2018 - 2019 Dallas Mavericks: Throw Some D's

CBT

Probably a friendly take for this group, but I agree with Kirk Henderson: Wes and Barnes (and Carlisle, to the extent that he’s putting the ball in their hands at bad times) are the problem, not DSJ. DSJ+Luka together are too intriguing to give up on now.
Barnes and Matthews are both nice role players who are being asked to do things that aren’t ideal for them. The Mavs should trade them for what they can, ideally promising youth.

Been on this take since all this DSJ drama started. You don't give up on a young player that quickly. You make it work or find a coach that can. I've advocated for a fresh new coach for awhile now. I think it's time. Rick isn't the best with a young, blossoming team. He's much better suited for the team we had when he got here, which was led by a veteran nucleus.

Damn I love it.  First off Hardaway fits next to Doncic much better(but has a lot of money on that contract right now. But Porzingas is absolutely a perfect big to mix with Doncic.  Plus it means DFS and Kleber getting more time and less Mathews and disinterested DAJ.

Love it.

Considering Hardaway will be here at least 1 more year, and is probably an upgrade over Mathews right now(at least offensively), I'll take it.  And the Mavs will STILL have cap space this offseason.  Not a huge Max space, but enough to fill out the roster better.

Also more time for Kleber who's playing time is hit or miss at times.

Fuck yeah they are.  A year and a half to sell him on the team and the Mavs get to see if he's healthy before offering him Max money.  Works for both parties.

Plus, the Mavs have shown they will do whatever it takes to win now when they trying to.  With young guys like KP and Doncic, they actually look like a destination instead of just having Dirk on his last legs.

This is one of those trades where everything just happens to come together for the Mavs. I don't think NY wanted to max him out and instead think they are going to be able to sign some combo of the big fa's available this summer. Mavs had expiring contracts and one young piece worth trading for so were able to take advantage. Just need KP to stay healthy now.

Another thing to mention is that this could throw a serious wrench in the power base of the Western Conference in the long term.  The Knicks will be able to sign 2, and possibly 3 max contracts in the offseason.  If they can keep KP, the Mavs could seriously put themselves into position to compete for the West in the next 2-4 years as some of the big dogs head to play in MSG 41 nights/year.

Man the Knicks fans are not only trashing KP on his way out(all he did was complain, he didn't want to be there, ect…), but they believe they're getting not just Zion but like 2 KD/Kyrie level Max FA's.

It'll suck if they get they 3rd pick and end up with like Jimmy Butler and Tobias Harris, lolz.

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

Man the Knicks fans are not only trashing KP on his way out(all he did was complain, he didn't want to be there, ect…), but they believe they're getting not just Zion but like 2 KD/Kyrie level Max FA's.

It'll suck if they get they 3rd pick and end up with like Jimmy Butler and Tobias Harris, lolz.

It would be more Knick-like to give DJ an extension and pay raise and trading for Blake Griffin.

So Dallas is sending a future protected 1st round pick that conveys 2 years after they settle the current protected 1st rounder going to Atl.

Since that pick is probably gone this year...that just means they'll have their first rounder 2020, then probably give up the first round in 2021. 

15 minutes ago, Drew said:

Lol The New York Knicks are essentially Aggy of the NBA. 

17 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Another thing to mention is that this could throw a serious wrench in the power base of the Western Conference in the long term.  The Knicks will be able to sign 2, and possibly 3 max contracts in the offseason.  If they can keep KP, the Mavs could seriously put themselves into position to compete for the West in the next 2-4 years as some of the big dogs head to play in MSG 41 nights/year.

I'll believe players want to go to NY when it happens. They haven't been a relevant franchise in about 20 years. I think it will be opposite. You are slowly having players come from the East to West. Lebron was first. Kawhi I think will be next. Already talks of Kyrie wanting to reunite with Lebron. That would be another. 

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

I'll believe players want to go to NY when it happens. They haven't been a relevant franchise in about 20 years. I think it will be opposite. You are slowly having players come from the East to West. Lebron was first. Kawhi I think will be next. Already talks of Kyrie wanting to reunite with Lebron. That would be another. 

No doubt.  Just saying it opens the opportunity for the Knicks to actually attract 2 max deals if they can actually get it done.  Maybe Durant and Kawhi head there rather than the West.  Who knows.  But yeah, the Knicks are a regarded franchise.  But they are the premier team in the most famous city on earth. 

Just now, LurkingHorn said:

So for this season are we pretty much tanking the rest of the way? We get to keep our pick if it's top 5, correct?

Dude no...they don't make this trade if they're not trying to win.  Heck they could be pushing for a playoff spot now as I'll say Hardaway will end up being an upgrade on Mathews, and I've read that KP was close to ready but the KNicks would being cautious.

2 minutes ago, CBT said:

Correct. Looks like Dallas may be sending two 1st round picks. Which...isn't as good. 

I've seen 1, and that's 2 years after they send ATL there's.  Which means 2021 at the earliest, and by then it should be a late 20's pick.  This is a win no matter how they slice it.

Ah ok, I'm see some talk of a second 1st rounder.  All good,  as I don't expect the Mavs to be a lottery team in the next 5-8 years anyways.

Edited by Drew

Probably a friendly take for this group, but I agree with Kirk Henderson: Wes and Barnes (and Carlisle, to the extent that he’s putting the ball in their hands at bad times) are the problem, not DSJ. DSJ+Luka together are too intriguing to give up on now.
Barnes and Matthews are both nice role players who are being asked to do things that aren’t ideal for them. The Mavs should trade them for what they can, ideally promising youth.

Ok but I didn’t know we could get what we got for him. So good luck to DSJ and Wes, IDGAF about DAJ.
Thrilled about the new guys.