2018 College Football Playoff Rankings

LTtxfan

Do we have any representation on the committee? Seems like we’ve been fucked out of our boots all season by them. I know it doesn’t matter this year but in the future when we’re in the playoff picture it will. WSU loses and gets jumped by four 3-loss teams but for some reason we’re the fuckin cut off point.  Penn State being ranked 12 is an absolute joke. Michigan gets anally probed and is still #7. I don’t understand none of this

Just now, A’Dam Psycho said:

Do we have any representation on the committee? Seems like we’ve been fucked out of our boots all season by them. I know it doesn’t matter this year but in the future when we’re in the playoff picture it will. WSU loses and gets jumped by four 3-loss teams but for some reason we’re the fuckin cut off point.  Penn State being ranked 12 is an absolute joke. Michigan gets anally probed and is still #7. I don’t understand none of this

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/college-football-playoff-rankings-2018-release-date-schedule-cfp-selection-day-committee-national-championship/3fksxpsq3org1g5ssx1rk4umi

Bill Hancock, Executive director 
Ron Mullens, Chair Oregon athletic director  
Joe Castiglione, Oklahoma athletic director  
Chris Howard, Robert Morris University president 
Herb Deromedi, former Central Michigan coach 
Jeff Bower, former Southern Miss coach  
Ronnie Lott, former USC defensive back  
Bobby Johnson, former Vanderbilt coach 
Scott Stricklin, Florida athletic director  
Gene Smith, Ohio State athletic director 
Frank Beamer, former Virginia Tech coach  
Paola Boivin, former reporter for The Arizona Republic  
Ken Hatfield, former Rice, Air Force, Clemson, Arkansas coach 
Todd Stansbury, Georgia Tech athletic director  
Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Loco said:

Yeah, well wait till Baseball season smart guy!

Is ND a playoff threat?

ND is the biggest fraud out there right now... I hope Kelly gets his extension before the bowl game, cause those boys are gonna get papal treatment.

Hey, even the sun shines on a cats ass every 31 years(or however long it's been). 

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/college-football-playoff-rankings-2018-release-date-schedule-cfp-selection-day-committee-national-championship/3fksxpsq3org1g5ssx1rk4umi

This committee shit is just a terrible idea

Just now, A’Dam Psycho said:

This committee shit is just a terrible idea

It is a big reason why we have to bother with a CCG. The supermajority represent conferences that have a CCG. Why the hell would they vote in a Big 12 team with 12 games when their representatives have to take the risk of a 13th game? I am sure the Pac and Big 10 reps will often act as a bloc as will the SEC and ACC reps. Perhaps one of these days the Big 10, Pac, and Big 12 will tell an SEC team to fuck off for only having 8 conference games and for playing 2 G5s and an FCS team OOC. They will probably play that card against an ACC team at some point, because I bet ESPN dictates that they overrate the SEC.

11 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

BlowU influencers on Committee...... 

Joe Castiglione
Director of Athletics, University of Oklahoma

Frank Beamer
Former Head Coach, Virginia Tech

Assistant Head Coach for Offense, Tight Ends and H-Backs

Shane Beamer

Hired at Oklahoma in January 2018 after serving the 2016 and '17 seasons as special teams coordinator and tight ends coach at Georgia.   FULL BIO
Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

At this point there is nothing I want to see more than total chaos

- Bama beats Georgia
- Northwestern beats OSU
- Pitt beats Clemson
- Texas beats OU (because OUsux & fuckOU)
- Utah beats Washington (not really relevant, but still)
- UCF beats Memphis (because I'm not completely insane)

Now tell me who goes to the playoffs

1. Bama
2. Notre Dame (as much as that make me puke)
3. UCF (because why not)
4. ??? (Georgia - fuck no way 2 SEC teams), Clemson (they just lost to PItt), Michy (they sucked donkey dicks in Columbus), OU (as noted above OUsux) .... so yeah, Clemson (and they'd be in at #3, so UCF would have to play Bama.

I know that is all very, very unlikely - but a kid can dream, right?

Clemson drops to #3 (1 loss) and Georgia gets #4 in this scenario. The narrative will be basically "Georgia lost to the number 1 team in the nation while OU and OSU lost to scrubs.." 

