Texas @ OSU 10/27 7:00 PM ABC

MirrOlure

Get over yourself.
"Being a dick" is kind of one of the the organizing principles of Shaggy/Surly.  Yeah, it's a Texas board in origin, but there are tons of fans from other Big 12 schools and all over who have been regular posters here for quite some time.
So pulling the whole, "know your place" shit kind of rings hollow on this particular board at this particular time. That sounds like something I would have read on a Rivals message board in 2003.

That’s Pete for you. He comes in with the cursing,name calling, and exclamation points and he thinks I’m being a dick.
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

This has become really tiresome. Go Pokes specifically called me out on this thread over the OSU game in 2015. He is the one still living in fantasyland over that game to the extent that he felt the need to poke the bear. He’s a shitty poster and he got what he wanted. 

I called you out? I mentioned nobody had called me any names and that made me wonder where you were. And then you show up and don’t disappoint. You are really sensitive. Maybe this internet thing isn’t for someone with your anger issues.
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

So as to the upcoming game, the key to this week is "explosives". OSU's path to victory is hit a bunch of big plays. Their offense is Top 10 in generating explosive plays this year....our defense has struggled preventing them. So get out your Greg Davis explosives counter and track both sides. If there is a significant difference in explosive plays in favor of OSU, they will win....it is probably that simple. Worth mentioning again that the only 2 teams that have scored more than 21 points against Texas are also in the Top 10 in explosiveness this year.  I'd expect Gundy and Co to throw the kitchen sink at Texas in the first quarter-trickeration, misdirection, etc. to get some quick points. They'll look to try to jump Texas the way Maryland did. If OSU is in the 20's in terms of points by halftime, they should be feeling good. OSU will not be able to generate long sustained drives against this defense given Texas' propensity to stop those kinds of drives plus OSU's penalty and turnover issues this year. They are also below average on 3rd and long and have given up lots of sacks and pressure. This is a team that needs to hit big plays and get good field position. Don't be surprised if OSU hits 30 or more this game. The matchups favor that unless turnovers play a big factor. And they could because OSU is -3 for the year and Cornelius has already tossed 8 INT's. 

On offense, Texas will have to be somewhat different out of necessity this game. Even if Ehlinger starts (which we may not know until gametime), he will likely be on a pitch count in terms of QB runs and Texas will probably only use that in key situations (short yardage, goaline, etc.). That means Texas has to change how it sets up the run. Unfortunately, not sure there is any Sam Wyche 2 back offense (think Ickey Woods/James Brooks for the old timers out there) in the playbook so generating run opportunities will be tougher as was seen in the Baylor game with Shane. The QB's should be drilled this week on counting the box and if it is a running play into a stacked box, check to a WR screen and vice versa. Texas had success with that against BU late and think it should be a key component of the "run game" this week. OSU's run defense is average, but can't give them easy looks to defend (i.e run into an 8 man box). Alabama can do that-Texas can't(this year anyway). Gotta hope the downfield passing game is crisper this week now that Shane has had some reps with the ones. Can't afford to miss opportunities that should be available. OSU's defense has been generating sacks this year...it appears to be about the only thing the defense does well which is why 3rd and 10 isn't a winning play for Texas this week, despite the fact that Texas is actually in the Top quartile of 3rd and long conversion percentage this year. Texas needs to go into this game thinking 35 points + is what it will take to win. 

Special teams has a tilt to OSU on the strength of their kicking game. Their kicker is a proven junior who has only missed one attempt this year. Texas' kicker is an emerging freshman that has already missed 5 attempts. Their punting has also been better- Zach Sinor is a veteran who has been netting almost 5 yards more per punt than Bujcevski. At least Buj is coming off his best game as a punter and it was the first week that a bad punt did not lead to opponent points. Neither team has a return game to shout about, but Texas has generated a couple of big punt returns this year. 

Expect a tight game (surprise). I'll buck S&P and say Texas wins (and covers the - 3 spread), but it will be a 4th quarter game. Texas at least knows how to play these types of games this season. 

Now back to reliving 2015 and determining OSU's place amongst the serfs of the Big 12 who must pay homage to the royalty that is Texas. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, PencilPusher said:

If there is a significant difference in explosive plays in favor of OSU, they will win....it is probably that simple. 

