few seconds. It absolutely happened. I was not yet drunk. And Joe’s happened after the game. I had one oSu guy get mildly pissed off at me for offering to buy him a beer, in addition to the late-40’s/early 50’s lady who knocked our tower of Joe’s cups all over the second floor of the joint. 

But I do love me some Stillwater, and I’d say y’all’s behavior that year was out of character for your usually friendly fans. I’ve been multiple times and I have friends up there to this day that I met on road trips. I’d send my kid there, and I will vouch for y’all’s friendliness with the 07 trip as a significant outlier. 

Some of our fans threw trash on the field during the 1995 Sugar Bowl. But I think it was at our team.
I was at that game and I don't remember that. But then again, I was 13 and all I could think about was my next chance to fap.

23 years later and that's still pretty much all I think about.
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

But I will also concede it was not widespread throughout the stadium. It came from one area. Possibly students. 

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

Great.  My favorite big 12 road trip.

I will second this response to @Tailgate . Stillwater is also my favorite Big 12 road trip. Everyone is really friendly, OSU campus is beautiful, and the tailgates have great food. I think we're both united in our hatred for OU. I've been to every Texas/OSU game in Stillwater since 2007 and will continue this streak on Saturday (although the 07 environment was interesting because that was the 21 point comeback game).

• Like 1

Speaking of drinking, not sure you guys know or not but our retarded-ass booze laws finally changed on Oct. 1.  So you can now get cold high-point beer in grocery stores, liquor stores, etc., in Oklahoma. And the big macro-brews (Coors, Bud, etc.) are no longer 3.2 abv... they are 4.2 or whatever they are everywhere else.

And oh yeah - we are also selling beer in the stadium.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Whatever said:

I was at that game and I don't remember that. But then again, I was 13 and all I could think about was my next chance to fap.

23 years later and that's still pretty much all I think about.

It was in one endzone, at least primarily, and just before the end of the game. Lots of cups and whiskey bottles. Seems like we wanted a roughing the passer or something called, but it wasn't.

11 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Speaking of drinking, not sure you guys know or not but our retarded-ass booze laws finally changed on Oct. 1.  So you can now get cold high-point beer in grocery stores, liquor stores, etc., in Oklahoma. And the big macro-brews (Coors, Bud, etc.) are no longer 3.2 abv... they are 4.2 or whatever they are everywhere else.

And oh yeah - we are also selling beer in the stadium.

Yep, no more 3.2.  Everything at the gas station is the same as you get in Texas.  But if you're in Stillwater, give Iron Monk a chance.  Local craft brew and is pretty good.

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yep, no more 3.2.  Everything at the gas station is the same as you get in Texas.  But if you're in Stillwater, give Iron Monk a chance.  Local craft brew and is pretty good.

Any idea if the free lots with shuttles around the high school and downtown fill up pretty early in the day?

6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Any chance Gundy makes a QB change for Sat? Supposedly the freshman qb's parents have been publicly calling for him to start 

I'd put the chance at .00001%. 

And the Spencer Sanders "parents calling for him to start" was basically just his mom sending out one tweet last week saying something like "give my boy a chance."

You can see my earlier reply in this thread about it for more details, but the TL;DR version is that Gundy tends to go with the "experienced" QB over the more talented one every single time until his hand is forced by injury or just completely putrid play. 

And while Cornellius hasn't been great, he's been far from putrid.  He's just basically been really inconsistent.  For example, he put up much better numbers against Iowa State than Will Grier did, but then he was really shitty in the Kansas State game.

So basically, I would be extremely shocked if Sanders played, barring an injury to Cornelius.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Any idea if the free lots with shuttles around the high school and downtown fill up pretty early in the day?

Doubt they fill up early in the day with the 7 p.m. kickoff.  I usually roll into town mid-morning and I know that at least the lot by the high school is generally pretty empty at that point.  

As long as you don't show up at like 5:00 I think you'll be fine.

ALSO -- if you are driving and arriving in the morning keep in mind that the Homecoming Parade will be Saturday morning in between 9-12 on Main Street.

29 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Any chance Gundy makes a QB change for Sat? Supposedly the freshman qb's parents have been publicly calling for him to start 

It's possible.  Jeff is somewhat right, though I'm a little less cynical.  Gundy has said several times during the bye week that there will be no personnel changes.  Gundy is very weird with the media and intentionally lies because he considers it gamesmanship.  I could actually see a chance (less than 5% but a chance) that we see Dru Brown or Spencer Sanders.  Gundy is loyal to experienced QBs but at some point he gets upset at losing and I can see this being a game he pulls the trigger. 

But I think it's more likely that we play Cornelius.  If we lose, I'd give a 33% chance we see one of those other QBs the following week against Baylor, because they can both play and preserve their redshirts (though I assume the bowl game counts so he may wait til the following week against OU.