Edited by UTEX_ME

Solution: 

- Expand to 8 teams, no stipulations. Just the top ranked 8 teams.

- Rankings are determined by an average of approved computer rankings with completely transparent formulas.

- All conferences must have exactly 10 members, with a 9 game round robin schedule, and 3 OOC games. No conference championship games.

This ensures that no team has to play more than 15 games total. No teams get to skip their conference championship game, and still make the playoff, which is an incredibly unfair advantage. No more superconferences that make no sense. Rankings are not created by a biased human committee. No one gets to bitch if they are #9, you lost too many games or you had a weak SOS.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Kelly goes FULL MB against powerul opponents. I don't agree with you that they are he biggest fraud because Kentucky, Florida, aggy, Miss State, Cuse and Missery but yeah they are a fraud. Undefeated and can actually complete a forward pass, unlike some in my list above. Sadly, probably gonna be Bama that Catholizies them.

I think teams like Florida Texas, lsu (quality 3 loss teams) would muderize ND  ...  Clempson, Bama - lol

4 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Solution: 

- Expand to 8 teams, no stipulations. Just the top ranked 8 teams.

- Rankings are determined by an average of approved computer rankings with completely transparent formulas.

- All conferences must have exactly 10 members, with a 9 game round robin schedule, and 3 OOC games. No conference championship games.

This ensures that no team has to play more than 15 games total. No teams get to skip their conference championship game, and still make the playoff, which is an incredibly unfair advantage. No more superconferences that make no sense. Rankings are not created by a biased human committee. No one gets to bitch if they are #9, you lost too many games or you had a weak SOS.

Take this to the realignment thread...

Realistically here is what we would get:

8 team playoff, P5 champs get autobids. 1 spot reserved for highest ranked G5. Seeding and 2 wild cards picked by ESPN's dingleberry committee.

A less, realistic, and fairer version that isn't stupid:

8 team playoff, P5 champs get autobids. No conference has more than 2 teams. Three wildcards picked from rankings with approved, transparent computer rankings. Same formula would be used for seeding. (Even better if the computer models have to count FCS teams as a negative factor.)

41 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

BlowU influencers on Committee...... 

Joe Castiglione
Director of Athletics, University of Oklahoma

Frank Beamer
Former Head Coach, Virginia Tech

Assistant Head Coach for Offense, Tight Ends and H-Backs

Shane Beamer

Hired at Oklahoma in January 2018 after serving the 2016 and '17 seasons as special teams coordinator and tight ends coach at Georgia.   FULL BIO

ITS A TRAP

3 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Really starting to hate cfb. I long for my youth when we had conference affiliated bowl games and a mythical national champion.

Yep. Where winning your conference was king and whoever sports writers thought was #1 you'd just say "okay, cool. Hook'em!"

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Take this to the realignment thread...

Realistically here is what we would get:

8 team playoff, P5 champs get autobids. 1 spot reserved for highest ranked G5. Seeding and 2 wild cards picked by ESPN's dingleberry committee.

A less, realistic, and fairer version that isn't stupid:

8 team playoff, P5 champs get autobids. No conference has more than 2 teams. Three wildcards picked from rankings with approved, transparent computer rankings. Same formula would be used for seeding. (Even better if the computer models have to count FCS teams as a negative factor.)

What I stated is realistic in the sense that it is completely possible, and makes the most logical sense. It may not be likely due to powerful, selfish member institutions fighting against it, but it is still possible.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Frank Beamer and Todd Stansbury did work on these guys this year.

Shit 12 rep is a Sooner. Southern schools are getting more representation now. 

13 people deciding is peak corruption though. The system was previously broken because it was only two teams, now the top 4 could best be chosen by the old computer/voting system and it would be fine.

4 hours ago, Loco said:

Well, about that... So Tech and KState get credit for playing sec @ home, but sec is weak and only looks good because "every team in that league buys three wins each year" ???

