Official Surly - Texas at OK State Game Thread

Vertigo

Just now, Luka Skywalker said:

This team isn’t that talented. Good to Average talent will get beat if they don’t play sound football. The team looked like they thought they could just show up and win.

This team is very far off from showing up and winning football games.

I think that’s it. We just aren’t very talented. Orlando has some splaining to do, but really, we don’t have many if any playmakers on defense. 

Despite all the mistakes, we lost because we did nothing on the first two drives of the second half. Score a TD on either of those and we win the game. I didn’t like throwing on every down. When we got back to mixing in the run, we started getting going again.

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Boyce and cook didn’t exactly acquit themselves well in the first quarter. You know the one where the defense gave up 260 yards?

And at the same time, they didn't really look any worse than Boyd. I'm saying I'd rather have them next year than what we are getting now from Boyd.

Just now, Irish Wrist Watch said:

This team has plenty of talent. They're a little light in a few positions, but with some real top of the line coaching, they would be pretty damn good. That said, we're probably good enough to take OU in the Big 12 finale (or we will be by the time we get there).

Need pass rushers and LBs

Looking back, we should have expected this outcome when three key players had to sit because they were late to meetings. That means the team was not serious about game prep in the bye week. OSU was and it was evident. Maybe this will wake them up.

Edited by elnimo

12 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

How do we look so unprepared for the first defensive drive every game? It's like a free touchdown every time.

And don’t forget the delay of game or false start the first play after our kickoff return to the 15. 

I've seen a LOT of Horns football games, watching since mid-60's, season tickets since '69.  Lots of good times, too many bad games lately.  I HATE LOSING.  Just hate it.  Spoils my Sundays for sure.  The wife and dog hides cause I'm not fun to be around.  These coaches and players better hate  losing as much as I do and feel the pain that losing causes.  Tonight's game should make them all feel bad and work hard so that it doesn't happen again.  We can do better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stork642 said:

If Boyd is a future legit NFL corner then I'm a male supermodel.   Pretty sure Jones isn't leaving early for the NFL also.  If he does he may be going the free agent route.  

So Jones is coming back for his Senior year? Shit, let me go down another one

1 hour ago, ruitxn said:

Hager is just being Hager. He has been this way since he got here.  I think Orlando is a good DC, but it is on him that he sucks up to Hager. We have bigger, stronger, better D ends who should be getting majority of playing time. I don’t understand not playing your best athletes. Coach them up damn it.

Hager and Omenihu were playing like idiots for 90% of the game. They would get 10 snaps total combined if they were playing behind Robison/Crowder. Two REAL BAMFs who got 1% of the hype of Hager/Omenihu.

defensive-ends-brian-robison-and-tim-cro

• Like 2

Take the loss, Pussies.

And good game pokes. Your team played inspired tonight unlike ours... Until it was too late.

We got Texas'd tonight. Clawed back in with a chance to win just to have that door slammed in our face. Fitting.

Hager would be a beast if he actually tackled the ball carrier. Hell if just recognized who had the ball and got in front of them instead of shooting past them looking at the wrong guy, we would probably be the run D in the country.

Refs sucked once again... The punt call was a joke. As were a couple others. But it wasn't the refs that cost us this one. This one was lost in multiple areas.

_iaz running the defense while Orlando took an entire quarter to take a shit was one big reason.  Orlando's ability to make adjustments at halftime is amazing. It's almost as amazing as his ability to wiff on what to expect from teams at the start.  I think someone needs to teach him how to use the remote because obviously he's never watched game film on any opponent. At times his calls look genius, but guaranteed to be followed up with the WTF call shortly after. I swear this fucker is a gemini. Half Mike Ditka (generous), part Manny _ias.

I don't recall ever seeing a team have so many big plays--HUGE plays--get called back over stupid penalties that are completely unnecessary... HERE IS LOOKING AT YOU, SENIORS. How can our seniors be this undisciplined. Unreal. So many Bonehead mistakes for a senior class.

We do have heart and that Texas FIGHT we've been missing for a long time. One game at a time. This team is still ahead of where most of us thought it would be at the start of the season. It's a young team with plenty of room to grow (thank you jesus)

I was still a little hesitant on Sam (gun shy), but after tonight, (for me) he is for real. I've never would've believed he could become a rock solid field General after last year. His turnaround has been unparalleled in school history. The wheel he hit tonight, for me, will rank high as one of the prettiest connections in school hostory.  I never would have believed he could inprove his accuracy this much since last year. It makes me wonder if there wasn't a shoulder (or something) injury last year. Either way, Sam I Am!

