Texas @ OSU 10/27 7:00 PM ABC

MirrOlure

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He played poorly in the UMD game and got passed up by Cook as the first CB sub. He's supposed to be technically solid but really skinny.

Awesome. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. 

Why are we getting within 1 game of burning his RS? Are we that thin at corner? 

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Awesome. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. 

Why are we getting within 1 game of burning his RS? Are we that thin at corner? 

Cook's shirt has been burned. We're not interested in preserving it; we need him to be ready for next year when he will almost certainly be a starter.

17 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

I wouldn't worry too much about them as long as they can tackle.  If they blow a coverage and we have a guy running wide open, TC will miss him by at least 5 yards.  That's why I don't really agree Jeff's last comment.  I'd guess he's missed two TD passes a game by missing wide open receivers.  I don't expect him to be Mason, but he has to hit at least one out of every two or three of those.  He's missed almost every one this year.  Almost, so miracles do happen.  His numbers are ok because he feasted on the high school teams we played early and he throws a lot of short high percentage passes and Hill and the receivers are getting a lot of YAC.  

Obviously, I'm extremely down on this team and I think Cornshit is the biggest problem, though I know I'm lying and the OL is the really the biggest problem.  The combination of a porous OL and a QB that seems to have shitty pocket awareness has been disastrous.   Maybe Jeff will come along and tell me how wrong I am and make me feel better about this game, but nothing I've read has filled me with confidence.  

He's completing nearly 60% of his passes, so it's not like he's missing wide open receivers all day long. The passes he tends to miss on are deep balls down the boundary and deep posts, which happened to be Mason Rudolph's strengths.  (Rudolph also had James Washington who very often would bail him out when he did make an errant deep throw. Tylan Wallace is pretty good, but he's not James Washington).

Cornellius' biggest problem is that he's been inconsistent.  He's had two halves where he was pretty bad (2nd half of both Tech and KSU) but he's also had at least two games where he was excellent (Boise and Iowa State) and has ranged from average to above average for the rest of the time.  (I kept telling people at the time that his performance against Iowa State, who has a very legit defense, was really good.  ISU just made Will Grier look silly last weekend.)

My problem with playing him isn't so much that he's not good enough. He's an above average college QB who, if put in the right situation, could be really successful.  He's basically a taller version of Clint Chelf, who was a fine college QB who led us to double-digit wins and within one game of a Big 12 title.  The big difference is that the coaches created game plans that played to Chelf's strength and we also had a really good defense that year.

But if the coaches aren't going to design a game plan to his strengths that help us win NOW, then I do think it's kind of pointless to play him.  Put Sanders in there and let him start gaining experience to build for the future. 

Because forcing Cornellius to execute an offense designed around Mason Rudolph chucking 40-yard deep balls to James Washington when we should be executing a QB power run/play action/short pass offense with the backs and receivers we have is just stupid.

39 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I guess. But ASU isn’t the brand Texas is either. It’s just tiresome is my point. 

The press has been using riffs of "Houston, we have a problem" since Tom Hanks uttered that line. I fully expect, "Texas is/isn't back!/Is Texas back?" to stick around until something catchier comes along to annoy us.

4 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I'll grant you that, among my friends, my outlook is often described as strongly vaginal, but I've got a bad feeling about this game.

Live in the world of data, not feelings.  Our starting QB is coming off a shoulder injury and may not play.  His backup didn't look as good, and means some of the power in power spread is deleted, plus  our starting corners are out for the first quarter and OSU has big talented receivers.  On top of this, teams have figured out how to exploit the lack of athleticism at a couple of positions in our back 7.  OSU and their coaches are getting shit on in the media and around campus, so they have a chip on their shoulder.  Plus they want to take advantage of the night home crowd and Texas ranking to create supposedly-illusory-but-very-real momentum.  Justice Hill is really good and our LB's haven't been so hot in the last couple of games.

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Live in the world of data, not feelings.  Our starting QB is coming off a shoulder injury and may not play.  His backup didn't look as good, and means some of the power in power spread is deleted, plus  our starting corners are out for the first quarter and OSU has big talented receivers.  On top of this, teams have figured out how to exploit the lack of athleticism at a couple of positions in our back 7.  OSU and their coaches are getting shit on in the media and around campus, so they have a chip on their shoulder.  Plus they want to take advantage of the night home crowd and Texas ranking to create supposedly-illusory-but-very-real momentum.  Justice Hill is really good and our LB's haven't been so hot in the last couple of games.

We're also 6-1 having won 6 straight and currently ranked as the 6th best team in the country with what is pretty clearly the best defense in the B12.

I could write a treatise on all of the matchup problems OSU is going to have on Saturday - let alone issues with playing decent football consistently or knowing how to win games against good opponents. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I could write a treatise on all of the matchup problems OSU is going to have on Saturday - let alone issues with playing decent football consistently or knowing how to win games against good opponents. 

Ian Boyd did just that: http://insidetexas.com/inside-the-gameplan-stillwater-at-night/

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Well shit.

Let’s just stay home then.

10 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

giphy.gif

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Thanks for the share. 

This sums up my thoughts:

Orlando’s pressure packages with B.J. Foster and Gary Johnson along with the normal rush from Charles Omenihu and Breckyn Hager is likely to have an outsized impact on this game because OSU is so poorly equipped to deal with them.

7 minutes ago, South Austin said:

OSU and their coaches are getting shit on in the media and around campus, so they have a chip on their shoulder

I genuinely don’t understand this argument.  I read it as: “OSU has lost some games and looked really bad doing so. Expect them to come out firing on all cylinders”

Something doesn’t make sense there

• Like 1

He also played in the Tulsa game in place of Davis and wasn't great then, either.