I know what you're saying, but I think you may be getting carried away

USCe vs Clempson

UGa vs GT

UF vs FSU

UK vs Louisville

Missouri vs Purdue

10rc vs WVU

Bama vs Louisville

Auburn vs UW

LSU vs Miami

MSU vs Kstate

Klan Vs Texas Tech

Those games were KSU and Tech's 10th P5 game (Tech also played UH which isn't a gimme), compared to that game being the 9th P5 for MSU and Miss. 

We have teams in the Big 12 that buy 3 wins too.  I am simply saying that if Tech and KSU would have bought a 3rd win instead of playing the SEC teams, they would be going bowling and the only Big 12 team that wouldn't be would be Kansas.  All of the teams in the Big 12 are decent teams, and all but one would be bowl eligible if we copied the SEC charade.  I would post an article link, but seemingly no one in the media gives a shit about this narrative.

And I won't even start on the double narrative of if the Big 12 did schedule 3 paid wins, and the media outcry that would be made against the pathetic scheduling of the Big 12.

Also - please point to where I said the SEC was weak.  I didn't.  I have a degree from UF and live in SEC Country.  I realize it is a very good group of teams, and probably is the best.  But, if you can't recognize the marketing advantage that the SEC has propped themselves up on by playing one game out of conference each year, I don't know what to tell you. There is a significant dose of smoke and mirrors of having 8 conference games with only 2 across divisions with 3 guaranteed wins each year.  It leads to an A&M team that is 5-4 against P5 teams having an 8-4 record and a top 25 ranking.

It is all utter bullshit.  I get that the SEC loves it, and that ESPN isn't going to do anything about it.  But real football is also played outside of the SEC.  I am just waiting for the other conferences to get sick of this shit and do something about it.  

I would say beat them in bowl games, but the SEC went 2-5 in bowls not played by Bammer and UGA last year and it was ignored by the media.  Bammer wins another championship, and we all sing the praises of mighty Bammer and her beautiful sisters in the SEC.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

They are the best team in the country, so if that's the criterion then they clearly deserve to go.

But if they lose to Georgia then they will have only one win over a team with fewer than 4 losses (LSU) and an absolutely atrocious non-conference schedule. It's not their fault that Louisville is so awful this year but Alabama's non-conference opponents were ranked #114, #85, #111, and #161 in Sagarin's ratings. That should definitely be a topic of discussion, but of course it won't and they'll just sail right into the playoff. In all honesty if they lose to Georgia then their résumé won't be that impressive if you only look at wins, losses, schedule, etc. I'd obviously bet on them straight up against any other team, but you mentioned the word résumé and typically that's what people mean by that.

All of this.

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Kelly goes FULL MB against powerul opponents. I don't agree with you that they are he biggest fraud because Kentucky, Florida, aggy, Miss State, Cuse and Missery but yeah they are a fraud. Undefeated and can actually complete a forward pass, unlike some in my list above. Sadly, probably gonna be Bama that Catholizies them.

How so? Assuming Clemson takes Pitt to pound town it will be #2. How is ND going to be surpassed for #3 by anybody unless somehow Georgia beats Bama and two SEC schools get in?

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I don't disagree but the polls and their influence are far worse.

A non-transparent committee who keeps changing the rules to suit their financial interests is just as bad.   I think using the old BCS formula with complete transparency and chosing the top 8 to 16 teams would be ideal and help level he playing field.  Also getting rid of pre-season polls might help some too, but since that drives tv ratings, it's probably not going to happen.   

• Like 1

They are the best team in the country, so if that's the criterion then they clearly deserve to go. But if they lose to Georgia then they will have only one win over a team with fewer than 4 losses (LSU) and an absolutely atrocious non-conference schedule. It's not their fault that Louisville is so awful this year but Alabama's non-conference opponents were ranked #114, #85, #111, and #161 in Sagarin's ratings. That should definitely be a topic of discussion, but of course it won't and they'll just sail right into the playoff. In all honesty if they lose to Georgia then their résumé won't be that impressive if you only look at wins, losses, schedule, etc. I'd obviously bet on them straight up against any other team, but you mentioned the word résumé and typically that's what people mean by that.

Why do computer rankings seem to favor the SEC? Is it their non-conference scheduling and 8 conference games? Im looking at your EWP rankings, and the SEC has 8 teams in the top 14.

Is it my own SEC biases?