Herman.  I still don't know what i think about him...  He has the tools to be a great coach. But he can look completely clownish too often during games... I hope it's just lack of experience and he will find the grove between aggressive, smart, conservative, big, and sane. Hopefully each of these games are something he is learning from right along with the team...  Overall he has been good for Texas and is laying the foundation Strong promised of mental and physical toughness our program is supposed to be built upon.

On to the next...  Hopefully this is the one where the team and the coaches show up for all 4 quarters and give us fans something to get excited about for the rest of the season and especially looking at next...

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Damn I wish we came back and won. Shit was epic.  Sam being all vincey sayin “ we got this shit, just give me the fuckin ball”. 

I was rock hard. Tv blasting the fight song. Shot gunning a PBR, cuz I like cheap beer.  Damn.  Fuck. 

It got exciting for sure. Disappointing for sure but too many stupid mistakes to overcome. At least we played well in the second half and did t go out like bitches.  Team that showed up the first half likely loses the next three games. Team that showed up the second half has a shot  

Hope they can get refocused and show up in the first half against WV and play some defense for 4 quarters. 

• Like 1

All the vitriol and genuine anger and disappointment on this board says it all. Used to be apathetic disgust and resignation due to Lowered expectations over the last decade. We”re apparently on the right trajectory. Good times ahead. Soon. Expecting to win every game again feels good.

Edited by Wishbone

4 hours ago, Tom Chairman said:

Ran out of time? That's some aggy shit right there.

Hey mongoloid, go have your care taker re-read what I wrote for you. I didn't say we ran out of time. I said Ehlinger could have won the game with one more possession. I.E. the defense should have done their fucking job and given him a stop when we needed it.

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

He didn’t go after QB. He went after the slot back. Bush league maybe but they’re still playing football right?

Yeah, but it isn’t received well. Even when I played, which was a long fucking time ago. You stand down once a team goes victory formation. Regardless of your passion, your peers will think your just a dick. Even NFL guys don’t violate that formation. 

I am just sick of our players doing stupid shit.  The blatant out of bounds hit by our kicker and the running over the shoulder catch of a punt inside the ten were only two of many baffling mistakes.   That game was a well-earned defeat by a number of dumbasses and it just seems it never ends.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gaffords said:

Take the loss, Pussies.

And good game pokes. Your team played inspired tonight unlike ours... Until it was too late.

We got Texas'd tonight. Clawed back in with a chance to win just to have that door slammed in our face. Fitting.

Hager would be a beast if he actually tackled the ball carrier. Hell if just recognized who had the ball and got in front of them instead of shooting past them looking at the wrong guy, we would probably be the run D in the country.

Refs sucked once again... The punt call was a joke. As were a couple others. But it wasn't the refs that cost us this one. This one was lost in multiple areas.

_iaz running the defense while Orlando took an entire quarter to take a shit was one big reason.  Orlando's ability to make adjustments at halftime is amazing. It's almost as amazing as his ability to wiff on what to expect from teams at the start.  I think someone needs to teach him how to use the remote because obviously he's never watched game film on any opponent. At times his calls look genius, but guaranteed to be followed up with the WTF call shortly after. I swear this fucker is a gemini. Half Mike Ditka (generous), part Manny _ias.

I don't recall ever seeing a team have so many big plays--HUGE plays--get called back over stupid penalties that are completely unnecessary... HERE IS LOOKING AT YOU, SENIORS. How can our seniors be this undisciplined. Unreal. So many Bonehead mistakes for a senior class.

We do have heart and that Texas FIGHT we've been missing for a long time. One game at a time. This team is still ahead of where most of us thought it would be at the start of the season. It's a young team with plenty of room to grow (thank you jesus)

I was still a little hesitant on Sam (gun shy), but after tonight, (for me) he is for real. I've never would've believed he could become a rock solid field General after last year. His turnaround has been unparalleled in school history. The wheel he hit tonight, for me, will rank high as one of the prettiest connections in school hostory.  I never would have believed he could inprove his accuracy this much since last year. It makes me wonder if there wasn't a shoulder (or something) injury last year. Either way, Sam I Am!

Herman.  I still don't know what i think about him...  He has the tools to be a great coach. But he can look completely clownish too often during games... I hope it's just lack of experience and he will find the grove between aggressive, smart, conservative, big, and sane. Hopefully each of these games are something he is learning from right along with the team...  Overall he has been good for Texas and is laying the foundation Strong promised of mental and physical toughness our program is supposed to be built upon.

On to the next...  Hopefully this is the one where the team and the coaches show up for all 4 quarters and give us fans something to get excited about for the rest of the season and especially looking at next...

That