Correct. He got beat in the end zone twice, I believe. The way I remember it, one was caught for 6, and the other was dropped.

I could be confusing one of those plays with a Thompson play, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Correct. He got beat in the end zone twice, I believe. The way I remember it, one was caught for 6, and the other was dropped.

Secondary is one of those position groups in which players rarely come in and "get it" right off the bat. DBs almost always get burned a few times before they get smart and learn to cover properly (or don't and get benched). They have to adapt to the speed and physicality of the college game. Safeties have it a little easier than corners because they usually have more cushion to work with. Good ones pick it up pretty quickly. It's just the nature of the position.

And: Kris Boyd is an outlier. He chooses to live on the edge. I think that is much more a reflection of his attitude and mindset than his ability.

40 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We don't have anyone else. Green is too raw, Thompson is the backup nickel and honestly did not look great against Tulsa, and there is no way Donovan Duvernay is our best option.

Also, Thompson hyper-extended his knee in practice last week.......

Edited by LTtxfan

Secondary is one of those position groups in which players rarely come in and "get it" right off the bat. DBs almost always get burned a few times before they get smart and learn to cover properly (or don't and get benched). They have to adapt to the speed and physicality of the college game. Safeties have it a little easier than corners because they usually have more cushion to work with. Good ones pick it up pretty quickly. It's just the nature of the position.

And: Kris Boyd is an outlier. He chooses to live on the edge. I think that is much more a reflection of his attitude and mindset than his ability.

Yeah, I think kids get to college and realize receivers will beat them with route-running, body position, qb timing, etc. It’s not always good enough to be a good athlete. You kinda have to sink or swim and learn to watch film.

As far as Boyd goes, he’s come a LONG way, but you’re right: he’s just aggressive by nature. He’s a plus athlete with plenty of ability and frequently is able to recover when he gets beat on double moves. His style is boom or bust, but even when he’s beat, he manages to get in a position to make the tackle, even if he gives up the completion. I hope the other guys will make similar strides with time and experience.

In Tulsa for work today. So much salt about Texas on the radio. In a nutshell - "OSU has the potential to pull off a big win, but is it that big a win? Texas isn't as good as it's ranking and OU is still better."

Need a TTLP sticker for the rental car.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In Tulsa for work today. So much salt about Texas on the radio. In a nutshell - "OSU has the potential to pull off a big win, but is it that big a win? Texas isn't as good as it's ranking and OU is still better."

I’m glad that’s the prevailing attitude up there. Fuck those inbreeders.

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I genuinely don’t understand this argument.  I read it as: “OSU has lost some games and looked really bad doing so. Expect them to come out firing on all cylinders”

Something doesn’t make sense there

Purdue had looked shitty in several games before last Saturday.  College Football is all about matchups.

I am not saying OSU is a good team.  I am saying that predicting a game outcome based on "feelings" is stupid, so if you are going to be pessimistic then be satyanashish about it and have reasons behind your pessimism.  And then you can read an Ian Boyd article and get some optimism based on other reasons.

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Purdue had looked shitty in several games before last Saturday.  College Football is all about matchups.

I am not saying OSU is a good team.  I am saying that predicting a game outcome based on "feelings" is stupid, so if you are going to be pessimistic then be satyanashish about it and have reasons behind your pessimism.  And then you can read an Ian Boyd article and get some optimism based on other reasons.

Purdue has won 4 straight including a beatdown of Illinois the week before they played Ohio St..  Their turnaround coincided with David Blough becoming the starter at QB.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

Scipio's preview is freeeeeee

http://insidetexas.com/oklahoma-state-football-preview/

Truthfully, OSU isn’t that good. But Baylor wasn’t that good and we saw how that went. Their strengths can all be identified and schemed against and their weaknesses are pretty obvious in both their scheme and personnel. Obviously, there are some constraints on the Longhorn side with Boyd and Davis suspended for 1/4 of the game and Ehlinger’s health up in the air, but coming off of the bye this game is a good test of our staff’s game planning ability. If we’re content to just grind, it’s anyone’s game. If Texas can scheme a few big plays isolating Cowboy weaknesses, the Stillwater crowd will start to play against them instead of for them

Edited by texifornia

Let’s see:

osu pissed from losing and having to live with it for two weeks.

Night game in stillwater

halloween

homecoming

1st sellout this year 

recognition of Barry sanders

they hate Texas

they are desperate.

will be very tough game for us, but if we are who we think we are, we should win.

4 hours ago, gmr548 said:

LOL who the hell said that on the radio? Had to be some jagoff OU fan(s) or possibly Pat Jones, who has reached the "old man yells at cloud" point of his career and spends all day every day just talking about how bad *everyone* in the Big 12 is and how the old Big 8 in the 1970s was so much better.

I can tell you for certain that the sentiment among OSU fans is about what we've all been saying in this thread.

Edited by oSuJeff97

2 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Let’s see:

osu pissed from losing and having to live with it for two weeks.

Night game in stillwater

halloween

homecoming

1st sellout this year 

recognition of Barry sanders

they hate Texas

they are desperate.

will be very tough game for us, but if we are who we think we are, we should win.

I feel about this game the same way I felt about the OU game. We are going to win, barring some crazy shit happening. turnovers and players playing out of their minds aside, I just haven't been worried about this game with the match ups and play thus far. To contrast this, I was SUPER worried about Baylor. I've felt doubt and anguish for 2 games all year and they were Maryland and Baylor. 

We could absolutely lose the game, but don't think we do. Hell, Charlie won there with less, against more. Hook'em!