1 minute ago, Dark Horse said:

Why does computer rankings seem to favor the SEC? Is it their non-conference scheduling and 8 conference games? Im looking at your EWP rankings, and the SEC has 8 teams in the top 14.

Is it my own SEC biases?

Because it's easier to pad the stats while playing cupcakes.  

18 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Why do computer rankings seem to favor the SEC? Is it their non-conference scheduling and 8 conference games? Im looking at your EWP rankings, and the SEC has 8 teams in the top 14.

Is it my own SEC biases?

It's because the SEC is actually really good this year because the East finally doesn't completely suck. In fact the East was better than the West this year on an average team basis. The conference as a whole is finally as good as everyone thinks they are every year.

3 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

At this point there is nothing I want to see more than total chaos

- Bama beats Georgia
- Northwestern beats OSU
- Pitt beats Clemson
- Texas beats OU (because OUsux & fuckOU)
- Utah beats Washington (not really relevant, but still)
- UCF beats Memphis (because I'm not completely insane)

Now tell me who goes to the playoffs

1. Bama
2. Notre Dame (as much as that make me puke)
3. UCF (because why not)
4. ??? (Georgia - fuck no way 2 SEC teams), Clemson (they just lost to PItt), Michy (they sucked donkey dicks in Columbus), OU (as noted above OUsux) .... so yeah, Clemson (and they'd be in at #3, so UCF would have to play Bama.

I know that is all very, very unlikely - but a kid can dream, right?

I don't think Pitt beats Clemson.... But the rest of it is on the table.  

I think Ohio State will win, but it might be close.   I don't discount Northwestern pulling an upset.

The sad fact remains the most overrated team in all this mess is Norte Dame who gets to sit back and watch everything unfold.  Those ass clowns should be made to join a conference if they want to dance.  No more loose alliances like they have with the ACC or whomever.  If everyone else has to win a conference and/or a conference championship game after the regular season is done, they shouldn't be exempt.  Regardless of record.

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The sad fact remains the most overrated team in all this mess is Norte Dame who gets to sit back and watch everything unfold.  Those ass clowns should be made to join a conference if they want to dance.  No more loose alliances like they have with the ACC or whomever.  If everyone else has to win a conference and/or a conference championship game after the regular season is done, they shouldn't be exempt.  Regardless of record.

Amen.

10 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I don't think Pitt beats Clemson.... But the rest of it is on the table.  

I think Ohio State will win, but it might be close.   I don't discount Northwestern pulling an upset.

or they can schedule a 13th game to be played during CCG week to give that 13th data point.  

• Like 1

Did anyone catch Dan Patrick's show today?

He was proposing an 8 team playoff that begins with this week's CCGs where the teams would be seeded according to rank and wouldn't necessarily pair up conference mates.

Missed what he said about how conferences could decide their champions but it seemed like he really didn't give a flip.

The main selling point was that is expands the playoffs without adding games.

5 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

Did anyone catch Dan Patrick's show today?

He was proposing an 8 team playoff that begins with this week's CCGs where the teams would be seeded according to rank and wouldn't necessarily pair up conference mates.

Missed what he said about how conferences could decide their champions but it seemed like he really didn't give a flip.

The main selling point was that is expands the playoffs without adding games.

I am perfectly fine dumping our stupid championship game. We do not even need it.

Not sure what the other conferences will do...

Ok, I missed it on the show but Dan was commenting on this article.

College football will waste its time this weekend with the relic that is “Conference Championship Weekend” because the powers that be in the sport are old and unimaginative.

To call Saturday an exercise in nonsense and futility doesn’t even describe the inanity of it. It makes no sense. None. Not competitively. Not in terms of entertainment. Not even in generating revenue.

The only reason this is even accepted is that college football fans suffer from Stockholm Syndrome and gladly accept the insanity that’s been repeatedly sold to them.

Start with this very simple lesson: You don’t need to expand the current College Football Playoff. You just need to reform the postseason into something that looks like it was designed by someone with a functioning brain.

In actuality, conference championship weekend – this weekend – is Week One of the college football playoff. That’s the key deal here. Week One.

College football has chosen conference championship weekend as the de facto first round of its playoff. Doing so means that, with justification, it can argue against playoff expansion because it would mean there are too many games for the players.