I think this is overly simplistic. Doesn’t account for turnovers for one thing. 

Texas is going to make use of the slant and screen to make up for less QB mobility, and OSU is trash. Homecoming be damned, this seems more like a team about to mutiny rather than over perform to avenge a dead player. Texas by 2 TDs 

42 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I think this is overly simplistic. Doesn’t account for turnovers for one thing. 

Texas is going to make use of the slant and screen to make up for less QB mobility, and OSU is trash. Homecoming be damned, this seems more like a team about to mutiny rather than over perform to avenge a dead player. Texas by 2 TDs 

Agreed with this.

But more specifically, we find new and interesting ways to suck each week.  Sometimes the offense plays great but the defense is trash (Iowa State game); sometimes the defense does an OK job but the offense is trash (Kansas State game, 2nd half of Tech game); the special teams, outside of the kicker, is always trash. Oh and we have a fun habit of committing numerous back-breaking penalties.... we average close to 100 yards in penalties per game.

Home field doesn't mean shit. We haven't played really well at home consistently in like 3 years.   Unless Texas goes out and turns the ball over 3(ish) times, they'll roll.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Agreed with this.

But more specifically, we find new and interesting ways to suck each week.  Sometimes the offense plays great but the defense is trash (Iowa State game); sometimes the defense does an OK job but the offense is trash (Kansas State game, 2nd half of Tech game); the special teams, outside of the kicker, is always trash. Oh and we have a fun habit of committing numerous back-breaking penalties.... we average close to 100 yards in penalties per game.

Home field doesn't mean shit. We haven't played really well at home consistently in like 3 years.   Unless Texas goes out and turns the ball over 3(ish) times, they'll roll.

I wouldn't say you are trash, but this year you are Maryland with better offensive talent & coaching. While the analysis above was somewhat simplistic, I do think OSU has shown the ability to hit big plays all year (you are 5th in big play rate in the country....Texas by comparison is ranked 107th) and our defense has shown a propensity to give them up. If you were to look at the scoring drives against us this year, they almost all have 1 or 2 20+ yard plays on the drive. No one is going 10 plays and 70+ yards against our defense much at all this year (which is a contrast to what our offense is doing to most defenses). Mentioned that penalties and turnovers were a big governor in your offense and if they pop up, you won't get to 30.

If OSU executes at an average level on offense and hits 8-10 20+ yard plays, I don't see why they don't get to 30 on our defense. By the way,  OSU is averaging a 20+ yard play every 8-9 snaps this year, so getting 8-10 may not be a stretch. It sounds like your issue is consistency and that is the one area I think Texas has done a significantly better job then OSU this year is execution, particularly on offense. If Texas rolls, it will be because we limit the big play coupled with continued excellence in offensive execution (limiting turnovers, high 3rd down conversion rate, few sacks allowed).

Lets see what happens. I still forsee a 35-31 type game. S&P has us losing by a touchdown. Vegas sees us by a FG. Should be interesting. 

40 minutes ago, PencilPusher said:

If OSU executes at an average level on offense and hits 8-10 20+ yard plays, I don't see why they don't get to 30 on our defense. By the way,  OSU is averaging a 20+ yard play every 8-9 snaps this year, so getting 8-10 may not be a stretch. It sounds like your issue is consistency and that is the one area I think Texas has done a significantly better job then OSU this year is execution, particularly on offense. If Texas rolls, it will be because we limit the big play coupled with continued excellence in offensive execution (limiting turnovers, high 3rd down conversion rate, few sacks allowed).

Averages sound good when discussing statistics, but so does mentioning that they played South Alabama and Missouri State early on. Did you account for that? How about the fact that they only put up 17 on Tech and 12 on Kansas State, and already have a game against Kansas to factor into their statistics?

• Like 1

Averages sound good when discussing statistics, but so does mentioning that they played South Alabama and Missouri State early on. Did you account for that? How about the fact that they only put up 17 on Tech and 12 on Kansas State, and already have a game against Kansas to factor into their statistics?

Yep. T Poon averages paying the refs $100K per game.....