But what if they scrapped the conference championships and, instead, started an eight-team playoff this weekend?

This is the slate of games (rankings are projected) for the “opening round” of the current postseason:

No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 4 Georgia: Alabama only has to not lose by, say, 50 points and they advance. Georgia either has to win, or maybe just lose by a couple points, to advance.

No. 2 Clemson vs. No. 22 Pitt: Clemson just has to not lose by more than, say, 21 points and they advance. Pitt can’t advance.

No. 3 Notre Dame. Idle. They advance.

No. 5 Oklahoma vs. No. 13 Texas: Oklahoma needs to win, Georgia needs to lose and then they need to win a debate with Ohio State (or have Ohio State lose) to advance. Texas can’t advance.

No. 6 Ohio State vs. No. 18 Northwestern: Ohio State needs to win, Georgia to lose and then they need to win a debate with Oklahoma (or have Oklahoma lose) to advance. Northwestern can’t advance.

No. 7 UCF vs. unranked Memphis: Game is meaningless.

No. 13 Washington vs. No. 16 Utah: Game is meaningless.

If the conference championships were scrapped, here’s what we could have instead, using five automatic bids for the major conferences, three at-large bids and home sites for the first round:

No. 8 Washington at No. 1 Alabama, yes, in Tuscaloosa.

No. 7 UCF at No. 2 Clemson, yes, in Clemson.

No. 6 Ohio State at No. 3 Notre Dame, yes, in South Bend.

No. 5 Oklahoma at No. 4 Georgia, yes, between the hedges.

Which set of games would you choose to be the first round of your postseason/playoff? This is not a trick question.

If you answer the former over the latter, you’re either a bowl director terrified of the playoff being staged in electric and historic on-campus stadiums (while generating economic activity for the towns that support the sport all year long) because people might realize there’s no need to give the bowls the semifinals, either, or you’re an asleep-at-the-wheel conference commissioner.

You can have eight teams with legitimate claims for a playoff spot play each other, or you can have Clemson vs. Pitt.

And forget that we have to determine who won the conferences. There is only one (sort of) conference championship that is in doubt heading into “conference championship weekend.” One.

Alabama won the SEC. Clemson won the ACC. Oklahoma won the Big 12. Washington won the Pac 12. There is no debate here. Check the records. It was settled on the field.

Technically, Ohio State and Northwestern are both tied in the Big Ten with 8-1 league records, but this is a product of severe scheduling imbalance based on geography. It’s map-based welfare. Northwestern lost all three of its non-conference games, including to Akron. It played a weaker schedule. There are 100 ways to break such a tie. Ohio State would win them all. This isn’t hard.

(An aside: If we got rid of conference championship games we could also get rid of the artificial construct of divisions, particularly ones based on direction. Then the schedules would balance out and the actual regular season would improve, too.)

Instead, we get this bastardized version of the sport because the commissioners created it to make money. OK, fine. Conference title games, like basketball conference tournaments, make some money. No one is against making money.

You know what would make even more money? That first round of an eight-team playoff, which would generate massive (and far greater) television contracts, not to mention more ticket sales (bigger stadiums) at higher prices (more demand). And a lot of that money would stay in the places that care about college football – not far-off NFL towns.

For two seats on the aisle for an Ohio State at Notre Dame playoff game, ticket brokers could demand a kidney and a half and then watch a bidding war drive up the price.

The atmosphere for on-campus playoff games would be unreal. No one has ever attended an NFL playoff game in Lambeau or Heinz Field or Mile High or anywhere in America, surveyed the pre-kick frenzy, and thought, “Boy, I wish we got to spend $1,500 on travel so this could take place at some far-away dome or whatever-they-are-calling-that-place-now in Miami.”

If Clemson or Alabama got a slightly easier game against a weaker team, well, that’s the reward for a high seed and why each regular season game would still matter. So, too, would the home-field advantage.

Every game doesn’t matter now, despite what the marketing slogan says. There is virtually no difference between being the No. 1 seed and the No. 4 seed in the current playoff. It’s why ‘Bama has no playoff-related incentive to win Saturday. Or last Saturday for that matter.

Who says no to OSU at ND but yes to Ohio State-Northwestern in Lucas Oil, which doesn’t guarantee the winner makes the playoff but does guarantee Buckeye fans screaming about the selection committee on talk radio all week?

College football doesn’t need an expanded playoff. Repeat: NO expansion. It needs postseason reform. It needs some thought put into this. The conference title game has outlasted its usefulness. The games don’t matter anymore. Losers can get in. Winners can get left out. In each of the last two years, teams that didn’t even make the conference title game got into the playoff. Some major conferences (yes, you Pac-12) are repeatedly marginalized.

In this year’s first round of the playoff, four teams (including Georgia) can either not play or lose by a respectable score and still advance to the semifinals. Nine teams can win and not advance.

This is the system? Yes, this is the actual system.

At least there is a quick fix available.

Get rid of the useless games that generate less excitement, less money and less meaning and replace them with awesome games that generate more excitement, more money and more meaning. It’s simple.

How is anyone against this?

Seriously?

Eh, that's a completely pro-sports driven view of the college postseason.  Which isn't surprising given that the author, Dan Wetzel, went to a college with no notable sports (UMass-Amherst).  And it's similarly not surprising that Dan Patrick would view it similarly, having gone to Dayton University.  They just have no idea what big-time college football is all about, where rivalries and conference championships are meaningful.  Guys like this always tend to want to make college football into an NFL-Lite, and I have zero desire for that to happen.

• Like 2

I didn't read it that way at all. I saw it more as college football has lost it's way - these CCGs are not what makes college football the game that we love so much. Rarely do they feature matchups between storied rivals. Texas/OU this year is an exception.

While it would benefit Texas to win this weekend we all know and understand it's silly to be playing the game following a full round robin schedule.

I believe Wetzel is advocating that the other leagues change up their schedules and follow a similar format.

Well I'll agree that college football has lost its way, but attempting to be more like the NFL isn't going to help, it just drives it further along an incorrect path.

How are 14+ team conferences supposed to decide their champions, if not with a CCG?

I'm fine with advocating reducing the size of conferences, but that's not realistic, and it's also not what he's saying.

What he IS saying, is this bullshit:

"And forget that we have to determine who won the conferences. There is only one (sort of) conference championship that is in doubt heading into “conference championship weekend.” One.

Alabama won the SEC. Clemson won the ACC. Oklahoma won the Big 12. Washington won the Pac 12. There is no debate here. Check the records. It was settled on the field."

The only one what makes sense for, is OU.  Alabama didn't play 5 of the 7 teams in the other division.  How on Earth could they be declared "conference champs" without at least playing the top team from the other division-- you know-- in a conference championship game.

And similar is true for all of the other conferences not named the B12.  This proposal is just completely unrealistic,  and glosses over the important detail that in a large super-conference, you can't just declare a winner, you have to play for it.

7 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Well I'll agree that college football has lost its way, but attempting to be more like the NFL isn't going to help, it just drives it further along an incorrect path.

How are 14+ team conferences supposed to decide their champions, if not with a CCG?

I'm fine with advocating reducing the size of conferences, but that's not realistic, and it's also not what he's saying.

"And forget that we have to determine who won the conferences. There is only one (sort of) conference championship that is in doubt heading into “conference championship weekend.” One.

Alabama won the SEC. Clemson won the ACC. Oklahoma won the Big 12. Washington won the Pac 12. There is no debate here. Check the records. It was settled on the field."

The only one what makes sense for, is OU.  Alabama didn't play 5 of the 7 teams in the other division.  How on Earth could they be declared "conference champs" without at least playing the top team from the other division-- you know-- in a conference championship game.

And similar is true for all of the other conferences not named the B12.  This proposal is just completely unrealistic,  and glosses over the important detail that in a large super-conference, you can't just declare a winner, you have to play for it.

I might be thinking of DP's commentary but I thought one of them mentioned the conference sizes and divisions being out of whack and that the leagues needed to all use the same format - but I can see that being an NFL-lite comparison too.