1 hour ago, BurdineBandit said:

Even the Boise St. game seems to have been somewhat closer than the blowout it looks like reading the scoreboard.  2 blocked punts led to 14 points.  Edit, of course considering how close we've had to getting punts blocked, that doesn't make me feel great either.

Edited by Skipper

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Agreed with this.

You're experiencing what we've been suffering through for the last decade: poor QB play. It matters, and the leadership vacuum impacts every aspect of the team. Fortunately for you, I expect Gundy to get it fixed much, much sooner than Mack Brown and Charlie Strong, who are both likely stuck in their offices somewhere, trying to remember where the door is.

Edited by Tex Pete

We've been pretty good at limiting our time without good QB play.  I really think Spencer Sanders will do well for us, or someone we aren't even talking about will step up in the next year or two.  And Corndog would be fine if the o-line was better and if our defense could stop anyone other than Boise State.

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

We've been pretty good at limiting our time without good QB play.  I really think Spencer Sanders will do well for us, or someone we aren't even talking about will step up in the next year or two.  And Corndog would be fine if the o-line was better and if our defense could stop anyone other than Boise State.

I am sure. And I should have said inconsistent QB play. Gundy knows what he is looking for and what he expects from his charges. He won't waste time like we did.

43 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I am sure. And I should have said inconsistent QB play. Gundy knows what he is looking for and what he expects from his charges. He won't waste time like we did.

Wanna bet?  Gundy is the master of wasting games on inferior QBs because they have "experience."  He's just been lucky that a couple of NFL-caliber QBs fell into his lap a few times.  To boot:

• In 2006-07, it was crystal clear to everyone with eyes that Zac Robinson was better than Bobby Reid, but Gundy stubbornly stuck with Reid until it was completely obvious to even him that Robinson needed to be the starter. (As it were, the first Robinson start was the famous "I'm a Man! I'm 40!" game against Texas Tech)
  • Then, in 2009 when Zac Robinson was injured (separated throwing shoulder) Gundy played backup Alex Cate when he had a walk-on named Brandon Weeden on the bench.  After Cate spent a half doing nothing against a terrible Colorado team, he put Weeden in during the second half who promptly threw TD passes all over the place and we came back and won.
  • Then, he refused to put Weeden in during our last two games (Bedlam and bowl game) for some weird reason when it was clear to everyone with eyeballs that Zac Robinson was still injured and ineffective.
  • In 2014 as the team was losing 5 straight games and going into a death spiral, he refused to put in Mason Rudolph (true freshman at the time) after J.W. Walsh was injured and a journeyman transfer named Daxx Garman played instead. Finally, when you guys just about broke Garman in half, Gundy was forced to play Rudolph and we looked like a totally different team.  We finished the season 2-1, beating OU in Norman and winning our bowl game.

In every case above, Gundy favored playing the QB with "experience in the system" over the clearly more talented QB.  And also in every case above, we looked like a totally different team when the better/more talented QB came in, from Zac Robinson in '07 to Brandon Weeden in '09 to Mason Rudolph in '14.

I don't know if Spencer Sanders is going to be the next great OSU QB, but I'm willing to bet he's more talented than Taylor Cornelius.  I can also guarantee you that Gundy isn't going to play him unless/until his hand is forced if Cornellius gets injured.

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Wanna bet?  Gundy is the master of wasting games on inferior QBs because they have "experience."  He's just been lucky that a couple of NFL-caliber QBs fell into his lap a few times. 

I gotcha. I just meant years and years, like we have done. But I feel your pain.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tailgate said:

How are the fans in Stillwater? Slightly tempted to hop on a plane for this one...never been...but don’t want to fight anyone.

I went to one game (the game Hodges Mitchell took opening play 80 yards to the house) up there, drove up and back in a day from Dallas.  Fans were fine, we spent a little time at Joes, then walked to the game, no issues, nice people.  In my younger years however, Stillwater was a lot of fun...the Wormy Dog, the Weed etc..were fun bars.  Had a bunch of buddies from HS that were Sigma Nus there and it was always a hoot.  This was back in the day when Garth Brooks worked the door at one of those bars.