13 hours ago, utee94 said:

I for one would love to see CFB get to an NFL-like post-season tournament.  Putting every programs destiny in their own hands would just make the sport better and level the playing field.  It has much greater appeal than what we've had for the past century.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MacLaren said:

I for one would love to see CFB get to an NFL-like post-season tournament.  Putting every programs destiny in their own hands would just make the sport better and level the playing field.  It has much greater appeal than what we've had for the past century.   

We’ve got saturday football and Sunday football...Sunday’s good for you

• Like 3

I agree with the idea to get rid of the conference championship games. They are useless. Create a transparent ranking system, using the ap poll and computers. Merge the BCS and the playoff. 8 teams is enough, and Texas might be close to the top 8 with LSU/Florida in the old BCS.

12 games, must play 9 conference games and at least 1 P5 affliated school OOC.  Which includes the G5 schools.

I would eliminate the coaches poll because it fucking sucks.

Right now it would be

Michigan @Bama

UCF @Clemson

Ohio State @ND

OU @Georgia

Those games are much more interesting that the current lineup of conference championship games.

Edited by HtownHorn

14 minutes ago, MacLaren said:

No thank you, the NFL brand of football sucks.   Just saying their post season format is what they actually get right compared to what CFB has right.  

What about their post-season format, other than it just being bigger. You mention above every program “controlling its own destiny”. Every single P5 program has that already, there is just less room for error. I think what people always gloss over is that the 12th rated NFL team is MUCH closer to the #1 team in terms of “quality” than in college, even though there are 130 programs (or 66ish power 5 + worth inds) vs 32 in the NFL. The 12th seed in the NFL playoff has a somewhat reasonable chance to win it all. #12 in college (currently Penn State) has a snowballs chance in hell, pretty much every year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacLaren said:

The CFB is not the NFL. The CFB does not have 32 teams of roughly equivalent parity. A 10-6 Giants team that finished second in a four-team division winning it all in a playoff that nearly half the bloody league gets to go to is exciting in the NFL. The CFB equivalent would be unpalatable, and for good reason. It would end up like the NFL with teams resting starters and not caring if they win or lose.

Blindly making the group larger and larger doesn't 'fix the problem'. Neither does aping the NFL system. They make much more money under the current system and no one thinks there is so much parity that the number 16 team has a legitimate claim at a championship. The absolute most I would ever want to see is 8. All P5 conference Champs get an auto bid if they're above a minimum win threshold, highest ranked G5 champion gets in, next 2 highest ranked teams. 

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

The CFP is way better than the BCS, the committee rankings seem to be worse than the BCS formula...but not by much and maybe not in a meaningful way.

I am very surprised an ohio state university did not jump ou.  Shocked really.  Yes they have a bad loss but it was a night game on the road.  And they just destroyed a team the committee still thinks is top 10 (Michigan at 7 after that performance...how?).  I don't understand it.  Florida and LSU still being top 10 is a joke.  The whole thing reeks of SEC bias and like someone said up thread, conferences that take it easy via scheduling get rewarded for it so why change?

Alabama and ND are in.  Georgia and Clemson control their own destiny for the final 2 spots.  OU gets in if we get chalk results this week.  An ohio state university obviously needs ou to lose and them to win to get in.  If 4-5-6 lose then I am pretty sure Georgia gets in if they keep it within 3 scores to Alabama.  But, Alabama is going to destroy everyone.  This is the most competitive the sport has ever been and they are suffocating every team they play, first half v Citadel being the extreme outlier.  Crazy stat I heard on a pod, only one other team ever has gone 12-0 with winning every game by 22+...the 1888 Yale Bulldogs went 13-0 beating an undefeated Princeton team 10-0 in their final game.  Assuming they beat Georgia by more than 11 (spoiler: they will), they will be the first team to go 13-0 with an 11+ point margin of victory in all of those wins.

Anyway, 8 team playoff is the way to go.  Get rid of divisions (SEC teams play the opposing division teams outside of their one cross division rival once every 6 years...) and get rid of CCGs, which are just money grabs that can only hurt the best team in the conference most years, like this one.  Make it to where you have to play 9 conference games and 11 FBS games to qualify.  This fixes a lot of shit.  Get rid of the committee and use some kind of objective formula so we won't have final week leap frogging explained by moving goal posts.